Thread: Why I think the Gp2x is the best handheld for emus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why I think the Gp2x is the best handheld for emus

The Gp2x is right now my favorite console. Second place is my PSP that I like a lot too.

Sometimes im amazed as how little talk there is about the Gp2x here on Dp...Heres why I think the gp2x is the best handheld for emus:

- It has a very good SNES emulator (Dr Pocketsnes 3, came out last week) which is fast and supports transparencies

- It has a great Genesis emulator: Picodrive. This emu uses the gp2x`s second core (unused in most other apps) to decode the audio, so you can actually underclock your gp2x to save batteries and still have fullspeed emulation

- Atari Lynx Emulator: the lynx emu is great, it supports everygame Ive tried on it

- DrMd has great master system and game gear emulation

- Theres a fullspeed neogeo emulator too

- Tg16 emulation is very good and some CD games can be emulated 100% with some overclocking

And last but most importantly: You need to see a gp2x in real life to realize how clear and blur-free the screen really is. I had my PSP before my gp2x and saw nothing wrong with my psp screen....until I bought my gp2x....

Now everytime I play a fast game (like sonic 1) on psp, I see a huge blurring and ghosting effect....it looks 10x clearer on gp2x

So...why theres not much talk about the gp2x here? Its a great console!

Are there any other gp2x fans around on DP?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm..

I have been working up to it. I bought a Zodiac 2, and then found a Gizmondo for $50. Was thinking the GP2x would be next but there selling for a bit more than I am willing to pay for it. Good to hear that the emulation is coming along. How do you feel the emulation on the GP2x compares to it on the PSP?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    I have been working up to it. I bought a Zodiac 2, and then found a Gizmondo for $50. Was thinking the GP2x would be next but there selling for a bit more than I am willing to pay for it. Good to hear that the emulation is coming along. How do you feel the emulation on the GP2x compares to it on the PSP?
    Well it might not be fair to compare a 150 US system (gp2x) to a $250 US system (PSP)

But...im glad to say that emulation is great on gp2x

Comparison between emulators for gp2x and psp:

SNES: IŽd say that the snes emu for gp2x (dr pocketsnes v4) is slightly faster than the snes emu for PSP. It has been improving fast

Genesis: Im glad to say that the genesis smu for gp2x is really perfect! (In fast you can underclock the gp2x from 200 to 150 mhz and still play the games fullspeed.

I would highly suggest you to get a gp2x. The screen is CRYSTAL CLEAR and its nice not having to worry about cracking programs because the gp2x is totally open to all developers.

Good luck!

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I absolutely love my GP2X. I'm amazed more people here don't have one, as it's essentially perfect for classic gaming enthusiasts. I'm amazed at how fast the GP2X community progresses... it seems like there's something new every day, and every week there's a huge breakthrough (like the new CPS2 emulator which is damn-near perfect, Picodrive's preliminary SegaCD emulation, or the beginnings of OpenGL support with egoboo2x).

Finally getting full-speed SNES emulation will hopefully be a milestone for the GP2X, as it always seemed like people lost interest when they were told it wasn't perfect yet.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll tell you why I don't have a GP2x.. it's because I have a GP32. I sort of got burned by getting the GP32 and very shortly afterward, the GP2X came out.

But that's the deal with these smaller manufacturers.. they can bring out new stuff on a dime

So anyway yeah... I'm a little gun shy about snagging another on. If it was $50 maybe.. but $150 is just past that point of a must-have for something that really just only does emulators. I am really digging the PSP ever since it got busted open like a watermelon, not just with it's emus but especially with it's PSP games like Salamander Pocket, Parodius Pocket, and Twinbee Pocket (each of which has like 5 games each).

I'm keeping an eye on the GP2x scene though...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by suppafly View Post
    Well it might not be fair to compare a 150 US system (gp2x) to a $250 US system (PSP)

But...im glad to say that emulation is great on gp2x

Comparison between emulators for gp2x and psp:

SNES: IŽd say that the snes emu for gp2x (dr pocketsnes v4) is slightly faster than the snes emu for PSP. It has been improving fast

Genesis: Im glad to say that the genesis smu for gp2x is really perfect! (In fast you can underclock the gp2x from 200 to 150 mhz and still play the games fullspeed.

I would highly suggest you to get a gp2x. The screen is CRYSTAL CLEAR and its nice not having to worry about cracking programs because the gp2x is totally open to all developers.

Good luck!
    I was hoping to hear something a little more in-depth...you say it isn't fair to compare the two, and then you go on to say that GP2X emulation is superior and "perfect."

Why isn't it fair to compare the two? What can the PSP do that the GP2X can't?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye View Post
    What can the PSP do that the GP2X can't?
    Play PSP games I'm assuming, or is there an emulator for that too?

I think the reason you don't see a lot of talk about the GP2X here is the same reason you don't see a lot of emulation talk in general - we're all too into playing on the real thing that we've got connected at home that emulation, while fun for a bit, never really feels like something worth talking about.

