Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Classic Gaming Expo 2007 Announced!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

where did CGE have it at before in vegas? was it the palace? my memory is failing me.

Rick

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rick weis View Post
    where did CGE have it at before in vegas? was it the palace? my memory is failing me.

Rick
    it was allways in the palace in freemont street when they were in vegas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sigh... I was hoping this would be my first CGE experience...

I really wanted to attend but I have to be at SDCC because I'm running an event for gaming.

Maybe 2 years from now!
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is CGE officially going to be every other year now? I know they skipped last year, but I was thinking it was going to be back on the annual schedule now (or did I miss an annoucement?).

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Iacovelli View Post
    just wondering if/when are they going announce the hotel/discounts for the show.
    it's been close to a month.(the website site said in a week)
    It's been about 10 days and I do apologize for the delay. We'll have the hotel info on the site in the next few days, promise.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    It's been about 10 days and I do apologize for the delay. We'll have the hotel info on the site in the next few days, promise.
    no prob joe,I know how it is,was just wondering.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    This is true, but you're talking about a videogame con conflicting with a comic con.
    I guess you've never been to Comic-Con, then, because in the last three years it has become the largest consumer-oriented event for upcoming video games. And with E3 restructured now, I'd imagine a lot of the work I'd normally have to do in May will be moved to the Con.

I really wanted to see some of you guys again, but like others I'm also predisposed at San Diego...I've attended both conventions nearly every year since 1999, I'm pretty sure this is the first time they've ever conflicted.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Huh. I'm a raging fanboy geek nerd, and SDCC has never been a even a slight blip on my radar. Just saying I was unaware of this con's draw. Dragoncon, Origins, Gencon - THOSE are the big draws of comic/game fandom. Huh. Well, enjoy the west coast then.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Huh. I'm a raging fanboy geek nerd, and SDCC has never been a even a slight blip on my radar. Just saying I was unaware of this con's draw. Dragoncon, Origins, Gencon - THOSE are the big draws of comic/game fandom. Huh. Well, enjoy the west coast then.
    Yeah...I'm not trying to start an argument or shoot you down or anything, but I don't think Comic-Con should be glossed over as something non-competitive to CGE.

Joe, CGE guys, I know we don't talk much anymore, but I would heavily advise you to change those dates, if at all possible, if you plan to grow your attendance numbers. You're running an expo for video game fans and collectors of nostalgic memorabilia, and you're doing so at the same time as THE BIGGEST show that caters to, more or less, these same things.

I understand that the "core" CGE audience of classic video game collectors, such as Sniderman, might not be the same group that attends the comic-con, but I would assume that your show revenue depends on expanding your audience behind that small core, and all of your biggest cross-section market of geeks is going to be in San Diego that weekend (not to mention all of the gaming press!). I think this is especially important given your location; I know you typically try to draw a local crowd as well as your travelers to CGE, but as someone who lived 23 years of his life in Las Vegas, I predict that you're not going to draw very many locals to the strip to check out a curiosity. We avoid that area as much as possible, I think the only locals you're going to get are the hardcore, and Vegas doesn't have many of those.

I don't run the show, I don't pretend to be involved, and I know my advice is completely unsolicited and probably not appreciated, but I like CGE and can't help but feel a little protective of it. So...there you go, just some friendly advice from someone who cares.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They changed the name of the chicago-comi-con to Wizard world since it's ran by wizard comics.
    there are just to many cons going compared to the last ten years and it's basiclly hard to schedule one and each to avoid conflict.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Iacovelli View Post
    They changed the name of the chicago-comi-con to Wizard world since it's ran by wizard comics.
    Ah, now Wizard World I am indeed familar with. Now I understand. It's a biggie.
    there are just to many cons going compared to the last ten years and it's basiclly hard to schedule one and each to avoid conflict.
    And there you have it. Many times I've had to choose which con got my bucks and my attendance because of a schedule coinflict. This just seems to be one of those times. Make your choice and enjoy whichever event you choose to attend. I highly doubt CGE will shift dates at this point, so make the best of it for this year and perhaps this will be taken into consideration next year.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Make your choice and enjoy whichever event you choose to attend.
    The choice is yours...

Choose Wisely....

He chose.... Poorly.....

#vbender

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Still, SDCC do announce the next year's dates immediately after the current show finishes, so everyone does have plenty of time to prepare.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually I am happy it is in conflict with the San Diego Comic Con. Now when I go to this convention in Vegas I am more likely to meet people who have video game collecting as their number 1 hobby. Tell me what is the point in going to San Diego in all honesty. The truth of the matter is that the movie industry has taken control of this convention. You are much more likely to run into an Actor, director or producer who is trying to pimp out their new movie than you are likely to run into an actual comic artist. The CGE convetion is nothing but old shool programmers for old school systems. The CGE is basically what a covention should be. The San Diego Con is basically is exploitation of the consumer at it's finest.
    Last edited by megamaniaman; 02-03-2007 at 08:21 PM.
    yep yep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm actually going to Vegas August 4-7 for another convention for my job. It's always the first week in August, which always tied in nicely with CGE when it was in Vegas.

I remember going to CGE 2K3 for the weekend, Friday through Sunday, at the Plaza and then going over to the Bellagio for other convention Sunday through Tuesday. I had an awesome time in Vegas at both. I may have to extend my trip this year to a full week to catch both. Maybe I'll work in a side-trip to SoCal and visit a buddy of mine in Malibu. He works for a company called "Wet Design" and he helped build the Bellagio Fountains. He still goes to Vegas every now and then to re-program the fountain heads. At CGE 2K3 he let a buddy of mine up into the control tower and start a show, even though it wasn't the scheduled time for one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would come...but I am alone, from Italy...is there someone who will take this like an holiday, from Europe?

Every year I tell myself that I must come...
    search engine @

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Me. You're right though, there generally haven't been many non-Americans at all at CGE. This will make it the fifth now this year for me. Getting the time off is fine, it's the air fare that's the killer. It's gone up about 40% since I first travelled back in 2002. With the exchange rate currently though, it does ease the pain slightly when spending US dollars!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the suspense is killing me! can't wait to hear which hotel it's going to be at. (and the discounts)

this has always been my summer vacation, and can't wait for it to come this year!

Rick

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My guess is it will be at something like Circus Circus, The Riviera, or Bally's...something further down towards downtown, but not quite there...

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Heh, wish I could go, but I really don't have anyone to hang with anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic