Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so much N64 hate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Why so much N64 hate?

I just looked through some of the earlier posts about N64 from this year and wow, so many people were saying they "******* hate the N64" and "would rather play a PC game 10 years older than any game on N64".

I used to go to stores, pick out a N64 game and would like the game I bought almost every time. I also had a Playstation then and had a VERY hard time finding something I enjoyed. I didn't like Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy VII (I still don't like this game), WipEout got boring fast. Vigilante 8 was about the only game I enjoyed a lot. Legacy of Kain was cool. Maybe I wasn't playing the right games?

So why are people so mean to N64?
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not enough beat 'em ups. there's like 5 or 6 for the 64. the snes had about 30.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

"*******"?

However i do kind of agree here. I guess everyone is just freaked out about the controller or played it's inferior ports, but there are quite a few quality exclusive games. I know I had a good time with the thing when it came out, and still do every now and then.

It's got two Goemon games in english even!!!1

edit: no lightgun games though 8/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    "*******"?

However i do kind of agree here. I guess everyone is just freaked out about the controller or played it's inferior ports, but there are quite a few quality exclusive games. I know I had a good time with the thing when it came out, and still do every now and then.

It's got two Goemon games in english even!!!1

edit: no lightgun games though 8/
    The ******* is "fucking", I didn't want to say it but you made me

I plan to get the Goemon games, they seem great.

PragmaticInsanisomething: Nah, it has more than that, at least 10.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not really Hate, it just wasen't all that after coming off SNES/Genesis or even the comp at the time(Saturn/Playstation). Plus it's aged hard IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I could just post one of those tired "because they are ignorant or misinformed/haters/whatever" posts. But it just wouldn't be true, I think the reason is this.....

The N64 is a hard pill to swallow for alot of people, because of the controller, "blurry graphics", lack of fighters/RPGS, ect. I think the 64 did have alot of negative points, and it was an aquired taste for sure.

Being a huge N64 fan myself, I do get tired of all the bashing. But most of the points I read are valid, and everyone is entitled to thier opinions afterall.

IMO, the N64 rocked, it had a great controller, bright colorful graphics(although blurry), and some incredible games over the years. So you won't hear any hating from me, even though I do agree with alot of the complaints the system gets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

No hate from me, although I wouldn't call myself a major fan either.

I like the controller just fine and think it's well-suited to FPS's, but that might just be me as I've got this weird ambidexterity when it comes to things like that.

I also prefer the utility of cart-based systems to discs, and the N64's significance as the last cart-based system should not be dismissed. I'll go so far as to admit I have something of a "cart fetish", and the N64 comes in 3rd (behind the Atari 5200 and Neo Geo) for hot, wild and BIG cart-snapping action. `Scuse me while I go get some tissues...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The treasure games still hold up and some of rares stuff. But the n64 , when I was younger I wanted to love it so much I waited a year for something awesome to come it never came , then I discovered arcade fighting games and their abundance on the playstation system. It was hard to really love your nintendo 64 to death since releases were far and few and not as rapid as say the playstation (Which got alot of good releases each coming month)
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think it's weird that the "retro-gaming" community is talking about games not aging well.

Also, I prefer cartridges too.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

N64 had too expecive games. They were like $100 - $150 here. I dont like the controller with the thumb joystick either. Also no games that really interest me, but i didnt own it when it was new. Mario Kart 64 was fun tho

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow

It's probably people who have always been jealous; their parents bought them the PlayStation because it was popular and they got stuck with a flood of mediocre games while us lucky N64 owners got around 20 incredibly awesome games.

PS1 might have had more games but it sure as hell didn't have more quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    N64 had too expecive games. They were like $100 - $150 here.
    They aren't anymore, so go gettum! BTW, where the heck are you at? Australia/NZ?

Anyway, big fan of the N64 here. The library doesn't have the depth of the PS1's, but some games really trump anything the PS1 could do. It doesn't have the awesome arcade library that the Saturn did (in, um, Japan, at least), but from a casual gaming perspective it was great, and just the thing to get me into console games.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Not a fan, but I don't hate it either. Much like the XBox, there's just so few games I actually want to play for it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Celestial Avenger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lack of competent RPGs, overpriced games..

Super Mario 64 was still $59.99 at my Wal-Mart after the PS2 was released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I put my hand up as a hater, the blurry 64 give's me eye/headaches
    and I really think that the controller is one of the worse designs
    of any controller ever, PSX and Saturn blew everything the
    64 had to offer away, but hey thats my opinion dont flame me,
    as i could ask Why the Fck is there all this N64 Love?
    zomg I have a sig

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Because it has some fun games?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For people that say the N64 has "blurry" graphics...ever thought that maybe your tv isn't so great or the picture isn't tuned up (i.e. sharpness etc.) I would rather have texture-mapped polygons a little blurred than be a pixelated mess... Oh, and the first 3 games for the N64, Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, and Waverace 64 were all extremely awesome games imo... And there are a lot more I love on the system...
    Last edited by Kevincal; 12-08-2006 at 09:43 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another question is... why so much N64 love among the younger crowd, hmmm?

My perspective was that Nintendo was the king for two generations, Sega kicked a little ass with the Genesis, and then in the 32-bit generation they both dropped the ball, hard. PlayStation came out of nowhere to dominate them both (I seem to remember an n-gage like buzz during its first couple years, which disappeared in the lead up to FFVII)

Of course, unlike the Saturn, the N64 did sell well to the family crowd, and it had some buzzworthy hits like Mario and Zelda. I know that a lot of households owned an N64, and Nintendo IS a damn fine company, so many kids have grown up with the N64 having a special place in their hearts. This places them in direct contrast to the older gamers who have no beef with Nintendo, but only the N64 itself. Nintendo is always good, even a lukewarm console like the N64 kicked a major amount of ass and fuelled the nostalgia of the Pokemon generation, but the older gamers can clearly see that it was a major downgrade from the libraries of the NES and SNES. The same goes for the controller: It looks and feels like trash compared to its predecessors.

If you were there and had prior context, the N64 was a disappointment. The fact that it has 4-6 of the best games of all time doesn't change this.... back in the day, these titles came years apart.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial Avenger View Post
    Lack of competent RPGs, overpriced games..
    I was under the impression that this was a good feature. Who needs a billion boring, turn-based RPGs filled with monotonous random battles?

The N64 had Paper Mario - that trumped any boring standard J-RPG on the PS1.

Quote Originally Posted by BocoDragon View Post
    Another question is... why so much N64 love among the younger crowd, hmmm?

My perspective was that Nintendo was the king for two generations, Sega kicked a little ass with the Genesis, and then in the 32-bit generation they both dropped the ball, hard. PlayStation came out of nowhere to dominate them both (I seem to remember an n-gage like buzz during its first couple years, which disappeared in the lead up to FFVII)

Of course, unlike the Saturn, the N64 did sell well to the family crowd, and it had some buzzworthy hits like Mario and Zelda. I know that a lot of households owned an N64, and Nintendo IS a damn fine company, so many kids have grown up with the N64 having a special place in their hearts. This places them in direct contrast to the older gamers who have no beef with Nintendo, but only the N64 itself. Nintendo is always good, even a lukewarm console like the N64 kicked a major amount of ass and fuelled the nostalgia of the Pokemon generation, but the older gamers can clearly see that it was a major downgrade from the libraries of the NES and SNES. The same goes for the controller: It looks and feels like trash compared to its predecessors.

If you were there and had prior context, the N64 was a disappointment. The fact that it has 4-6 of the best games of all time doesn't change this.... back in the day, these titles came years apart.
    This argument doesn't work. I was around in the SNES days, and the N64 was far from a disappointment.

The controller looks and feels like trash compared to its predecessors? Because the SNES controller's gray color scheme and the NES controller's ugly archaic look are so stylin', right?

I don't see how anyone can honestly say the N64 controller is worse than the NES controller. I don't recall ever having my hands hurting because the edge of the controller was cutting into them with the N64 controller. Sharp edges was a frequent issue with the NES controller.

The NES controller also had two main buttons and a d-pad. You couldn't do shit with that. Well, not that you'd need to, as the system was too primitive to handle anything even remotely complex or entertaining.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

Man, I freakin loved the N64... 007 + Mario Kart 64... Thats all anyone needed

PSN: SouthRox