Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: PS1 Emulator Cracked on PSP

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    heh dude now you're confusing me because when I asked above about going from 3.02 OE B -> 3.03 OE A, you said:

Which made me think you downgraded from 3.02 OEB to 1.5, before you went up to 3.03 OE A.

Yeah I know it's probably a miscommunication, but clarity is needed!
    guess I should address that

this is the first time I used a custom firmware, so essentially I went from 1.50 to 3.03 OEA

however rather than wait for the easy installers, whenever the next major OE update is I might just revert it back to 1.5 and then do a clean install.

hope that clears things up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

\PSP\GAME (for psx games, put their eboots in individual sub-folders)
    \PSP\GAME150 (for 1.5 homebrew.. i.e. your NES and SNES emulators, etc)
    Ya know, I've been putting everything into my PSP/GAME folder (emulators + psx games) the whole time and they all work. Just created a GAME150 folder and threw my NES emulator in it. It booted up but there were no roms available. Placed it back into my PSP/GAME folder and now the roms are visible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    Ya know, I've been putting everything into my PSP/GAME folder (emulators + psx games) the whole time and they all work. Just created a GAME150 folder and threw my NES emulator in it. It booted up but there were no roms available. Placed it back into my PSP/GAME folder and now the roms are visible.
    You know.. I wonder if that has to do with the options you chose at the recovery screen. I haven't changed a single thing yet, and to get any old homebrews that ran on 1.5 firmware, I have to put them in the \PSP\GAME150 folder. However, you mentioned you had changed to the "1.5 kernal" in your posts above, so I wonder if it affects that functionality?

It'd be interesting to experiment.. but as is, I guess I got everything working so I'll leave it be for now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Final Fantasy VII

Has anyone figured out how to do multi-disk psone games to the psp like final fantasy VII i got the first disk but what about disk 2 and 3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to do multi-disk psone games to the psp like final fantasy VII i got the first disk but what about disk 2 and 3?
    I guess the multi-disc games only work if you are allowed to save your game before swapping discs. Like FFVII lets you do this but Metal Gear Solid doesn't.

I think they found a way around the save problem with games like MGS. It involves hacked game saves and the CW Cheat app, but I'm not positive how it works..

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

Yes, if you don't have 1.5 kernel turned on, then you need game150, if you have it on, then you need GAME for 1.5 and game320 for games that need 3.02 firmware (which I have no idea what they are.. I'm guessing new psp games just coming out? Who knows).
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyone View Post
    Yes, if you don't have 1.5 kernel turned on, then you need game150, if you have it on, then you need GAME for 1.5 and game320 for games that need 3.02 firmware (which I have no idea what they are.. I'm guessing new psp games just coming out? Who knows).
    Not quite: The game150 directory are for the homebrews that are meant for firmware 1.5 (i.e. emulators). The game directory (not game302/game303/etc) is used for those games that are to run in the emulated firmware (i.e. PS1 games under 3.02/3.03 OE). PSP games do not go into either game directory, as the system does not recoginze PSP games in either.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

That's funny, because I've left all my emulators in my GAME150 folder this whole time and they've worked just fine, although I admit I haven't fired up NesterJ in quite some time. I'm going to have to play with it now and see.

Personally, I don't use the easy installers at all because I don't trust them. It's actually pretty simple doing the update yourself the 'manual' way. You download the 1.50 firmware update and the 3.03 firmware update, stick 'em in a folder on your PSP with the appropriate file, and run program 1. It spits out a file which you then move into a second directory on your PSP, and you run that.

After that you're done. I find the readme for the manual install confuses me *way* less than the so called 'easy' installers, and I have way more confidence that what I'm doing is right and won't result in a brick.

Personally I've not gone back to 1.50 since upgrading to 3.71 SE. If you stay on top of the updates (I'm currently at 3.03 OE-A') the update to the next one is a slam dunk (since the dev assumes you're with him already).

Anybody tried docmaker yet? I'm thinking about doing it, but I'm unsure whether I really need documentation for games I've owned for 10 years Just wondering what sizes you used, if any.

(So far my favourite PS1 games on PSP are Intelligent Qube and Mr Driller, with Crash Bandicoot 2 and NHL 2000 getting some good play as well)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The compression in the later versions of the GUI is brilliant, taking Vagrant Story from over 700mb to just over 100mb. The main glitches I've noticed thus far:

Soul Blade runs, but at about half speed, even at 333mhz.
    Wipeout 1 and 2 don't run.
    PAL games (Wipeout 3 Special Edition, baby) can convert, but don't look right.

