Thread: Need for Speed: Carbon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Need for Speed: Carbon

Those of you who liked NFS:Most Wanted will enjoy NFS:Carbon as well. I've been playing it for about a week now (six hours into it I'm 50% done).

Carbon takes the NFS series out of the rural woods (like Most Wanted) and back into neon-lit cityscapes.

Think of NFS:Carbon as the racing version of Risk. After choosing a car from one of three categories (tuner, muscle, or exotic), you'll begin racing. The city map is divided up into four major regions, with each region sub-divided into smaller counties. Each county contains multiple races; win the races to take possession of a county, win over the counties to eventually take over a region. Winning a race also unlocks car upgrades that can then be purchased.

Most of the races are the same as before; there are circuit races, sprints, speed traps and timed races. NFS dropped the "drag racing" game from MW (a really annoying race which forced gamers to steer with the left analog stick while shifting with the right) and replaced it with "drifting" races. Drifts are a completely different engine altogether. They're frustrating at first to learn but kind of fun after a while. Basically, drivers must drift their cars around a track. Points are awarded for the length and duration of a drift; multipliers are added for linking drifts together (you'll need to do that to score enough to win) and drifts end when you spin out or hit a wall.

After winning over an entire region you'll be challenged by a boss. After beating the boss in a grueling sprint race, you'll have to own them in a canyon race as well. You'll have to race through the canyon twice, back to back. The first time, you'll be chasing the boss, and be awarded points for how close you trail them. The second lap through you'll be in the lead with him chasing you. Like most previous NFS games, you'll need to continually upgrade your car with better parts to beat the bosses' superfast rides.

The other new addition to NFS:Carbon is the addition of wingmen. You can now acquire racing partners who will join you in races and offer you bonuses on and off the track. Different wingmen unlock different car modifications, parts, discounts, or heat levels. There are three flavors of wingmen: drafters (who will slingshot you ahead in a race), scouts (who zoom ahead and find all the track's shortcuts for you) and blockers (who will bash into opponents cars for you, slowing them down). The wingmen are a mixed bag of success. More often than not they just got in my way. Blockers, if in front of you when activated, will slam on their brakes, smashing into you and allowing the competition to zoom past! The drafters usually slingshotted me into an awaiting wall. The scouts are a little too handy -- after pointing out all the tracks' shortcuts, I began winning races by 30+ seconds.

The car modification system is back and offers more features than ever. After purchasing a car you can add one of a million body kits, wheel styles, spoilers, etc. Don't forget paint colors, graphics, flames, symbols, etc. Each of these applied items can now be repositioned, flipped, rotated, or skewed. A new "autosculpting" feature allows you to mix and match parts of body kits or even create new parts. Personally I just paint all my cars black and stick flames on them, but the game allows you to customize your cars to your heart's content.

The cars in the game all drive differently (especially the different classes of car). It was kind of frustrating to find that the RX-7 (a tier 2 car) handles much worse than the RX-8 (a tier one car) after spending all my money on it. Like real life, the tuner cars are the cheapest, handle sharp but need upgrades for real speed. The muscle cars (your first option is a first series SS Camaro), like real life, go fast in straight away and steer like ass. The exotics are expensive but fast. There are 40+ cars that can eventually be unlocked. Like previous versions of the game, cars can be bought or sold (to recoup money).

My only complaint about the game so far is that the races are pretty easy. Only a lack of time (and not skill) has kept me from tearing through the entire game. The canyon races are difficult; the second one took me over an hour to finally beat (I finally quit, upgraded my car, and returned to kick ass), but most other races in the game are easy to beat on the first attempt (especially when using a scout or a blocker).

Like NFS:MW, Carbon has a "mysterious" back story that unfolds through FMV cut scenes as you win races, but the thin non-original plot (ooh, someone exchanged one red bag full of money with another one!) seems secondary to the racing.

If you like NFS racing games, Carbon is worth picking up. The audio and visuals will show off your system. Next-gen version of the game (360/PS3) also support online play. The Xbox/PS2 versions do not.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I kinda like most wanted better. I was never a big fan of the night driving, I perfer mixtures of day and night. I am a huge fan of the original games NFS to NFS HP2. I find this night stuff kind of annoying. I do like the cars in this game though, a good mixture. Personally I prefer muscle and extotics over tuners but thats just me. It is a solid game though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I agree that too much of the game takes place at night. I suspect it's simply to show off the lighting effects on the new consoles. I also should have mentioned that I miss the police pursuits, which don't seem to play as big of a part of the game in Carbon as they did in earlier games (especially Most Wanted). The online version apparently lets up to eight people race against one another, and also has online police pursuits.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    I also should have mentioned that I miss the police pursuits, which don't seem to play as big of a part of the game in Carbon as they did in earlier games (especially Most Wanted).
    And that's why I think Most Wanted was a better game.

Carbon does a few things right, like the Autosculpting and anything that has to do with the canyon courses. The 'story' is pretty cool too, I noticed myself having one of those 'oh shit' moments when the cop from MW showed up at the beginning of Carbon.

Those things aside, I think the game feels a bit bland. I think the crew is a waste. I've had them interfere more than help, especially the drafters. And, since I'm playing the X360 version, I have to gripe about achievements. I think that MW had the right idea, awarding them after the defeat of a rival. Now there are so many oddball ones, particularly online-related ones. I like achievements, but I'm not a huge fan of racing online with NFS.

Difficulty-wise, the game is cake until you reach the fourth territory. I smoked everyone in my tier 1 RX-8 until I beat the boss of the third area(the muscle cars). I'm having a bit of trouble now, which kinda frustrates me since there was no arc in difficulty. It was kinda like hitting a wall.

I'm curious to see how they expand/improve the series for the next outing, since this one seemed like a step sideways.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Difficulty-wise, the game is cake until you reach the fourth territory. I smoked everyone in my tier 1 RX-8 until I beat the boss of the third area(the muscle cars). I'm having a bit of trouble now, which kinda frustrates me since there was no arc in difficulty. It was kinda like hitting a wall.
    That's the same with me, I have the RX-8 and had no problem on any of the races until I beat the third area and now I can barely beat any of the races,

though i am doing the canyon battle in the forth area that's just a normal spot and having tons of trouble.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I was having trouble beating the second boss with the RX-8 so I went and bought an Eclipse and beat him on the first try. I sold the Eclipse and bought an RX-7, so now I have both the 8 and the 7. The RX-7 handles almost like a muscle car -- it's very hard to turn and even with the upgraded suspension and everything I still pretty much slam into walls on every corner. It's very frustrating. I just now started on the third territory with the RX-7.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Lothars
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    That's the same with me, I have the RX-8 and had no problem on any of the races until I beat the third area and now I can barely beat any of the races,

though i am doing the canyon battle in the forth area that's just a normal spot and having tons of trouble.
    I found that using a tier 2 muscle car was sufficient enough to beat one of the races in the fourth area that unlocks one of the tier 3 cars.

I'll have to give the canyon run a shot-I love those.

I wonder if you can show off the photos you take in-game. It says they're uploaded to Needforspeed.com, but I haven't linked my gamertag to that EA Nation thing. Plus, I rented Carbon, so I didn't get a manual, and this may have been explained in it. It would be cool if you could. I think some of the rides I've fashioned are pretty badass.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.