Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever resumed somebody else's saved game?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Stealing Pokemon is a classic example.

There are several places in the games where the game benefits you for having guys from lots of different cartridges. So it's worth it to take those guys. Besides, sometimes someone has one of the rare promo ones...even if the person who used the old save cheated to get the promo one, I know some people that feel like: well, it wasn't ME that cheated, so it's OK. But they wouldn't use the Action Replay themselves. Weird, huh?

But for other games: I never use someone else's save game. I rarely buy used games, for one, and when I do - especially if the game has a story - it doesn't make sense to play through. Of course, some of my OWN save games where I've put down a game for a year, maybe two, feel like someone else's save...because I've forgotten everything that happened.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

The first thing I usually do when getting a new cart is delete the old saves, unless someone's beaten the game. Some RPGs have those bonus dungeons or new game + modes and it's worth hanging onto, othertimes it just neat having a save at the last boss.

One such cart I own is Light Crusader for Genesis. I've played the game before but new got real far into it. The last copy I bought was saved at the end. So I loaded it up and beat the main baddie and watched the credits. I was a little dissapointed at how easy it was. First time I ever fought him and I beat the game.

I also never deleted the save file from Ocarina of Time. I bought it from GameStop, brought it home and noticed the save file was named Trevor. Turns out a friend of mine had actually traded in his copy and I bought it. Kinda cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always check out what's on memory period.

When it comes to memory cards I usually own most of the games saved on it. The last PS1 card I bought had a FF7 game that was 38hrs long and they were lvl 35's, amazingly slow progression! I've looked at other things such as people's customed cars from GT2 and other racers. RPGs are usually the more interesting thing because I can see where they got stuck, gave up and sold their game!

As for cartridge saved games, just about every time I've seen that they've beaten the game! That's right, beaten. Older games I believe are played through by gamers due to this and that newer ones are given up on all the time. I've beaten a few games because they already did the work for me! But really I delete their save and see if I can make it to the ending, plus it gives me a basic idea of what level I should be or what I need to buy before reaching that boss, or even a strat to go with.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to love renting games and seeing other people's saved games that were SO far ahead of me. Zelda for SNES comes to mind here!

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have only done it with Super Mario 64, but it was after I had beaten it myself and I wanted to see where the other person was at in the game. I have also used a Dex Drive on occasion as well.
    Looking to buy any Criterion movies that I don't already have.

http://cinemalacrum.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually leave at least one save on the game. I like to see where the previous owners were at in the game and see how it plays without waiting for the all the background stories that come with starting a new game.

I also like to leave the save so I can compare the level of my character to the other game at a similar point. It's usually pretty amusing comparing the games; I either can't figure out how the person got to that level with so few power ups and items, or I can see the reason why the save is at the point that it is (they couldn't go any further).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

heh, nice question.
    I never used another ones savegame. Always started from the start

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am one of those jerks who would deleted every save from every game I rented. I only did it because people always did it to me!

I rented Dragon Warrior II three times, having to start from the beginning every time, until I finally bought my own copy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

I had a funny experience with this the other day, buying a boxed Sega Saturn brand memory card. The owner said it had never been used, but I popped it in and there were two Sim City 2000 saves on it. Whatever. The funny thing though, was the naming of the cities. Every save says something like SIM_CITY:CITYNAME001 or whatever. So the first one: SIM_CITY:HOLLYWOOD. Fair enough, we all envy the glamour of Hollywood. The next save? SIM_CITY:JEWTOWN. Thinking I must be reading it politically incorrectly (maybe it's Jewt Own?) I load it up. Lo and behold, it's a huge open area of light residential in the middle surrounded by a big road, like some sort of camp. On the perimeter are police stations the whole way around. There are then power lines around all the rest of the map shaped into giant Swastikas. This dude had some issues.

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I've ever done this type of thing with one game. It was Super Mario RPG for the SNES. The save wasnt very far into the game, maybe four or five hours. So I figured I would just go from there instead of going threw all the boring stuff at the very beginning of the game.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grolt View Post
    So the first one: SIM_CITY:HOLLYWOOD. Fair enough, we all envy the glamour of Hollywood. The next save? SIM_CITY:JEWTOWN.
    So he had the same city on there twice?

I kid..I kid...

It's true, though.

...word is bondage...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

usually no but I have before but usually I delete them. Almost always delete my stuff before selling/trading

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always felt bad when forced to make a choice in deleting a save file from a maxed cart I've picked up. Lowest Level/Least time is always the victim.

It's really bad when I see 3 save files all deep into the game and all are unique and one of them has to go

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

When I bought FF3 used I loaded up the cart and found all 3 save spots filled with level 90+ characters all named GOKU, VEGETA, KRILLIN, ect. 3 saves, all 90+ and at the end of the game, all with DBZ names. Holy crap.

I deleted the lowest level save and started new in that one. The guy who had this cart before me was a huge nerd.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I bought my LttP used cart the top save was a complete game (all hearts, everything done). It's still sitting there and I deleted the other ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    It's almost like a soap opera where you think that everyone cares about how Kevin's adventures on eBayland goes from day to day.

There's a place for semi-regular posts like your's Kevin, it's called a diary or a blog.

Known Scammer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back in the day I bought Super Mario RPG brand new and when I popped it into the SNES, lo and behold, there was a saved game on it o.O I don't know if the game was tested and then not erased or what, but the game was saved all the way up to Punchinello which is like the 3rd star! lol I went ahead and played from there and beat the game. Later I started my own.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Taken over somebody else's save game?

Ew, that would be like putting on their used condom.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I ALWAYS delete game saves on used carts I buy.

PET PEEVE MOMENT:
    Occasionally, you run across the games that don't have a delete feature and has 3+ save slots with crap save files saved to them and guess what? You're stuck with them!

My new copy of Beggar Prince had test saves on all the slots and no way to delete them through the game. So what did I do? Yup. Popped that cart open, yanked the back up battery, and ouila! All game slots are clean!
    Last edited by Damaramu; 10-14-2007 at 01:52 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think i've ever played someone elses gamesave at least until i was done with the game myself. Then possibly i'd play someone elses on accident, or to help them out if they are stuck.
    www.MoorGames.com - Buy/Sell/Trade New & Used Video Games. Great place to deal with.

Insert Coin (Level 0) steeniekins's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a ps1 memory card a while back, probably about 8months ago when I was managing a video game store. I bought it from a guy who ONLY liked sports games and such. I check it at home. and it has suikoden 1 saved to level 52! I was OOoooOOoo suikoden! So I still have it one there cuz...it's Suikoden!

Also, I got Ocarina of time a while back. There were two saved games on it already. So I started my own..and I could not get Epona...I know lame, whatever. So I ended up beating the game with the guy who had epona. I wanted the Goron sword okay?!..I ended up beating Ganondorf without the goron sword later on...but I just wanted to finally see the ending after 7years of playing it on and off...
    Games I currently REALLY want:
    Monster Rancher 1 and 2 for PS1
    Valkyrie Profile for PS1