Thread: Dragon Quest IX

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Dragon Quest IX

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155838

Not on a console but on the Nintendo DS...?!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dragon Quest IX, also known as:

Japan am explode.

I believe Square Enix just put on the money hat.
    Last edited by n.ooka; 12-13-2006 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In a way this makes sense. None of the next-gen consoles have had a chance to get a foothold in the Japanese market. The PS3 and Wii will have a suitably large installed base eventually (but it will take a year or two) while the XBox 360 will probably never be popular enough over there to support a DQ game. The PS2 and Gamecube are essentially dead, and will certainly be by the time DQ IX ships. The DS, on the other hand, has sold millions, and continues to outsell just about every other platform over there. If you want to reach the largest number of gamers on one platform in Japan, the DS is the logical choice.

Of course, in Japan they could release DQ IX for the Famicom and it would still sell millions of copies... I know I'm looking forward to it, especially considering they've switched to a real-time combat system (and the multi-player mode looks like it will kick a lot of ass!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Dragon Quest IX on the DS is obviously a way to buy some time for SquareEnix. They are going to wait around and see who is winning the console war in Japan (Wii or PS3) for DQ10. Whoever has the largest install base by the end of 2007 will get the exclusive.

I for one can't stand tiny little screens with inferior graphics and sound. I'm sure this version will be a great DS game...but then again that's not saying much. DQ9 could have been great...now it's just a novelty. Is a real next-gen RPG too much to ask? Incidentally, I bet Blue Dragon just got about 50% more interesting to Japanese gamers after this announcement.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I can't wait for this game, I haven't played any since the NES and I will be buying this as soon as it comes out States side..... assuming that it does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    DQ9 could have been great...now it's just a novelty.
    How sad. The game hasn't even been released yet you've already written it off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can see it being pretty awesome. FF3 looks real nice in 3D and I'm sure they'll use a similar engine. In addition the multiplayer shot looks very promissing. We'll just have to wait and see how this turns out.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Sounds pretty cool to me. I'm all for a good portable RPG.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    How sad. The game hasn't even been released yet you've already written it off.
    Word. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

And what do you think you're doing, talking about inferior graphics and sound on a retro games message board? Most of us have spent a large portion of our lives playing games that are technically inferior to DS games.

Anyway, I have no problem with this. I'll definitely pick it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCrazyGuy
    I for one can't stand tiny little screens with inferior graphics and sound. I'm sure this version will be a great DS game...but then again that's not saying much. DQ9 could have been great...now it's just a novelty.
    Yep, you are being commented on for the third time.

So:

New Super Mario Bros.
    CastleVania: Dawn of Sorrow
    CastleVania: Portrait of Ruin
    Final Fantasy III
    StarFox Command
    Animal Crossing: Wild World

Aren't as good as a console version? On Gamerankings.com, in the CastleVania series sorted by ranking, numbers 2-6 are handheld games. For Mario, look at numbers 2-6, and 8-11. The other 3 games have very little handheld releases yet they are still there with the consoles.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    Word. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

And what do you think you're doing, talking about inferior graphics and sound on a retro games message board? Most of us have spent a large portion of our lives playing games that are technically inferior to DS games.

Anyway, I have no problem with this. I'll definitely pick it up.
    I will be picking this up as well. I'm sure this will be a good game. I just think SquareEnix shouldn't be wasting money and resources on making DS games. They should concentrating all their effort on making the first great next-gen RPG.

On graphics and sound:

Dragon Quest 9 will be unique in that this sequel will have worse sound and graphics than the game before it. I can't think of another franchise where this has happened. DQ8 had one of the best soundtracks ever composed. I cringe when I think of the compromised MIDI tunes squeaking out of the DS's tinny little speakers. Headphones don't help (see Castlevania). Graphically, I'm not so concerned. I will say that if FFIII is any indication, DQ9 will look adequate. The 2 screen shots released so far look kind of N64-ish.

On gameplay:

Simply my personal preference. I (as well as most other gamers) prefer a TV screen over a little handheld screen any day. To think a major release like DQ9 will not have any gameplay sacrifices in order to fit on the DS is naive.

Again, just my opinion. I will be buying the game, but I wish it was being made for the Wii or PS3 instead of the DS. We're getting less of a game because of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I disagree completely. The portability of a hard-core RPG will be great. In addition, the DS has AMAZING sound, and even better with stereo headphones or speakers hooked up to it. And I seriously doubt they'll MIDI the soundtrack...I'm sure it'll be fully orchestrated. What you have to remember is that those little SD cards that the DS uses aren't like Game Boy carts in the fact that they don't have a limited amount of space on them to store data. SD cards are cracking the 4 GB mark on store shelves as we speak so this has the potential to be a full sized Dragon Quest with all the trimmings in a portable format. That's a GOOD thing. With the art style of the DQ series, it should be no problem for it to look just as good as VIII anyway. I can't wait myself. S-E will make a BUNDLE on this one...probably a lot more than on DQVIII.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I need a good portable RPG, and based on those 2 screens the game looks damn amazing, I have faith in level 5! Also the 4 player stuff sounds great.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Dragon Quest IX on the DS is obviously a way to buy some time for SquareEnix. They are going to wait around and see who is winning the console war in Japan (Wii or PS3) for DQ10. Whoever has the largest install base by the end of 2007 will get the exclusive.

