Thread: new ps 3 upgrade fixes 1080i gaming issues

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default new ps 3 upgrade fixes 1080i gaming issues

http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exere...76003D72BB.htm

According the article the new patch the PlayStation 3 will default to 1080i over 720p. For games that support 1080p and your set only can support 1080i, games will now automatically default to 1080i, and you won’t be Unfortunately for Blu-ray movies, if you’ve disabled the 1080i resolution, movies will be downscaled to 480p.

Sony better get a patch soon for the movies. Why sony didn't think about the movie part at this time is puzzling.
    Last edited by 7th lutz; 12-06-2006 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Sony's been dumping all over blu-ray's chances by encoding movies in mpeg-2 format anyway. HD-DVD seems to at least have its shit somewhat together as far as that goes.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...and I thought 720p is preferrable to 1080i! I assumed games look better in 720p than in 1080i!? (this is important to me since my HDTV is 720p/1080i and does not support 1080p)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Half Japanese View Post
    Sony's been dumping all over blu-ray's chances by encoding movies in mpeg-2 format anyway. HD-DVD seems to at least have its shit somewhat together as far as that goes.
    What you mean? So far you get as much HD video on a BR and HD-DVD disc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

WTFP: What in The Funny Papers?

Hopefully they'll fix this before I get my PS3, Wich will be when it is $300.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    ...and I thought 720p is preferrable to 1080i! I assumed games look better in 720p than in 1080i!? (this is important to me since my HDTV is 720p/1080i and does not support 1080p)
    Negative, fine sir. 720p and 1080i have as many pixels per second IIRC, but 720 is better overall (progressive vs interlaced)

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    What you mean? So far you get as much HD video on a BR and HD-DVD disc.
    HD-DVDs have mostly been using AVC MPEG-4 IIRC, which is a much more modern and higher quality codec than MPEG-2. Newer releases have been using VC-1 and AVC, I think...but once you get to the decent encodings then it comes down to which one had a better transfer. From what I've read, it looks like HD-DVDs have been getting the edge there, too. I really hope the quality of blu-ray releases keeps improving, though.

Well, either that or die. or have HD-DVD die. or have both die and be replaced by a single format. Format wars SUCK.
    Last edited by roushimsx; 12-07-2006 at 04:32 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Depends on your set. If your set has a native res of 1080i (as most all CRT HDTVs do) you want to use 1080i. If it's 720p (most all LCD's), you want to use that. You want to do as little scaling as possible and it all depends on if you want your TV or the source component to do the scaling.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    HD-DVDs have mostly been using AVC MPEG-4 IIRC, which is a much more modern and higher quality codec than MPEG-2. Newer releases have been using VC-1 and AVC, I think...but once you get to the decent encodings then it comes down to which one had a better transfer. From what I've read, it looks like HD-DVDs have been getting the edge there, too. I really hope the quality of blu-ray releases keeps improving, though.

Well, either that or die. or have HD-DVD die. or have both die and be replaced by a single format. Format wars SUCK.
    Your right that HD-DVD uses a better compression method, but in advance BR have twice the space so it evens out. When BR starts to use another compression (if possible) things will change. Compression only makes the size smaller, not the quality better. You can get sick high bitrate with mpeg 2, but the negative thing is that it takes alot more space. The transfer rate is the same for both, 36Mbit/s on 1x speed.
    Last edited by jajaja; 12-07-2006 at 05:55 PM.