Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: PS1 Emulator Cracked on PSP

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    Since you seem to know what you're talking about and I'm in the same boat as segagamer4life. Where would I find one of these EZ-Installers? If I install 3.10 OE-a would I be able to run games on it, I mean original games not homebrew or "backups"? I thought that I heard some games require you to have the latest Sony made firmware so would that be a problem with 3.10 OE-a or does it act like that so the game doesn't try to update the firmware.
    Thanks for the help

yeah I guess I was following the instructions off the psp-hack site, so I was at 2.71 and downgraded to 1.50, then I thought I needed to get to 3.10oe-c but I think your saying I need to get to the SONY version of 3.10 first, then goto 3.10 oe-c secondary?
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Quote Originally Posted by segagamer4life View Post
    yeah I guess I was following the instructions off the psp-hack site, so I was at 2.71 and downgraded to 1.50, then I thought I needed to get to 3.10oe-c but I think your saying I need to get to the SONY version of 3.10 first, then goto 3.10 oe-c secondary?
    I don't know a lot but whatever you do don't upgrade your psp with ANY Sony updates! You will not be able to downgrade afterwards.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Where would I find one of these EZ-Installers?
    I wouldn't recommend using them at all. It's pretty easy to use the real installers as supplied instead, and you don't have to trust the coding of *two* programmers while messing around with your firmware. I recall at least one E-Z installer causing some bricks for an ealier OE release.

Here's how I've done it:

(this is for 3.10 OE-A but is applicable to all OE releases. And I take no responsibility if you brick your PSP - this is simply what I did when I updated my own and a buddy's PSP ).

(BTW: This should go without saying, but you can't install this unless you're running one of the following firmwares: 1.50/2.71 SE/3.02 OE/3.03 OE. If you need help downgrading to 1.5 that's another story)

First, download the official 1.50 and 3.10 firmware updates. Straight from Sony or any site you trust. Google is your friend. Rename them to be 150.pbp and 310.pbp

Download Dark Alex's 3.10 OE-A software onto your PC.

Copy the "oeupdmaker" and "%oeupdmaker" directories onto your PSP (depending on which firmware you're running and how you're running it, it will have to go inside the GAME or GAME150 directory). Both 150.pbp and 310.pbp are to be placed inside the "oeupdmaker" directory.

Now launch the oeupdmaker software on your PSP. Give it a few minutes, and it creates the DXAR file you require. Why can't you just download this file you may ask? Firmwares after 2.6 or so are PSP specific - anything you download will only work on the original PSP, not yours.

After that's run, move the dxar out of the "oeupdmaker" directory (either copy it to your PSP or leave it under GAME. You can then delete both "oeupdmaker" directories.

Next, copy the "310oeflasher" and "%310oeflasher" directories into the same GAME directory as before. Move the dxar file into the "310oeflasher" directory. Now run it.

Voila - you're running 3.10 OE-A.

A word of caution: if you were running a previous OE/SE firmware and had enabled any hacks, you'll see the blue screen of death at the end of the process. You haven't bricked your PSP, just scared yourself to death. If you don't want to see it at all, simply disable all hacks.

(When I did mine I had nothing enabled so I didn't see the screen. When I did my buddy's PSP I forgot to even check, and when I saw that screen I almost wet myself - then I remembered reading about it).

If you want to create your own PS1 games you can either use the official software that came with 3.03 OE-A (which is DOS based), or use one of the many GUI based tools out there. Personally, I just use the DOS based tool, as it's simple enough and I have confidence, again, that I'm not trusting more programmers than I have to.

If you have questions PM me - I'll be glad to help.
    Last edited by Nature Boy; 03-06-2007 at 11:34 AM.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know a lot but whatever you do don't upgrade your psp with ANY Sony updates! You will not be able to downgrade afterwards.
    Yeah, never let any official Sony firmware touch your PSP. I was talking about the OE (custom) firmware, which is completely different.

Just do what Nature Boy said (I'm even saving that info for myself so I can do a manual install next time). If you *really* want to try an EZ-Installer though, here's the one's I've been using:

http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=58272

I haven't updated to 3.10 OE yet (I hear it's sort of flakey playing some UMD's), but I've used 3 or 4 of Calo's EZ-installers in the past and hand no problems with them. Only takes about 2-3 minutes and you're done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    I haven't updated to 3.10 OE yet (I hear it's sort of flakey playing some UMD's), but I've used 3 or 4 of Calo's EZ-installers in the past and hand no problems with them. Only takes about 2-3 minutes and you're done.
    I haven't had any problems with UMDs - have you heard which ones? And are you talking about UMDs or ISOs?

(Personally, I don't play UMDs anymore - after I buy a game I convert it to ISO. That way I still support the industry and enjoy the benefits that ISO gaming offers - faster load times and longer battery life).

I personally updated from 3.03 OE to 3.10 OE because of the PS1 emulator update. I had a copy of Syphon Filter 3 that showed green graphical glitches under 3.03 (and was unplayable). 3.10 fixes those glitches. If you're excited about PS1 games on your PSP I'd recommend 3.10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    I haven't had any problems with UMDs - have you heard which ones? And are you talking about UMDs or ISOs?
    yeah, i'm talking about ISO's. The one I hear people are having problems with is Metal Slug. I think there's another one too but i can't remember (the latest Metal Gear game maybe?).

Read a lot of posts from people saying they went up to 3.10 OE-a but went back down to 3.03 OE-a because it was so buggy. This was before the OE-a2 update was released though, so I don't know if that fixed the problems or not.

BTW, what does 3.10 OE do for PS1 games? Make them run smoother?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Hey Nature Boy and norkusa
    Just wanted to say thanks for your help as I'm now running 3.10 OE-A.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Nature Boy and norkusa
    Just wanted to say thanks for your help as I'm now running 3.10 OE-A.
    No prob. Did you go with the EZ-Install or did you do it yourself? I just need a second opinion on how easy the manual install is before I attempt it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

No prob. Did you go with the EZ-Install or did you do it yourself? I just need a second opinion on how easy the manual install is before I attempt it.
    I was too chicken and I used THIS installer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me just say I've been at 3.10 OE-A' (the update to 3.10 OE-A) ever since it came out. And for every single update, I've used the EZ installers on 3 psp's including a TA-082. Zero problems.

I got them all off that link NorkUSA posted in the 1st or 2nd page of this thread.. it always got updated with each new release

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

yeah, i'm talking about ISO's. The one I hear people are having problems with is Metal Slug. I think there's another one too but i can't remember (the latest Metal Gear game maybe?).
    I haven't tried either so I can't say either way. I've got Metal Slug X for the PS1 so I just run that through Popstation and play it emulated, and I'm kinda tired of watching movies instead of playing Metal Gear games so I haven't bothered picking that one up either (and probably won't unless I see it for $10).

I do have Ratchet & Clank and that worked. And my old school games I can't stop playing, like Burnout and Untold Legends still work fine.

BTW, what does 3.10 OE do for PS1 games? Make them run smoother?
    It fixes some compatibility issues, as I mentioned with Syphon Filter 3. I've thrown quite a few PS1 games at it (at some point I'll have gone through my entire PS1 collection no doubt ) and haven't had any problems since I switched to 3.10. It also provides more options inside the emulator itself - like adjusting black levels and extra volume.

I never had a problem with 3.10 OE-A, but I don't use any prx's at all. I think OE-A2 might've fixed some of that stuff, for those that like super tweaking their PSPs. I know some people refused to switch up as well because the 'No-UMD' option stopped working. It's not like I don't own UMDs so I considered it a minor annoyance for the greater good (i.e. getting Syphon Filter 3 working).

I always read the new features and pitfalls of the new releases before upgrading, but I've always upgraded. I haven't performed the update that modifies the PS1 emulator to be 3.11, as it's not a Dark Alex firmware upgrade and it seemed like too much work for little return.

