Thread: Warhawk Goes Multiplayer, Download Only

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Warhawk Goes Multiplayer, Download Only

The once rumor is now confirmed. Warhawk, has gone multiplayer and download only.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/incognito/w...ime-241265.php

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Wow. Major disappointment. I dont even know if an online version interests me.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, that's really disappointing. Multiplayer really holds little value for me and I really just prefer single player games. Incognito needs to get with Zipper Interactive and get taught a lesson on how to make the single player work.

....either that or Zipper needs to make another Crimson Skies game.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Wow, that's really disappointing. Multiplayer really holds little value for me and I really just prefer single player games. Incognito needs to get with Zipper Interactive and get taught a lesson on how to make the single player work.

....either that or Zipper needs to make another Crimson Skies game.
    That's going to turn a lot of people around here off too. We don't have too many people here that remember/were fans of the original but all of them were set for an epic feeling single player experience. Now there's probably NO single player compoment outside of some disposable training and skirmish modes. What a waste.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

I don't even think it will have that kind of offline treatment. What a disappointment, and what a crap way to bring a franchise back
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but to the 5 people above who all disliked the idea - what do you think of it now? Just curious =)

This is my first ps3 game (I own 5, but I've only played this one so far) and I love it - I even bought the 3 expansions last night for $16 (haven't used them yet). Since I got the game used for $18, I wasn't thrilled about spending $16 on something that I can't add to the package if I sell the game (right? I can't give/sell these away in any fashion I'm guessing).

It took me about 2-3 hours of game play to finally master the controls (I did the training too) and now that I finally have I'm actually doing decent (not good). I never played older versions of this game (didn't even know they exist), but now I'm curious to play them for ps2 or whatever it's for. I have to admit, I really like this game a lot. I'm new the whole ps3 thing (bought it a few months ago but just for blu ray), but so far this game has me hooked. I also bought (not that it pertains to the thread) Time Crisis, MGS4, Unreal, and Resistance, I was trying to buy the exclusive titles (oops on Unreal) that looked like something I would like...

Nate
    Last edited by nate1749; 12-03-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nate1749 View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but to the 5 people above who all disliked the idea - what do you think of it now? Just curious =)

This is my first ps3 game (I own 5, but I've only played this one so far) and I love it - I even bought the 3 expansions last night for $16 (haven't used them yet). Since I got the game used for $18, I wasn't thrilled about spending $16 on something that I can't add to the package if I sell the game (right? I can't give/sell these away in any fashion I'm guessing).

It took me about 2-3 hours of game play to finally master the controls (I did the training too) and now that I finally have I'm actually doing decent (not good). I never played older versions of this game (didn't even know they exist), but now I'm curious to play them for ps2 or whatever it's for. I have to admit, I really like this game a lot. I'm new the whole ps3 thing (bought it a few months ago but just for blu ray), but so far this game has me hooked. I also bought (not that it pertains to the thread) Time Crisis, MGS4, Unreal, and Resistance, I was trying to buy the exclusive titles (oops on Unreal) that looked like something I would like...

Nate
    I bought it for $30 at Best Buy when the price dropped and they included the headset. I played it twice and haven't touched it since. I still think multi-player only on-line games for consoles are lame. There is no reason they couldn't have put together a compelling single player mode, just like they did for the old Warhawk games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Monkeyfracker

I booted up the demo, and it seemed like they had done a good job with the ground stuff, but the warhawk was impossible to control. That just made it kind of lame...

I guess that has nothing to do with the multiplayer debate, but frankly I'm on the side of anyone who wants to make more single-player stuff. Even great multiplayer is kind of vacuous. And I say that as a dedicated CS player.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Very interesting to see new opinions on Warhawk based on the recent demo release.

I've been a hardcore PS3 Warhawk player since the beta release.

I think it's one of the best experiences on the PS3 with one of the best user communities.

I hope you're not attempting to use the SixaxiS controls to fly the Warhawk ... personally I think that the vehicles control perfectly with standard controls.

