Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I love them I always use them.

7 12.07%
  • Yeah. I check them out when I get stuck now and again

39 67.24%
  • No. I just play and grind it out without any crutch

8 13.79%
  • Never! The use of such a thing is CHEATING!

4 6.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your view on strategy guides

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Default Your view on strategy guides

I am just wondering folks views on the use of strategy guides. Do you use them, and find them handy or do you view them as cheating?

I have a pretty decent size collection of guides and have found myself referring to them to progress through tough spots in games and to view maps to avoid getting lost and wandering around too much aimlessly.

I ask cause a few of my friends have seen my in use guides next to my chair and say why do you want to cheat through a game and ruin it.

I like the guides better than scrolling through gamefaqs walkthroughs as I usually get nice maps and a nicer interface than a bunch of words typed out. And they are collectible too
    Last edited by TurboGenesis; 02-11-2007 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I find them useful. I don't really have the time or patience to spend alot of time if I'm stuck in a certain spot in a game. Also, if it's a "walk-through" guide, it may mention specific things such as "secrets" that I would never had found on my own.

That said, I find that buying a traditional printed guide like the ones from Brady is usually unnecessary. Usually the 'net yields better info, but like you say the guides are a nice "collectible".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I try to get through them without a guide, but I feel no shame in using one. Also, some are really nice just for their artwork. ( Working Designs ). I have noticed that EB/Gamestop offer new games packaged with the guide for a discount.

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Yakapucci View Post
    I have noticed that EB/Gamestop offer new games packaged with the guide for a discount.
    JY
    I suspect this is because the markup on guides is like gravy for the game stores.

I saw tons of people purchasing the Oblivion set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

My answer isn't really up there. I don't see the point of strategy guides, as all the releveant info is on the web anyway. So usually I just grind on, relying on sites like gamefaqs for a last resort. I have never used a guide and probably never will, unless someone starts handing them out as presents to me :-)
    I realise that a collector might want them or that they might have some artistic value, but that doesn't rock my boat :-)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im not sure what to answer. I do love the guides because of the detailed pictures etc. but i dont use them. I guess i would have to answer the 3rd option.

The few strategy guides i've bought is mostly for collection purposes only. I have never used any of them if/when i was stuck in a game. I have of course used guides that you find on i.e Gamefaqs.com when i'm stuck. I dont really like to use them because i want to make it on my own

It also depends on what game tho, like if there a game i just want to try out it doesnt really matter if i use guides or cheats. But if there are games that i really want to enjoy i try to stay away from guides unless its absolutely nessessarry hehe.
    Last edited by jajaja; 02-11-2007 at 08:55 AM.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I guess what pisses me off is so many games that seem to be impossible to complete without a guide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong View Post
    I guess what pisses me off is so many games that seem to be impossible to complete without a guide.
    I agree 100% here.

But that being said if I pick up a guide it's usually only because I found it really cheap or it was for a game I really enjoyed.

I have noticed a disappointing trend were games are being designed to need the guide (since instruction manuals are pretty much non-existent nowadays) combined with the price of guides are going up and up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tend to use them when I get stuck. The absolute best guide I have ever seen is the guide for FF9 /sarcasm
    Formerly letsallgameon

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

I collect them. I try to beat the game without the guide, then go back through using the guide for extras, hidden stuff, and whatnot. However, I believe Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne was almost impossible without the guide. (and the guide has some errors in the extra section too.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I like the books but only if the price is cheap, I'm not willing to pay full price for them so I normally pick them up after I have finished with the game so I'll use the online ones if I get stuck but normally I try and go through it on my own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I try to stay far from guides and walk-throughs. When I get stuck I try to wonder around more and do extra things and hope that eventually I'll figure out what to do. If I've been at it for over an hour though, it's time to bust out a guide and just read enough to get by where I'm stuck.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LAGO View Post
    I tend to use them when I get stuck. The absolute best guide I have ever seen is the guide for FF9 /sarcasm
    I don't think I've ever been more disgusted with a guide than the FFIX guide. What's the effing point of a guide that constnatly refers you to a website? Can't believe I wasted my money on that crap. And it came from Brady Guides of all companies. Wonder how many e-mails they got involving four letter words.

Anyway, I have no problem using strategy guides. Especially if I'm playing a game I've already gone through before. If I can save myself from running into dead ends in a RPG, thus saving myself some annoying random encounters, I'm all for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Some of the genres like rpgs, a guide is needed in some cases. Some of the rpgs I play, are difficult without a guide like phatasy star 1 and 2 and the game I am currently trying to beat lufia 2. I depend on online guides on gamefaqs for some rpgs when I am stuck. Some of the rpgs have difficult puzzles to figure out.
    Last edited by 7th lutz; 02-11-2007 at 11:48 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I definitely don't rely on guides because it does ruin "the challenge", but lets not forget that "the challenge" is usually finding some random item that some random developer has stuck in a random corner.... the challenge is often stupid, and deserves to be "broken" with a guide.

In short, I find a guide enitirely reasonable due to the obtuse challenges and secrets of most games, and they are fun to collect too. Do I keep the guide open in my lap while I play through the entire game? No. It's only for when I'm stuck.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    I try to stay far from guides and walk-throughs. When I get stuck I try to wonder around more and do extra things and hope that eventually I'll figure out what to do. If I've been at it for over an hour though, it's time to bust out a guide and just read enough to get by where I'm stuck.
    Im usualy like that too, i try everything until i get a stomach wound lol. Then when u finaly reach for the guide and read the solution you think "arg.. thats the only thing i didnt try!".

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RegSNES View Post
    I don't think I've ever been more disgusted with a guide than the FFIX guide. What's the effing point of a guide that constnatly refers you to a website? Can't believe I wasted my money on that crap. And it came from Brady Guides of all companies. Wonder how many e-mails they got involving four letter words.
    That FFIX guide was legendary for its suckiness. I know personally many people who were burned by it, let alone the common complaints on the internet.

But don't blame Brady Games. Note that the "Check PlayOnline for more info!" scheme was Square's idea. I believe they mandated the same practice for a bunch of strategy guides in Japan, and even made it illegal to write your own FAQ and put it online! I don't know how sucessful they were with that, but you can see their goal: Everyone will check their PlayOnline site for FFIX info instead of anywhere else, including online guides or even offline guides for that matter!

Not only was PlayOnline a rather crappy place to get your FFIX info from, but they eventually just made "PlayOnline.com" your normal Square corporate site, and PlayOnline now only refers to their online community service for games like FFXI. Point is, I don't think their little FFIX information embargo accomplished anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't play rpg's at all. The last strategy guide I bought was for Time Splitters Future Perfect. I didn't use it until I got to the haunted house. Which I didn't need to, but I wasn't happy about using a bat and was looking for the shotgun. When I saw the gun on the wall, I put 2 and 2 together and used that cool pulling gravity glove toy thing to get it.
    What I am getting at is, I should not have bought a guide, nor should I ever. If I get stuck, I will go on the net and find my answers there. I will save 15 bucks to blow it on other crap like flowers for Valentines Day for the wife
    I have two basic food groups, fast and frozen.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I rarely buy them. With the wealth of free guides online, I don't see the need.

The only time I do buy them is with a big release. For example, I had been anticipating Final Fantasy XII for about three years. When it finally came out, I bought both the CE game and the LE Guide. Just a more "complete" experience.

I know guys that buy a guide with every game though. My friend gets a guide even for games like Tekken 5 and Call of Duty 3 or something--games that really do not need guides.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by RegSNES View Post
    Geez! I'm so glad someone else felt this way! I've never felt so ripped off in my life. That was the last strategy guide I've ever bought. Since then if I get stuck in a game I just go to GameFAQs. It sometimes takes a little longer to find what I need, but it's free.

Oh, btw, my favorite strategy guides is the one Nintendo made for the first Final Fantasy. Actually, as far as strategy goes, Nintendo Power was awesome. I remember when Chrono Trigger came out, they devoted most of the magazine that went about halfway through the game.