Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Actual gaming time vs. Time spent collecting?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Actual gaming time vs. Time spent collecting?

I'm just wondering what the general ratio of actual game playing time vs. time spent building a collection is for most people? By this I mean the time spent actually playing video games vs. gaming web forums, eBay, game reviews, magazines, searching in the wild, etc. Do you find that as your collection grows that you spend less time actually gaming and more time "collecting" ???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know I'm not the norm; but for the last 5 years I've spent 10 times more time collecting, than actually playing the games I collected. One of the reasons I decided a few weeks ago to entirely dump all of my pre last-gen (XBX,GCN,PS2) games.. and why I am currently trying to sell the entire lot of 450 games.. all at once. Looking back.. I now regret all that time wasted amassing all of this "stuff". Out of those 450 games.. I'm lucky if I actually played 5% of them.. ludicrous. I am currently looking forward to being able to devote a MUCH greater part of my spare time to things a LOT more meaningful in life.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

2004-2005 were my biggest "collector's mentality" years... where I bought lots of games, and never so much even tested them. These days I've reverted back to gamer-collector, where I'd like to be for the rest of my gaming days. Not only am I playing my games more, but I find myself actually trying to beat them as well.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have found being online to be extremely addictive. so much so that I spent the better part of the past 2-3 years dicking around online, buying games on ebay, researching games, reading reviews, and posting in forums. honestly, I would go months on end without even picking up a controller.

then I got pissed with myself and now I force myself to spend some time gaming at least a few days per week. I say "force", but what I mean is that I make sure to shut off the tv and computer and sit down and enjoy some of the many many games I have collected. I love it and once I get going I am psyched I did, but I do have to shut off this friggin computer which I seem to be addicted to...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most likely more collecting. It takes awhile for me to get around to all the stores I venture off to. It may take around 4 hrs to visit most of the stores and come up with nothing game related. On a weekly basis, currently I'm spending around 4hrs gaming, 2hrs searching. Next week is spring break, so it'll most likely be 20+ hrs in the week gaming and 4-5 hrs searching, then another 15+ hrs watching DVDs and anime. I also plan on reading a lot of books to play "catch up" in classes.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stargate View Post
    I have found being online to be extremely addictive. so much so that I spent the better part of the past 2-3 years dicking around online, buying games on ebay, researching games, reading reviews, and posting in forums. honestly, I would go months on end without even picking up a controller.
    What he said.

And as far as gaming time goes. I only really have time for arcade games or giving no more than an hour or two every night (if I'm not working) after the wife and kid have gone to bed. Lately I've been playing quite a bit, but like stargate said... I too can go months without powering up anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

I think its inevitable that the more you become a collector, the less you find yourself playing. That is assuming you're a working adult. When I was in college--which was only 5 years ago--I found I could do both. Now my wife just says "Hey, you gonna get off Digital Press TODAY?"

I've made a major effort to dump off the shit I'm never going to play this month, and will likely continue to do so. I think the hardest thing is deciding what to actually own games for and what to just pass on. I find myself actually wanting another system hooked up to my 50" Sony. And you know what? I currently have 8 systems running through it right now with shit sitting all over the place. I've barely played Sonic on the Wii---even though I want to and actually just bought MLB on 360.

It's coming to a critical fucking mass where I MUST ask myself WHY.

I don't even have any collector friends to show my shit off to. Isn't that part of the fun?

I think I'm close to hitting my breaking point again (I did a few years back). Either that, or my wife is going to break ME. When I tell coworkers how many games I have they often look at me and say "you have all that? wow, you must play all the time." Between life, work and collecting my Saturday's have become my sliver of gaming time. Its around 4 hours or so, whereas it once was 12-15. I'm sure I'll get back there again soon. After all, God of War II is just around the corner and I need to make it comes home so it stares at me ruthlessly from the shelf taunting me to actually play it.
    Last edited by agbulls; 02-28-2007 at 10:48 PM.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

from working 45 hours a week , and having a one year old its hard to find time to play my games . i at least try to play my new stuff and beat it . like for the ps3 and 360 . i ocassionaly play my older stuff but there just isnt enough time in a day . on my 2 days off a week i spend 75 percent of the day going all over town searching pawn shops , game stores , and thrifts . i just started collecting
    in feb last year ((for real)) ,and have 650 plus games . but i just love to collect , ive been doing it all my life . i really wish i didnt sell my stuff before , because i would have thousands of things .
    Last edited by ecresto; 02-28-2007 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Lately, I don't spend much time playing games. I definitely spend a lot more time collecting them, though. All the time I put into thrift store shopping, wandering around flea markets, and hitting stores looking for dirt cheap modern games, isn't balanced too well with the amount of time I put into popping them into a console and getting some enjoyment out of them. But I have fun looking for games, so I'm not too concerned. In the past couple years, it's the thrill of the hunt more than enjoying the plunder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

then I got pissed with myself and now I force myself to spend some time gaming at least a few days per week. I say "force", but what I mean is that I make sure to shut off the tv and computer and sit down and enjoy some of the many many games I have collected. I love it and once I get going I am psyched I did, but I do have to shut off this friggin computer which I seem to be addicted to...
    Doesn't that make it hard to play? Unless you're going after a REAL challenge!

