Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Sega 32X System Dongle"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone emailed me telling me about this thread, and I guess I don't have too much to chime in with other than what I said in the item description is pretty much true. We got these out of 32X consoles that we sold, as we at one point had a whole bunch of them and we opened up all the boxes to make sure everything was complete, and we plucked these out as they were about one in every three consoles and we wanted everything to be similar. I couldn't find any information on them, so we just kept them in a bag for a couple years.

Then randomly, someone here asked me if I had one and I said sure, do you want it? And that's how they became listed on the site.

My belief is it is some weird FCC compiance thing, but I really have no idea. If anyone wants one, I've got probably a half dozen or so left
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post

I guess Sega found out there was a problem with the design and started including them with 32X half-way through production.

Can't be. Mine was a very early version, purchased just after the launch. Most likely is that later the FCC gave in and Sega stopped shipping them.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    That would certainly get more kids to plug it in than if it were called the "Bus terminator", "Happy pulldown module" or "RF buster"
    Welcome to the planet EM, ruled by the evil forces of FCC. Grab your dongle and prepare to terminate some busses in your quest to destroy the harmful interference that is plaguing the land! Do you have what it takes to match impedences with the most ferocious, crosstalkin' baddasses around and ground them once and for all? Hurry before the evil FCC forces your friends to comply with the insidious Part-15!

--Zero
    Last edited by Ze_ro; 01-21-2007 at 02:09 AM.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya know, that would work as a story for just about any space shooter.

"Grab your dongle"

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I never got that devices
    and I got mine from back when they were new

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My unit came with the dongle (I bought it new from a Wal-Mart I think) and I came across my instructions last night. To verify what someone else mentioned, there was no mention of the dongle anywhere.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Peanut-Butter View Post
    My unit came with the dongle (I bought it new from a Wal-Mart I think) and I came across my instructions last night. To verify what someone else mentioned, there was no mention of the dongle anywhere.
    Also to verify what someone else mentioned, the instructions for the "dongle" were on a seperate card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zadoc View Post
    Okay... so, who here has 32X instructions that show this peice?
    I do. Didn't ANY of you guys see me trying to sell my "100% COMPLETE" boxed 32X on evilBay a few months back? It never sold and I'm glad it didn't frankly. Anyways.. mine has that dongle in it. There is a separate sheet (about the size of a paperback) that came in the box along with the fold-out manual and another pack-in sheet that warns about NOT using the 32X on a CDX (hehe.. after it's already illustrated in the main manual), not plugging a power base conveter into the 32X (..duh!) and it talks about the EM shield plates and about how "using stereo A/V cables with a 32X that is connected to Genesis models 1600, 1601, 1610, 1611, etc... may not output any audio (whatever that means).

Anyways.. the sheets in 6 or 7 languages.. has an illustration of the dongle by itself and on the other side.. shows 2 pictures of how to attach it to a model 2. On the front side it says:

Using a Genesis/Mega Drive not connected with a Sega CD/Mega CD

Before connecting the Genesis 32X/Mega Drive 32X, attach the 32X Extension Unit to the expansion slot of your original Genesis model/original Mega Drive model or new Genesis model/Mega Drive II.

Note: If the Sega CD/Mega CD is attached to the Genesis/Mega Drive, the 32X Extension Unit is not needed.

Back side (with the attachment diagrams):

1. Remove the expansion slot panel and inner cover from the expansion slot on the rear of the Genesis/Mega Drive. (Some models may not have an inner cover.)

2. Attach the 32X Extension unit to the expansion slot.

.. end of story.. there you have it! So officially.. it is referred to as a "32X Extension Unit". There is no mention of WHY you have to have it.. or what purpose it serves; and it's NOT mentioned or illustrated in the equipment listing in the main manual fold-out. Almost like an afterthought.. but my boxed 32X DID come with one.

IT'S SUPER RARE!!! Actually.. reading this addendum and looking at the diagram.. what I find intriguing and probably even MORE elusive is this little "cap" they show covering the expansion slot pins.. nestled underneath the actual port cap itself (referred to in the instructions as the "inner cover")! Who the hell has ever seen one of those? I haven't.
    Last edited by scorch56; 01-27-2007 at 05:24 AM.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This sounds like it'd make a great article.

scorch56, any chance you could scan both sides of that dongle sheet?

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56 View Post
    what I find intriguing and probably even MORE elusive is this little "cap" they show covering the expansion slot pins.. nestled underneath the actual port cap itself (referred to in the instructions as the "inner cover")! Who the hell has ever seen one of those? I haven't.
    I've seen those on a bunch of Genesis' over the years, and my Genesis 2 has one. It's just a red piece of plastic that fits snugly over the edge connector which says "DO NOT REMOVE" on it, with static electricity logo. Why they bothered putting this on there is anyone's guess... it's just plastic, so it doesn't provide any EM shielding or anything like that. I guess the point was to make sure dumbasses didn't accidentally zap their system with static electricity, but I would think the outer cover would do the job fine.