And again, for the record, the 'manual' install really isn't that tough at all. Maybe read the readme.txt files for the 3.02 OE firmware - if I recall correctly it's much more spelt out than 3.10 (which says, I think, 'same as usual')
    Last edited by Nature Boy; 03-07-2007 at 08:48 AM.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post

Copy the "oeupdmaker" and "%oeupdmaker" directories onto your PSP (depending on which firmware you're running and how you're running it, it will have to go inside the GAME or GAME150 directory). Both 150.pbp and 310.pbp are to be placed inside the "oeupdmaker" directory.

Now launch the oeupdmaker software on your PSP. Give it a few minutes, and it creates the DXAR file you require. Why can't you just download this file you may ask? Firmwares after 2.6 or so are PSP specific - anything you download will only work on the original PSP, not yours.

After that's run, move the dxar out of the "oeupdmaker" directory (either copy it to your PSP or leave it under GAME. You can then delete both "oeupdmaker" directories.

Next, copy the "310oeflasher" and "%310oeflasher" directories into the same GAME directory as before. Move the dxar file into the "310oeflasher" directory. Now run it.

Voila - you're running 3.10 OE-A.
    Nature, where do you find the 150.pbp and the 310.pbp files, I couldn't find those files any thoughts?
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by segagamer4life View Post
    Nature, where do you find the 150.pbp and the 310.pbp files, I couldn't find those files any thoughts?
    When you google for them, you won't find them named like that. Google something along the lines of "PSP 3.10 update". You'll download an 'eboot.pbp' file that you'll have to rename to 310.pbp in order to get things to work.

(Obviously you can't copy two files called eboot.pbp into the same directory, hence the requirement to rename them according to which update they are).

For those that don't know: when you perform a legimate update from Sony, you're simply running an eboot.pbp file. All applications that run on your PSP are called eboot.pbps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dark Alex's OE Firmware for 3.30 was just released today. Features include:

-Homebrew support under either 1.50 or 3.30 kernel
    -Region spoofing
    -Patched a protection that prevents the FW to load higher firmware modules
    -Fixed a bug that could have caused instability in 3.10 OE after recovering from sleep mode
    -Recovery Mode
    -Direct launching of PSOne games (converted with PSP format)
    -Direct launching of demos and homebrews
    -Possibility of regulating the speed of the PSP's processor
    -Direct launching of ISOs/CSOs

Can be downloaded from the usual places. If you're looking for an E-Z Installer for 1.5 or OE/SE, a real good one can be grabbed from here:

http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=58272

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

"direct launching"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    "direct launching"?
    Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what that means either since the games still have to be converted to PSP format. Whatever it is though, it apparently speeds up the load times A LOT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Whatever it is though, it apparently speeds up the load times A LOT.
    I've read confusing comments on the web. Some say that it speeds up load times. Others have said something to the effect of popstation not working.

I haven't noticed the former yet (I've just been making sure my PS1 games load), but I can verify that the latter seems to be false. All my PS1 games were converted by me, from original discs, using 3.10, and they all have worked so far. Bust-A-Move, Civ II, Crash 2, Intelligent Qube, Metal Slug X, Mr Driller - all good.

I guess the issue could be the original (3.0x) popstation games, but I haven't read anything to that effect.

Nor have I noticed much difference, although to be honest all I've done is play Pirates! since upgrading (an impulse buy last week)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I've ripped my copy of "A Scanner Darkly" using the beta version of PSP Video 9 (to take advantage of the larger resolutions now allowed) and it looks absolutely *amazing*.

We can *finally* rip our own movies and use the *whole* screen!

Instead of the previous display options "Zoom, Normal, etc" there are now only two: "Normal" and "4:3." I ripped an original Star Trek episode as well, and it stretches to fit the whole screen under normal and has black bars to the left and right when viewed under 4:3.

Bravo Sony (for finally including this in their official FW Update) and Dark Alex (for allowing me to enjoy this plus homebrew on my PSP).