Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And now, some stupidity from good old SCEA!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default And now, some stupidity from good old SCEA!

http://kotaku.com/gaming/kotaku-magu...200-235204.php

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/02/10

Stupid comment at best.

(If this had a topic already, lock this)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I just read this interview over the weekend. Hilarious. My favorite part is when he says the PS3 is the only console on the market that has great software support.

I like his excuse why they left rumble out of the PS3 controllers too: "We feel that vibration is not part of our future"
    Last edited by norkusa; 02-12-2007 at 03:40 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What an idiot I could have got me 12 c-notes.
    Looking to buy any Criterion movies that I don't already have.

http://cinemalacrum.blogspot.com/

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow, he responded to the reports with "really?". Then when presented with proof he went back on his launch day hype...talk about being unprepaired for an interview. He had to know that they were sitting in US retailers, he would have been better served with coming up wih some other spin rather than what he did.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm just as suprise that the idiot said that remark LAST MONTH!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What an oblivious arrogant asswipe.....but I still like my PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Ostrich syndrome.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Reminds me of a conversation i had at an EB-Games on Christmas Eve.

Was in there just picking up some cheap used game, and was talking to the employee's like i usually do. They were telling me how Wii's are literally snapped up the MOMENT they are put out. Sometimes even as people see them come in. Whereas with the PS3's, they get bought. But are nowhere near in as high demand as people seem to think. Exact quote as memory allows follows...

"Just yesterday(Day before Christmas Eve) we put out one single PS3 at 9am. It sat there unsold the entire day, before someone bought it roughly around 8:30pm. It's been the same for most of the holiday season. They do sell, but it's not like the Wii which is near impossible for the regular person to obtain."

Not that i wouldn't want a PS3. But for 600$? Fuck that...

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EGM says they assume that like 50% of all people who bought a PS3 at launch were going to sell it instantly for profit. I really wonder where they took that number from. It was alot yes, but 50%? Nah, thats bullshit. So i understand why he replies "really?" to a question like that.

Anyway, this is funny tho hehe. You would think that a guy like this would be alittle updated that PS3 isnt hard to get in the stores now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    EGM says they assume that like 50% of all people who bought a PS3 at launch were going to sell it instantly for profit. I really wonder where they took that number from. It was alot yes, but 50%? Nah, thats bullshit. So i understand why he replies "really?" to a question like that.

Anyway, this is funny tho hehe. You would think that a guy like this would be alittle updated that PS3 isnt hard to get in the stores now.
    They probly took it from the number of systems Sony claimed to have released, then did a simple e-bay search to see how many listings were available for the system. Sure, some of those system listings were frauds, but even if half of them were a scam, that still puts it at atleast 35%. His follow up to that wasnt any better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've read that something like 10% or more ended up on eBay, but not 50%. The thing is, it really seemed that way at launch. Everybody I know that camped out for one was planning on reselling them. I think the greed and hype that resellers built up for the launch made it seem like more people were buying them just to put them up on eBay. Who knows, when people bought their consoles and tried to list them on eBay, they figured out that it was saturated with PS3 resellers and decided just to keep it instead. It might have really been 50% with auction plans, but only a small percentage carried it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is no doubt in my mind that the %50 number is true.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze View Post
    They probly took it from the number of systems Sony claimed to have released, then did a simple e-bay search to see how many listings were available for the system. Sure, some of those system listings were frauds, but even if half of them were a scam, that still puts it at atleast 35%. His follow up to that wasnt any better.
    Its not really possible to research this stuff to an exact number (well.. it is possible, but it would take hella lot of time and alot of research). The most PS3 i saw on Ebay at once was about 30.000. That would say the hits i got when i searched, it doesnt mean that all hits really contains what it is. Many uses "PS3" in the headline when they sell PS2 games etc. just to attract more watchers. Also, alot of the auctions were also relisted due to false bids. I was watching it closely and the auctions i watched, about 90-95% were fake bids, it was crazy

Im not denying that alot of people bought to resell, but 50%? Bullshit i say hehe. 35% is also alot, i doubt it was that much. If i should guess i would say between 10-15%, top 20%. But again, these numbers are just guesses, i doubt anyone has a real statistic on it. Anyway, it doesnt really matter. What matters is how the situation is now, how hard/easy it is to get a PS3 and this SCEA guy blew it hehe. I found it strange that he wasnt atleast alittle updated on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I've read that something like 10% or more ended up on eBay, but not 50%. The thing is, it really seemed that way at launch. Everybody I know that camped out for one was planning on reselling them. I think the greed and hype that resellers built up for the launch made it seem like more people were buying them just to put them up on eBay.
    Ye, i think that is one of the reasons why people think the number is 50%, because of all the focus on the resellers.
    Last edited by jajaja; 02-12-2007 at 06:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read that whole article in the current issue of EGM and found it most entertaining. I'll also give credit to EGM for asking the new president all those tough questions and NOT backing down. It's the first time I've ever seen a media presence NOT kiss ass to such a degree. I was shocked.

But the president's answers also were some of the most arrogant and totally skewed & spun answers I've seen in my entire life. That guy should write speeches for Bush. It made me resolved NOT to buy a PS3 even more.

I kept reading the article though and waiting for the point where EGM would interject "Mr. Tretton has walked out of the interview". I especially enjoyed the part where he spouted the bullshit about PS3s flying off the shelf and "staying that way", and then EGM threw some VERY recent seller surveys back in his face. He had no comeback for that. It's the same way in my town right now. I can walk into ANY gaming, toy or even for that matter "department store" and find a PS3. Hell even Fred Myer's, one of our biggest Pacific Northwest retail chains has a single PS3 sitting in it's case in the electronics department. It's been there for about a week.. currently. It looks so lost & forlorn sitting there all by itself. Maybe if they gave away a free puppy with it.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56 View Post
    But the president's answers also were some of the most arrogant and totally skewed & spun answers I've seen in my entire life. It made me resolved NOT to buy a PS3 even more.
    Exactly what I was thinking when I read the interview. Why would I give $600 to a company who is run by people with no sense of reality? What dream-world is this guy living in...where PS3's are "flying of the shelves"? Huh?
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember reading somewheres that people were returning PS3s to retailers because they couldn't make enough profit reselling them.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I remember reading somewheres that people were returning PS3s to retailers because they couldn't make enough profit reselling them.
    Thats funny. There are still dumb rednecks on ebay still trying to sell a PS3 for profit. People are stupid

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    Ha!

I had a feeling that the PS3 wouldn't sell well at all.

A friend of mine got THREE PS3s on launch day (using three different addresses, you know, the rule that you get one PS3 per house). When he got that three PS3s, I figured it out the launch is going down the drain. If he was able to get THREE fucking PS3s on launch day, then something is totally wrong with the launch (a good number of people were ebaying it).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a bit like an interview the old Next Generation magazine did with a SCEA president about the first Playstation actually.

I will say this, the PS3 makes a nice shiny paper weight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Not to threadjack, but regarding the amount of people that sold them on ebay, I filmed a small documentary in the 36 hours before the ps3 launch, traveled to about 3 or 4 stores (but only got really good footage at 2) and asked the campers what they were doing with them.

Out of the roughly 100 people at best buy, a solid 80 percent were re-selling them on ebay, with some others buying for people who didnt want to wait in line, and less than a dozen buying one to own. I met some intresting people, and may put this all up on youtube someday, but the hype was largely for capitalism, not gaming.
    Welcome to Macintosh.