(Personally, I play PSP games on my PSP about 98% of the time, with maybe the other 2% a 'quick fix' like Space Invaders or Adventure or something. Certainly not nearly long enough for me to justify $150 on without the option to 'collect' anything for it as it's not like I can go into Wal-mart to check out GP2X game prices).
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is the GP2x a true Handheld or made for Emulating Systems

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well... I haven't tried the GP2x... but that is because I seem to be really busy with the PSP nowadays. It has great emulation programs, some are perfect emulations. You can play PSP isos (if that is your bag) and you can play 95% of the old PS1 games you once loved. I think that alone makes it one of the better systems.

I will say this though: I'm intereseted in seeing a GP2X in person though to see the screen quality. Are there any specs on the two screens that we can compare?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay... I was curious.

GP2X Display
    3.5" TFT LCD, 320*240 pixels(QVGA)
    Hardware : 16.7 Million Colors
    Software : 260,000 Colors
    TV-Out (with special accessory)

PSP
    Display: 4.3 inch, 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD, 480 x 272 pixel (16.77 million colors), Max. 200 cd/m2 (with brightness control)

Not seeing much of a difference....

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here's a Youtube link to a lot of great (and not so great) GP2X vids.

CLICK ME

I always forget about this handheld...I really should get one.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

how much of a pain in the ass is it to install emus / roms, etc?

can you recommend a reputable dealer of gp2x units in north america?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    I'll tell you why I don't have a GP2x.. it's because I have a GP32. I sort of got burned by getting the GP32 and very shortly afterward, the GP2X came out.
    I feel the same way. I was an early adopter of the GP32 and was excited about picking up some of the games. Very few came out and after a while I felt like I was at the mercy of just a few emu developers. When the newer (Zodiac and GP2X) came out it seems like a lot of people jumped ship and I was left with someone that few people were still seriously working on. That's the main reason I haven't picked up a GP2X -- I'm afraid with what happens once the next big thing comes along and everyone gives up developing for it, too.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by courtesi96 View Post
    how much of a pain in the ass is it to install emus / roms, etc?
    Pretty much the same thing you do with PSP. You download the files which are usually "pre-folderized", then you move that folder to the /game directory of your SD card (the media of choice for GP2X).

I had one traded in about 2 months ago, mint in the box (the customer wanted a PSP instead) and decided to keep it for myself. The screen really DOES seem brighter and faster-to-update as suppafly says. Emulation-wise, it's pretty comparable to what you see on the PSP. Some emulated systems are a little better, some a little worse, some just underway.

I'm particularly fond of the Genesis, Atari 2600, MAME and Lynx emulators (forget that crappy Lynx screen - look at how these games were really MEANT to be seen). It's also got a really nice Neo-Geo emulator and now a competent CPS-2 emulator which I've been told does a nearly perfect Mars Matrix and Gigawing, so I'll be on that soon enough.

The best advantage I've personally experienced is the TV-OUT option. Plug the cable into your TV inputs and use the system on a big screen. Most of the emulators support this, it's a really nice feature if you want an emulation system that you can just pop onto any TV set.

I'm no expert with the system by any means but it's easy to love!

OH one last thing - if you're planning on buying one of these be SURE you've got or go out and buy nickel cadmium batteries and a charger. You don't want to use AA batteries, this thing sucks them dry in under 2 hours! Ni-cads last about 8 hours from my personal experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just wanted to mention that sega-cd is now emulated on the GP2X, while its still being worked on (picodrive 1.14) only sonic cd and snatcher, both Lunars among a handful of others are supported.. but its very promising! now if they could get popful mail working id be a happy man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it possible to play movies on the GP2x?

I spend about 1/3 of my PSP playing games, 1/3 watching videos, and 1/3 on the internet.

I can give up access to the internet, but I couldn't give up watching videos. Having TV shows in your pocket is surprisingly convenient!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I can give up access to the internet, but I couldn't give up watching videos. Having TV shows in your pocket is surprisingly convenient!
    I've been thinking about some of the comments I've read here (not this thread in particular, but these forums in general) regarding a console's ability to do stuff other than gaming. Most of the time it's negative, as there is some perceived notion (real or imagined) that the machine in question is costing us more because of it.

Personally I love the fact that my PSP and 360 are able to do something other than simply play video games. Would I spend an extra $200 on it (i.e. PS3)? Nope. But I'm comfortable with what I've spent on what I *do* own and I love tinkering around with everything. Whether it's connecting my Zen Touch to my 360 or ripping Looney Tunes cartoons for viewing on my PSP, the more functionality a machine has the better I perceive it.

I'm kinda hijacking, but I just wanted to say that, for the most part, I welcome extra functionality with my consoles. There's a limit, but I think it's a step in the right direction.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dairugger View Post
    just wanted to mention that sega-cd is now emulated on the GP2X, while its still being worked on (picodrive 1.14) only sonic cd and snatcher, both Lunars among a handful of others are supported.. but its very promising! now if they could get popful mail working id be a happy man.
    Finally there's one emulator the GP2X has that the PSP doesn't. Makes me almost want to buy one now. Hopefully this emu will get ported over to the PSP soon though. SegaCD is one of my favorite systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I was suprised to see that the Dallas location of Micro Center has the GP2X in their newly created videogame department. Now that there's a fairly local place to pick one up, its a much bigger temptation for me. The only thing holding me back is that I haven't had much luck with emulators. I haven't even gotten MacMAME to work so far. If Emus weren't a pain to get working, I'd probably pop for a GP2X.