Thread: Magnavox Odyssey (for next classic guide?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Magnavox Odyssey (for next classic guide?)

Found this in my archives, and updated version of my last Odyssey listing for the classic guide. Wonder if it is of any use for the next guide?

Magnavox Odyssey

Text by Thomas Holzer with extra info from David Winter

U.S. GAME RELEASES:

Baseball................Magnavox..............$20/R3
    All six games from 1972 had a simultaneous release. This game was issued in the standard long Odyssey-type game box, and included 2 TV Overlays (12" + 22"), a game board, a scoreboard, instructions (EL-2788-1) and various playing cards (10 power cards, 10 big break cards, 12 runner tokens). For the game itself, you had to use cartridge, eg Game Card # 3 from the base unit. You were able to purchase the game on its own, or in a special six-pack box containing all 1972 games. Pops up on ebay quite regular. Sports/Baseball. Released 1972. # ITL700

Basketball..............Magnavox..............$100/R9
    All four games from 1973 had a simultaneous release. This game was issued in the standard long Odyssey-type game box, but featured better (colorful) box art. Contents were the usual 12" and 22" TV Overlays, a scoreboard, instructions (EL 2905-1) and also included a cartridge, eg Game Card # 8. You will also find a Game Card # 8 enclosed with the game Handball. Released in the later life of the Odyssey, less than twenty Basketball games are known to exist in the world, making this game extremely rare. You were able to purchase the game on its own, or in a special 6-pack box containing all 1973 games plus two 1972 games. Consider yourself very lucky to find this game on ebay. Sports/Basketball. Released 1973. # 7123

Blue Double Card........Apex-Magnavox.........$600/R10
    Recently surfaced, and includes cartridges #7 and #8 as a double-ender. Forget Xonox or even Playaround, Apex-Magnavox were the first to introduce a double ended cartridge in the middle 70s. This double-ender can be used for the games Handball, Basketball and Volleyball. So far only three double-ender cards have been found. Released 1974? # ?

Brainwave...............Magnavox...............$10 0/R9
    All four games from 1973 had a simultaneous release. This game was issued in the standard long Odyssey-type game box, but featured better (colorful) box art. Contents were the usual 12" and 22" TV Overlays plus a board game, green and blue thought tiles, green and blue memory banks, green and blue power markers, dice and instructions (EL 2911-1). For the game itself, you had to use cartridge, eg Game Card # 3 from the base unit. Released in the later life of the Odyssey, less than twenty Brain Wave games are known to exist in the world, making this game extremely rare. You were able to purchase the game on its own, or in a special 6-pack box containing all 1973 games plus two 1972 games. Consider yourself very lucky to find this game on ebay. Released 1973. # 7176

Cartridge 1---Game Card # 1..........Magnavox...........$5.00/R2
    Table Tennis. This Game Card is included with the console in the main box. Basically the first Pong game. No TV Overlays needed. Sports/Pong. Released 1972.

Cartridge 2--- Game Card # 2.........Magnavox...........$5.00/R2
    Ski, Simon Says and also functions as a cartridge for Fun Zoo and Percepts. This Game Card is included with the console in the main box. Many Odyssey Game Cards had several game functions, this one, for example, had you guiding your 'ball' down a slippery ski slope in the game Ski, or, simply place the 'ball' in the required area in 'Simon Says'. TV Overlays, game playing cards, dice and other Game-aids were included in the main box. Multi/Sports/Quiz. Released 1972.

Cartridge 3--- Game Card # 3.........Magnavox............$5.00/R2
    Tennis, Analogic, Hockey, Football (passing and kicking) and also functions as a cartridge for Baseball and Brainwave. This Game Card is included with the console in the main box. Many Odyssey Game Cards supported more than one game because many game functions were really basic. TV Overlays, game playing cards, dice and other Game-aids were included in the main box. Multi/Sports/Logic. Released 1972.

Cartridge 4--- Game Card # 4.........Magnavox............$5.00/R2
    Cat and Mouse, Haunted House and Football (running) and also functions as a cartridge for Invasion and W.I.N. This Game Card is included with the console in the main box. Many Odyssey Game Cards supported more than one game because many game functions were really basic, different Game Cards even had different functions for the same game, in this case, Invasion utilized three Game Cards, depending on what game you play . TV Overlays, game playing cards, dice and other Game-aids were included in the main box. Multi/Sports/Quiz/Maze. Released 1972.

Cartridge 5---Game Card # 5..........Magnavox............$5.00/R2
    Submarine and also functions as a cartridge for Wipeout and Invasion. This Game Card is included with the console in the main box. Many Odyssey Game Cards supported more than one game because many game functions were really basic, different Game Cards even had different functions for the same game, in this case, Invasion utilized three Cards, depending on what game you play . TV Overlays, game playing cards, dice and other Game-aids were included in the main box. Multi/Strategy. Released 1972.

Cartridge 6--- Game Card # 6.........Magnavox.............$5.00/R2
    Roulette, States and also functions as a cartridge for Invasion. This Game Card is included with the console in the main box. Many Odyssey Game Cards supported more than one game because many game functions were really basic, different Game Cards even had different functions for the same game, in this case, Invasion utilized three Cards, depending on what game you play . TV Overlays, game playing cards, dice and other Game-aids were included in the main box. Multi/Gambling/Educational. Released 1972.

Cartridge 7--- Game Card # 7.........Magnavox..............$20/R3
    Volleyball. All six games from 1972 had a simultaneous release. This game was issued in the standard long Odyssey-type game box, and included 2 TV Overlays (12" + 22"), instructions (EL 2790-1) and a new cartridge eg Game Card # 7. You were able to purchase the game on its own, or in a special six-pack box containing all 1972 games. Pops up on ebay quite regular. Sports/Volleyball. Released 1972. # ITL702

Cartridge 8--- Game Card # 8.........Magnavox...............$20/R3
    Handball. All six games from 1972 had a simultaneous release. This game was issued in the standard long Odyssey-type game box, and included 2 TV Overlays (12" + 22"), instructions (EL 2789-1) and a new cartridge, eg Game Card # 8. You were able to purchase the game on its own, or in a special six-pack box containing all 1972 games. A Game Card # 8 was also issued with the 1973 game, Basketball. Handball pops up on ebay quite regular. Sports/Handball. Released 1972. # ITL701

Cartridge 9--- Game Card # 9.........Magnavox...............$20/R4
    Shootout, Dogfight, Prehistoric Safari. This Game Card together with Card # 10 came supplied with the Shooting Gallery, an optional extra available for the Odyssey. Some shooting games required two people to play the game, one person to operate the rifle, and the second person to move the target 'ball' around the screen. TV Overlays and instructions (IB-3258-1) were included in the Shooting Gallery box. Multi/Shooting/Target. Released 1972.

Cartridge 10--- Game card # 10.......Magnavox...............$20/R4
    Shooting Gallery. This Game Card together with Card # 9 came supplied with the Shooting Gallery, an optional extra available for the Odyssey. TV Overlays and instructions (IB-3258-1) were included in the Shooting Gallery box. Shooting/Target. Released 1972.

Cartridge 12--- Game Card # 12.......Magnavox...............$100/R9
    Interplanetary Voyage. All four games from 1973 had a simultaneous release. This game was issued in the standard long Odyssey-type game box, but featured better (colorful) box art. Contents were the usual 12" and 22" TV Overlays, mission cards, knowledge cards, a Data screen game board, chips, 4 spaceship tokens, instructions (EL-2910-1) and a new cartridge, eg Game Card # 12. Released in the later life of the Odyssey, less than twenty Interplanetary Voyage games are known to exist in the world, making this game extremely rare. You were able to purchase the game on its own, or in a special 6-pack box containing all 1973 games plus two 1972 games. Consider yourself very lucky to find this game on ebay. Space/Action. Released 1973. # 7175

Fun Zoo..............Magnavox................$20/R3
    All six games from 1972 had a simultaneous release. This game was issued in the standard long Odyssey-type game box, and included 2 TV Overlays (12" + 22"), 28 Fun Zoo playing cards and instructions (EL 2793-1). For the game itself, you had to use cartridge, eg Game Card # 2 from the base unit. You were able to purchase the game on its own, or in a special six-pack box containing all 1972 games. Pops up on ebay quite regular. Released 1972. # ITL900

Invasion............Magnavox.................$20/R3
    All six games from 1972 had a simultaneous release. This game was issued in the standard long Odyssey-type game box, and included 2 TV Overlays (12" + 22"), 40 treasure loot playing cards, 300 plastic army tokens, 4 plastic ships, board game, dice and instructions (EL 2792-1). For the game itself, you had to use cartridge, eg Game Card # 4 or 5 or 6 (depending on game) from the base unit. You were able to purchase the game on its own, or in a special six-pack box containing all 1972 games. Pops up on ebay quite regular. Simulation/Wargame. Released 1972. # ITL801.

