Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Default Games for autistic children

I have a godson/cousin going on six years old who is autistic. He's very smart but suffers from the usual characteristics of autism; he doesn't talk much or express himself vocally, he seems to be in his own world, he doesn't respond to his name most of the time and has below average speech skills are some of the ones that stand out. I would like to get some videogames for both us to hopefully play together or even for him to play alone.

What I'm looking for is something that isn't too easy/childish such as Pico, V-Tech or the elmo's letter/number games for N64 because he already knows the alphabet, numbers and those games are too easy/simple for him. Anything somewhat more advanced than that, but something a seven year old could handle is what I want. Of course I am looking for games that are appropriate as I don't want to expose him to any more violence than he would see on Nickelodeon or in a Disney movie. Anything from 2600 to Wii is good and I'll even look into getting systems I don't have or imports if it sounds like it would be suitable.

Does anyone have some suggestions? I'd also appreciate advice from those familiar with autism more than others who just "know about it". But all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

When I was younger I really enjoyed Aladdin and Ren and Stimpy: Stimpy's Invention for Genesis. Also, he might like Katamari just to roll the balls around (like I do).

EDIT: Advice removed. I don't want people to make posts about it and get offtopic.
    Last edited by chicnstu; 01-28-2007 at 06:58 PM.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by chicnstu View Post
    When I was younger I really enjoyed Aladdin and Ren and Stimpy: Stimpy's Invention for Genesis. Also, he might like Katamari just to roll the balls around (like I do).

EDIT: Advice removed. I don't want people to make posts about it and get offtopic.
    I had thought about Aladdin, but I have never played Stimpy's Invasion. I'll have to look into that one. And Katamari is a wonderful suggestion I hadn't considered either. Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

This is a really tricky topic... It all really depends on the kid, and how bad the autism is.

I have a friend with an autistic 10 year old. Whenever he'd come over to my house, The first game he grabbed outta my pile was Jet Grind Radio. I guess the cartoonishness appealeed to him. As he played he's sit there with the biggest grin on his face, bobbing his head along to the music. It took him a while to learn the playing mechanics. But he reeally didn't care. He just enjoyed watching it.

When he first started coming over, we used to ask him what he wanted to play. Now we don't even ask. He just says 'Jet Set' over and over again. (I always called it Jet Set Radio.... Not 'grind' - I hated that name)

When I got my original Xbox, we immediately thought he'd love JSRF. He didn't... He wanted to play the original.

What sucks though, is we've yet to find another game he enjoys like JSR. My advice - take him to a store, and let him look at boxes. Even if it takes a long time - just let him find something he will enjoy.
    Last edited by diskoboy; 01-28-2007 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic Mega Collection!

It has a variety of gameplay styles, including puyo puyo (...ughhh or known as d...d...dr. robotniks mean bean machine *shutters* ).

Also, just run out and get all of the Mario Party games for GameCube. Those have to be a sure fire hit. Who doesn't love dodging penquins or stacking ice cream?
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

I too have an autistic relative, my nephew to be exact. He is now 17 years old, but back several years ago in the N64 era, he LOVED to watch mario 64... His autism would not allow him to play or talk about the game, but he had this calming effect whenever he was watching it. Oddly, his favorite thing to do was to sit there and watch the television preview guide scroll by... Not the preview guide that most of us have today, but the one with nothing but a black background and a constant list of show names that would scroll 3 at a time then stop for about 5 seconds...

Anyways, back on topic, how do you think he would do with the original SMB on NES?

PSN: SouthRox

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    My advice - take him to a store, and let him look at boxes. Even if it takes a long time - just let him find something he will enjoy.
    Boxes? Surely this is not one of those inconceivably rare situations in which an appropriate choice can be made by looking at boxes, is it?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My brother is autistic and heīs always loved Mario Bros. (1-3... he smoked the Japan import of lost levels like it was nothing), Super Mario World, and the Donkey Kong Country series. Itīs worth a try for the kid.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both of my sons are autistic -- my oldest son, who is 8, is more severely affected. He is non-verbal but extremely smart. He absolutely loves two particular cartridges for the Atari 2600 -- "Air Sea Battle" & "Carnival" -- and he's really really good at "Air Sea Battle". He really discovered those particular games around three years ago and they are still his favorites. He also loves "Berzerk" (Atari 2600) and "Frenzy" (Colecovision)

My youngest son who is 6 years old and mildly affected isn't a big fan of the games from the 80's much at all. He enjoys both of the Super Smash Bros. games, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, the Justice League games for GBA, Batman: Vengeance, and Donkey Kong 64.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Boxes? Surely this is not one of those inconceivably rare situations in which an appropriate choice can be made by looking at boxes, is it?
    Of course - But the parent has all the power in this situation. They don't have to buy the game. And since the parent will most likely be a few feet away, the parent can tell them that the game may not be good for them.

