Thread: sony launching psp video downloads

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default sony launching psp video downloads

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163328...stnews;title;0

Sony will launch a digital video service early next year for its PlayStation Portable, reports Financial Times. The service lets consumers download a movie from the Internet to their PC, then transfer the file to a Memory Stick Duo. No pricing or further details on the service were disclosed.

The service will not require any hardware upgrades to the PSP, meaning the more than 20 million PSPs already in the market will be able to view the films. Sony's 4GB Memory Stick Duo will be able to hold about 10 full-length movies, according to the report.

No participating studios have been mentioned, but because the service limits piracy by only allowing one copy to exist per purchase, film studios may be less wary to license their films. Currently, only the Buena Vista Motion Pictures Group (Walt Disney Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax Films) has offered up its films for the iTunes video download service.

I do have a couple concerns about this: The price of downloading videos and if any film Studios will allow their films to be downoloaded for the psp after the umd movie failure outside of sony.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think its a good thing. I would never use this service tho, but i dont see a negative thing about it. When it comes to price, its up to each person if he/she wants to pay X amount of money to download.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz View Post
    The service will not require any hardware upgrades to the PSP, meaning the more than 20 million PSPs already in the market will be able to view the films. Sony's 4GB Memory Stick Duo will be able to hold about 10 full-length movies, according to the report.

This is my only concern. Don't you think you'd see some pretty bad compression artifacting with movies of that size?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    This is my only concern. Don't you think you'd see some pretty bad compression artifacting with movies of that size?
    Nah, I've ripped my own movies to the system and given the size that they rip down too they look pretty good. The smaller screen doesn't show alot of the flaws that you may seen on a larger screen.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew