Thread: Super famicom recommendations??

Strawberry (Level 2) Drag0nsfyre's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Super famicom recommendations??

Hey All,
    I won this FF V game on Ebay for a fairly decent price I thought so anyway ($12) I went after it because of the adapter, something I've been wanting to aquire for a little while now. It worked like a charm when I tried it. I just wish I could read japanese so I could play it anyways It's a cool thing for the collection.
    Which brings me to asking any of you Super Famicom import player what are some cool and/or fun games I should check that do not require reading kanji to just enjoy the game. such as Beat em ups, platformers shumps etc. etc.
    Thanks

Last edited by Drag0nsfyre; 12-18-2006 at 12:25 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should check out Steve's Super Famicom thread for some great reviews and screenshots of games you'd might be into. I think it's located in the classic gaming section of the forum. With that said, I personally think the Ganbare Goemon games are an awesome and relatively cheap series to look into. I hope that helps.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Insert Coin (Level 0) starfox316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go Go Ackman 1 and 3. 2 is ok, but the 3rd is the best. Puzzle Bobble is a puzzle game, off the chain. Try any of the Final Fights, less expensive than their US counterparts and some of the best beat-em-ups around. Ganbare Goemon (think US Mystical Ninja). Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou, awesome beat-em-up, It's kind of $$$ though. Otherwise, check out this thread for some english-friendly and obscure games:
    Steven's Obscure SNES (SFC) Impressions Thread

sorry, didn't know how to link it. Just search for his thread in the forum search bar. It's a really good source of info. Good luck man, and let me know if you find anything worth playing. I'm always on the look out for good snes imports as well.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, here's a copy and paste of my SFC collection with all the RPGs and other text-heavy games cut out (which reduces it significantly, heh). They're all great stuff:

Cho Aniki: Bakuretsu Rantouden
    Choujikuu Yousai Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie
    Ganbare Goemon: Kirakira Douchuu - Boku ga Dancer ni Natta Wake
    Neugier: Umi to Kaze no Koudou
    Pop'n TwinBee
    TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventure

I should warn you that your adapter may not support all SFC games, though. Games that use special chips, AKA the ones with the longer connectors that have two sides pieces next to the standard connectors, don't tend to work with adapters because they either weren't designed for those games in mind or they may even have empty slots for the connectors so the cart can fit but won't actually play right (don't ask me who thought that was great logic). The easiest and cheapest way to make a SNES play all of the SFC library is to just modify it by removing the plastic tabs in the cartridge slot. That minor physical detail is the only thing making your SNES different from a Super Famicom, so the adapter only acts as a pass through.

Insert Coin (Level 0) starfox316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah and if done patiently and slowly with a needle-nose plier, your snes won't be worse for wear at all. I forgot about macross: scrambled valkyrie, great shooter!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks everyone.
    I have a SNES2 that I am not sure I'd want to mod but if I aquire another (original or 2) I may give that a shot. I have been checking out Steven's list as well.
    Have any of you played Jaki Crush? It's a pinball game that looked kind of interesting.
    I'll try and keep in mind that my converter may not play everything. I just hav'nt seen many on Ebay latly so I was happy just to get a hold of that one. If anyone know of a better one to watch out for I certainly will.
    Thanks again everyone with their advice,suggestions and what not.
    Last edited by Drag0nsfyre; 12-19-2006 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

heh, I just saw this topic. Thanks to everyone who's recommended my thread. The direct link BTW is:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90816

IMO, the US SNES library is pretty incredible. The SFC side has plenty of gems too. Combined, it's simply an amazing gaming system

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drag0nsfyre View Post
    Thanks everyone.
    I have a SNES2 that I am not sure I'd want to mod but if I aquire another (original or 2) I may give that a shot. I have been checking out Steven's list as well.
    Have any of you played Jaki Crush? It's a pinball game that looked kind of interesting.
    I'll try and keep in mind that my converter may not play everything. I just hav'nt seen many on Ebay latly so I was happy just to get a hold of that one. If anyone know of a better one to watch out for I certainly will.
    Thanks again everyone with their advice,suggestions and what not.

I have Jaki's Crush and enjoy it. The SNES gives it the richest sound out of all the Crush series of pinball games I've played so far, but I do think it plays a tad slower than the rest. Typical for game's on the SNES.
    You won't find much information about the game researching the title Jaki's Crush, even though that's the title right on the box. The official name is Naxat Super Pinball: Jaki Hakai. Here's a box scan courtesy of Wolfgames.com...

Here's a visual Super Famicom review of the game courtesy of Defunctgames.com...

As you're probably aware, Jaki is the third in the Crush series of pinball games. Because the title's alternate between crush, crash, dragons, ect., I often get myself confused about the series. I think it goes something like this.

