Thread: "true" 1080p games coming soon for Xbox 360

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley View Post
    I'm sorry man, but that is just flat wrong. Firstly, 720p is the current standard in terms of HDTV programming, both in gaming and television. It is anything but "defunct". And I don't know where you're shopping, but the large majority of sub-$2,000 HDTVs at large electronics retailers such as Best Buy are NOT 1080p compatible (go to your local store, or even the Best Buy website to confirm this). To a videophile, a sub-$2,000 television might consititute "cheap", but that's a popular price point for the average consumer who is looking to step into the world of HDTV. Future HDTVs are likely to more and more support 1080p, but as of right now, 720p HDTVs are anything but on "clearance" as a whole, and undoubtedly enjoy a much larger installed user base than 1080p-combatible sets.
    I do undesrstand your point and I appreciate that I went a little far but...I do shop at Best Buy and such. I also know that many of the sets for sale at such stores are often not the current models (especially at the end of the year). The retailers do not bring in the newest models until they have eliminated their inventory, or until they are being produced in sufficient quantity or at an acceptable cost. If you look at upcomoing sets from most manufacturers you will see 720p disappearing using retail stores as a guide is faulty.

When looking at technology you have to be ahead of the cureve. 720p is the most popular, certainly, and I think 1080i is technically the standard, though plenty of HDTV is braodcast in 720p. 1080p isn't much more than 1080i, none of which requires 720p.

720p is popular and common, but it's on the way out. These are essentially starter TV's, for the non-videophiles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1080i is inferior to 720p anyway

I'll stick with 720p...which is the best my TV does. It's 26" LCD anyway, so you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p IF you could go to 1080p anyway. I suspect 1080i will be a dead format in the next 2 years or so. If ya want the breakdown of how it works, check out this thread:
    http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...read.id=938503
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    720p is popular and common, but it's on the way out. These are essentially starter TV's, for the non-videophiles.
    I have to wonder is the popularity/user base of 720p HDTVs and programming has already reached that critical point where it will preclude 1080p programming from taking off in the near future.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    1080i is inferior to 720p anyway

I'll stick with 720p...which is the best my TV does. It's 26" LCD anyway, so you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p IF you could go to 1080p anyway. I suspect 1080i will be a dead format in the next 2 years or so. If ya want the breakdown of how it works, check out this thread:
    http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...read.id=938503
    That guy's posts are great. However, I'm surprised after all the harping sony's done about HDMI, resolutions, and "deep color" that they haven't kicked him from the board and deleted his posts.

The chart is excellent too...so even though I'm "stuck" with my 11 month old "obsolete" panasonic 26" 720p display, it makes no difference whatsoever, due to the distance of my couch.
    great people to do business with - D-Lite, max330mega, The Collector, Jimmy Yakapucci

neo-geo.com - vwlunatic, BIG BEAR, neogeofl, pixeljunkie, japangamesnow.com, OmegaSaber

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, assuming his info is accurate and it DOES appear to be quite so, basically all the video fanatics that think TV X is the best thing and they can tell the difference etc etc are completely full of shit, which is what I thought in the first place

Essentially unless you have a GIGANTIC TV, there is no difference between 720p and 1080p at all, though there is one between 420p and 720p (still not THAT huge tho). And 1080i is an inferior standard that causes problems with "artifacting". Guess that's why my Xbox looks better on 720p than 1080i

