Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maybe Metal Gear isn't coming to the 360 afterall

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Maybe Metal Gear isn't coming to the 360 afterall

It's hard to imagine Metal Gear Solid 4 coming to the 360 anytime soon with Sony doing the Metal Gear Solid movie. I can't imagine them doing the movie and it not being an exclusive PS3 game for longer than 6 months. Imagine if you will that Microsoft had a major movie studio, and they agreed to do a huge Splinter Cell movie, don't you think they would demand exclusivity for at least a year on the game if they are making a movie for it?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6165595...ewstop;title;5

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hopefully it will arrive on the 360 within a year of the release. I won't be buying a PS3 for a very long time....if EVER.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Microsoft doesn't have a movie production studio and Sony does. Could be a business decision based solely on the prospect of making money. If Konami takes MGS4 and breaks exclusive with Sony do you think they would drop their investment in the movie to punish Konami? I don't think so. It would hurt them a hell of a lot more than it would hurt Konami. Simply put, no matter what platform a game is on, as long as it is avaliable on theirs [Sony] in some way there is a benefit beyond profits from the film. It would be moronic to pull on out on that investment... however, we are talking about Sony here. I apologize. You see, I've errored in assuming that the execs at Sony are rational human beings. They probably would pull out and have a celebrity laced penthouse party in Manhattan to celebrate their "brilliant" business decision.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Microsoft doesn't have a movie production studio and Sony does. Could be a business decision based solely on the prospect of making money. If Konami takes MGS4 and breaks exclusive with Sony do you think they would drop their investment in the movie to punish Konami? I don't think so. It would hurt them a hell of a lot more than it would hurt Konami. Simply put, no matter what platform a game is on, as long as it is avaliable on theirs [Sony] in some way there is a benefit beyond profits from the film. It would be moronic to pull on out on that investment... however, we are talking about Sony here. I apologize. You see, I've errored in assuming that the execs at Sony are rational human beings. They probably would pull out and have a celebrity laced penthouse party in Manhattan to celebrate their "brilliant" business decision.

You are assuming that Sony Pictures made the deal to do the Metal Gear movie without requiring at least a 6 month timed exclusivity for MGS4 beforehand. I don't think that's possible. When Sony Pictures decided to do the movie, I'm sure they said, "Ok, we will do the movie IF.....". The IF part was at the very least a timed exclusive for 6 months or longer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    You are assuming that Sony Pictures made the deal to do the Metal Gear movie without requiring at least a 6 month timed exclusivity for MGS4 beforehand. I don't think that's possible. When Sony Pictures decided to do the movie, I'm sure they said, "Ok, we will do the movie IF.....". The IF part was at the very least a timed exclusive for 6 months or longer.
    That makes no sense to me. It would seem to me that Konami has more of a say in this than Sony ever could. If I was Kojima, and Sony said to me, "We'll make the movie if...." then I would say, "I'm sure Paramount would have no problem releasing it."

I'm sure any studio would be happy to take Sony's place in dealing with a franchise that's practically a series of movies already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

If Konami did decide to release MGS4 for the 360, what exactly could Sony do? Decide NOT to release the movie? Decide to make it half assed?

I'd like to believe Sony isnt stupid enough to do either as it would waste money already invested in the project from both companies as well as open them up to a potentialy large lawsuit from Konami for damage to the MGS franchise.

Sony pictures is different then the branch that makes the games. I'd find it hard to see why they would care one flip about a video game being released for any other system. Remember, they are there to make movies, not sell sixaxis controlers.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe Metal Gear isn't coming to the 360 afterall
    ? That was only based on rumor wasnt it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    ? That was only based on rumor wasnt it?
    He never said it was certainly coming to 360. Speculation has led to believe that Konami will put MGS4 on Xbox 360 so they can make more of a profit on it.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joker T View Post
    He never said it was certainly coming to 360. Speculation has led to believe that Konami will put MGS4 on Xbox 360 so they can make more of a profit on it.
    Ye, i know about those rumors, but he said "maybe its not comming to 360 afterall", which i understood that it was 100% sure that it was comming to 360, but maybe it wasnt comming afterall because of the movie. It was the "afterall" that made me wonder =)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think that's how it works. Sony's different branches run independently. At one point, Sony Online Entertainment was going to port one of their games to Xbox.

Also, didn't Sony pictures make Spider-Man? There didn't seem to be any issues releasing the Spider-Man movie games on multiple systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

MGS4 is coming to the 360...period. If Konami wants to turn a profit on this game, it will have to be ported to the 360 eventually. I can predict the future BTW.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    MGS4 is coming to the 360...period. If Konami wants to turn a profit on this game, it will have to be ported to the 360 eventually. I can predict the future BTW.
    Oh mighty oracle, will there be rain the 24th?

