Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the first release you can remember?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thumbs down What's the first release you can remember?

The growth process of a human being is a fascinating thing. We pop out of a warm womb, go wah wah wah, and live months without realizing that we're a different human being than Mom.

I realize some people formed their first memory before commercial video games were around, but many of us grew alongside it. Two infants: one with diapers and a crayon-eating habit, and the other--the controller in its hand.

I don't remember exactly when, but at some point I sort of realized these things were kind of new--different from, say, stuffed animals or library books--and it somehow seemed like they were made for me. Mom and Dad didn't play them. My baby brother couldn't play them. Then one day, I realized a new game had "come out". A game that didn't exist before now did... Clearly, it was made for me.

The game was Super Mario Land... So, what's yours? Let's all date ourselves!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my first console, an NES, in 1989. I was 7 at the time and didn't pay attention to new releases - it seemed like all the NES games in the stores were just there.

I think the first time I actually noticed a new release was in 1990, when Super Mario Bros. 3 came out. The hype was all over the place, but as we all know today, every moment of the game lived up to it.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

my first memory was when the atari 2600 version of pacman was released. I was in the child seat of a carriage holding pacman up to show it off to all the other passer-bys. I even remember my mother telling me to stop showing off. We're talking early 80's here so I don't remember a whole lot. But I think I must have been about 3-4 years old and didn't care that pac-man wasn't arcade perfect and loved the game.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hm.. i would think it would be the SNES. I remember reading about it in the Nintendo magazine over here and i really looked forward to it. I got my NES in 1989, but i cant remember like waiting to a certain date for the game to come out. Like DigitalSpace, the games just were in the stores, i cant remember really waiting for a NES game to be released

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first game that I truly remember having big hype when I was a kid would have to be Metal Gear Solid for the PSone. Its a good ways into me playing video games, but I recall it being the big must have game of the time.
    Looking to buy any Criterion movies that I don't already have.

http://cinemalacrum.blogspot.com/

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

The earliest videogame memory I have is of the Burgertime arcade game and of BC: Quest For Tires on the Colecovision. I was probably aware of Pac-Man and Donkey Kong too, but it didn't strike me as much, probably because I simply wasn't much exposed to arcade and console games till 1983 or so.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Wink

Not sure if this counts, but my first acknowledgements of new games coming into my house was not really when new C64 games were "released" but rather when they came into my house, one way or another

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first is probably Ms. Pacman for the 2600. My father was big on that game. We went to K-mart to get it and a new, pistol style joystick. I couldn't open it till he got home from work, so I stared at the box till I heard him drive in. Then I ran to the back porch and held it on the porch rail when he walked by so he could see it.

ahh, the good old days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

I can still remember playing my first two games on the PC XT: Decathlon (no idea whether this was a port of Activision's Decathlon or something completely different) and Donkey. That's Donkey, as in not at all Donkey Kong. A simple Frogger-type game, only much simpler :-)

Apart from that I remeber starting to buy games magazines in '88, so I guess I started following the new releases from then on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hu

As a lot of people here, I played a long time without caring/knowing about release date. Especially since those release date+info were only available via magazines (before teh intarweb!) and I was young, and poor.

My first videogame experience was Adventures of Lolo on NES. My dad hacked some NASA Nes clone, and it was toaster style (still have it :P), he bought me a real NES much later.

My first memory of anticipating a release was probably for either Zelda: LTTP or Contra 3 for SNES. But it was more of just "being aware" that they were going out around that time.

But I do remember camping for Diablo II. 10hours!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I remember seeing the Simon's Quest commercial and instantly wanting it. I was 5 around that time and I think I got it that Christmas, or possibly sooner. I also remember when Double Dragon and the original TMNT game came out, me and my brother would sneak into our older brothers room to take them and play in my room, which sometimes didn't end too well on our end. I also remember going to a store with my Mom to get Legend of Zelda for my sister, but that ones extremely blurry.
    Last edited by exit; 02-01-2007 at 11:35 AM.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I do remember seeing a catalog with Gran Prix(2600) in it and knowing it wasn't out. And I begged for it. I was 3-4 at the time. I learned to read early.

