Thread: God of War and my PS2..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default God of War and my PS2..

My friend gave me his copy of GoW the other day and I'm pretty certain he bought it the day it came out. It doesn't play on my PS2. Once the tray closes it jut sets there for minutes on end and never brings up the game. If you click on the game CD icon in the browser it will set there a few more and then.. sometimes comes up with a "disc read error" (not always). The thing is.. it played on his PS2 just fine.. and it is the ONLY game (out of about 60 I have) that won't play on mine! The disc is flawless.. played a half dozen times by him.. tops.

Sooo.. my question is.. I seem to remember something in the distant past about the initial release being "buggy" as far as compatibility went. Anyone else remember this? I could be just imagining it though.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mine does that too. We played it for a while, never beat it, went to play it again later and it didn't work.

When I put it in it will say "Reading Disc" for like 1 or 2 seconds then stop reading it. I tried putting tape on the disc and I tried taking apart the PS2 and turning that metal thing to make the eye stronger.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GoW is likely a dual layer disc. They are harder to read. Your PS2 is showing early signs of DRE. It will get worse over time.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon View Post
    GoW is likely a dual layer disc. They are harder to read. Your PS2 is showing early signs of DRE. It will get worse over time.
    The good news is that you can adjust the laser and get a little bit more life out of it. There is a little gear that you can turn to adjust it. There are also screws to adjust the voltage but you really don't want to monkey with those. I've "repaired" a number of PS2's with the gears.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God of War is a dual-layer (DVD-9) disc, so many PS2 will have trouble playing it as omnedon said. The PS2 wasn't originally designed to play DVD-9, so the drive has some dificulties. If your laser is already on its way out you probably won't be able to play it.

Sony specificly warns develpers against making DVD-9 games due to the high failure rate of the consoles themselves. Devs go out of their way to cut games down to fit on a single layer disc because of the high rate of "faulty" returns they get.

Go Sony!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

GT4 is another one that is notorious for making DRE problems apparent as well.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew