Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price drops for GC, PS2, and XBox games soon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Price drops for GC, PS2, and XBox games soon?

When do you think we'll be able to go and buy last generation games for $5-$15?
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    hwj_chim

If you buy used you can easly buy games that cheap now.
    SEGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh, I know, I just like to get them new.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive seen lots of new Xbox 1 games in my area for around $5.99 to $9.99 and not just sports games.

Its becoming almost impossible to find a wide selection of Gamecube games though.

PS2 game prices are all over the place but usually can find good deals on NEW games if one knows where to look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool

You can get them for that price. However they don't sit on store shelves very long. Any game selling for 5.00 will be gone quickly. Games do not wait for you. You have to on the ball and anticipate when and where the price drops will occur. Case in point:

2 FFXI HDD Bundles for $14 each
    2 Tekken 5 Arcade stick bundles for $29 each

I sure love generation shifts. While everyone else is going loco over some new console, I get to go on gaming shopping sprees.
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I think it's a *little* early for a price drop on the last generation. It was maybe a year after I had my PS2 that I noticed PS1 games were definitely cheaper (and, to be honest, some places *still* have PS1 games at prices I wouldn't consider clear out).
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    I think it's a *little* early for a price drop on the last generation. It was maybe a year after I had my PS2 that I noticed PS1 games were definitely cheaper (and, to be honest, some places *still* have PS1 games at prices I wouldn't consider clear out).
    Wow, where are you finding new PS1 games? I think there may be a place around here with a Game Breaker '98 tucked in the corner or something but nothing I've seen in at least 2 years. I have however seen at some pawn shops sealed PS1 titles for dirt cheap, like $1-2, most of which weren't even sports or bad games.

But getting back onto topic, it's been a great cheap market for awhile now. I bought a PS2 a few weeks ago because I've seen so many under $10 games for it brand new. I mainly find them at Circuit City (For the better games) but you can stumble across them in other places too. Just keep an eye open and wonder around at least once a week to various stores but don't work too much at it or the gas and time put in isn't worth the savings.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Xbox and GC games are already selling for that price for new titles, if you are quick about it.

PS2 on the other hand seems to be holding higher prices on newer titles. They also still have alot of new games coming for that platform in the next 6 months so I wouldnt expect to see widespread price drops until sometime next year. All I know is that I'm going to get on these games while they are cheap so I don't have to hunt them down later like DC titles.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Wow, where are you finding new PS1 games?
    A place called MicroPlay. A kind of independent chain (I say kind of because I'm not sure how many stores are actually left - it's never done well). Last time I checked I'm *pretty* sure they still had some Greatest Hits stuff like FF IX and the like.

EDIT: I was at the mall over lunch today and confirmed it. MicroPlay still has PS1 games up on their wall, new, anywhere from 9.99 to 59.99. (That's not a typo - Final Fantasy Chronicles for PS1, in the Greatest Hits packaging, new for $60. The rest of the Final Fantasy stuff was $39.99)
    Last edited by Nature Boy; 12-06-2006 at 11:52 AM.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As others have said, Xbox and GC games have come down a bit. TRU prices seem to be lower on most titles. I wouldn't suspect PS2 titles to come down very soon just because PS2 is still the industry leader and sales are still very strong for the system. Once 360, or wii, etc starts taking a bigger market share, you won't see PS2 titles drop that much.

Strawberry (Level 2) xtremegamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XHEAT99

Toys R Us, Circuit City, Best Buy, Target, and EB Games are places that I have been able to pick new Xbox games ranging from $1.99 to $15.00 for good titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Everybody's mentioning XBox price drops, that's the one I don't own They are also mentioning GC so that's good.

I might save like $150-$200 to go out and buy a bunch of PS2 and GC games. Not much to buy for the new systems so I figure why wait when I can get better ones now for cheap.

I've noticed that N64 games aren't very cheap at the game stores. Everytime I go they have them between $9.99 and $29.99. Only some sports games are $5.99.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem is that the Xbox games have been pretty much been pushed out of retailers, but the majority of the ones that I want, and I'm assuming a lot of people here want have been removed from stores ages ago. Psychonauts, Stubbs the Zombie, Toe Jam and Earl, Outrun... a ton of random Xbox exclusives I'd love to get my hands on are simply not available. The selection is plagued with random FPS and sports titles. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because I do want some games such as Dark Watch and BLACK, but they are still relatively higher in price.

