Thread: Re-Seal or Not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re-Seal or Not?

I won this auction for what was supposed to be a factory sealed copy of Star Tropics. It arrived today and did NOT have the horizontal seal going across the box that everyone says is supposed to be on an authentic seal. To be honest, I'm not going to loose sleep over it if it's a re-seal since I only paid a few bucks for it. I'm just curious because the guy has a 100% feedback rating.

Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup that is a reseal, but it looks like it was done by the store as it has a price tag on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there anything obvious that you see in the picture that I can reference when I email the seller?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Griking you should know after being a part of the novel length thread about Vididiots that a price tag can be added after a reseal done by a scammer. Were you wanting this to play or keep?

My opinion: If it's a fake it's extremely well done. Not disregarding the lack of a seam but the wrap looks factory to me. I got out one of my sealed NES games for comparison and I think that maybe this was one of the rereleased titles brought out around the time of the top loader and the dogbone. I remember buying Mega Man 6 for ten bucks new along with a dogbone controller at a Kay Bee around 93 or 94. Personally, I think it's the real deal, but see what all these other experts have to say.
    Last edited by 8-bitNesMan; 12-22-2006 at 08:08 PM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bitNesMan View Post
    Griking you should know after being a part of the novel length thread about Vididiots that a price tag can be added after a reseal done by a scammer. Were you wanting this to play or keep?

My opinion: If it's a fake it's extremely well done. Not disregarding the lack of a seam but the wrap looks factory to me. I got out one of my sealed NES games for comparison and I think that maybe this was one of the rereleased titles brought out around the time of the top loader and the dogbone. I remember buying Mega Man 6 for ten bucks new along with a dogbone controller at a Kay Bee around 93 or 94. Personally, I think it's the real deal, but see what all these other experts have to say.

No way. Definite reseal. Probably a store reseal as ckendal said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked it up because it was supposed to be sealed but also because the price was so low. I don't go out of my way to collect sealed games but if I find one for a reasonable price I'll pick it up for my collection. I kind of had a suspicion that it was a fake based on the fact that the price was so low and there were so little bids. And yeah, I know that a price tag really doesn't mean a thing. But again, I was willing to take a chance for $11. I figured that at the very worst I had a mint looking copy of the game.

So do you think it's worth emailing the seller about it or do you think that this is a case where the seller got it himself in the condition that it's in and assumed that it was new?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I picked it up because it was supposed to be sealed but also because the price was so low. I don't go out of my way to collect sealed games but if I find one for a reasonable price I'll pick it up for my collection. I kind of had a suspicion that it was a fake based on the fact that the price was so low and there were so little bids. And yeah, I know that a price tag really doesn't mean a thing. But again, I was willing to take a chance for $11. I figured that at the very worst I had a mint looking copy of the game.

So do you think it's worth emailing the seller about it or do you think that this is a case where the seller got it himself in the condition that it's in and assumed that it was new?
    Well there's no point in sending it back, the shipping will cost half as much as the game. I'd just ask for a part refund and see if he's willing to go for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you going to open it? I was wondernig if the contents look new or if it had all of extra material (ie Nintendo Power subscription card) that's supposed to be there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

im sure he thought it was factory and didnt know it was a reseal. He wouldnt have it half ripping off if he did it himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2 View Post
    No way. Definite reseal. Probably a store reseal as ckendal said.
    I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable about these matters as you guys, but I have been collecting for a good number of years. I'm curious: When and how did corporate retail chains do reseals?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable about these matters as you guys, but I have been collecting for a good number of years. I'm curious: When and how did corporate retail chains do reseals?
    It wasn't just chains, it was mom and pops too. Damaged orignal wrap would sometimes be torn off and replaced with (resealed) new wrap. I suspect store returns were also handled this way. Probably did the same with display copies also.