I also remember always wanting Spy Hunter and Bump 'N Jump on the 2600 as well.

I started following releases closely with the NES, and have ever since.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

I'm almost 27 now, but still have vivid memories of trying buy Mario 2 upon release. My good friend who lived down the street actually had a dad who played video games (which I was and still am totally jealous of). We tried for almost three weeks to find a copy of Mario 2 to no avail. It seemed like Nintendo was promoting shortages. Sound familiar?

I remember going to Palmer Video and my buddy's dad asking the owner if he would take $100 for their rental copy. The guy refused it and he offered $125. The owner explained that his two copies rented out for the next two months made the $125 seem like nothing. We understood and left (since there weren't any copies to rent anyway!). I do know that I bought a copy eventually but I really don't remember where or when. I guess the memory of NOT getting it is much stronger. Funny how that is.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IIRC it was Legend of Zelda

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember in 1990 [or 1991?], the very first Sonic was coming out here in NZ. I wanted it soooo badly, but my folks wouldn't get it for me.

Oh, sad memories.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by agbulls View Post
    I'm almost 27 now, but still have vivid memories of trying buy Mario 2 upon release. My good friend who lived down the street actually had a dad who played video games (which I was and still am totally jealous of). We tried for almost three weeks to find a copy of Mario 2 to no avail. It seemed like Nintendo was promoting shortages. Sound familiar?

I remember going to Palmer Video and my buddy's dad asking the owner if he would take $100 for their rental copy. The guy refused it and he offered $125. The owner explained that his two copies rented out for the next two months made the $125 seem like nothing. We understood and left (since there weren't any copies to rent anyway!). I do know that I bought a copy eventually but I really don't remember where or when. I guess the memory of NOT getting it is much stronger. Funny how that is.
    wow thats funny because I remember waiting in front of a K-Mart or something like that early in the morning with my mother not knowing why we were there and running to get a SMB2. I had no idea that it was hard to find when it was released, but it all makes sense now. My mother and I also did the same thing with SMB3, but I knew why we went to the store that day. (yes my mother plays videogames and has some rare ones too.)

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Space Invaders 2600

That was pretty damned exciting back in the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Technically the first new/different video game I remember coming out was a color version Pong unit. I'm not sure what specific model it was, perhaps one of the Coleco Telstar's. I wasn't aware of it's existence until I happened upon it in a store one day. I do remember being fairly impressed seeing all those vibrant colors. This was, of coarse, before I'd bore witness to an Atari 2600. Then I was extremely impressed. So, actually, the first game that I knew was on the way and greatly anticipated getting my hands on was Space Invaders for the 2600. Sadly there was a huge rush for the game and too little of a supply during that x-mass season and I ended up having to wait for about another month until I finally had it in my possession. I couldn't say how many times that cart got used over the years but it's the only one in my extensive collection that seems to have died from use. Or at least I assume anyway. One day it just stopped working. Now I have several copies just in case.
    The world has moved on and left me behind. Therefore I choose to retreat into the past.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i never remember buying new games when i was a kid. i always had a used nes till like 93 when i got a used genesis. or maybe it was 94. anyway i read mags so i knew new games we're coming out.

the first release i remember actually beggining my dad to buy me was Duke Nukem 3d for the PC. yep. loved that game. the other that comes to mind was Grand Theft Auto for hte PC.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neuropolitique View Post
    My first is probably Ms. Pacman for the 2600. My father was big on that game. We went to K-mart to get it and a new, pistol style joystick. I couldn't open it till he got home from work, so I stared at the box till I heard him drive in. Then I ran to the back porch and held it on the porch rail when he walked by so he could see it.

ahh, the good old days.
    Hey, that's odd, I was going to mention Ms. Pacman, too. It was the only new game I ever got for my 2600. We bought our system used and it came with a passel of games, then about a year later I managed to talk my mom into getting me Ms. Pacman when I saw it for sale somewhere. Then that was it for the next six years until I got a Gameboy.

...word is bondage...