Seriously tho, I dont know.. this game will sell tons of copies anyway. Sure, porting to 360 will probly sell more copies, but that goes for every game, releasing it on multiplatform will sell more copies. If MGS4 is really well optimized for the CELL CPU i would think making a port would be a real bitch. Unless they have made some kinda "ground model" that can easaly run on both the CELL CPU and the PowerPC CPU without any serious work, then work/optimize it further from there.

I'm sure we'll see a MGS game for both 360 and Wii (or maybe even the Phantom lol ), but MGS4? I hardly doubt that.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze View Post
    If Konami did decide to release MGS4 for the 360, what exactly could Sony do? Decide NOT to release the movie? Decide to make it half assed?

I'd like to believe Sony isnt stupid enough to do either as it would waste money already invested in the project from both companies as well as open them up to a potentialy large lawsuit from Konami for damage to the MGS franchise.

Sony pictures is different then the branch that makes the games. I'd find it hard to see why they would care one flip about a video game being released for any other system. Remember, they are there to make movies, not sell sixaxis controlers.
    SCEA knows that MGS4 is "THE" reason to own a PS3. If Sony Pictures was considering doing a big time Metal Gear movie, SCEA would be well aware of it. Sony Computer Entertainment of both America and Japan would be very concerned about a Metal Gear movie coming out, and the game being on the Xbox 360. It's very likely that the 360 version of Metal Gear won't be ready for day and date release with the 360 version, so a 3 month or 6 month timed exclusivity is virtually a given, but one must also consider when the Metal Gear movie would actually be released in theaters. Just imagine if MGS4 comes out on the PS3 this November, and then in Spring/Summer 2008 just when the movie is about to hit theaters, the Xbox 360 version comes out? What great timing that would be! The movie would hit theaters with tons of buzz and hype, from Sony Pictures no less, and then guess what, MGS4 is a brand new release on the 360. I'm sorry, but I just can't imagine Sony allowing that situation to happen.

Of course this is all pure speculation on my part, but I think it's relatively logical speculation.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think Sony has as much control over MGS4 as you think they do. Their stake is high, absolutly, but control, not so much.

I can imagine Hideo Kojima, cosplaying as "The Soup Nazi" of Sinfield fame (what else would a JP game designer cosplay as besides american sitcom bit characters... the reality in my head is a weird one lemme tell ya), walking into the Sony Pictures Boardroom, slamming a soup laddle on the long hardwood table and yelling, "No Metal Gear Solid for you!!! Come back when you release PS4 and pull your collective minds from your rears! You go... NOW!" The daydream ends when Kojima turns tward me and says, "For you, how about... Snatcher and Policenauts on Wii." Followed by a wink.

WTF is wrong with me?

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought Kojima said he will not make MGS4 for the 360

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    MGS4 is coming to the 360...period. If Konami wants to turn a profit on this game, it will have to be ported to the 360 eventually
    A look at the top-selling games of 2006 shows that console-exclusive titles made up 35% of the top 100. Konami could very easily turn a nice profit with a PS3-exclusive MGS4. Next-gen.biz has an article up right now with some analysis of last year's numbers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

MGS4 is probably the one reason I'd consider a PS3.

I could easily see Sony paying a good chunk of change for it to be exclusive - at least at launch.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I checked a interview with a Konami guy earlier today and the interviewer asks if MSG 4 will come for 360. He just smiles and says no comment. Is that a yes or a no? hehe

Interview can be seen here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...e=wmv&id=17436

EDIT: Checked it again, what does he say at 1:56? Sounds like "We got MGS 4 comming.. well, later.. a.. for just exc... (??).. eh, for Playstation 3". Or is he about to say "360 and PS3" ?
    Last edited by jajaja; 03-03-2007 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    I checked a interview with a Konami guy earlier today and the interviewer asks if MSG 4 will come for 360. He just smiles and says no comment. Is that a yes or a no? hehe

Interview can be seen here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...e=wmv&id=17436

EDIT: Checked it again, what does he say at 1:56? Sounds like "We got MGS 4 comming.. well, later.. a.. for just exc... (??).. eh, for Playstation 3". Or is he about to say "360 and PS3" ?
    If konami gives in and ports it to the 360 i'll get that system then.

If not i'll be bum out having to shell out a lot of $ for a PS3.

Still it would be in konami best interest... to give MGS4 a chance on the 360.

Beside having the game on more then one system, would mean more money for konami.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    I thought Kojima said he will not make MGS4 for the 360
    He doesn't have to make it, look at Resident Evil 4.