Other than the tiny problems I can't really complain about, this is an amazing feat! It's a shame that enhanced products like this and XBOX Media Center aren't released to the public!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    Not quite: The game150 directory are for the homebrews that are meant for firmware 1.5 (i.e. emulators). The game directory (not game302/game303/etc) is used for those games that are to run in the emulated firmware (i.e. PS1 games under 3.02/3.03 OE). PSP games do not go into either game directory, as the system does not recoginze PSP games in either.
    Thanks for clearing that up, NatureBoy. I never fully understood the point of the GAME150/GAME320 folders. I just put everything in PSP/GAME and that works for me. Don't understand why I couldn't see my rom list in NesterJ when it was placed in GAME150 though. Maybe it's because I have 1.5 Kernal enabled. Can someone with 3.03 OE-a and NesterJ test it out and see if they have the same problem? I put my Colecovision emu in the GAME150 folder to see if I'd have any probs with that one, but I was able to see all the roms fine. Maybe it's just a problem with NesterJ.

I do agree the manual instal of OE is pretty easy. I stay away from them though because I had problems with the manual install of the last DevHook release. I messed around with it for 5 hours and I still couldn't get it working. Then I switched to an EZ installer and had it running in a few minutes. I realize the install of DevHook .51 and 3.02 OE are waaaaaay different and Dev was much more complicated, but I feel more comfortable with the EZ's.
    Last edited by norkusa; 01-09-2007 at 05:22 PM.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's kind of weird that you can't just upgrade from 1.5 to 3.03OEa directly. Going those 2 extra steps is a pain, but whatever if it works!!

BTW, since the PSP has less buttons and sticks than a PS1, how do you play games that use them?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
    You just have to make sure that you use the same game ID numbers for each disc (on the discs they're different, but you have to manually input the same ID for each) - that way they'll all share the same memory card. Note though, it doesn't work for games that require that you switch discs BEFORE you save

Just in case anyone's confused. You should have these folders set up.. and since it doesnt set it up for you except for the \GAME folder, you gotta do the rest yourself:

\ISO (on root, put psp isos here)
    \PSP\GAME (for psx games, put their eboots in individual sub-folders)
    \PSP\GAME150 (for 1.5 homebrew.. i.e. your NES and SNES emulators, etc)
    \PSP\GAME320 (for 3.02 homebrew.. never tried any of these. But oh well)
    Good summary, but it should be \PSP\GAME302 not 320

And actually I renamed mine to \PSP\GAME303 now since I'm on 3.03 - I think this is what you're supposed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Flojomojo View Post
    The compression in the later versions of the GUI is brilliant, taking Vagrant Story from over 700mb to just over 100mb.
    What? How? It must be ripped. I've been fiddling with compression on my games and even on level 9, it only shaves off about 25%, if that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Good summary, but it should be \PSP\GAME302 not 320

And actually I renamed mine to \PSP\GAME303 now since I'm on 3.03 - I think this is what you're supposed to do.

That's what I thought at first too. Figured it was just a typo but every tutorial and readme I saw says to name it GAME320, so I just use that.

Don't think it matters what it's called anyways since you don't even need to use that folder for anything right now.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can go straight from 3.02oe b to 3.03 a without setting anything. You just put the 3.03 flasher in the /psp/game150 folder and run it. Worked great for me.

Now there is a minor update to 3.03 that I haven't run yet... these things keep coming~

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    What? How? It must be ripped. I've been fiddling with compression on my games and even on level 9, it only shaves off about 25%, if that.
    Really depends on how squishy the game is... i've been averaging about 50% compression. Some games are more spongy then others...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

3.03 oe-a is just so damn awesome... I was playing some Silent Hill tonite, along with Oddworld: Abe's Odyssee. Only issues, I have are these:

1. no L2 and R2, so you either have to use the analog nub, or you have to re-assign buttons according to the specific game. In a game like Oddworld, where the L2 and R2 are used so much, it kinda sucks, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

2. When I have two or more PS1 games on there, I can't tell which game it is, when i'm in my PSP's XMB thing. It just has the Playstation logo, and I don't know which game it is. I'm guessing there is something I can do to rectify that, I just need to figure out what I'm supposed to do. There is probably an option in PopstationGUI that allows you to configure that somehow, but I haven't figured that out yet. It would be sweet if you could somehow just use a screengrab of the game somehow.

