Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft is retarded.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone created a poll of DP users with how many have had to return their systems but I'm too lazy to search for it.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I remember that one... the whole "OMG WHITE LIENZ@@!!!11!!!" thread.

33% problem rate is nothing to sneeze at, though I'm sure once you're locked into MS's warranty replacements, the problems are probably magnified...I've had friends send back like new consoles, only to get ones back that look like they've been dragged behind trucks.

Anyways, sorry to pollute your thread...just reminded me of my current woes.
    great people to do business with - D-Lite, max330mega, The Collector, Jimmy Yakapucci

neo-geo.com - vwlunatic, BIG BEAR, neogeofl, pixeljunkie, japangamesnow.com, OmegaSaber

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sensei View Post
    So I have to return my 360 back to them for replacement because it keeps throwing 3 red lights.

I follow the included instructions on how to pack it and such.

Step 7 says, "Close the box and seal it with the seal." which is included.
    Step 8 "Place the return label directly on top of the previous shipping label."

Blah blah.

There are about 6" worth of pictures in the middle of the page for all the steps. At the very bottom of the page a full 6 inches from the rest of the steps it has a place for me to put my name, service request number, and serial number and to put that in the box.

Now how the hell am I supposed to do that since I just sealed the damn thing per your instructions?

Jesus what a bunch of retards.
    IGN has an article about this too. Made about the same time.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone created a poll of DP users with how many have had to return their systems but I'm too lazy to search for it.
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94153

that's the link.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WOW... I'll play Fable on PC, thanks.....

Roughly one-third have been returned... with a margin of those multiple times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FAN8228 View Post
    service plans are a scam. It's how the stores make money. Trust me, I used to work at 2 of those big retailers and they would try and get you to push service plans like they were going out of style.
    Of course retailers push service plans, they're like 80% margin for the stores.

That being said, they DO work if your product breaks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    Of course retailers push service plans, they're like 80% margin for the stores.

That being said, they DO work if your product breaks
    right. It's still a waste of money. One of the items they try to scam you on is big TV's. I remember when the DLP came out. They would charge around $600 for 3 years. They would try to get the person to buy it by telling them that if the bulb ever burned out they were screwed. Reality is if the bulb burns out, you're screwed for a few days tops, you can buy a bulb yourself and change it yourself, it's pretty simple. It would take them a day or two to get down to your house anyways.

Another "read the fine print" part of service plans was with Automotive audio. "Oh sure, if it stops working, we'll replace it." Not always true. Certain manufacturers were not replaced, instead they were shipped off to be repaired, huge difference from what they tell you. They lie, whether they are on commision or not, to make the sale they lie, plain and simple. In the end, it's not worth dishing out the extra cash for the service plan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never buy into the idea of extended warranties from stores, but with the reputation of the 360, and its price, should I get the warranty?

I plan on picking up both a 360 and a PSP soon, but I'm apprehensive about their reputations. If extended warranties are the way to go for these two systems, which store would be the best to buy from?
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a heads up -

If you plan on buying XBLA arcade games and other downloadable content, a service plan replacement console from a store (and not MS) will make it impossible to get your DLC back, unless you want to purchase it again.

The content is tied to your original S/N and gamertag, and unless it matches with the serial on the new/refurb console MS sends you if one fails, you're out of luck. It's already enough of a pain to get it back (you have to register a new tag, you lose your achievements, they re-issue you the points you've purchased, after lots of yammering back and forth), so if you plan on playing stuff like Lumines and Space Giraffe, there's something to consider.

While I didn't have a *ton* of money tied up in DLC (probably $60-70), it really became one of my favorite features of the console (well, as long as it wasn't Horse Armor BS), though the hoops you have to jump through if something goes awry is no way to treat a paying customer. I would have GLADLY bought these games on disc, were there a feasible way to get them at a similar price (i.e. paying $40 for Geometry Wars...and then a bunch of crappy games to pad the game count isn't it).
    Last edited by dethink; 02-07-2007 at 09:46 AM.
    great people to do business with - D-Lite, max330mega, The Collector, Jimmy Yakapucci

neo-geo.com - vwlunatic, BIG BEAR, neogeofl, pixeljunkie, japangamesnow.com, OmegaSaber

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ARe you sure about that? I thought those games/stats were saved on the hard drive? M$ doesn't have you return that to them.
    DP Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by dethink View Post
    Just a heads up -

If you plan on buying XBLA arcade games and other downloadable content, a service plan replacement console from a store (and not MS) will make it impossible to get your DLC back, unless you want to purchase it again.