Percepts............Magnavox.................$50/R6
    A special Odyssey game for which you had to send off the 'Receive a free Odyssey game' coupon, supplied with the Magnavox Odyssey base unit. Includes 2 TV Overlays, 2 card decks and instructions (EL 2603-1). For the game itself, you had to use cartridge, eg Game Card # 2 from the base unit. This game was shipped in a plain cardboard box with the ITL number printed upon it. Not as rare as some people say, you can find this game quite often included with the main unit on ebay. Puzzle/Cardgame. Released 1972. # ITL802

W.I.N................Magnavox................$100/R9
    All four games from 1973 had a simultaneous release. This game was issued in the standard long Odyssey-type game box, but featured better (colorful) box art. Contents were the usual 12" and 22" TV Overlays, 4 wax slates, 4 plastic pens, 45 playing cards and instructions (EL 2913-1). For the game itself, you had to use cartridge, eg Game Card # 4 from the base unit. Released in the later life of the Odyssey, less than twenty W.I.N. games are known to exist in the world, making this game extremely rare. You were able to purchase the game on its own, or in a special 6-pack box containing all 1973 games plus two 1972 games. Consider yourself very lucky to find this game on ebay. W.I.N. stands for Words, Images, Numbers. Puzzle/Logic. Released 1973. # 7302

Wipeout..............Magnavox.................$20/R3
    All six games from 1972 had a simultaneous release. This game was issued in the standard long Odyssey-type game box, and included 2 TV Overlays (12" + 22"), game board, 25 pit stop cards, 4 plastic cars and instructions (EL 2791-1). For the game itself, you had to use cartridge, eg Game Card # 5 from the base unit. You were able to purchase the game on its own, or in a special six-pack box containing all 1972 games. Pops up on ebay quite regular. Racing/ Car. Released 1972. # ITL800

NON-CARTRIGE ITEMS

Antenna-Game Switch.........Magnavox................$10/R3
    Think your usual Antenna/Game switch selector, but bigger, and with two hooks to hook it onto the back of your TV (air vents). Often missing from base unit. # ITL001

Carrying Case...............Magnavox................$30/R5
    Beige carrier, holds Odyssey, Controllers, Game Cards, Game-Aids, TV Overlays and more. # YD7450

Magnavox Odyssey............Magnavox................$50/R4
    This is the one, the original home gaming console. Programmable as well. Released in 1972, the console came boxed with a double Styrofoam enclosure. In the bottom part of the box there was the console, the Antenna-Game switch and two controllers (joysticks), actually they were called Player Control Units. In the top half you would find all TV Overlays in two sizes for all eleven game titles, six cartridges (Game Cards) and numerous add-on's, called Game-aids, for example: a Football/Roulette game board, playing cards, chips, paper money, a map of the USA, dice, the Odyssey Installation and Game Rules manual, several leaflets, C-type batteries and even a roll of sticky-tape. Most Odyssey games were for up to four players, and involved heavy interaction with all Game-aids. You could say that there was more action going on with the game board than on the TV screen. The Odyssey was a very simple 'bat' and 'ball' Pong-type unit, and very often you would just move the on-screen 'ball' a few inches and then refer back to the 'table-action'. Released 1972. # ITL200

Power Adapter...............Magnavox..................$1 0/R7
    The console ran on batteries, but later Magnavox released a PSU as well. # 1A9179

Shooting Gallery............Magnavox..................$30/R4
    As an optional extra you could purchase a rifle, which looked extremely lifelike. Enclosed with the rifle you'd find eight TV Overlays (12" and 22") for the four different games, instructions and the two above mentioned cartridges, eg Game Cards # 9 and # 10. # ITL950

NON U.S. CONSOLE RELEASES

Odyssey..............Magnavox................$0/R
    The 1974 export version of the Odyssey for 12 countries: Australia, Belgium, England, France, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, Japan, Switzerland, USSR, Venezuela.

Odyssey..............Magnavox/Nintendo..............$0/R
    The big 'N' imported (licensed?) the Odyssey for the Japanese market in 1975, just prior to their own Pong units. This is mentioned briefly in the book 'Game Over', and also in the German book 'Spielkonsolen und Heimcomputer',but no more information is available.

Odyssee...............ITT/Schaub Lorenz.........$0/R
    The between 1974 and 1976 released German version of the Odyssey, licensed from Magnavox by ITT/Schaub Lorenz. Has a blue ITT Odyssee title and different photos on the box. Includes two manuals in German language, one for the console, and another for the ten games which came with the system: Analogic, Hockey, Simon Says, Ski, Soccer, Submarine, Table Tennis, Tennis, Volleyball, Wipeout.

NON U.S. GAME RELEASES

Soccer....................Magnavox/ITT................$0/R
    For the Non USA market, (European) Soccer was included instead of (USA) Football. Basically, they included a different TV Overlays with Soccer goals and instructions. This game was included with the Export and ITT licensed versions.

RUMOR MILL

Cartridge 11--- Game Card #11.............Magnavox...........$0/R
    Mentioned in the Magnavox Odyssey service manual, this cart was designed for 'Basketball', but later dropped, as cart # 8 was used for this game.

Channel 34...........................???...............$0/R
    Swedish verion of the Odyssey, released in 1975. A picture exists, but that's it so far.

