Thread: Question about patches for Elder Scrolls on 360

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question about patches for Elder Scrolls on 360

I just got a new 360 and I'm planning on jumping into Elder Scrolls for my first game. The thing of it is that I have zero desire to get on Xbox live for any reason at all, least of which are the horror stories I've heard about mandatory updates bricking consoles. yeah, I know I'm probably missing something, but I've played videogames for 20+ years offline and "that's the way we liked it" Anyway, I just wondered what the deal is with the patches they're offering for this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They're not patches; they're downloadable content, and damn good content too.

- Mehrunes Razor Quest: Search a massive dungeon amidst battling thieves and vampires to find a fabled and powerful dagger.
    - Horse armor: equip your steed with heavy platemail or light elven mail (useless but cool-looking)
    - Knights of the Nine: A fallen King has been unchained from the darkness of Oblivion to seek vengeance upon the Gods who banished him. Only a champion pure of heart can vanquish the evil that has been released upon the land. You must heed the call, reclaim the lost relics of the Divine Crusader, and return the Nine to glory. New dungeons, characters, quests, and mysteries await. You're looking at around 15 hours in this quest alone. Great stuff.
    - Dunbarrow Cove: Rediscover the legendary Dunbarrow Cove and the ancient pirate ship The Red Sabre. Dunbarrow Cove not only provides a home base to operate out of, you can purchase new vendors, trainers, and even an upgrade to your sleeping quarters with the loot from your heists.
    - Spell Tomes: This pack adds "Spell Tomes" to the world's random treasure. These books grant you wondrous and powerful magic spells, just by reading them!
    - The Vile Lair: Deepscorn Hollow is an asylum for the wicked, a refuge from the persecution of the virtuous. Designed for evil characters.

This month's issue of Official Xbox Magazine also says that an expansion pack is coming, and you can import your character!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

There was one update that bricked a small number of consoles. But people will always complain that the problem was wide spread.

There are some you forgot:

Wizard's Tower - In the frozen mountains of Cyrodiil stands Frostcrag Spire, a tower of wonders for your magic-oriented character to call home.

Orrery - Harness the power of the stars. Rebuild the defiled Orrery and unlock the secrets of this Mages Guild Inner Sanctum.

They are all well worth getting, well sans the horse armor. They add a lot to the game, especially Knights of the Nine, Mehrunes Razor and Dunbarrow Cove.

I bet if you get Xbox Live Gold you would not regret it. MS is starting to put a bunch of things online a week early for Gold members. But I do not think you need Gold level to download the Oblivion content (I could be wrong on that one).

Glad to hear you got a 360, and hope you enjoy Oblivion. I am still playing it myself, and I bought it when it came out!
    Last edited by meancode; 12-15-2006 at 08:06 PM.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oops! I did forget those!

I think you can access the Marketplace and buy all the content with a Silver membership, though I'd strongly recommend upgrading to Gold.

Xbox Live = sex.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for all the input - I may cave in and go on live sometime, I'm just a little wary. It begs a bigger question for another topic, such as having to buy things that some people believe should be inculded in a $60+ game anyway, and having to deal with all the juvenile online gamers. I will admit that being able to buy older games virtually is interesting, but since most of the people here collect anyway it's sort of a moot point. Thanks again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ivotedforkodos View Post
    thanks for all the input - I may cave in and go on live sometime, I'm just a little wary. It begs a bigger question for another topic, such as having to buy things that some people believe should be inculded in a $60+ game anyway, and having to deal with all the juvenile online gamers. I will admit that being able to buy older games virtually is interesting, but since most of the people here collect anyway it's sort of a moot point. Thanks again.

See that depends. The Oblivion game is massive, bigger then any other game out there, and to be honest, the content is worth it's price, and I pay it gladly so I can continue to get good gaming out of this huge game!

Buying content online is up to you, if it's worth it or not, one example is:

Horse Armor - 150 points I think, or 250? Anyway, worthless to me, just adds armor to your horse.
    Knights of the Nine - 15 more hours of questing for 800 points? COUNT ME IN!

Strawberry (Level 2) sickdrummer420's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    sickdrummer420

ive been playing this damn game for months now. i only grabbed a few downloads as im still going through it and no need for downloads yet besides the spell tomes which comes in handy for learning spells right away. i would recommend getting live not for this game but for everything else that is on it. usually crap is added every week which rox.
    Drummers do it with rythym

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickdrummer420 View Post
    ive been playing this damn game for months now. i only grabbed a few downloads as im still going through it and no need for downloads yet besides the spell tomes which comes in handy for learning spells right away. i would recommend getting live not for this game but for everything else that is on it. usually crap is added every week which rox.
    yeah I recently picked up elder scrolls for the 360, haven't played it yet.. but I had to agree with sick, xbl is a good service, and imo well worth the 50 a year... there are alot of pluses to having it, some minuses as well, like the imature aholes you encounter from time to time, but other than that, its a pretty enjoyable system.. just my 4 cents.
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!