The content is tied to your original S/N and gamertag, and unless it matches with the serial on the new/refurb console MS sends you if one fails, you're out of luck. It's already enough of a pain to get it back (you have to register a new tag, you lose your achievements, they re-issue you the points you've purchased, after lots of yammering back and forth), so if you plan on playing stuff like Lumines and Space Giraffe, there's something to consider.

While I didn't have a *ton* of money tied up in DLC (probably $60-70), it really became one of my favorite features of the console (well, as long as it wasn't Horse Armor BS), though the hoops you have to jump through if something goes awry is no way to treat a paying customer. I would have GLADLY bought these games on disc, were there a feasible way to get them at a similar price (i.e. paying $40 for Geometry Wars...and then a bunch of crappy games to pad the game count isn't it).
    Umm NO, they are not tied to the serial number of the system. They are linked only to your gamertag. I had mine replaced and all my games worked like they did before, NEW system, different serial number. I have also taken my gamertag to other systems, downloaded the games on another system, FOR free no less, and played them on that system. As soon as my gamertag wasn't on that 360 the games didn't work.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

to Darth / Silence -

Yes, they are saved on the hard drive.

However, if I take my hard drive that I still have, and attach it to your console, they will only play in demo mode, since the s/n "signature" from the new console that it's attached to doesn't match the one tied to the s/n on my gamertag when I originally purchased the content. At that point, I had to call MS again, and go through the whole "new gamertag/refund points/re-download" deal.

Content is not just tied to your tag, it is also tied to your console's serial number. I've used my HD on other consoles, and while I can sign in to live and it will log things like achievements, playing arcade games reverts them to demo mode.

It's not terribly difficult to get the stuff back, but after the 3rd time, MS gets a bit huffy, and it gets a bit old. PS - I'm NOT trying to turn this into a 360 bashing thread. I liked mine a lot...until I had to have it replaced now a 4th time...
    Last edited by dethink; 02-07-2007 at 11:33 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

the XBLA games will work on a different system only if you are online. If you sign out of xbox live and try to play those same games, it will go into demo mode. Thats why people have been going through all the BS trying to get thier full games back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

re: service plans.

Do you have health insurance? Auto insurance? Same concept. You'll PROBABLY spend more money on the plan than the value you get out of it, but you're protecting yourself from a smaller possibility of losing a greater value.

I pick and choose very carefully what I get service plans on. I've only done a couple (digital camera (heavy travel, crammed in everywhere, expensive) and my laptop (pretty much the same things)). I don't do it often, but I don't discount their potential value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    the XBLA games will work on a different system only if you are online. If you sign out of xbox live and try to play those same games, it will go into demo mode. Thats why people have been going through all the BS trying to get thier full games back.
    Which is why mine always work, I'm always on live. I let mine be like that.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So what are some of the better stores to get plans from?
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had my replacement 360 for a week and it has already died with freeze ups and 3 red lights.

I give the supervisor for xbox hardware shit and tell him I want a new box. He says he'll request one but can't promise it.

Then the diaper head actually has the balls to tell me that I had better pay for an extended warranty so they will continue sending me replacement xboxes.

I told him that instead of sending me a new xbox every week, it would be nice if they designed them not to be pieces of shit.
    DP Feedback

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I told him that instead of sending me a new xbox every week, it would be nice if they designed them not to be pieces of shit.
    Never going to happen.

Got my old-school Neo-Geo CD from 1995 and still fucking works today (went thru many different owners).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FAN8228 View Post
    right. It's still a waste of money. One of the items they try to scam you on is big TV's. I remember when the DLP came out. They would charge around $600 for 3 years. They would try to get the person to buy it by telling them that if the bulb ever burned out they were screwed. Reality is if the bulb burns out, you're screwed for a few days tops, you can buy a bulb yourself and change it yourself, it's pretty simple. It would take them a day or two to get down to your house anyways.

Another "read the fine print" part of service plans was with Automotive audio. "Oh sure, if it stops working, we'll replace it." Not always true. Certain manufacturers were not replaced, instead they were shipped off to be repaired, huge difference from what they tell you. They lie, whether they are on commision or not, to make the sale they lie, plain and simple. In the end, it's not worth dishing out the extra cash for the service plan.
    It sounds like all of the problems that you are describing stem from a company / salesperson that didn't explain the plan to you correctly and not from the plan itself.

I'm a computer tech who does HP/Compaq warranty repairs as well as my company's own extended service plans. Service plans are held by an insurance company and no insurance company like to pay on claims. But that being said, if the covered product breaks down from normal use they do cover parts and labor which would almost always cost more than you paid for the plan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Then the diaper head actually has the balls to tell me that I had better pay for an extended warranty so they will continue sending me replacement xboxes.
    Nice racist comment there