Thread: Are the DP guide book prices out of date or just wrong?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Are the DP guide book prices out of date or just wrong?

Iīm looking at SNES games and comparing prices to eBay and other places and it seems like the guide prices are either way too high (by more than $10) or way too low by $10 (in the case of Super Mario RPG among others). I bought this book to help me, but other than a list of game and a description, the SNES section just seems wrong more than itīs right.

Also some words are bolded and others arenīt in some of the game titles in the system descriptions.

Did I get a bad print or a bad version of the book.

The other sections seem good but the SNES is odd... maybe SNES is hitting a peak or something. Iīm at odds.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure the print of the book you got is bad because we all know that ebay prices are absolutely static.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know they arenīt static, which is why I ask if I have an older edition... but thanks for the sarcastic response....it was very helpful.... opps looks like I gave it back.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Prices in the book are usually on the low side most of the time. This is a collector's guide, not a seller's guide. Or in other words, if you find the game for less than the price stated, you've got a good deal; the price is what you should expect to pay for it on average.

eBay is usually not a very good place to base prices on, but it is a ballpark idea of what something is worth...

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrench View Post
    Iīm looking at SNES games and comparing prices to eBay and other places and it seems like the guide prices are either way too high (by more than $10) or way too low by $10 (in the case of Super Mario RPG among others). I bought this book to help me, but other than a list of game and a description, the SNES section just seems wrong more than itīs right.

Also some words are bolded and others arenīt in some of the game titles in the system descriptions.

Did I get a bad print or a bad version of the book.

The other sections seem good but the SNES is odd... maybe SNES is hitting a peak or something. Iīm at odds.
    It depends on the game. Some of the Zelda and Mario games tend to go for a lot more money on Ebay than they are listed for in the book, particularly the more recent games in those series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The fact is that the classic guide is now pushing 5 years old (2002) and the blue guide is already 3 (2004). They're great resources, but they are definitely in need of a hardcopy update. I'm actually surprised some other group hasn't swooped in to fill this lack-of-updating void already.

That said, the online guide is terrific for looking up pretty much anything video game-wise. It's just that some of us are a little old-fashioned and like to have a (relatively) up-to-date paper book to flip our dirty paws through.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Look at it as if the DP Guide prices are wholesale prices while eBay and store prices are retail

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrench View Post
    Iīm looking at SNES games and comparing prices to eBay and other places and it seems like the guide prices are either way too high (by more than $10) or way too low by $10 (in the case of Super Mario RPG among others).
    I found Super Mario RPG at a thrift store for $3, and gave it to a friend for free. Therefore, based on my experience, the average price is $1.50. :P

Seriously though, it's a fairly common game and eBay is the only place your going to find prices upwards of $30 for it. I know it's just one example, but it's the only one you gave so I'm going to pick on it.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I always look at the price guides as a good baseline as to the game's worth in collector circles, such as these here forums.

In no way, shape, or form, would I ever consider DP Guides to be an indicator of a title's retail(or ebay) worth, as it's always going higher in retail since the seller is trying to maximize profit.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.