Thread: Question about warehouse finds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question about warehouse finds

Every once in a while, you'll hear about a case of rare sealed games found in a warehouse. What is the deal with these finds and how to be people go about buying up cases of new old stock? Do companies hold auctions for warehouse leftovers, or do you actually have to know someone and buy directly from the owner of the warehouse. Just curious as to how these people come up with these amazing finds. If not mistaken, many of the sealed Cheetahmen 2 carts were warehouse leftovers that one lucky collector stumbled upon. Has anyone here every purchased wholesale classic games from a warehouse, and if so, how did you hear about such games being available for sale?

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrmark0673 View Post
    Every once in a while, you'll hear about a case of rare sealed games found in a warehouse. What is the deal with these finds and how to be people go about buying up cases of new old stock? Do companies hold auctions for warehouse leftovers, or do you actually have to know someone and buy directly from the owner of the warehouse. Just curious as to how these people come up with these amazing finds. If not mistaken, many of the sealed Cheetahmen 2 carts were warehouse leftovers that one lucky collector stumbled upon. Has anyone here every purchased wholesale classic games from a warehouse, and if so, how did you hear about such games being available for sale?
    I'm replying to your topic only to bump it, since I'm sure a person or two here has "claimed" such a find. Here is my wisdom. You have to be in the right place at the right time.

Seriously, though, I correspond with a man who claimed such a "warehouse" find. The fellow ended up with hundreds of sealed copies each of a few dozen different games, still in the original cases. None of the games were worth a damn, in the grand scheme of things, since it was mostly common/mid-level stuff. However, he easily got his money's worth if he ever wanted to resell them one by one or in smaller lots.

All he did was win it on Ebay for a hefty price. He had to go to the warehouse and pick it up. I never did have the conversation with him as to whether it was the original company (or someone who bought them out) liquidating these games or if it was a person who bought the warehouse space (inheriting the games) or got them for a cut-rate price only to resell them later.

I think you'll find most of these people either know someone (probably met them at a gaming convention), answer a classified ad in a large city or simply win them on Ebay.