Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Someone finally said it: Factor 5 on the Wii...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    I'm sure there will be some programing trickery that will make the Wii games look a bit better, but it's obvious to me right now that the Wii is nowhere even close to the level of the original Xbox, much less slightly more powerful than it. Again, I will bring up Doom 3 or Chronicles of Riddick for Xbox 1. If you put either of those games on the Nintendo Wii they would look absolutely horrid, yet the Wii is supposedly slighlty more powerful than the Xbox 1. Yeah, right.
    You might want to eat those words now. Most of the Wii launch software was either horribly rushed (Far Cry), didn't need "realistic" graphics (Trauma Center), was a tech demo (Wii Sports), or was originally a GameCube game (Zelda). There was also a great deal of licensed shovelware that would not have been programmed to ultimate graphical spectacle levels anyway. Publishers wanted to get as much product out as possible to capitalize on the predicted success of the system (anyone who thought the Wii wasn't going to be an enormous success needs to get out more). Unless you can see into the future, the above claim is totally ridiculous.

In the Wii's defense, ExciteTruck looks at least like an XBox game, and Zelda is one of the best looking GameCube games. One was hastily programmed, the other was for another system. If Doom 3 or Chronicles of Riddick were ported to the Wii with absolute care, from scratch, they would look as good as or better than the XBox versions. I think the benefit would be seen most in frame rate.

A majority of multiplatform GC games looked just a hair below parity with their XBox counterparts. The lack of online play was the real difference. Resident Evil 4 may be the best looking game of the last generation, and it was a GameCube game. On the flip side, God of War was a spectacular looking game, on inferior hardware. It all depends on the developer.

The Wii will continue to do well because, whether you'd like to admit it or not, the wand works and really has changed gaming in a way on par with the move from 2D to 3D. It will command a large marketshare, and in turn, developers will pour more resources into developing for it. The Wii will never touch the a/v capabilites of the competition, but its a sure bet that there are better visuals coming in the future.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien View Post
    Publishers wanted to get as much product out as possible to capitalize on the predicted success of the system (anyone who thought the Wii wasn't going to be an enormous success needs to get out more). Unless you can see into the future, the above claim is totally ridiculous.

The Wii will continue to do well because, whether you'd like to admit it or not, the wand works and really has changed gaming in a way on par with the move from 2D to 3D. It will command a large marketshare, and in turn, developers will pour more resources into developing for it. The Wii will never touch the a/v capabilites of the competition, but its a sure bet that there are better visuals coming in the future.
    True what you're saying, like UBIsoft spit out all those titles just to fill up with launch games to sell. The Wii is indeed a huge success, so far that is. Right now i'm not really going to put much time and efford into speculate what the future brings, but if i first have to say something about i would think the interesst will fade.

I have a feeling that the Wiimote will more of a normal thing and the "wow" factor will be gone. I think people in general will prefer the old style controller in the long run. I cant really imagine that a game that gets released in 2 years from for the Wii will get a "omg, this is crazy!" like reaction like Gears of War got for its gfx, just because of how the controller work in that specific game. On the gfx side, the games will definitly improve, but since the Wii is about as powerful as a Xbox the gfx and visuals have been seen before. Sure, some games will give a "wow" factor for its gfx, but i doubt it will give the same "wow" factor as i.e Gears of War gave.

I can be smashingly wrong or i can be 100% right. Its way to early to tell anyway, time will give us the answer in the end
    Last edited by jajaja; 02-12-2007 at 06:38 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Doom 3 or Chronicles of Riddick were ported to the Wii with absolute care, from scratch, they would look as good as or better than the XBox versions. I think the benefit would be seen most in frame rate.

Step 1: Put the bong down on the table

Step 2: Slowly back away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You're the one that isn't using any logic by judging the Wii by its poor launch lineup of GameCube titles and rushed junk. Games like Resident Evil 4 already looked like Xbox titles, and the Wii runs at a higher clock speed than the GC with a lot more ram. It can easily surpass the Xbox with it's graphical abilities if properly used.