PROTOTYPES AND ONE-OF-A-KINDS

Golf Putting Game (Prototype?)...........Ralph Bear...........$0/R
    This game was invented by Ralph Bear and it was a different game in the sense that it didn't use the usual Odyssey controllers, but a special joystick on top of which a golf ball was fixed (text by David Winter).

4-Player Odyssey.............Magnavox............$0/R
    Later between 1973 and 1974, Magnavox planned to release an improved Odyssey. It was basically a 4-player system which inherited all of the Odyssey circuits and added two more players. As no prototype survived, schematics and related documents are known to exist and contain enough information to build what would have been the 4-player Odyssey. Existing Odyssey games would be played by two teams of 2 players, and more games could be imagined (text by David Winter).

Super Odyssey (Prototype?)...............Ralph Bear...........$0/R
    Ralph Bear decided to modify an Odyssey in his lab. He made a small electronic circuit that he connected to the Odyssey (to the "Gate Matrix" module which manages collisions between the objects displayed on screen), which could therefore produce some sound when the ball hit a player. Thinking about the limited capabilities of this console, he also made improved cartridges by putting additional electronic components on them, which gave new features to the Odyssey. Then, he tried to use again his "cable TV" games where the overlays were replaced by constant pictures to be broadcast through the TV cable. His idea was better, since in addition to the "broadcast overlays", new moving [football] players were also to be broadcast, thus giving the impression of playing with distant players. The modified Odyssey (that he called "Super Odyssey") was able to detect these additional players, and even act on them as if they were true players, thus letting users play against virtual ones (text by David Winter).
    Last edited by tom; 12-26-2006 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Less than ten Interplanetary Voyages known? Are you sure? I once had three of them myself. I'm not saying they're not rare, I'm just saying that I think there may be more than ten.

Just counting "complete", I can can come up with nine copies (and their eight owners, because Winter probably has two) off the top of my head.

There's the two people I sold my IPV completes to, plus one other that I gave a piece to make their's complete. There's Winter, who, I've heard, has two. There's you. There's player01. There's Digital Press, I'd bet. I know I'm forgetting the name of another, but they are a separate and distinct individual from the already mentioned. That's nine right there, plus I've still got one that's missing a question and a mission card. So that's, like, 9.95 copies. Which, I'll grant you, is still less than 10. However, if there are less than 10 known to be in collector's hands, I can't be one of the people who can rattle off the owners of nine of them, can I?

Less than 15? Maybe. Less than 20 and I'm completely on board.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I included my 1973 six-pack shipping box when I sold one of the IPVs, so count that as another sighting of the 1973 shipping box.
    Last edited by mezrabad; 12-26-2006 at 04:16 PM.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

sounds fine to me too :-)....changed it
    Last edited by tom; 12-26-2006 at 06:31 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I call BS on most of this post:

Basketball..............Magnavox..............$100/R9
    All four games from 1973 had a simultaneous release.
    I've seen all four 1973 games go for muxh less than $100 on eBay, boxed and complete.

Brainwave...............Magnavox...............$10 0/R9
    ...less than twenty Brain Wave games are known to exist in the world, making this game extremely rare.
    Where does this number come from? I bet more than 20 people on this forum own this common Odyssey game. BS on the price, again... same with WIN, et cetera.

Magnavox Odyssey............Magnavox................$50/R4
    This is the one, the original home gaming console. Programmable as well. Released in 1972, the console came boxed with a double Styrofoam enclosure. In the bottom part of the box there was the console, the Antenna-Game switch and two controllers (joysticks), actually they were called Player Control Units. In the top half you would find all TV Overlays in two sizes for all eleven game titles, six cartridges (Game Cards) and numerous add-on's, called Game-aids, for example: a Football/Roulette game board, playing cards, chips, paper money, a map of the USA, dice, the Odyssey Installation and Game Rules manual, several leaflets, C-type batteries and even a roll of sticky-tape. Most Odyssey games were for up to four players, and involved heavy interaction with all Game-aids. You could say that there was more action going on with the game board than on the TV screen. The Odyssey was a very simple 'bat' and 'ball' Pong-type unit, and very often you would just move the on-screen 'ball' a few inches and then refer back to the 'table-action'. Released 1972. # ITL200
    1. The Odyssey is not programmable in any way.

2. A complete unit eBays for at least $90.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

comlpete unit for less that $90 on ebay! I've not seen that in years....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I seek strength, not to be greater than by brother, but to fight my greatest enemy - myself!"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ozyr's Odyssey2 Archive!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ozyr View Post
    comlpete unit for less that $90 on ebay! I've not seen that in years....
    The following is a link to a completed listing. You will need to be logged in on eBay to view it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magnavox-1972-Od...QQcmdZViewItem