Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your 2007 gaming predictions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's funny when you see a response by a known fanboy and their biased prediction is almost exactly what you would have guessed it would be.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

My prediction for 2007 is that I still won't give a shit about how any company is beating any other company, and just sit at home playing games that are fun.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    My prediction for 2007 is that I still won't give a shit about how any company is beating any other company, and just sit at home playing games that are fun.
    Ah.. good to hear some else who doesnt care who "wins"
    Nothing wrong with predictions of course, but i feel that some of these statements are alittle based on what people want to happend instead of whats being realistic, like someone said that Sony will die etc.
    Last edited by jajaja; 12-28-2006 at 02:05 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska View Post
    Do you actually have any idea what you're talking about? Seriously the Wii is not that great and if you challenge me, play wack-a-mole on super monkey ball and try to not to be pissed. Microsoft really is a brilliant company and listens to their consumers. They are far from clueless.
    Don't put yourself in jeopardy by actually justifying any of that. Just saying it is totally proof enough, and is exactly all you need to do when entering a debate with someone.

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Most of the predictions so far seem pretty realistic and grounded in logic...except for one glaring (obvious) omission...

The Wii will be in distant 3rd place by next Christmas. The public will see that the Wii's "innovative" controller is just a simple novelty...and one that doesn't even work that well. I will be supporting the Wii till the end, but the public will eventually loose interest and move on to either the 360 or PS3. The only kink in this prediction is the Wii's fantastic $250 price point vs the PS3's $600 price point (obviously a big deal to the average parent). I guess we'll see.
    This is what i find endlessly amusing about the gaming community. You can have people say stuff like this about the DS, even though it's still going strong. Then, with that clear and shining precedent for how wrong those cries of "cheap gimmick!" were, they'll still go on to say the same thing about the Wii.

What's completely fuckin' bizarre to me is the notion that people will get tired of the Wii's control method even though we're on the 20 billionth year of the standard that the SNES set, and even though systems before the Wii have had plenty of games with crappy controls. Nothing at all to take from that, huh?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find the DS gimmicky and the Wii gimmicky. I don't understand why people like the DS. I like 2D platformers, sure, but woooo, now they're 20x better because I can touch the screen? Errm, no. For me, the PSP is a much better handheld gaming option.

I think in 2K7 the 360 will gain a good deal of market share putting itself in the #1 console spot (although not by a large margin), Wii sales should remain steady, but Wii Mania will taper off, and Playstation 3 sales will pick up after Sony is forced to slash prices or throw in a game with their system.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by poieo View Post
    Don't put yourself in jeopardy by actually justifying any of that. Just saying it is totally proof enough, and is exactly all you need to do when entering a debate with someone.
    Ummm did you actually read any thing you wrote yourself? You offer no justification for any statement you made. I at least offered some. Seriously play Super Monkey Ball and you'll see some serious issues that are showing with the system right now.

I also cited Microsoft listening their consumers as a reason why they will not fail. Granted i didn't state too many fact in my statement but that's because most of the nessecary facts are already well known and widely understood by the rational, non-fanboy, community on this forum.

If you really want to start a debate over this be my guest, but i suggest you try backing up your baseless claims first.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the record for highest ebay ending price videogame for the Atari 2600 will be broken in 2007. Also Atari will do something to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the 2600.
    The Wii will do exceptionally well and will be only behind the Xbox 360.
    Playstation 3 will become the all time biggest flop for a videogame system and Sony will lose a record amount of money in videogaming.
    yep yep

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you really want to start a debate over this be my guest, but i suggest you try backing up your baseless claims first.
    Yeah. Except the person apparently wanting to start a debate here is YOU, jackass. Hence the requirement that YOU back up YOUR rebuttal. Were the basics of human discussion never taught to you?

Protip: One example of a minigame having crappy controls doesn't cut it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Yeah. Except the person apparently wanting to start a debate here is YOU, jackass. Hence the requirement that YOU back up YOUR rebuttal. Were the basics of human discussion never taught to you?
    The Internet...serious business.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Protip: One example of a minigame having crappy controls doesn't cut it.
    First rule of all engagements, know your opponent. Trying to bully me into a flame war isn't going to work. Well i don't sink to your level and start calling people jackasses without provocation and i certainly don't make baseless claims.

You wanted more evidence so i shall provide it.

Most of the Super Monkey Ball Minigames have control issues, Red Steel is lamented by many for it's poor control, motion controls in the legend of Zelda feel tacked on and offer little extra in terms of immersion and Boxing in Wii sports is so randomly unresspoinsive it's not even funny.

If you'd like to take the issue outside fo just controls we can do that as well.

- Poorly designed online service
    - slow interface for navigating the online Store
    - many VC titles are over priced and in some cases we've already seen prices start to rise
    - opting not to support HD because SD has a higher precentage of the market, then turning around and opting for Wifi only even though wired has most of the market
    - lack of first party component cables at launch. Slow arrival post launch
    - lack of wired eithernet to USB adapter until january (And they don't allow 3rd party ones to work)
    - Lack of USB keyboard support
    - Ridiculously short battery life and no rechargable battery pack
    - Lack of any truely impressive titles that aren't mini-game collections
    - Lack of forthcoming 3rd praty exclusives with major appeal
    - Lack of forthcoming 1st party exclusives until late next year

I'm sure there's lots more i haven't mentioned as well.

Now here's a little lesson for you. The greatest debate of all is that which takes place with in a court room and in a court room it is the person who makes the original claim (i.e. you) that is required to prove it, the person disputing the claim (i.e. me) is only required to offer proof that discredits your proof. Your job is to prove your claims to us, not to bitch and moan when we say, "Sorry don't beleive you"

Now i've been good and offered more objections to your theory on the Wii, why don't you try offering some proof for your claims? Especially your claims against Microsoft since the are beyond absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    The Internet...serious business.
    For me it's all in good fun.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You wanted more evidence so i shall provide it.
    No. I wanted some evidence from you and i still don't have it.

Most of the Super Monkey Ball Minigames have control issues, Red Steel is lamented by many for it's poor control, motion controls in the legend of Zelda feel tacked on and offer little extra in terms of immersion and Boxing in Wii sports is so randomly unresspoinsive it's not even funny.
    This would matter if there weren't countless games that have botched controls with "normal" controllers. By your logic, all classic consoles should be written off because they play host to games with stiff or unresponsive controls.

- Poorly designed online service
    - slow interface for navigating the online Store
    - many VC titles are over priced and in some cases we've already seen prices start to rise
    - opting not to support HD because SD has a higher precentage of the market, then turning around and opting for Wifi only even though wired has most of the market
    - lack of first party component cables at launch. Slow arrival post launch
    - lack of wired eithernet to USB adapter until january (And they don't allow 3rd party ones to work)
    - Lack of USB keyboard support
    - Lack of any truely impressive titles that aren't mini-game collections
    - Lack of forthcoming 3rd praty exclusives with major appeal
    - Lack of forthcoming 1st party exclusives until late next year

I'm sure there's lots more i haven't mentioned as well.
    Yeah, like how any of this means MS listens to its consumer base. Might try mentioning that next time. Because if this is the most you're capable of, i can easily come up with a ones-sided, contextless laundry list of comparable flubs that MS has made with the 360.

Now here's a little lesson for you. The greatest debate of all is that which takes place with in a court room and in a court room it is the person who makes the original claim (i.e. you) that is required to prove it, the person disputing the claim (i.e. me) is only required to offer proof that discredits your proof. Your job is to prove your claims to us, not to bitch and moan when we say, "Sorry don't beleive you"
    Thanks. Now, since you're apparently incapable of determining the difference between a courtroom and a thread of predictions on a gaming messageboard, here's a tip for you:

When you pick one out, you are the one challenging and thus, need to come up with something better than "...Nuh-uh!". Put down the sippy cup if that's what's getting in the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Problem I see here is that MS listen to the customers, um info please, I dont want a flame but Im just wondering what
    things they have been listening too?

Bigger Hard Drive?
    Better BC?
    Xbox Live Arcade games that dont Suck?
    Some gameplay to go along with you graphics sir?

Honestly I like my 360 and my Wii, although the actual experience
    of playing games on either one is less then exciting, I find
    it very amusing that with all of these new toys I play more and
    more current gen games, ah well lets hope the new year changes this.

My Prediction is that Nintendo will be contemplating leaving the
    console market and focusing om handhelds as there market
    share falls to a smaller percentage as the year goes on,
    They are doing so many things wrong but are lucky enough
    at the moment that Sony and MS arent doing anything to
    capatilise on this.