I also like his views on HDMI cables....as most of you may know, there is NO difference between the signal from a $15 HDMI cable and a $100 Monster HDMI cable. None. And for the record, once you get past a certain level of quality in regular cables (A/V, component, etc) there's no difference either. It's more what other stuff you feed them through (switchboxes, etc) than the actual cables. Monster cables are the biggest ripoff ever. Just buy regular decent cables with gold plated connectors and everything will look fine!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't believe some of you guys are saying 720p is out. 720p is not even "in" as far as I can see. The majority of the people out there are still using SDTV's, so how could 720p be "out" when most people don't even own an HDTV yet? 1080p has got atleast 5 years before 50% of the population own one. I don't even think 50% of people own a 720p capable HDTV yet.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1080p is incredibly overrated. I've said this before, but everybody knows that I'm one of the resident videophiles on these boards, and in the very beginning, I thought that 1080p was the Holy Grail of video. It's not. Not even close. Very few people will be able to enjoy the true value of 1080p. There is a mathmatical equation in which the distance that you are sitting from your display determines the maximum resolution a human being is able to perceive. When it comes to the argument between 1080p and 720p, the bottom line is that you either need a ginormous 1080p screen, or you need to sit VERY,VERY CLOSE to a 1080p TV.

For example, if you have a 50 inch 1080p display and are sitting more than 7 feet from the screen, you have basically wasted the $600 difference you paid to get 1080p, because a distance greater than 7 or 8 feet away makes the resolution increase a moot point. The human eye can not resolve the resolution improvement at that distance. If you were to sit say 4 to 6 feet from the 50 inch 1080p, you would notice the improvement in a big way. But how many people sit that freaking close to a 50 inch TV? Very, very, very few. Most people sit 9 feet or more from a 50 inch TV, thus 1080p has no advantage for them. I sit about 10 or 11 feet away from my 51 inch tv, and at one point I was going to upgrade that particular display to a 1080p display, but when I found out about this mathmatical forumla, and how close I would have to sit for my eyes to actually resolve that resolution I said the hell with it.

1080p only matters for people that have absolutely huge screens (I'm talking 65 inches and up), or for people that sit extremely close to their display. Also, with a 65 inch set, you also have to sit very close up. So in all reality, if you don't sit super close to your TV, then 1080p doesn't really matter to much. For the projector set, that have screens that are 8 to 10 feet wide, 1080p is a huge deal, but 1080p in the projector world is still quite expensive. Right now, the only relatively affordable (key word relatively) 1080p projectors are the LCD based projectors, and I'm not a huge fan of LCD. I prefer DLP when it comes to front projection, and the 1080p DLP front projectors are way the hell out of my price range. Maybe in 2 or 3 years they will get into my price range, but not right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    *gobble gobble gobble*
    Thanks for already stating what's been said in a longer and more obtuse form! *looks for a poet's shirt* 1080p is however...not at all overrated. It's just that it's not that different unless you fit within a certain category..and this may change in the future...depending on how companies make TVs

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    Thanks for already stating what's been said in a longer and more obtuse form! *looks for a poet's shirt* 1080p is however...not at all overrated. It's just that it's not that different unless you fit within a certain category..and this may change in the future...depending on how companies make TVs

Let me guess, you bought a 1080p TV and feel the need to defend your purchase.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

I love 1080p debates.

One of what I believe to be the overlooked elements of the argument is the material produced for 1080p. I think many of the HD-DVD's and Blu-Ray moves are being transferred satisfactorily enough to make 1080p as effective as it could be. Many Over-the-air HDTV shows (CSI-Miami, Smallville, Supernatural) seem to me to be superior to all those next generation DVD's and they are only broadcast in 720p or 1080i.

I think this helps to blur what 1080p is capable of. It's common knowledge that many DVD's released on the last couple of years have dramatically better picture quality then DVD's released before that; presumably because superior and more affordable transfer processes are available. 1080p has a strong future that we have yet to see...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me guess, you bought a 1080p TV and feel the need to defend your purchase.

Nope. I have a 720p LCD TV that can "upscale" to 1080i.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Content is really what is going to decide this resolution war, and right now, 720p content is so overwhelmingly ahead it seems as though the writing is on the wall, regardless of the benefits/lack-thereof that 1080p brings to the table.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Garry Shandling's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gary Shandling

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are many more HDTV's on Saturn and Uranus that will accept 1080p via component.
    'Uranus' smells, ah ha, ha ha.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Wilford Brimley's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*shakes head*

Son, you better eat your oatmeal. It's the right thing to do and the tasty way to do it.