Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wii forecast channell up and running

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    I checked the weather on my wii the first thing this morning, and it didn't involve me getting out of bed, turning on the computer, waiting 3 minutes for it to boot up, go to a weather site, and see what it's going to be like today.

I can see this being a handy feature for me.
    You could just look out the window tho lol

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    You could just look out the window tho lol
    Generally speaking that's a poor source of information for how warm out it is!
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

This is a CRAZY CRAZY discussion!! Do you own the newly released device called a "television"? I heard that in the morning, there is this thing on it called "The News." On "The News" people talk about what is going on---and are now even nice enough to talk about the weather! In fact...the temp outside is on "The News" the entire run time at the bottom of the screen!!

Also, if you don't live in the middle of nowhere, "The News" is LOCAL and PROFESSIONAL and ACCURATE. In other words, the weather is spot on and up to the second correct...not four hours out of wack because Nintendo's servers aren't updated.

C'mon people, lets get real here. I LOVE Nintendo--more than just about anyone...I really do. But you can't tell me this feature by itself is more convenient than current tech. It just isn't practical in modern terms. If they implement it in games though--I think thats great--thats a real use. But please...lets stop pretending we can help justify every little thing the Big N does. Sometimes, you just can't rationalize their decision making. And you know what? That's ok.
    Last edited by agbulls; 12-20-2006 at 03:56 PM.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Open the window and put your hand out I was just joking tho hehe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by agbulls View Post
    If they implement it in games though--I think thats great--thats a real use. But please...lets stop pretending we can help justify every little thing the Big N does.
    AGBulls now puts foot in mouth...

courtesy of 1up.com

Madden Wii Uses the Forecast Channel
    Snow in your region, snow in your games.
    by Patrick Klepek, 12/20/2006
    15 of 15 users recommend this story.
    One of the first questions that came up when Nintendo launched their Forecast Channel yesterday was the implications it could have for in-game activity. Randomized weather a common feature nowadays, but what if the game could pull its weather data from where you live? Or, conversely, if you'd like to see some weather from another region, simply claim you're from there.
    Seems Madden NFL 07 for Wii already does this. A Nintendo message board user stumbled across the hidden feature yesterday evening, though some are claiming it's doesn't work 100%, so perhaps there's more going on than appears.

Either way, it's an interesting feature that comes with some questions: what happens if your region rains or snows all the time? Those environmental hazards would become pretty boring, and should you really have to force your Wii to check the weather for another region to see change? Hopefully studios realize this is a neat option, not a requirement
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AGBulls now puts foot in mouth...

If you would of read the thread, two other people already told you that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow, if only there were some way to tell the temperature outside. Some sort of gadget that you could gaze upon while looking out your window. Some sort of temperature-meter, or thermo-meter, or something.

Well, until such fanciful futuristic inventions arrive, thank goodness for the Nintendo Wii! This was totally worth the 250 bucks.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Thomas View Post
    Wow, if only there were some way to tell the temperature outside. Some sort of gadget that you could gaze upon while looking out your window. Some sort of temperature-meter, or thermo-meter, or something.

Well, until such fanciful futuristic inventions arrive, thank goodness for the Nintendo Wii! This was totally worth the 250 bucks.
    ... great sarcasm

Another device some of the posters on this thread might want to consider is a cell phone. Pretty much ANY modern cell will deliver you weather via any number of widgets and data minutes these days are billed pretty transparently. I doubt the 3 seconds it takes to grab a weather update will really kill your plan.

I have weather so many places its ridiculous. My Smartphone, my PDA, my laptop, my desktop. I like the feature on the Wii just because its neat, but its a reeeeeeeeal stretch to exaggerate this into a super killer feature..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by mlambert890 View Post
    ... great sarcasm

Another device some of the posters on this thread might want to consider is a cell phone. Pretty much ANY modern cell will deliver you weather via any number of widgets and data minutes these days are billed pretty transparently. I doubt the 3 seconds it takes to grab a weather update will really kill your plan.

I have weather so many places its ridiculous. My Smartphone, my PDA, my laptop, my desktop. I like the feature on the Wii just because its neat, but its a reeeeeeeeal stretch to exaggerate this into a super killer feature..
    My cell phone charges an online usage when I check weather. I work outdoors and with the Wrangler launch have been working up to 7 days a week so I check everyday. It adds up. Powering up the PC takes longer than the Wii. I could check the TV but that would mean waking up my 5 year old daughter. My gaming center is down in the basement and I get ready for work in the basement to avoid waking up people. So Wii weather is handy for me.