Not to mention you can always 'steer' the child towards a console like Nintendo, who is, for the most parts, very family friendly.

As I said - this is a tricky situation...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I don't have any direct advice but I just wanted to add that threads like this one really tug at my heart. I love seeing this site being used to help people who really need help.

I know very little about autism, but aren't austic children often drawn toward music? I'm wondering if there aren't some music-based games that the kid might enjoy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by Mattiekrome View Post
    Anyways, back on topic, how do you think he would do with the original SMB on NES?
    I know he could figure it out right away, though I'm not sure how good at the actual game he would be. Most of the "educational" V-tech and Pico stuff he has been exposed to doesn't have much of any skill involved. I think it all depends on whether or not he actuall likes the game; if it captivates him I could see him getting good at it, but I could also see him not liking it and not playing well either.

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    What sucks though, is we've yet to find another game he enjoys like JSR. My advice - take him to a store, and let him look at boxes. Even if it takes a long time - just let him find something he will enjoy.
    I wish I had a local store that sold classics I could possibly take him to. When he gets older I will probably take him to the DP store. I like your suggestion though, so I will make sure to let him take a look at my collection next time he is over, or maybe show him some magazines/websites. (I know the most recent VG Collector has the box-art from all NES games in it)

Quote Originally Posted by willowmoon93 View Post
    Both of my sons are autistic -- my oldest son, who is 8, is more severely affected. He is non-verbal but extremely smart. He absolutely loves two particular cartridges for the Atari 2600 -- "Air Sea Battle" & "Carnival" -- and he's really really good at "Air Sea Battle". He really discovered those particular games around three years ago and they are still his favorites. He also loves "Berzerk" (Atari 2600) and "Frenzy" (Colecovision)

My youngest son who is 6 years old and mildly affected isn't a big fan of the games from the 80's much at all. He enjoys both of the Super Smash Bros. games, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, the Justice League games for GBA, Batman: Vengeance, and Donkey Kong 64.

Hope this helps.
    Yes it does help. It definitely supports the previous notion that I will have to experiment to find something that he enjoys.

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    I don't have any direct advice but I just wanted to add that threads like this one really tug at my heart. I love seeing this site being used to help people who really need help.

I know very little about autism, but aren't austic children often drawn toward music? I'm wondering if there aren't some music-based games that the kid might enjoy.
    I love seeing this site help me and others, too.

I know he likes music as he sings and dances along to video's he has. I have thought about finding a music game for him, but had a hard time coming up with a game with musical mechanics that would be easy enough for him to not be turned off by frustration or difficulty. Most of the music games I have are pretty tough, even for me on the easier difficulty levels. I have heard that mario DDR is easy, so maybe I should look into that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Thanks everyone for all the responses, I'm very grateful to have received this much input so far. I've decided I want to start with early and simple 2600 stuff, and I will probably expose him to more from there. I've got plently of 2600 games to start and more will be cheap to come by. I also got him his own Activision 20-in-1 unit this past weekend so he can keep that for himself when I am not around. Eventually I will get him his own console with carts, controllers and accessories he can change himself; it will most likely be whatever of mine he takes a liking to the most.

Everyone please keep the suggestions coming as I already have some of the games people have suggest and have them set in a pile to try out with him in the upcoming weekends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know too much about autism, just vague details because I have a cousin with autism but I haven't seen her in many years and even when I did it was only once or twice a year, so I'm not 100% what kind of stimulation he'd benefit from. Like you said he is smart so he doesn't need educaational games (or "edutainment" as it's called these days). But I agree with earlier suggestions for Mario Bros and Sonic. I'd go with 8-bit and 16-bit side-scrolling platformers, they start off easy but get challenging, they have great background music and bright graphics that are entrancing. And I'd also go with the earlier suggestion for Katamari Damacy. I was also thinking puzzle games like Tetris, Columns, Dr Mario, Puyo Pop, etc. The mechanics are easy to grasp but the levels get faster so it starts easy but won't stay so easy that he'll be bored, plus the background music and different colors and shapes can be stimulating.

I was also thinking Electroplankton for the DS. It's not really a game, but it is a highly interactive and interesting music simulator that lets you manipulate sounds with the touch screen and microphone. It goes again with the whole music therapy idea for autism, plus the shapes and colors of the electroplankton "characters" are stimulating. That's something he may enjoy as well.

I always feel good inside when I connect with a child (which is the main reason I'm becoming a teacher) so I'm glad for you that you are finding a way to share this hobby with your godson/cousin.