Also a problem for me is that I buy all of my multiplatform games for the GameCube, and at this point anything left to buy for the GameCube is crappy kids titles or run of the mill games like Super Mario Sunshine and Starfox. Hopefully the late releases like games such as Chibi Robo, Odama, Baten Kaitos Origins, and Harvest Moon: Magical Melodies, which are in fact still in stores hit bargain bins soon!

The PS2 is another story, luckily retailers have a ton of shelf space for PS2 games, but since the system is so popular I don't see clearance sales for a little while, which is pretty disappointing.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    Wow, where are you finding new PS1 games? I think there may be a place around here with a Game Breaker '98 tucked in the corner or something but nothing I've seen in at least 2 years. I have however seen at some pawn shops sealed PS1 titles for dirt cheap, like $1-2, most of which weren't even sports or bad games.

But getting back onto topic, it's been a great cheap market for awhile now. I bought a PS2 a few weeks ago because I've seen so many under $10 games for it brand new. I mainly find them at Circuit City (For the better games) but you can stumble across them in other places too. Just keep an eye open and wonder around at least once a week to various stores but don't work too much at it or the gas and time put in isn't worth the savings.
    Yeah it reminds me of a time when I was a K-Mart and they had a sealed copy of Turok 64 the only problem was that they were still selling it for 49.99 talk about a rip-off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dbiersdorf
    crappy kids titles or run of the mill games like Super Mario Sunshine and Starfox
    Your post was really nice, then you said that.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I think it will still be a looong time before we ever see drastic price drops. Backwards compatibly - although a nice bonus - ensures that there is no reason to drop the price as the games still work on the next gen systems.

Think about it - Gameboy carts really haven't dropped dramatically in price, and even the original B&W carts and GB Color carts still go for a few bucks. Why? Because they still work - even in the newest GB systems.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chicnstu View Post
    Your post was really nice, then you said that.
    I meant that they were really easy to find, not that they were bad games, I freakin' love both Super Mario Sunshine and Starfox Adventures (Assault... not so much.)
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dbiersdorf View Post
    I meant that they were really easy to find, not that they were bad games, I freakin' love both Super Mario Sunshine and Starfox Adventures (Assault... not so much.)
    Oh ok, lol.

Yeah, I didn't enjoy Assault either. I hated the graphic style and I couldn't get used to the aiming. Namco definitely wasn't a good choice...

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    Personally, I think it will still be a looong time before we ever see drastic price drops. Backwards compatibly - although a nice bonus - ensures that there is no reason to drop the price as the games still work on the next gen systems.

Think about it - Gameboy carts really haven't dropped dramatically in price, and even the original B&W carts and GB Color carts still go for a few bucks. Why? Because they still work - even in the newest GB systems.
    The FINAL, and DEFINITIVE, word.

Dreamcast games, and 32X/Saturn/3DO & Jaguar stuff before them, got marked down so low because those systems were on the way out and there was no longer any "new" system to play those games on. The PS2 and X-Box games that are marked down tend to be those that do not merit a high price tag or are games which a lot of people might already have. Thus there are games which can still take up very little space on a shelf from a previous generation and have a healthy list price. Up until a year or two ago, most Walmarts were still selling Tony Hawk 3 and other later day N64 titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Slightly off-topic here

I remember the Dreamcast being pushed out of stores/clearance faster than just about any other "major" console besides maybe the virtualboy, especially with the larger chain stores here in the U.S. Even the Saturn seemed to linger in "videogame clearance hell" longer than the Dreamcast. DAMN THE MAINSTREAM AND CASUALS - and I dont care if its not politically correct lol.

It seemed that many of the last N64 titles lingered in Walmarts and other stores for years at their ORIGINAL PRICES well into the lifespan of the Gamecube.
    Many N64 games were marked down into the $4.00-$9.99 range while the a select few games like THPS3,Paper Mario and Donkey Kong 64 stayed at around the $59.99 mark for YEARS - crazy man just crazy.