Thread: FF10: Help! I can't beat it! AND FF7 not much fun

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default FF10: Help! I can't beat it! AND FF7 not much fun

I can't beat the last boss (Jecht). He cheats! He takes two turns in a row with that massive sword of his and wipes out my whole party. Grrrr... I don't know how to defend myself against that double-sword strike.

Got suggestions?

Troy

P.S. I'm playing FF7 now. I don't like it. The story isn't that interesting (environmental crapola) and the graphics are just poor. The people look like toys wandering around on screen.

I think FF9 is a far superior game. I've played it twice already! :-)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ECK! how can you say that?!?! FF 7 is the best ff there is for the psx.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Evidently you're missing the jist of the storyline. Plus, the main character doesn't give a crap about the environment. Play further. FF7 was one of the only reasons i considered getting a PSX. Then it came out on PC.
    Conform. Consume. Obey.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jecht isn't even the final boss. By the time I beat FFX I had 4 of the ultimate weapons that hit for 60,000 or more each time so it was too easy and actually not fun anymore.

FF7 is by far my fave of the PS1 Final Fantasies. Yeah, it does have an enviromental theme, which being a lefty treehugger I got a kick out of, and besides that I know a lot of japanese culture is based around enviromental interests, so it's not like I was surprized to see that. I thought the cinematics in 7 are the most impressive and conflict between Cloud and Sephiroth was the most believable compared to 8 and 9.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default FF7?!

POSSIBLE SPOILER FOR theaveng ABOUT FF7:

I HATED FF7. I consider it the worst of the series for the PS1 (topped only by FF5, overall). The story wasn't bad, but the character development was damn near non-existent. All you fanboys who cried when Aeris died should realize that Square was just pulling your strings. For a moment like that to be touching, there has to be emotional attachment first. This is brought about through character development and dialogue. You have to spend enough time with the character's personality until you "know" them. Aeris was a poor girl who sold flowers, was an ancient, and was sort of a waif. They don't get much more in depth with her than that. That's why I didn't give a damn. Sure it was shocking to see her get stabbed, but it would have been just as shocking for me to see "Townsperson #2" get skewered by Sephiorth.

Some of the other games had real development, but not 7. I can't wait to try 10. I hear the dialogue is actually pretty good.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arrrhalomynn
    ECK! how can you say that?!?! FF 7 is the best ff there is for the psx.
    Why? Explain why FF7is better than... say... FF9.

WISESALESMAN: I agree with you. I'm on CD1 and Aeris is nothing more than a name to me. If she suddenly dies, I won't even miss her.

On the other hand if Princess Garnet/Dagger died in FF9, I'd be heart-broken. She was 3-dimensional and felt real. Ditto Vivi.

As for the "running out of materia" deal that's an obvious allusion to our oil situation. Problem: We're not running out of oil. Oil replenishes itself. So, the story is seriously flawed.

Anyway, I prefered FF9. It felt like the traditional faiy/fantasy tale. Much more enjoyable.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ack!

Damn, theaveng.....you weren't supposed to read that far.

But, if you son't care about me spoiling the story for you, I guess there's no harm done. Also, I can see where you're coming from. I felt much more attached to both Vivi and Dagger than to almost anyone in FFVII. Zidane was also a more developed hero than Cloud had some back story, but, like Squallr, he suffered from "square syndrome" (the need to be despondent, speak little, and have memory problems). He's not the first character to have this condition, nor was he the last (unfortunately). This made him a boring character, regardless of how "cool" anyone might have thought his giant sword was.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default FF7 > FF9

I'm still waiting for someone to convince me Why FF7 is better than FF9?

Troy

P.S. I thought Kimahri has more depth than Aeris. And he didn't even talk! (much)

When I'm done with FF7, I'll play FF6 next. (The PS1 version not S-NES). It's supposed to be the best according to fandom.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

7 is better than 9, because it's a LOT more original. But if you first play 9 you don't notice that of course.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I'll admit FF7 has it's boring parts also, mainly the first 8 hours playing through Midgar until you leave the city can be quite boring.

FF8 felt too sci-fi for me, sure the graphics and sound were lovely, but the storyline and elements didn't have that FF feel to them.

FF9 I really love cause Square went back to the series roots- magic, Black mages, crystals, SD characters, humor while keeping a great storyline with the music and sound.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's hard to compare these games actually, 7 had more of an impoact on games in general, they didn;t have such deep plots before that, and Square continued to evolve and we got the sometimes confusing 8, and the fully realized 9. My problem with 9 was I ust didn't like the character. Zidane just didn't do it for me. I liked Vivi more. FFX takes everything to the next step and totally leveled me. Granted by the end I was a little bored at the end, but that's because I spent every waking moment with it for days and days.

I don't think oil replenishes itself. Well, at least not for millions of years. You can convert natural gas, tar and coal into usable oil-like fuels, but actual oil-oil is finite. Although new technology in finding it and getting to it will open up new reserves and so on.

The Gaia is a traditional Japanese "lifeforce of the Earth" legend. And as far as I know has been around longer then man's search for oil. Although the idea of it running out or spoiling is a new idea, but that's from my limited knowledge of japanese mythology.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default BACK to FF!0

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    I don't think oil replenishes itself. Well, at least not for millions of years. .
    The empty wells of Texas are getting refilled from the earth's core. Oil replenishes itself. (Yes, the scientists are surprised.)

So... how do I beat Jecht in FF10? So far the only advice I got was, "Get an ultimate weapon." That's almost like cheating. Surely the guy can be beat with standard weapons and careful strategy?

Here's what I did:
    -equipped characters with stone proof status
    -Used Zombie attack to turn Jecht to zombie
    -Used Yuna's & Lulu's HEAL magic to inflict ~20,000 points damage

Now... I just need a defense against Jecht's stupid sword, and I'll win the game.
    Troy

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm gonna have to look up th refilling oil wells, I haven't heard about that. that sounds fishy to me.

But anyways, here's what ign says about Jecht:

Boss 28 (Braska's Ultimate Summon)
    HP (First Form): 60,000
    HP (Second Form): 120,000
    HP (Yevon Pagoda x2): 5,000 (initial)

The two Yevon Pagodas will heal Braska's Ultimate Summon 1,500 HP (and OD at the same time) every turn. The Yevon Pagodas' HP aren't constant. It depends on how much damage is inflicted on it to kill it. For example, if it took 6,000 total damage to kill it, it'll revive with 6,000 HP. The first two times Tidus uses the Trigger Command Talk on the Ultimate Summon will confuse it and reset its OD gauge. Don't do this yet. Save this for the Second Form because First Form's OD will only deal around 3,000 or so in damage. Either ignore the two Pagodas or kill them both. Don't kill only one or else it'll use a multiple-status status attack on one member.

The Second Form basically adds a powerful physical attack (the sword) against the entire party. Also, when the Ultimate Summon has less than 60,000 HP the OD changes to True Jecht Shot and can deal around 3,500-5,500 HP in damage. Pay attention to the battle order and heal whenever someone's HP falls below 3,500. As usual, use any Aeons if you have any left. If your party is in good shape, doublecasting Ultima, Flare, or attacking with Holy will do wonders. Don't forget to cast Haste and Auto Life on yourself so you're ready for the worst.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I see my problem... none of my characters is greater than 3500 HP. I need to level up.

Troy

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't think FFX was hard at all, That was one of my biggest complaints with FF8,9, and 10 is that they were unBELIEVABLY easy. I don't think I died more than once or twice in each of those games.

If you list out the final fantasy games they get easier every single time a new one comes out. I shudder to think of FFXI and FFXII if it continues this way...
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5