Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Steam

I just purchased GTI Racer for the PC... the US publisher is TopWare and the developer is Techland... neither of which suggests any connection to Valve Software... but this game forces you to install STEAM before you can install the game itself, and this fact isn't mentioned anywhere on the box... nor is it mentioned anywhere on the box that an internet connection is required just to install the game, because of the requirement to install STEAM first... the minimum system requirements state that a modem is required for multiplayer mode, and the recommended system requirements state that an internet connection is required for multiplayer mode, but that's all that's on the box...

this is extremely deceptive, and should constitute some sort of deceptive business practice, as far as I'm concerned... there should at least be a logo for STEAM on the box that says "powered by STEAM" or something to that effect, so potential buyers will know that it's a requirement for installing the game, or at least those who are already familiar with STEAM will know this...

I had heard about STEAM and many of the complaints with it before, but since I don't play any of Valve Software's games or any other FPS, I figured that I would never have to worry about having an encounter with this very sinister program... then I heard that STEAM would soon take over PC gaming, and I figured that I still had nothing to worry about, since I don't play FPS...

but it's happening now, my friends... PC gamers all over the world are being forced to install STEAM just so they can install new games that they bought, and worse yet they're being duped into buying games that force them to do this without being warned on the box that they will be forced to do this, if they want to play these particular games... this makes me question what the real purpose of STEAM is... if they're being this deceptive about it being a requirement for installing a game, then surely there's alot more that they're hiding about it... copy protection schemes are one thing, but STEAM doesn't appear to be a copy protection scheme... it just appears to be a scheme...

I've heard many good things about STEAM too, but the very deceptive way that it's being forced upon unsuspecting PC gamers like this still leads me to believe that whatever is good about it is merely a facade to cover up its very sinister true purpose... corporations never deceive consumers without a dark purpose for doing so, and this is most certainly a very blatant deception... it's very clearly an attempt to force all PC gamers to install STEAM sooner or later, and there must be a reason for this beyond providing multiplayer fun...

so what is up with this shit? I own alot of games that include GameSpy on the disc for multiplayer mode, but this fact is always stated on the box, and installing GameSpy is never a requirement for installing those games... the GameSpy installer doesn't launch until after the games are installed... this should be the case with STEAM as well, but it's not... very sinister indeed...
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Call the customer service or tech support number for the game developer and complain that it wasn't documented on the box anywheres. You can't return the open game to the store but you should be able to request a return from the manufacturer. The only way they'll rethink this practice is if people return the game and they loose sales over it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

(Sir? Please be advised that generally sentences start with a capital letter and end with a single period.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, what griking said. I hate steam and am afraid that programs like that will become the norm for pc games. steam pretty much killed my respect for valve (which was revived after I played hl2!). anyway, anything that can be done to discourage the use of such programs is a must in my book.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah man, Steam is totally going to hijack the internets by spying on every PC gamer in existence.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster View Post
    Yeah man, Steam is totally going to hijack the internets by spying on every PC gamer in existence.
    It's welcome to spy on my computer, just so long as the bastard thing stops crashing and hogging my system resources.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    It's welcome to spy on my computer, just so long as the bastard thing stops crashing and hogging my system resources.
    Yep, that's my big problem with it. Everytime I boot my computer I get a big fat Steam error. On top of random disconnects and other crap.

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    Yeah I could not agree more between that and the actual Counter-Strike game my computer was about to flatline..So I just got rid of them both and went back to console gaming.
    Looking to buy any Criterion movies that I don't already have.

http://cinemalacrum.blogspot.com/

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Uh, so am I the only one that doesn't let Steam run on startup, and who keeps it closed when I'm not playing?

Jeez. :P I'm not fond of the copy protection method, but it's not really that bad. At least it's not STARFORCE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, i'll be sure NOT to buy this game.

My PC gaming days are over when Steam becomes the norm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Am I the Only one that lets Steam run on startup and dont have any problems?

/me has always been a steam user and loves it, auto patching FTW.
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm thinking most of the Steam naysayers weren't participants of the large update they did recently. I'm also under the impression, as with an above poster, that a lot of people have Steam setup for startup?

Steam is only opened when I play a game online, and Steam is as stable as any other software. It's definitely made multiplayer a wonderful experience. As far as being pissed off that steam is a requirement for multiplayer, if you do have a reason to dislike Steam still (after the latest upgrade) than I second the motion to call the publisher. I don't see anything wrong with it personally, and generally expect more than a game to be installed anymore (DirectX upgrades, Controller upgrades, Codecs, shit that I didn't want installed, but are a requirement).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnFan View Post
    My PC gaming days are over when Steam becomes the norm.
    Your days are numbered, then - many publishers will still do packaged retail games, but will require you to go with Steam-like systems for activation and patches.

Anyway, I haven't had any Steam errors, even on my most ancient Pentium IV machine.

I think it's shady that they don't mention that an internet connection is required or that it uses Steam, and I think that should be changed. Aside from that, I love Steam (unless it goes down, in which case I come THIS close to writing an expose, heh - although back in the day there were WON authentication servers to worry about). Instant patches, awesome. However, I refuse to buy things online - I'll get my games boxed at a retail store and then just load them up via Steam.

I particularly like having my whole game collection only a few button clicks away. Sure, it's slow (only 1-1.5 MB/sec, oh the HORROR), but I can do shit while it's installing. Much more fun than installing stuff manually.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 02-19-2007 at 07:45 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Steam is awesome, has never been a problem for me.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    this makes me question what the real purpose of STEAM is... if they're being this deceptive about it being a requirement for installing a game, then surely there's alot more that they're hiding about it... copy protection schemes are one thing, but STEAM doesn't appear to be a copy protection scheme... it just appears to be a scheme...
    Are you serious?

Look, i'll be honest. I don't like Steam, it doesn't even run on my system, but to accuse it of having ulterior motives is insane. It isn't a copy protection system, it obviously fails at that goal. It's little more then a speed bump for hackers.

Steam's goal is the same as Xbox Live or Nintendo's Virtual Console. Digitally distribute games. While collectors think this is the bane of existance, the gaming industry has decided that it's a viable model. Get used to it, or stick with what you already have. If the majority feels the same way, then they'll switch back. My copy of geometry wars says digital distribution is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Uh, so am I the only one that doesn't let Steam run on startup, and who keeps it closed when I'm not playing?
    Same boat, baby.

I love Steam and wish more stuff would get published through it. It's an awesome content delivery platform and there's a great selection of stuff on there.

Now "Episodic Gaming"...there's something that can eat my asshole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So what happens if Steam doesn't catch on for some reason and shuts it's doors or if they decide to "retire" a game? Doesn't this mean that you can no longer play that retail purchased game that you own?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    So what happens if Steam doesn't catch on for some reason and shuts it's doors or if they decide to "retire" a game? Doesn't this mean that you can no longer play that retail purchased game that you own?
    That's my main concern with the system. Ten, fifteen years down the line... that'll be a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    You can look at what happened to Triton for an idea of what could happen. For first party Valve software, they'd probably be able to patch out the protection. It really depends on how their nazi contracts with Vivendi Universal and Electronic Arts were structured. At the very least, I'd expect them to dish out physical copies. The Steam-exclusive stuff would probably be just fine.

Really, I don't think it's anything to be worried about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like the idea of Steam, I just don't like it much.

In all honestly, I've not had it on my computer for about six months, so if it's a lot more stable now then good. After a while I learned my lesson and stopped it running at startup, but it still managed to cause my computer to get it's knickers in a twist from time to time.