You should get into buying calendars and picture books anyways since you just want to look at pretty graphics.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    You're the one that isn't using any logic by judging the Wii by its poor launch lineup of GameCube titles and rushed junk. Games like Resident Evil 4 already looked like Xbox titles, and the Wii runs at a higher clock speed than the GC with a lot more ram. It can easily surpass the Xbox with it's graphical abilities if properly used.

You should get into buying calendars and picture books anyways since you just want to look at pretty graphics.

Red Steel wasn't a GameCube port. Ubi Soft said in a number of interviews that they were going to do all they can to tap as much power in the Wii as possible. Have you played Red Steel? The bottom line for me is that I seriously doubt we are going to see some huge improvement in Wii graphics all of a sudden. Sure, the games will look much better than Spongebob and Happy Feet, but I don't think we are going to be seeing any dramatic improvements. I've heard repeatedly that the Wii has a bit more power than the Xbox 1, and that would suggest that it would have games that look far beyond the Xbox 1 from a graphical standpoint, and if that were to actually happen, then the qualtiy of the graphics would have to improve by such a huge margin from where they are now, and I just don't think that's going to happen. In other words, I'm not going to get my hopes up, just to have them dashed. Everybody should just accept the Wii graphics as they are, or they are in for alot of dissapointments in the future. I'm sure certain games are going to look quite a bit better, like Mario Galaxy and Metroid, but for the most part, what you see is what you get. Look at Conker's Bad Fur day on Xbox 1. Do you really think the Wii could do graphics like that? That's a Xbox 1 game, and the Wii simply couldn't handle graphics like that. I'm not saying the Wii's graphics aren't going to improve a bit, but it's been billed as better than Xbox 1, and it couldn't even do a Xbox 1 game like Conker's Bad Fur Day, so let's just drop the Xbox 1 comparisons shall we?

I can't wait to be proved totally wrong. That would be absolutely wonderfull, so I hope I'm eating a huge bowl of crow very soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, the Wii can handle games like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Red Steel wasn't a GameCube port. Ubi Soft said in a number of interviews that they were going to do all they can to tap as much power in the Wii as possible. Have you played Red Steel?
    Again, saying that something like Red Steel is indicative of the true power of the Wii is ridiculous. I agree that Red Steel is an ugly game, but I would also add that most of the resources used in its development were targeted on developing and refining a set of tools for programming the remote. Red Steel is a tech demo in much the same way that Wii Sports is. We really haven't seen a true Wii game yet (graphically) outside of ExciteTruck, which... what was that?... oh, yeah... looks like an XBox game.

Look at Conker's Bad Fur day on Xbox 1. Do you really think the Wii could do graphics like that? That's a Xbox 1 game, and the Wii simply couldn't handle graphics like that. I'm not saying the Wii's graphics aren't going to improve a bit, but it's been billed as better than Xbox 1, and it couldn't even do a Xbox 1 game like Conker's Bad Fur Day, so let's just drop the Xbox 1 comparisons shall we?
    The Wii could absolutely do Conkers Bad Fur Day. The GameCube could have done it as well, minus the bump mapping, but that is available on the Wii. Conker, like all of the games you are comparing the Wii launch titles to, was a mid to late generation game programmed specifically for the XBox hardware. When a game is coded from the ground up to suit a particular hardware, extra care is taken to maximize what can be done with the hardware at the time. The two Metroid Prime games are about on par with Halo 2 graphically, and look much better than the original Halo. They are GameCube games. You are making some wild assertions that aren't even moderately reasonable. Even Capcom said Resident Evil 4 couldn't be done convincingly on the PS2, but it was. Where there is a will, there's a way. It comes down to much more than specs.

There is no denying that Nintendo may have skimped a bit too much in the graphical arena, but to compare what is essentially Fantavision & Kessen to Doom 3 is fuzzy logic. The only way we will see spectacular graphics on the Wii is if it continues to sell, and sell well.

If I remember correctly, you are a PS3 supporter who is quite vocal about the fact that you can't count the PS3 out because the next gen war has only just begun. That is a true statement. It is too soon to know. But, saying that the Wii can't even approach the XBox graphically when it is a souped-up version of a prior hardware that was just shy of on par with the XBox, more or less, is just as uninformed and hasty. Tool - 10,000 Days - Track 5.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looking at the hardware specs of the Wii i have no doubt that it will be able to produce Xbox gfx, but its yet to be proven

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can't wait to be proved totally wrong. That would be absolutely wonderfull, so I hope I'm eating a huge bowl of crow very soon.
    When are you going to run for office? It's cute how you rant on and on one side of an argument and then try and put in an ass cover like this right at the end and think it saves you later when your shit will inevitably be called.

