Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Listing game Chronologically

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Listing game Chronologically

I need help, I like like to list my game chronologically that way I can see the progression of system development as I play them. I'm trying to orginize my Genesis games (about 30) and I'm a having a very hard time. I'm finding errors on digitpress (sub-terrania did not come out in 1990) and on both gamefaqs and digitpress, some times only the year was given. Part numbers don't help at all either as Sega seemed to apply them fairly randomly in regards to release dates, and 3rd party games have different part numbers than first party or second party games. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

The mental ward is that way --->

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man I thought I was bad enough for alphabetizing my game collection.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

I've tried to find chronological lists for modern systems for my collecting with mixed results. I suspect finding older system lists would be next to impossible.

I have found that collecting for the PST (for example) is great to do chronologically because the earliest games on the list are less expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Japanese have publications that list all the games released for a system, along with things like the release date and MSRP. I don't know if there's anything like that for US games, though.

If I had a Jynx think of the things we can do together. She also kisses alot.
    Not to mention her breast plates is obviously hiding something nice
    The of Jynx as a XXX doll pokemon. -Rugal Sizzler

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, so I must be the only person in the world that does in chronologically, how does everybody else orginaze? Alphabetically? If that were the case don't systems that have different cases bother you? I'm thinking the Genesis the Saturn the PS1 and the Dreamcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

In that situation I would just organize them by different cases and that's if I ever decided to organize anything.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The case size issue is bothersome to me. It makes organizing my games that much more difficult, since I collect pretty much exclusively for the Japanese Playstation. There are three case sizes: regular jewel cases, PAL jewel cases that are about twice as thick and slightly taller, and larger cases for games with 3+ discs. So, do I put all the big cases first and then the smaller ones? And when I organize them, do I organize them the English way (a-b-c-d-e-f-g etc) or Japanese (a-i-u-e-o-ka-ki etc)? This is the type of thing that keeps me up at night.

If I had a Jynx think of the things we can do together. She also kisses alot.
    Not to mention her breast plates is obviously hiding something nice
    The of Jynx as a XXX doll pokemon. -Rugal Sizzler

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've thought about organizing all my games chronologically before, but I can't seem to find any accurate information on exact release dates either. It would be cool to be able to do it that way though, at least as a database option.

Now as for the problem of varying case sizes, it might be less bothersome if you categorized all your games alphabetically regardless of system. In other words, instead of keeping all your games separated by system, alphabetize them all together. Then you'll have a huge mess of varying case sizes, but they'll all be arranged alphabetically. That way the varying case sizes would make alot more sense. It would look worse, but it would make more sense.

Otherwise, I'd keep all the cases of the same size together, and alphabetize them all separately. Doing it that way would make all your games look alot better on the shelf together, but it woulod make it harder to find a certain game in your collection if you weren't sure what kind of case it was kept in.

As for my own collection, I have all of my games in alphabetical order, but separated by system. And as for all my imports, they're all kept separate from all the domestic releases, but still alphabetized in the western way, although if I knew the Japanese way it might be fun to alphabetize them that way. So you could just alphabetize all your domestic games the western way and alphabetize all your imports the Japanese way. That would make sense.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you tried the almighty wikipedia yet?
    Looking to buy any Criterion movies that I don't already have.

http://cinemalacrum.blogspot.com/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats hardcore or just insanity to sort it by release date. I just sorted them out by system (import and domestic) and then had them in alplhabetical order. As for case sizes, only ones I separate are the ps1 long boxes. Even then I sort them alphabetically but on the side of the reg ps1 jewel cases or else they'd look to fugly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I used to organize my games by chronological order of when I originally bought them (especially the Lynx, for some reason). After a while, I just gave up trying to remember these kinds of things and just group them randomly by console only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probably the only way to get a complete release list with to-the-day release dates for an older system is to make it yourself. You'd have to go down the list and research most every game one by one. And even then it will take forever if it can be completed. Seems like no one cared to remember when games came out back then.

As for me, I sort by system and then alphabetically. One exception is Genesis. My EA sports games have their own little shelf in the closet. They don't get to be with the rest of the Genesis games because they're too ugly which makes them stick out. I also keep the cardboard boxed games separate and stored away instead of shelved so they don't get damaged in any way.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's like this for me:

By System -> By case sizes -> Alphabetically

So the basically means broken down by system in alphabetical collections (I put them next to each console), unless there are case size variations (like longbox ps1 games), which can be grouped together alphabetically.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

heh its hard just to get correct info on when systems were released now the games? ugh i would go nuts

but for me i have no order except that all the games for one system are in the same area, i dont care about alpha. or release dates

plus i can do alpha. with my Cart Commander
    Join the 3DO Chat here -- http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I got most of the Genesis straight last night. I just decided to go with what I could find and if game only had a year and not a day/month, I allowed for them released on June 15th. The Xbox and Cube was pretty easy. Dreamcast too. Next is the Saturn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theshizzle3000 View Post
    Have you tried the almighty wikipedia yet?
    Although it's not always accurate it's a good place to start. You can double it up by looking at databases (like the one here on DP), googling the game and checking out other specialty game sites, searching through game mags and double check with the copyright year on the cart/box. With 30 games though, that shouldn't be too bothersome.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Wasn't there some "chronogamer" guy who was trying to beat every game in order of release? Did he ever make it to Intellivision?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah the Genesis games aren't too bad. But I have 220 games across 7 systems that I need to do. As it sits, the Saturn is in roughly the right order and so is the Gamecube.

I like Fezzes. Fezzes are cool. ubikuberalles's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Wasn't there some "chronogamer" guy who was trying to beat every game in order of release? Did he ever make it to Intellivision?
    That would be mezrabad and he posted regularly about it in his DP blog. Alas, that and all the other DP blogs are gone. However you can find his Chronogaming blog at AtariAge.

(Pronounced: OO-bik-OO-ber-ALL-ess)
    Reality is false and decaying. Ubik restores form and substance.