I for one can't stand tiny little screens with inferior graphics and sound. I'm sure this version will be a great DS game...but then again that's not saying much. DQ9 could have been great...now it's just a novelty. Is a real next-gen RPG too much to ask? Incidentally, I bet Blue Dragon just got about 50% more interesting to Japanese gamers after this announcement.
    I am not going to blatantly or bash you in hiding. If my comments come off that way, I apologize beforehand. In your first paragraph you mention Square buying time with this title. I disagree, considering there was no secret about this. Square said in the first quarter of this year, that whatever console was the most solid in Japan would be the one to see the Dragon Quest series. I'm not sure how much you keep up with the global gaming market, but the DS, owns Japan. There's no denying that this is a smooth move, as portable gaming in that region is larger than console gaming at the moment. As a developer, I am pretty sure I would put one of my largest franchises, on the largest market base. (Obviously, not including the PS2. As I don't know the total amount sold for that console. And besides, that generation is dying)

Your second paragraph mentions that Blue Dragon (A Japanese developed Xbox 360 RPG) probably got 50% more interest due to this move. To reiterate, the DS is the largest market share in that country. Why would interest for a game coming out on a console that has only sold 178,070 units TO DATE be more than interest for one of the largest RPG franchises that is being released on a system that has sold 550,000 DS LITES in just November? When you buy a new system, you are generally inclined to purchase the games that are released on it.

Square enix has also held no secret regarding where they will place DQ10 either. The official statement from them is that if DQ Jokers and DQ9 sell good on Nintendo consoles, than Dragon Quest Ten will find it's home on the Wii. I suppose playing graphically inferior games on the Wii probably turns you off from the series also, so I guess you might be waiting a while for a "real next-gen RPG".

By the way, here's a supposedly "leaked" photo of the game. . . spanning Two Cartridges!
    http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/pho..._sssphp_01.jpg
    Last edited by JJNova; 12-13-2006 at 08:46 PM.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

The portable bit doesn't bother me. DS is a great system. What sucks is it's going to be an action RPG. Makes about as much sense as Final Fantasy XI being MMO. I don't mind spin-off action games. Rocket Slime was awesome, I just hope this is a one time deal and X goes right back to being menu based.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, what are the chances of another limited-run-DQ themed DS being released along side the game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was completely expecting this to be on psp , but this looks like enough to kill some psp sales in japan (till ff7 crisis core comes out)
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I’m not trying to be argumentative, I’m just going to clarify a few points…

Quote Originally Posted by JJNova View Post
    Your second paragraph mentions that Blue Dragon (A Japanese developed Xbox 360 RPG) probably got 50% more interest due to this move. To reiterate, the DS is the largest market share in that country. Why would interest for a game coming out on a console that has only sold 178,070 units TO DATE be more than interest for one of the largest RPG franchises that is being released on a system that has sold 550,000 DS LITES in just November?]
    I should've made that statement a little bit more clear. I meant that Blue Dragon has 50% more interest than it did before. I wasn't comparing the hype for DQ9 vs. the (non) hype for Blue Dragon. Obviously, the 360 is an utter failure in Japan (boo hoo). That fact is pointed out on a daily basis here. We get it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJNova View Post
    Square enix has also held no secret regarding where they will place DQ10 either. The official statement from them is that if DQ Jokers and DQ9 sell good on Nintendo consoles, than Dragon Quest Ten will find it's home on the Wii. I suppose playing graphically inferior games on the Wii probably turns you off from the series also, so I guess you might be waiting a while for a "real next-gen RPG".

By the way, here's a supposedly "leaked" photo of the game. . . spanning Two Cartridges!
    http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/pho..._sssphp_01.jpg
    Please let me reiterate (for the fourth time in this thread)...I will be buying this game. I think it will be pretty cool. I'm just disappointed that it's being released on a lesser system. I think it's a step down from DQ8. Nothing more, nothing less.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I think Dragon Quest X would look just fine on the Wii, provided it's also developed by Level 5. I really like the style of their games, and cell shading looks great on last gen consoles. It's more realistic 3D that suffers from jaggies and grain, and really needs the graphical push of the 360 and ps3. So again I think the cartoon style of the Dragon Quest series will look great on a Wii.

I just surprised more people are discussing the system IX's going to be on, and not the major gameplay deviation from the rest of the series.
    Last edited by Daria; 12-14-2006 at 11:34 AM.