If you don't like it don't use it simple.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cant you check the TV that the Wii is connected to?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    Cant you check the TV that the Wii is connected to?
    naw, its my gaming tv. There is no tuner attached to it, but it does have 15 consoles hooked up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

This is a CRAZY CRAZY discussion!! Do you own the newly released device called a "television"? I heard that in the morning, there is this thing on it called "The News." On "The News" people talk about what is going on---and are now even nice enough to talk about the weather! In fact...the temp outside is on "The News" the entire run time at the bottom of the screen!!

Also, if you don't live in the middle of nowhere, "The News" is LOCAL and PROFESSIONAL and ACCURATE. In other words, the weather is spot on and up to the second correct...not four hours out of wack because Nintendo's servers aren't updated.

C'mon people, lets get real here. I LOVE Nintendo--more than just about anyone...I really do. But you can't tell me this feature by itself is more convenient than current tech. It just isn't practical in modern terms. If they implement it in games though--I think thats great--thats a real use. But please...lets stop pretending we can help justify every little thing the Big N does. Sometimes, you just can't rationalize their decision making. And you know what? That's ok.
    Well if you want to be an ass about it, generally speaking the news isn't on when I'm getting up, and I don't feel like waiting around for 20 minutes to see the weather report. I can check the news at work in the paper, or online at work, and usually get more information than a 2 minute sound bite on television. GASP.

Now I know you're thinking "weather channel" but quite frankly the wii's weather is more convenient to check than that. Fewer commercials, too.

And here's another difference-I already own a wii, whereas I don't own a thermometer. And another plus is that I can check weather in other areas, for the purposes of mocking friends' weather patterns, or simply to get an idea what clothing would be smart for a trip. And I don't have to sit around and wait for the computer to boot up, and then muddle through the world of zip codes and shit to do it!

Go suck a lemon.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    naw, its my gaming tv. There is no tuner attached to it, but it does have 15 consoles hooked up
    Ah ok TextTV aint the same anyway hehe. I never been interested in the weather, but with Wii it looks like its easy to become interested.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

This new Wii Weather could help me with my meteorology carrer abit ^^
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    My cell phone charges an online usage when I check weather. I work outdoors and with the Wrangler launch have been working up to 7 days a week so I check everyday. It adds up. Powering up the PC takes longer than the Wii. I could check the TV but that would mean waking up my 5 year old daughter. My gaming center is down in the basement and I get ready for work in the basement to avoid waking up people. So Wii weather is handy for me.

If you don't like it don't use it simple.
    Didnt say I didnt like it, didnt say Id never use it. Just seems odd that there are people who seem to have needed the Wii to have been invented so they could check the weather ...

But I can see this is a sensitive issue. I should have known better. By all means return to over the top Wii love-in. =P I am tempted to ask which cell carrier actually charges specifically for data minutes since even Verizon doesnt do that anymore though. I figured they were the worst of the worst and even they just take data out of voice minutes.
    Last edited by mlambert890; 12-22-2006 at 02:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by mlambert890 View Post
    Didnt say I didnt like it, didnt say Id never use it. Just seems odd that there are people who seem to have needed the Wii to have been invented so they could check the weather ...

But I can see this is a sensitive issue. I should have known better. By all means return to over the top Wii love-in. =P I am tempted to ask which cell carrier actually charges specifically for data minutes since even Verizon doesnt do that anymore though. I figured they were the worst of the worst and even they just take data out of voice minutes.
    I needed the Wii to be invented to play games. Weather channel is just a fringe benifit and useful for my application.

My cell provider is Cingular and is provided through my place of business as I use my phone alot here at the job.

As for other devices I don't have alot of money (money I have is spent on video games) so I don't have a laptop, PDA, ipod, smartphone or any other personal nick nack.

Like I said, if you aren't thrilled about the weather channel, don't use it. Yeah its another gimmick and it isn't going to sell a million more Wii consoles but its there for those whom like to use it. I like it. The internet channel though is even more gimmick as I doubt I'll ever use it. Wii weather takes me 1 minute to check and I'm out the door.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it just me or is the Wii Weather Channel way off? Is this based off a past Alamanac or actual forcasts? Mike : )
    Video Game Connection
    ATARI 2600 to NINTENDO Wii
    Ebay User ID : vgc