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Well, like many of my fellow working stiffs here, I find myself with less and less time to play. Work + grad school + planning a wedding + trying to lead some semblance of a normal healthy life doesn't leave much time for gaming. But since I do get some time at work during lunch and I have time to read on the train after I finish my grad school reading, I find myself keeping up with the industry through its journalism.

I have about 250+ games (small potatoes compared to many people here) and sometimes I consider selling off a system here or there. It's actually my fiancee that tells me not to sell anything and encourages me in meeting the goals of my collection. She realizes that it's my hobby and it's important to me. I always meet all my obligations, don't go into debt for it and can save money for later. Of course she's more important than video games, and it helps that she enjoys picking up the controller, too.

I don't have any collector friends locally that I can show this stuff off to either, and it's not like I have enough space to show off the whole collection at once anyway. Bah, I'll probably just wind up passing it on eventually...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find that I enjoy collecting, and reading about classic, current or future games and systems then actually playing them. I am prolly 90% not playing, its really strange. I think I like the boxes more then the games haha.
    My System History in order of purchase: Coleco Vision - Master System - Genesis - Game Gear - Sega CD - 32X - Saturn - Nomad - PS1 - Dreamcast - PS2 - DS - PS3 (60GB) - PSP - 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    Doesn't that make it hard to play? Unless you're going after a REAL challenge!

ha ha. yes, actually I do have to turn a tv on, but I have a different one in my gaming room for that.

wow, I am surprised so many of us are in the same boat. I just sort of assumed I was one of the few who spent more time collecting than actualy gaming.

agbulls said, "I don't even have any collector friends to show my shit off to. Isn't that part of the fun?"

this is a good point. I have NO friends into classic gaming. I am 35 and I have like 1 or 2 friends who enjoy next gen type gaming, but I can't even force them to play a classic game with me and they sure as hell don't want to hear me talk about it so that kinda sucks. I basically just enjoy it by myself and of course will you all on the forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I regret that I seem to be compiling more games rather than playing them I am currently working 6 days a week and have a family so game time is pretty much limited. I pretty much play shoot them ups the most as these games can be enjoyed for about 30 minutes or less a day. So all my shooties plus any new ones I pick up get played. On the other hand I enjoy RPG's but time does not allow me to play them much and I continue to get more. I have a fair amount of my latest acquisitions still sealed as I have a huge backlog of RPG's. When I was off work for 2 months a few years ago I finished 3 RPG's - long games too like Star Ocean 3 Til the end of time, Xenosaga, and Y's VI. I wouldn't mind having another 2 month vacation just to sit home and play games

I'll still go by the ol' saying - 'when I retire, I'll play through them all!'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    \ I wouldn't mind having another 2 month vacation just to sit home and play games
    We can all dream my friend, we can all dream.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) AlphaNerd01's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Now that I'm a full time student, and I only work at GameStop once a week, I'm actually PLAYING the games I collected between 2004-2006... but for the last couple years, I spent a lot more time hunting for games than actually playing them. Reading the other replies I feel a lot less guilty about that now.
    Genesis does what Nintendon't.

http://www.youtube.com/radretroreviews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh, I go through phases like the rest of us. I've certainly been guilty of chasing deals on the internet and scouring information in lieu of actually playing games, but this comes and goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

this is a good point. I have NO friends into classic gaming. I am 35 and I have like 1 or 2 friends who enjoy next gen type gaming, but I can't even force them to play a classic game with me and they sure as hell don't want to hear me talk about it so that kinda sucks. I basically just enjoy it by myself and of course will you all on the forums.
    The question from a friend at work today, when I told him I just bought an Atari (knowing there was no point in saying "2600" at the end of that) - "Why"?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what exactly goes "in" to collecting? You browse ebay, buy some shit, open the mail and throw the game in a stack or on a shelf. I spend hours upon hours playing xbox 360 every week, way more than time spent "collecting."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i really dont play any games when i am at home. i brought a controller into work, so i just play emulators during my lunch break, which is an hour and a half. and you can save your state. but i still collect like crazy, which i find is really fun. going to flea markets instead of gaming isnt a bad thing, its exercise and its gets you outside. its such a good feeling showing up to one and seeing a ton of people, you never know what you are going to find.