Alien Crush - 1988/1989 - Developed by Compile and published by NEC, it was released in the US and Japan for the TG-16/PCE. It was also a coin-op arcade game. Recently it's been made available again as a virtual console download for the Nintendo Wii for 600 points. It's the only game of the series using a Giger-esque Aliens theme.

Devil Crush - 1990 - Developed by Compile and published by NEC, it was released in the US for the TG-16/PCE.
    Devil Crash - 1990 - Developed by Compile and published by Naxat, it was released in Japan for the TG-16/PCE.
    Devil Crash - 1991 - This port was developed and published by Technosoft in Japan for the MegaDrive.
    Dragons Fury - 1991 - This port was developed by Technosoft and published by Tengen in the US for the Genesis.

Jaki's Crush - 1992 - Developed by Compile and published by Naxat, it was released in Japan for the Super Famicom. If you type in CRUSHEND at the password screen, you'll see the games ending, courtesy of GameFAQ's.

There was a thread here not to long ago discussing the differences between the TG-16/PCE versions and the Mega Drive/Genesis versions of Devil Crash/Crush and I believe it mentions Jaki's Crush in passing. You might find it an interesting read here...
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83799

I should mention that the link the thread provided to Sega-16's side by side comparison of TG-16 Devil Crush and Genesis Dragons Fury doesn't appear to work, but you can find that here...
    http://www.sega-16.com/Side%20By%20S...ls%20Crush.php

There was also a pseudo-sequel of the Devil Crash/Dragons Fury game called Dragons Revenge. It was developed and published by Tengen in 1993 for the Genesis in all three regions- Japan, US and PAL.

Alien Crush was two staged but used a static screen. The rest of the series were three staged with a scrolling screen. I came across some pictures of the tables you might enjoy seeing, courtesy of Slateman.net

Alien Crush

Devil Crush

Jaki's Crush

Jaki's Crush is usually pretty easy to find and it's inexpensive too. It will play just fine on your SNES2 using any simple pass thru adapter, including a Game Genie with the tabs removed. I would never hack up my consoles to play imports either!

The SNES2 is pretty cool to own! Strange how they managed to disable S-Video out from it even though it uses the same video plug as the 1st edition SNES. You might consider picking up an SNES1 just for the S-Video. It's nicer on the eyes!

As for other Super Famicom recommendations, I really can only speak about the shooters. But I've been following Steven's post as well and there's a few of those I think I would enjoy playing!
    Last edited by Spartacus; 12-31-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

spartacus, excellent info!
    I actually have Jaki Crush, but I'm waiting on getting my hands on Battle Pinball so I can do a duo pinball review post =P
    Battle Pinball has managed to elude me, though I could have gotten it several times for $20 but my cheap-ass is more willing to plop $15 for that game.

But I'll get to both some day.

Speaking of wolfgames.com, I was a frequent visitor back in the day. Is it still around? Matt was a nice guy. I always wondered what happened to him and James Wilson from whachamacallit... dang I can't remember it... ace paradise? no thats not it. it was very similar to wolfgames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jaki Crush is indeed an excellent pinball game. starfox316 is right, Steve posted some neat reviews that you should definitively read !!!!
    I also have around 70 Super Famicom games reviewed on my site, it can also be a good start:
    Video Game Den : Super Famicom section
    I'd recommend games such as Flying Hero, Hagane, Kidô Sôkô Dion, Macross : Scrambled Valkyrie, R*Type III, Umihara Kawase ... way too many to list here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys for the awesome info comments and links!
    Now, If anyone can direct me to a reliable U.S. Import site where I might be able to get it at a decent price that would be great! I remember a seller had one on sale on Ebay for $13 BIN (cart only) I wanted to wait and make sure my converter worked after I received it and by that time it had been sold. Ikermel: Great site! and Hagane was also one I was looking at as well because it looked like a pretty sweet ninja game.
    Steven: Awesome thread (I had been checking that out before the recommendations)
    Spartacus: Killer info! I was unaware that it was part of the Devil's Crush/Alien Crush series for some reason it did'nt quite click and was'nt thinking about that. (since I don't have a TG-16 (at the moment anyways)

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well I'm still looking for a suitable copy of Jaki Crush, but I can totally vouch for Battle Pinball... the best pinball game for the SNES/SFC that I know of... Super Pinball 2 is worth a look too, if you liked the first game, but not if you didn't... it's basically just more of the same with a few little extras thrown in
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    well I'm still looking for a suitable copy of Jaki Crush, but I can totally vouch for Battle Pinball... the best pinball game for the SNES/SFC that I know of... Super Pinball 2 is worth a look too, if you liked the first game, but not if you didn't... it's basically just more of the same with a few little extras thrown in
    Iron, I finally bought Battle Pinball. I tried looking for a copy cheaper than $20, but couldn't find one, so I succumbed.

It'll eventually make its rounds on my new website

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!