Meh I dont care anyways I still have a back catalog of games
    from 2005 to play before I worry too much about 2007 lol
    zomg I have a sig

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Emuaust View Post
    The Problem I see here is that MS listen to the customers, um info please, I dont want a flame but Im just wondering what

Bigger Hard Drive?
    Better BC?

Honestly I like my 360 and my Wii, although the actual experience
    of playing games on either one is less then exciting, I find
    it very amusing that with all of these new toys I play more and
    more current gen games, ah well lets hope the new year changes this.

My Prediction is that Nintendo will be contemplating leaving the
    console market and focusing om handhelds as there market
    share falls to a smaller percentage as the year goes on,
    They are doing so many things wrong but are lucky enough
    at the moment that Sony and MS arent doing anything to
    capatilise on this.

Meh I dont care anyways I still have a back catalog of games
    from 2005 to play before I worry too much about 2007 lol
    Well i'm through arguing with Poieo since he clearly doesn't have any proof his claims there is no real debate to be had. Plus he does a pretty good jhob of discrediting himself in every thread he posts in so there's little need to continue.

But for you Emuaust, since you asked politely and seem to actually be interested in getting an answer, i'll gladly give you one.

Bigger Hard Drive?

Yeah this is the big request and i don't know why they haven't done it yet.

Better BC?

We've been seeing BC updates from time to time and while they're not as common as i would like MS is working hard on it and listening to requests for BC games. For example Psyconauts was added in the latest update and it was a game that has long been asked for.

The problem with MS and BC is that they're not in a position like Sony or Nintendo where they can just throw old parts in the machine and make it work, they have to do straight emulation and on top of that because of lisencing issues with the CPU and GPU of the original xbox they have to manage to emulate both of those without violating any agreements.

If you look at the emualtion seen on PCs you can see that things like that just simply take time. Personally i think they're doing an ok job.

I personally fail to see how this can be attributed to MS listening to their customers or not. Increasing the release schedule to one game nearly every wed was MS responding to the complaints of it's customers, but as for the quality of the games released that really falls on the shoulders of the developers. At the very least the games for the most part aren't glitchy and in the case of Assault Heroes can be kind of fun.

Gears of War anyone? How about Rainbow Six: Vegas? Both are recently released titles that offer solid gameplay experiences both online and off.

Not in to FPS games? Then why not give Dead Rising a try? It's a solid adventure title that's a lot of fun any way you cut it.

Even Viva Pinata is a good fun game for the whole family.

The thing is again this falls more on the shoulders of developers though then Microsoft itself. Remember it's the person who makes the game, not the console manufacturer.

I dont want a flame but Im just wondering what

Well you may not remember/know this but back when the 360 originally launched you weren't able to download items off Xbox live in the background. This was a major problem because with large demos that pushed over the 1 GB mark it would mean your system was unusuable for over an hour.

When the spring update came out back in June Microsoft addressed this issue and added what they call background downloading which allows you to queue up to 5 or 6 (i forget the number) items to download in the background while you do whatever you want with one exception. If you start to play a game on Xbox live the system automatically pauses the download in the background so that it doesn't take up any bandwidth that would be better spent keeping your online experience smooth. It's also worth noting that the queue pauses when you turn off the system and automatically resumes when you turn it back on.

Microsoft has also made numerous changes to the layout of items on the Games and Media blades in order to make navigation more smooth based on input from the community.

Many gamers also complained about how the system would autoload a game on boot up when they just wanted to boot to the dash. MS added an option in the settings allowing you to choose how you want your system to startup.

Recently MS also fixed a long standing complaint about the Xbox live arcade list. For many months gamers had complained about how long it takes to load the list of arcade titles. MS said they were working on it and when they released the fall update sure enough the problem was fixed. They also added several options to sort the list of XBLA titles because the community had complained about how long it was getting and how hard it was to find stuff.

They also added an autodownload option for new XBLA titles so that people don't have to go looking for trials to see if the game is any good. This is an option i myself asked for.

When the video player was originally launched it only allowed you to stop and pause movies downloaded from the marketplace. MS listened and in the srpgin update enabled full controls for all videos downloaded from xbox live.

You may also remember they recently added to option to stream movies from any PC running windows media connect, not just systems running Windows XP MC edition. It doesn't decode Divx (for liability reasons) but other wise it's what we were looking for.

