Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the first release you can remember?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

The first game I can remember coming out is the Legend of Zelda for the NES, I saw the commercial of the guy in the room freaking out of the monsters in the game. When I saw the commercial I was about 8 or 9 I thought the game was going to be retarded because of the commercial, I was so wrong.(see below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUxnF48RKVU

I did not see this one at all back then but it is pretty funny.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HoY3O8WYi0
    Last edited by Howie6925; 02-03-2007 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Anyone else remember the Mario Bros 3 commercial? A bunch of people chanting Mario and it gradually zoomed out, showing all the people forming Mario's face.

Man was that the shit back then.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I'm actually writing out a lot of this stuff just so I won't remember it in the future. My first game was Super Mario Brothers when I was about three, and I remember it pretty clearly for an early early memory. Don't remember how well I did (I doubt very well), but I was addicted to that game for weeks. Didn't beat it until years later though. ^_^;;

Then SMB3 came out a few years later... and that's why I'm here and not saving the planet or anything. My superpowers are now eating Pringles instead of flying, like they started out as. Meh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Another vote for Space Invaders for the 2600. If I remember correctly, it was the first coin-op conversion for a home console, and it was a pretty big deal at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The only release I got was Street Fighter 2 Turbo (SNES)

I was at the Mall before the Captron opened, I was at Kay-Bees waiting for it to open to get it

Even before Months before the release..I was keep look at the release date at Kay-Bees..the best $75 ever

..and Super Street Fighter 2 (SNES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    Anyone else remember the Mario Bros 3 commercial? A bunch of people chanting Mario and it gradually zoomed out, showing all the people forming Mario's face.

Man was that the shit back then.

This was the first game I ever got excited for the release for, and one of the few video game commercials I remember seeing from the 8 bit days. It's funny, whenever I see commercials for stuff like the SMS or Atari XE on Youtube, it just blows me away, because I know I never saw them then.

Insert Coin (Level 0) eric nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first release I can remember anticipating was Rampage for the 7800. I had the 2600 version, which was pretty awful. So I was looking forward to a more faithful port of the arcade game, which at the time was my favorite.

Later on I got an NES, which had possibly the best home version. Then I looked forward to releases all the time, like Super Mario Brothers 3, Mega Man 3, and TMNT: The Arcade Game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I remember the premier of the NES - "Now you're playing with power!"

The first game I remember "first coming out" is SMB 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First new release I remember getting:
    Double Dragon II nes (still one of my top 5 favorite games all time)

First new release I wanted specificially:
    Sonic 2 when it came out for the genesis

First game I remember playing on any system:
    Tarzan for the atari

Insert Coin (Level 0) omega_squid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    osquid

Talking Sonic The Hedgehog 2

For the Genesis. That and Street Fighter 2. My little bro and some other friends got to play them at our daycare once we got 'old' enough to not have to sleep during naptime, lol. That was about 96-99, and I was like 5-8 Years old. Good times...

First Release I really remember was the N64 and especially the Dreamcast. Lots of kids in my 4th Grade class talked about wanting both. Me? I was clueless, but I did get a GameBoy Color - Kiwi - with my own $69 and also got Pokemon Color Red. Played that GBC non stop, and still have it to this day, in great shape!
    Last edited by omega_squid; 02-03-2007 at 10:11 PM.
    Like free games? Then visit my site - www.osquid.com

DP Feedback | eBay Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I was too late for the Odyssey 1.... But I remember the early years of the 2600.

The first game I remember seeing an advertisement for was Haunted House for the VCS.

The fist video game I ever played was the arcade version of Space Invaders when I was 4. I remeber it like it was a few hours ago, to be honest... Surfside Pavilion. Myrtle Beach, SC. I barely could see over the control panel.
    Last edited by diskoboy; 02-03-2007 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Earilerest video game memory hmmmmm.

Say probably around 81 or 82 going to timout to play some pac-man.

Those were the days, long lines on some machines while hearing a lot of beeps and bloops.

As for my frist consoles that would be the the atari 2600.

Still i didn't get one untile afther the so called crash of the early 80's.

Pretty much when i needed games.. i could get them from TRU &KayBeeToys.

They had plenty of nos to choose from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I remember all my classmates being excited for the release of 2600 Asteroids and subsequently disappointed that the game's graphics were so radically different from the arcade machine. Bear in mind this was 6th grade in 1981 so nobody in my circles really understood the difference between raster and vector display systems. I myself did not have an Atari at the time so it was hard for me to appreciate the zeitgiest.

Six months later I got a 2600 and so the first release I remember getting really hyped up for was 2600 Pac-Man. I wasn't even really that much of a Pac-fan at the time but the Atari marketing apparatus made it sound like this was going to be bigger than the Second Coming and, like all 12-year-olds, I readily believed everything the TV told me and implored my mom day and night with "gotta have...gotta have".

The resultant bad reviews didn't deter me a bit. In fact I have a pretty clear memory of reading through some videogame-tips guide paperback in an old Grand Central department store and coming across an appendix which contained a pre-release review of Pac-Man statingm in effect, that it sucked. "That's impossible," I thought, "It's Pac-Man in your house. It's got to be good."

My family wasn't making a lot of money back then and in retrospect I'm glad my mother never caved in and paid full-price for the Pac. I eventually picked one up in the middle of the 1984 crash for $2 in the bargain bin at Walgreens so it all worked out.
    Last edited by Pantechnicon; 02-04-2007 at 09:04 AM.

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

I'm 22 and I remember seeing the commercial for Super Mario 3. Man, I feel old.....

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Super Mario Bros. 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong View Post
    Space Invaders 2600

That was pretty damned exciting back in the day.
    This was my exact same reply. Sears had different Atari sounds from.... (crap, Air-Sea Battle, Outlaw, Combat... COMBAT! That was it) Combat, and there was this *HUGE* line, it even had older adults in it and store workers around to keep the group orderly. This was something big. I wasn't able to play, Dad had too much shopping to do, but he let us (my brother and I) watch for a while.
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first games I looked forward to before release were Super Mario Bros 2 and Zelda 2. Both of these were released the same holiday season and both were (intentionally) out of stock everywhere. My Toys R Us would get, literally, three copies in a shipment. It as absurd.

One day my mom went to Kmart without me and I told her to look for either of the games. She came home empty handed. She said there was some new game called "Adventure of Link" or something, but not the games I was looking for. I was dragging her back to that store within minutes. Luckily there were still a couple copies on the shelf or there would have been some serious temper tantrums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Sanriostar View Post
    This was my exact same reply. Sears had different Atari sounds from.... (crap, Air-Sea Battle, Outlaw, Combat... COMBAT! That was it) Combat, and there was this *HUGE* line, it even had older adults in it and store workers around to keep the group orderly. This was something big. I wasn't able to play, Dad had too much shopping to do, but he let us (my brother and I) watch for a while.

My parents would do the same thing. Whenever they went shopping, I'd head to sears or one of the department stores (when most of them still had full electronics sections) and sit on the Atari kiosks. The one in Sears was awesome because it had a switch on the kiosk that would change the games. I always remember playing Seaquest, Venture, or Yar's Revenge while my folks shopped.

That came to an end after Adam Walsh got kidnapped. My parents wouldn't even let me go to the bathroom in a mall, by myself, after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My best friend had parents who bought him everything that came out. I distinctly remember spending several days waiting on his porch for the UPS man to bring a Sega Genesis. I remember playing Altered Beast after he got it. Same thing happened for the SNES, and I remember playing SML and renting first Chessmaster (because everything else was gone from the rental store) and then F-zero.

The first release I paid attention to myself was the Gamecube. At that point I was working PT at EB so it became second nature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first release I remember was reading about that caused me to make a purchase was for an Apple II game called Wizardry. I made me buy my first computer, the Apple II.