3. Ok, this might be a personal problem, but a game like Silent Hill is a game I can sit and play for a long time, but with me when I try to sit and play a PSP game for a long time, both of my pinkie fingers on each hand start to go numb. WTF? I don't know if this is something to do with me being older and having circulation issues or something like that, or if it's just a reality that playing games on the PSP for long sessions just isn't comfortable for most people. It seems like when you grip the PSP, there just isn't enough to grip onto, and it ends up where your pinkie fingers, and that one finger that is right next to it, start falling asleep at a certain point, and going numb and tingly n shit. Maybe I should get those grip things that you can attatch to the PSP for better comfort. Sure, they look very gay, but man, if it's going to help my fingers not go numb, then I might have to roll with it, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    2. When I have two or more PS1 games on there, I can't tell which game it is, when i'm in my PSP's XMB thing. It just has the Playstation logo, and I don't know which game it is. I'm guessing there is something I can do to rectify that, I just need to figure out what I'm supposed to do. There is probably an option in PopstationGUI that allows you to configure that somehow, but I haven't figured that out yet. It would be sweet if you could somehow just use a screengrab of the game somehow.
    Download PSX2PSP - you can select which images to use as the background, icon, warning screen, and you can even add music (lame) if you want. It's incredibly easy to use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Thanks for clearing that up, NatureBoy. I never fully understood the point of the GAME150/GAME320 folders. I just put everything in PSP/GAME and that works for me. Don't understand why I couldn't see my rom list in NesterJ when it was placed in GAME150 though. Maybe it's because I have 1.5 Kernal enabled. Can someone with 3.03 OE-a and NesterJ test it out and see if they have the same problem? I put my Colecovision emu in the GAME150 folder to see if I'd have any probs with that one, but I was able to see all the roms fine. Maybe it's just a problem with NesterJ.
    It's as clear as mud to me right now because I moved everything that was in GAME150 into GAME and it still worked the same. I'm *guessing* you couldn't see NES roms for the same reason I didn't see them right away after I switched directories - NESTERJ needs to be navigated to the folder containing your roms. After moving the emu from GAME150 to GAME, I had to navigate to the new location of __SCE__NesterJ\roms\ as well.

I do agree the manual instal of OE is pretty easy. I stay away from them though because I had problems with the manual install of the last DevHook release. I messed around with it for 5 hours and I still couldn't get it working. Then I switched to an EZ installer and had it running in a few minutes. I realize the install of DevHook .51 and 3.02 OE are waaaaaay different and Dev was much more complicated, but I feel more comfortable with the EZ's.
    I don't bother with DevHook anymore, as I really don't see the reason for it personally. When I was running 1.50 I used it so that I could buy and play any game I wanted. Now that I'm running 3.03 I can pretty much do that anyway, plus DevHook requires you to flash stuff to your PSP now (whereas 'in the old days' it was just software). It's one risk I'm not willing to take, as the reward is poor IMO. Why do you use it if I may ask?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

1. no L2 and R2, so you either have to use the analog nub, or you have to re-assign buttons according to the specific game. In a game like Oddworld, where the L2 and R2 are used so much, it kinda sucks, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.
    Hasn't been an issue for me at all yet, because I'm playing games that don't use those buttons anyway. Like Crash 2, Mr Driller, and Intelligent Qube

I don't use the GUIs, I use the software as is, and all I have to do is provide an "ICON0.png" (144x80) and an "PIC1.png" (480x272) in the directory and it uses those instead of the default icon. For those I personally snip the name from the cover (and resize to Icon size), and the back of the CD case (and resize) and voila - my games look consistent.

(For the most part I've found scans of my games online, but for Crash 2 and Incredible Crisis, I ended up scanning my own game, as the images I found online stunk).

3. Ok, this might be a personal problem, but a game like Silent Hill is a game I can sit and play for a long time, but with me when I try to sit and play a PSP game for a long time, both of my pinkie fingers on each hand start to go numb. WTF?
    I stretch my hands all the time when playing portables, as otherwise I get cramps too, but I've never noticed a difference between PSP games versus other games. You must be holding the machine differently or something.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Get the images together you want to use, and Photochop them to fit the correct sizes. Rename them with these filenames:

ICON0.PNG - Main icon (134x74 pixels)
    PIC0.PNG - Description image (240x136 pixels) (supports transparency)
    PIC1.PNG - Background image (480x272 pixels)

When creating your eboot, place these 3 image files(must be .png!) in the same folder as the popstation program, and it should attach them to the eboot. If the program tells you the files are too big, you'll have to lower their resolution or otherwise reduce their filesize somehow. Just keep in mind that sub-par images really look like shit on the PSP.

This seems like a good pre-made resource:

http://pixelstation.pixelreview.net/

3. Ok, this might be a personal problem, but a game like Silent Hill is a game I can sit and play for a long time, but with me when I try to sit and play a PSP game for a long time, both of my pinkie fingers on each hand start to go numb. WTF? I don't know if this is something to do with me being older and having circulation issues or something like that, or if it's just a reality that playing games on the PSP for long sessions just isn't comfortable for most people. It seems like when you grip the PSP, there just isn't enough to grip onto, and it ends up where your pinkie fingers, and that one finger that is right next to it, start falling asleep at a certain point, and going numb and tingly n shit. Maybe I should get those grip things that you can attatch to the PSP for better comfort. Sure, they look very gay, but man, if it's going to help my fingers not go numb, then I might have to roll with it, lol.
    Same here. Just rest your hands a bit when it starts to happen. Works for me.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.