--Zero

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca78 View Post
    I don't know if you live here, but in the U.S. the 32X works with a standard Genesis model 2 RF adapter.

That's because the model 2 RF adaptor converts composite to RF. The 32X has no RF output.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I agree that this piece was for certain genesis 2 systems to make it playable with the 32X. I have two boxed systems and one has it and one does not. I have always played mine without it, but it is becasue I have the whole Genesis 32X/CD jumbled hookup.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelflack View Post
    That's because the model 2 RF adaptor converts composite to RF. The 32X has no RF output.
    I guess it depends on how you take the term "work with". The 32X may not output RF but it definitely "works" with a RF adapter. And as stated earlier, late model Genesis systems don't output RF either, right?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anything can "work with" RF, given that you have an appropriate converter. Your Genesis can also run on 50,000 volt AC power...if you have a big enough transformer to step it down to 9VDC.

I think what was being discussed was the native output of the system.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56 View Post
    I do. Didn't ANY of you guys see me trying to sell my "100% COMPLETE" boxed 32X on evilBay a few months back? It never sold and I'm glad it didn't frankly. Anyways.. mine has that dongle in it. There is a separate sheet (about the size of a paperback) that came in the box along with the fold-out manual and another pack-in sheet that warns about NOT using the 32X on a CDX (hehe.. after it's already illustrated in the main manual), not plugging a power base conveter into the 32X (..duh!) and it talks about the EM shield plates and about how "using stereo A/V cables with a 32X that is connected to Genesis models 1600, 1601, 1610, 1611, etc... may not output any audio (whatever that means).

Anyways.. the sheets in 6 or 7 languages.. has an illustration of the dongle by itself and on the other side.. shows 2 pictures of how to attach it to a model 2. On the front side it says:

Using a Genesis/Mega Drive not connected with a Sega CD/Mega CD

Before connecting the Genesis 32X/Mega Drive 32X, attach the 32X Extension Unit to the expansion slot of your original Genesis model/original Mega Drive model or new Genesis model/Mega Drive II.

Note: If the Sega CD/Mega CD is attached to the Genesis/Mega Drive, the 32X Extension Unit is not needed.

Back side (with the attachment diagrams):

1. Remove the expansion slot panel and inner cover from the expansion slot on the rear of the Genesis/Mega Drive. (Some models may not have an inner cover.)

2. Attach the 32X Extension unit to the expansion slot.

.. end of story.. there you have it! So officially.. it is referred to as a "32X Extension Unit". There is no mention of WHY you have to have it.. or what purpose it serves; and it's NOT mentioned or illustrated in the equipment listing in the main manual fold-out. Almost like an afterthought.. but my boxed 32X DID come with one.

IT'S SUPER RARE!!! Actually.. reading this addendum and looking at the diagram.. what I find intriguing and probably even MORE elusive is this little "cap" they show covering the expansion slot pins.. nestled underneath the actual port cap itself (referred to in the instructions as the "inner cover")! Who the hell has ever seen one of those? I haven't.

Please let me know if you're willing to scan the instructions.

I don't think it's rare at all. For example, the GOAT Store has several in stock. Also, I have seen tons of these in the wild, and finally, the 32X sold very well at launch, and all early models came with the 32X Extension Unit.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelflack View Post
    I think what was being discussed was the native output of the system.
    No, what was being discussed was this expansion port cover/shield/dongle thing, which most likely exists because the FCC thought the Genesis/32X put out too much radio interference otherwise. Interference that might impact not only an RF converter built into the system, but also an external one like you'd use with the 32X or for that matter totally separate RF devices as well.

...word is bondage...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was quite obviously referring to the specific post I addressed, and not the the thread as a whole.

Good grief.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll hook up my scanner (haven't used it in ages) and scan both sides of the thing real soon. When I bought my boxed 32X it was a refurb unit. It looks brand new, and I'm sure it came with all of the stock equipment of the time. Like I said.. there's absolutely NO mention of the actual function of the thing anywhere. It sure as hell looks like some of the SCSI terminators I've got laying around.. to think of it (Ahhh.. SCSI.. what a PITA). It would be nice to have an official statement by Sega as to what it's for.Theories aside.. maybe it will become the next "console mystery".. much like "Why do SNES' go yellow?" I say alien technology. As far as this goes.. it's a government mandated listening device.

"You think everything's a conspiracy Hippy."