MS also has Major Nelson who give the community a single point of contact for critical errors and information. Even if the Major doesn't always gut people the way we want he does at least some the community that MS is listening.

Take the EA paying for cheats thing. We weren't happy with what that asshole said on his show, but at least they gave us someone to point our fingers at and direct all complaints too.

I think thaat list should be suffice but if you'd like more i'm sure i could come up with some.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will agree with you on some items but sorry I wont give you
    the points for the BC arguement, emulation is slow and buggy on
    PC for the fact emu authors are hobbiest programmers or at best
    have little source material to form emu's from, that is the hard
    slow way of making things work, MS have all source material
    relating to the workings of the Xbox, they CHOOSE to, IMO, not
    give us great BC due to the limited to no income the will recieve in the short term.

Also IMO I think there justification for this is, if true, is infact
    a load of bullshit and would have more benfit to there brand image
    to have great support.

To be honest I dont think they listen to the things that count
    try and track down an offical xbox controller outside of the USA,
    Good luck trying in countries like Australia.

MS dont seem to me to be doing things that great at all, they just seem to be doing things better then the other 2,
    its a sad state in gaming really,
    zomg I have a sig

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

In regards to that i present this short essay by Michael Brundage. He worked on BC and is a respected individual. Not a pawn.

http://www.qbrundage.com/michaelb/pu...s/xbox360.html

As for the controller i can't really comment. my only experience is within ym own country, Canada, and here it's never been an issue. I'll make sure to ask my aussie friends about that, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    gutpocket

I have at least 50 hours on these energizers I put in it and they still are 3/4ths full.
    I reccomend buying some good batteries they always are worth it for me.

Also the Wii has be best BC for any system, it actually plays EVERY gamecube game unlike ps2/3 and xbox/360(which i hope to own before 2008)

but yeah battery life = good and we should see some 3rd party rechargables soon

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well i'm through arguing with Poieo since he clearly doesn't have any proof his claims there is no real debate to be had. Plus he does a pretty good jhob of discrediting himself in every thread he posts in so there's little need to continue.
    I love it when people try to act like they're taking the high road despite failing to provide anything of substance. The simple fact is that i'm not going to put forth the effort to writing it all again for some childish retard who's put forth none of his own. If you're so familiar with my posts, ace, then you should have no problem at all finding the ones where i layed out exactly what i thought MS' fuckups were.

But then again, that's not the point is it? That little bit would just ruin your ability to declare yourself winner despite not saying anything, wouldn't it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont think the link is really all that valid, as someone with an emu background
    not haveing a windows swap file or system heavy OS is a major advantage,
    to compare PC emulation to console or hanheld emu's is bar far the most part pointless.

Stating to Emulate this for example 1ghz machine I need a 5ghz machine is without
    knowing an awful lot about the subject matter, i dont mean to sound rude but
    maybe you should check out the PSP PSX emulation and tell me if this theory
    can be really justified, the reason Sony could pull of the emulation is no real miracle
    and I fully understand that we are talking very vastly different hardware structures
    here but with the resources MS has at its dissposal the BC is by far the most part a joke.

Also you dont seem to be looking at this issue from a Worldwide point of view,
    BC is bad on the 360 if your in the US but worse outside of the US, how are our PAL
    gamers going with there Soulcalibur 2's? MS dont give a fck about anything outside
    of the USA.

This is a problem.

Anyways that is all, thread is flame bait and pointless now, I take my leave.
    zomg I have a sig

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-Nintendo With the Inovation that is the Wii Contoler Will Continue to sell strong throughout 2007 picking up a few eclusives along the way
    -Microsoft's XBOX 360 with its 1 year Lead will be too much to overcome and will be the main console of the generation
    -Sony and its PS3 will have a really really bad start to 2007 but as Consumers start to reallize that Blu Ray is better than HD-DVD the sales will start to pick up in the middle of the year as a cheap Blu Ray Player and carry it through the rest of 2007, but it will not catch either console this generation.
    -the PC will continue to get great titles but the PC downfall will already begin with the realse of Windows Vista and will cause a mass migration to Macs, Linux and mabye even the Amiga.
    -3rd Parties will make Rash Judgements and make more games Multiplatform.
    -More Retro games and game collections will be made for the Various platforms
    -Oh yeah GOTY 2007 will be a Wii Game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will not be getting a new gen console this year either.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"