Thread: What surround sound does the PS2 output?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What surround sound does the PS2 output?

I just hooked up my new side speakers for full 7.1 surround, but then realized that I don't even know if the PS2 does 7.1, and I use it for my DVDs (least till I get my PS3 that won't melt!)

Everything I find online just says "Digital Surround", doesn't say what revision.

Anyone know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

A majority of games on the PS2 use Dolby Pro Logic II (if they use anything). Also, make sure to set the game up for DPLII in the audio options and on your surround sound system.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I don't play games on it (maybe Katamari now and then), just use it for a DVD player. Any idea what it supports in that category?

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Anything you throw at it it will play as long as you have the optical cable. DTS EX, ES, and 5.1 EX all play fine on the DVD front. On the video side though, it's a weak player.

For games, there are a few games that support the short lived DTS Interactive. Sled Storm is one of them. The vast majority are Pro Logic II (99%).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So the PS2 does actually have 5.1 and doesn't just convert the stereo signal to simulate it? (prologic)

I'm just wondering as my audio setup is full 7.1, and I'd like to make sure I'm taking advantage of it!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    So the PS2 does actually have 5.1 and doesn't just convert the stereo signal to simulate it? (prologic)

I'm just wondering as my audio setup is full 7.1, and I'd like to make sure I'm taking advantage of it!
    Prologic II is Matrixed 5.1 much like Pro logic was matrixed 4 channel. Only Dolby Digital is 5.1 discrete. Even Dobly Digital EX uses matrixed audio in the two rechannels to extracted the 6th.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

As long as you have the optical cable, you'll get the proper signals. Nothing actually offers 7.1 yet that I've seen, so taking full advantage of it without some extra proccesing from the reciever is impossible as of now.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post

Ok, you are saying that your audio setup is full 7.1, but to actually be honest about it, the only way it is "TRUE" 7.1, is if it can handle 7.1 LPCM, and there are only a few Receivers on planet Earth that can do that. There are lots and lots of receivers that are 7.1, but that is a big difference between handling "true" 7.1 LPCM and just doing some type of matrixed 7.1 sound off of 2 channel or better sources.

Having said all of that, if you can "layer" Dolby Pro-Logix IIx over any source, then you will at least get some really good sound from all 7 speakers, although it won't be discrete. But here is the key thing, it has to be Dolby Pro-Logic IIx, not just regular Dolby Pro Logic II. With Dolby Pro Logic IIx, you can make everything 7.1. It will even take regular 2 channel stereo sound from something like a Sega Genesis and make it play out of all 7 speakers, and it sounds damn good actually. Unfortunately, there are actually many receivers out there with DPLIIx that won't let you "layer" it over everything. Ideally, you would like to layer it over every source. Whether it be 2 channel stereo or Dolby Digital 5.1 discrete. I have a Panasonic XR-55, and it will allow me to layer DPLIIx over everything. It can layer it over 2 channel stereo and even 5.1 or 6.1 discrete sound. This is ideal, because you can get the true discrete sound for your main 5 or 6 speakers, but you can also get the matrixed sound for the back speakers as well, so you get the best of both worlds. (at least until 7.1 LPCM becomes more standardized).

The Holy Grail in audio however is 7.1 LPCM. The only video game I know of that offers it right now is Resistance: Fall of Man for the Playstation 3. Lair for PS3 will also offer 7.1 LPCM. You might be wondering, what the fuck is 7.1 LPCM anyways? Well LPCM means "lossless" PCM sound. Which means you are getting the absolute pure sound, with zero compression, in other words, "lossless". There is no loss in quality, because there is zero compression, and it's a digital signal so there is no loss in the translation either. All 7.1 channels are discrete. Currently no movies offer "true" 7.1 lossless sound, although a new movie called "Descent" on Blu Ray claims to offer true 7.1 LPCM, but it's actually 6.1 LPCM with the rear channels playing the same thing out of each speaker. Still, that is currently the ultimate. The problem is, very few receivers on this planet can actually handle 7.1 LPCM.

Also, if you ever go for the holy grail and try to get a receiver that can truly hanlde 7.1 LPCM, make sure that the receiver can also layer DPLIIx over 5.1 and 6.1 PCM. Because there are a few 7.1 LPCM recievers that actually are unable to layer DPLIIx over 5.1 or 6.1 PCM. This means if you are watching a Blu Ray movie with incredible 5.1 lossless PCM sound, your back two speakers won't be doing anything at all, cause it won't allow you to layer DPIIx on top of the 5.1 lossless PCM signal. Most people with 7.1 setups are irritated when they have 2 of the 7 speakers not doing anything.

Lossless PCM is the future of sound. You might have heard or Dolby Digital TrueHD or DTS MA-HD, these are the new lossless formats from Dolby and DTS respectively, but they are basically two different names for lossless PCM sound. I'm very interested myself in upgrading to a new receiver to take advantage of the Playstation 3's ability for lossless PCM sound for both games and movies, as well as HD-DVD's ability for lossless PCM sound, but I can't find a receiver that does 4 major things for the right price. The 4 major things to consider are:

1. Ability to handle 7.1 LPCM sound (normally over HDMI)
    2. Ability to layer DPLIIx over all souces, especially 5.1 and 6.1 PCM sound
    3. No bass management issues with PCM sound (long story, check AVS forums for details on that drama)
    4. Priced under 600 snappers out the door
    Last edited by Anthony1; 01-28-2007 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yikes, that's a lot of info. I don't have one of those special receivers, just a ~$600 Onkyo.

I am using the optical cable too, yes.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

I have an Onkyo SR-674. It passes LPCM over the HDMI connection. I have played Resistance Fall of Man with it. I fyou crank the volume up it's pretty wild...