Once you get the feel for flying the Warhawk it's one of the most "second nature" flight schemes I've ever had the pleasure of using on a game console.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Monkeyfracker

Maybe I'll give it another shot then. So far the only thing that Iv'e used sixaxis for is MGS4. I didn't even bother to finish the tutorial in GTA (the helecopter was a bastard). SIXAXIS is the most retarded feature of any popular console ever (though I can think of lots of things which don't qualify as features that are worse).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had the game for months but I barely ever play it. Even with all the updates and expansions, I don't get much enjoyment out of it. Flying warhawks is pretty pointless without motion control (since flight and targeting are controlled independently with the analog sticks) and very difficult to do well with motion control enabled. I get most of my enjoyment from the game by taking the role of an anti-aircraft or anti-tank gunner.

The Bluetooth headset that came with Warhawk has gotten plenty of use from me with Call of Duty 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4. Recently, I retired it in favour of the headset that came with the new SOCOM game. I haven't played SOCOM at all yet since I've been busy going prestige for the 4th time in Call of Duty 4. It's a shame that SOCOM doesn't have a single player mode, either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smashy View Post
    I've had the game for months but I barely ever play it. Even with all the updates and expansions, I don't get much enjoyment out of it. Flying warhawks is pretty pointless without motion control (since flight and targeting are controlled independently with the analog sticks) and very difficult to do well with motion control enabled. I get most of my enjoyment from the game by taking the role of an anti-aircraft or anti-tank gunner.
    Warhawk flight and targeting are not controlled independently.

Your target reticule stays locked in front of your Warhawk for all weapons. Each weapon functions differently but none allow for movement of the target reticule.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Warhawk flight and targeting are not controlled independently.

Your target reticule stays locked in front of your Warhawk for all weapons. Each weapon functions differently but none allow for movement of the target reticule.
    Damn, yeah. The independent flight and targeting is the advantage with motion control (which is still tough to use). The learning curve is a little too steep for me to compete against any of the more skilled players in the skies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

When in hover mode you can swing your reticule up and down a bit (not side to side) ... but I'd hardly call that targeting that "independent" of your Warhawk vehicle.

It's not like the targeting from a tank turret which is much more independent as it has a full rotation.

Still, I'm not sure where all the negative commentary regarding the quality/ease of controls is coming from ... the game was lauded as having excellent control at launch, and they've only ever improved on that with new vehicles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From 1UP.com's review:

User-friendly control? A slightly reserved check, only because the novel -- and entirely optional -- motion controls take an awful lot of getting used to. (True, getting used to them is arguably worth the effort if you plan to focus on flight, since it frees up the analog sticks for more precise aiming in the air. But this is counterbalanced by the fact that motion control is an all-or-nothing affair: Enable it for aircraft and it's enabled for tanks and 4x4s as well, which is quite simply a pain.)
    That's essentially what I've been trying (and failing) to express. It was as true then as it is now. Try as I might, motion controls never really clicked with me for Warhawk.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just use the analog sticks, I didn't even know motion control existed on the ps3 (I completely ignored the system and just bought it for blu ray and then decided to pick up a few used games).

Nate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting seeing this thread over a year later, I have actually played Warhawk and I do think that going multiplayer only was a good choice. They made a well crafted multiplayer experience with a ton of community features and content. Overall that is better than a lousy singleplayer, which it seems Warhawk's was shaping up to be when it was in development.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I bought Warhawk the day it came out and have purchased all of the map packs that have come out since. Overall, it's a fun game but maybe 4th or 5th tier when deciding which multiplayer games to play.

I've never put the hours into this game that I have other online games simply because I never got the hang of flying the Warhawk (and actually being effective). Sure, I can fly from place to place...but against another Warhawk (or SAM), I'm done. That required me to stick to ground vehicles/foot soldier style...which is fun, but obviously done much better in other games.

Another harsh reality with this game is the steep learning curve. A few months after the game originally came out, they added a training mode. It was a decent "here's what buttons to push" type of thing, but was still way too simplistic. At this point the "regulars" are so good compared to the casual player...it can be a massacre. That kind of takes the fun out of playing.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)