PS - this is my first time back on DP in MONTHS! I missed the forums! Glad to be back!
    ~Gaz~

"Video games develop hand-eye coordination and turn children into better human beings!" ~ Professor Membrane on Invader ZIM"

Animal Crossing Info:
    Town: Odnetnin
    Name: Gaz
    Code: 0730-7620-4738
    Fruits: Pears, Peaches
    Gates Open: Random

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

How about maybe some GameCube games? I'm thinking maybe something like Super Monkey Ball 2, or Wave Race: Blue Storm. Assuming he can handle the 3-D environments, these might be a good choice for non-violent all around fun.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

I dont know that much about Autism, but i think Super Mario Sunshine might be a good choice. My little brother likes it and so do I, so I think that anybody would like it. Also, try Wario Ware games because they are awesome to play and its very simple to get the hang of it. Mario Party's 5,6, or 7 are great too because of the minigames and such. I dont have any Autistic friends, but all these games should be good choices.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    I have a godson/cousin going on six years old who is autistic. He's very smart but suffers from the usual characteristics of autism; he doesn't talk much or express himself vocally, he seems to be in his own world, he doesn't respond to his name most of the time and has below average speech skills are some of the ones that stand out. I would like to get some videogames for both us to hopefully play together or even for him to play alone.

What I'm looking for is something that isn't too easy/childish such as Pico, V-Tech or the elmo's letter/number games for N64 because he already knows the alphabet, numbers and those games are too easy/simple for him. Anything somewhat more advanced than that, but something a seven year old could handle is what I want. Of course I am looking for games that are appropriate as I don't want to expose him to any more violence than he would see on Nickelodeon or in a Disney movie. Anything from 2600 to Wii is good and I'll even look into getting systems I don't have or imports if it sounds like it would be suitable.

Does anyone have some suggestions? I'd also appreciate advice from those familiar with autism more than others who just "know about it". But all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

I cannot say to be familar with autism, however, I am very familiar with videogames and I understand what kind of games that you're looking for via your description.

I know that you said "no V-Tech," however, have you considered the V.Flash?

http://www.vtechkids.com/tvLearning_flash.cfm

The V.Flash is much more advanced than the V.Smile, and is geared to a much older age group and is more 3D capabile than V-Techs decidedly 16-bit-esque past efforts.

Also, there's the new V-Tech Nitro Vision, which is designed more like a computer than a console, featuring a mouse and keyboard.

http://www.vflashtv.com/

Besides that, I don't think you could really go wrong with a SNES and Super Mario World, or a Sega Genesis and Sonic the Hedgehog.
    Last edited by Zadoc; 02-11-2007 at 02:37 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for posting this question. My 4 year old son is autistic too. He's high functioning, maybe Asperger's.

I'm leaning towards going with some old school games for him. I just got Castle of Illusion w/Mickey Mouse (Genesis). I'm going to try it out with him during vacation week. It's basically a very basic Mario Bros. Being autistic he's drawn to some subtle things that I would never notice, so to keep him on track I need simple for now. He plays Racer X and Dig Dug on one of those plug-in joysticks with built-in roms.

RC

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Long-time lurker. I had to register for this one..

I am seeing some very good ideas here, good going.

I have to state that I, myself, am very High-function Autistic. But I feel the need to point out that Asperger's is an entirely different disorder. The only similarity is the sympthoms. It's like saying the flu is a cold because both cause fevers.

Personally, I have always loves Puggsy, Bubsy Bobcat, Wiz'N'Liz, and Sonic The Hedgehog 2 on Genesis. All are simple with increasing challenge. Have FANTASTIC music, and play fun.

Yes, it's true that Autistic people enjoy music. I am, on a personal level, fascinated by the disorder I grew up with.

Mattiekrome, have your nephew's parents taken him to have his memory tested? I used to do that, myself because I have an Eidetic Memory and I'd sit and watch, looking for typos.

My name is Auken and I am 25 years old. Hello, everybody.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Auken no Kimi View Post
    Long-time lurker. I had to register for this one..

I am seeing some very good ideas here, good going.

I have to state that I, myself, am very High-function Autistic. But I feel the need to point out that Asperger's is an entirely different disorder. The only similarity is the sympthoms. It's like saying the flu is a cold because both cause fevers.

Personally, I have always loves Puggsy, Bubsy Bobcat, Wiz'N'Liz, and Sonic The Hedgehog 2 on Genesis. All are simple with increasing challenge. Have FANTASTIC music, and play fun.

Yes, it's true that Autistic people enjoy music. I am, on a personal level, fascinated by the disorder I grew up with.

Mattiekrome, have your nephew's parents taken him to have his memory tested? I used to do that, myself because I have an Eidetic Memory and I'd sit and watch, looking for typos.

My name is Auken and I am 25 years old. Hello, everybody.
    I understand the differences. My son was initially diagnosed as having Aspergers but that was not by a specialist. Once we got him to a specialist they were hesitant to label him that way since he was so young. They gave him the general PDDNOS diagnosis for now. I'm now a little unsure about the Aspergers. Time will tell.

Back on topic.

Auken no Kimi,

What games do you think you would like if you were turning 5 next month? My son picks up the most obscure details in everything and fixates on it.

thanks again

RC