More than enough evidence has been provided for now that you should be satisfied... at least any reasonable person would be. The argument is pretty much over at this point. No one can bring anything new to the table. Everyone is at the mercy of the developers to bring forth the truth.

As jajaja said, just look at the specs and you will see its obviously possible, it just hasnt been done. It's only a matter of time.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Cool Someone else had to have seen this.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Silljo View Post
    When are you going to run for office?
    ... should have been:

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Silljo should have View Post
    When are you going to run for president of SCEA

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the focus of this discussion is wrong. You focus on the graphical abilities and potential of the Wii instead of asking why developers don't make use of the full potential of the system. This was what the original big surprise expressed by Eggebrecht was all about, wasn't it?

Let's assume all of you who argue that the GC can produce graphics equal to the Xbox or even a bit better are correct. (I'm not convinced about it but let's assume it for a moment.) I argue it doesn't matter because it doesn't make sense for developers to put lots of effort into squeezing the last graphical juice out of the Wii.

Wii graphics will look always two classes worse than the ones on the 360 and PS3. Does it really matter if the Wii looks a bit worse compared to its competitors (PS2 standard) or a bit better (Xbox standard)? The Wii is a system build around the control scheme disregarding top notch processing power and graphics. This is what developers will focus on, and this is where the success or failure of the Wii will be decided. This is my answer to Eggebrechts surprise why developers neglect the grahical potential of the system and even fall behind GC graphics.

I'm very mistrustful that the Wii will succeed. Despite casual and hardcore gamers complaining that current games are too long and too complicated, in the end you have better possibilities on the two top notch systems. Everything which can be done on the Wii can be done on the two top notch systems from lenghth to gameplay with much better graphics, that means the only (and ONLY) aspect which sets the Wii apart is the control scheme....and so far what I read about games this won't fly to have penetrating mass appeal. The Wii will succeed as what it was intended -- as an offering to a niche market, as an additional machine to the two big ones.
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-14-2007 at 01:24 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

§ Gideon § you should be smarter than your comment. Only fanboys assume always that the others are the same kind and don't go beyond the fanboy level. If I remember correctly the accused Sony Fanboy (Anthony) and future president of SCEA predicted that the 360 will dominate the next years of gaming...which shows you how dumb and inappropriate your comment is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post

Despite casual and hardcore gamers complaining that current games are too long and too complicated
    I want these people found and shot.

But oh yeah, I think he's right.
    Last edited by Daltone; 02-14-2007 at 01:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Even Capcom said Resident Evil 4 couldn't be done convincingly on the PS2, but it was.
    You had me, then you lost me.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post

Wii graphics will look always two classes worse than the ones on the 360 and PS3. Does it really matter if the Wii looks a bit worse compared to its competitors (PS2 standard) or a bit better (Xbox standard)? The Wii is a system build around the control scheme disregarding top notch processing power and graphics. This is what developers will focus on, and this is where the success or failure of the Wii will be decided. This is my answer to Eggebrechts surprise why developers neglect the grahical potential of the system and even fall behind GC graphics.

For the most part, I agree with this take, but my original point was the fact that other people kept claiming the Wii's graphical capabilities were a bit beyond Xbox 1. I kept hearing it over and over. That's the only thing that I'm disputing. At this point, I frankly find it hard to believe that the Wii will prove itself to be clearly beyond Xbox 1 in graphical abilities.

All in all, it's not that big of a deal. I own a Wii myself, and I'm not going to sell it off or get rid of it or anything. Even though the graphics are lame, it still provides a breath of fresh air, and some different gaming experiences from the norm. When I said that I hope I eat crow, and that I hope I'm proven completely wrong about it's graphical qualities, I'm dead serious. I really do hope that I'm proven wrong, because then the Wii will be even more enjoyable for me.