Thread: Your last trip to an arcade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnysdad View Post
    The last time I was in an arcade was about 3-4 years ago I think. Its at a miniature golf place called GOLF N STUFF. I played Marvel VS Capcom 2 and beat it. The place is still there but I have no idea what games they have now. Its the only arcade anywhere near me that I know about. Kind of sad.
    Dude, isn't that where Daniel took his date in Karate Kid?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The other week, and might end up going again today. A pack of my friends migrate to the beach front even in the winter to get $5 Chicho's pizza then walk to Flipper McCoy's. They're inventory seems to never change but there's good games in there:
    1942, Time Pilot, Aero Fighters, Bust-A-Move 2, Super Mario Bros., Galaxian, Jurassic Park, Cruisin' Exotica (networked), Daytona (networked), Time Crisis 3, House of the Dead, Area 51, Mortal Kombat 2, Street Fighter 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, ... the list continues.

There's a bunch of other arcades around here too. There's nearly a dozen malls in the area each having small arcades. In downtown Norfolk they have a huge arcade at the water front (Jillians?) and another one in the McAuthur mall 4th floor. A couple of game stores around here have arcades setup, but most of the time they're turned off or aren't a good selection. Oh, and the pizza place we eat at has a Mrs. Pac-Man cab at the entrance.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    There's a bunch of other arcades around here too. There's nearly a dozen malls in the area each having small arcades.
    Wow! That's it I'm moving....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Well over a year ago, just to play some DDR with friends. And it's at a nickel arcade for 50 cents a play. Meaning YOU HAVE TO PUT TEN NICKELS IN THE MACHINE FOR 3 SONGS.

Friggin' landlocked state. All the good arcades with all the Bemani and other goodies are on the coasts. Arcade Infinity, Eight On The Break, TGA, ahhhh.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've haven't been in an arcade since last June, when I found a place in my area that had Mario Kart GP. Before then I hadn't been in an arcade in several years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kroogah View Post
    Well over a year ago, just to play some DDR with friends. And it's at a nickel arcade for 50 cents a play. Meaning YOU HAVE TO PUT TEN NICKELS IN THE MACHINE FOR 3 SONGS.
    WTF ??? I can picture people going around with 5 pounds of change in their pockets trying to play DDR

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    I've haven't been in an arcade since last June, when I found a place in my area that had Mario Kart GP. Before then I hadn't been in an arcade in several years.
    Whao whoa whoa...there's a Mario Kart arcade? I just googled it. Wow!! I had no idea! That's freaking awesome!! I've got to find one in my area! (I seriously doubt I'll be that lucky)
    Oh man...that's so cool!

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wane to Dave & Busters last weekend... never again. Overcrowded with bratty surburban kids, very few actual video games (no pinball at all), and worst of all I got food poisoning from their chicken wings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Koch View Post
    I wane to Dave & Busters last weekend... never again. Overcrowded with bratty surburban kids, very few actual video games (no pinball at all), and worst of all I got food poisoning from their chicken wings.
    Is it mostly just "redemption" or novelty games? Sorry bout the food poisoning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm lucky enough to be 10 minutes away from an arcade.

I usually go there about once a month, and it is a true arcade, none of that ticket redemption crap.

Out on Rt 17 there is a place called sports world that has indoor rides and arcade games and food, but I wouldn't call it a true arcade.

There is another kids place I went to recently that has a huge 4 story ball pit enclosure, batting cages, mini bowling, and a bunch of arcade games.

There are plenty of kids places that have a bunch of games but only the one place is still a real arcade, with teenagers hanging out at the front door and the place is open till 2am.

My fondest memory, which I've posted before, was when I was about 19 or 20. I had "Blockout" for my pc and we had it in college. I wasn't very good at it but I could get thru 5 or 6 levels without too much trouble. We got it at this local arcade and everyone was swarming it, but no one could get past the 2nd board. I put my quarter up and waited my turn. Then I rocked it to level 5 or 6 or whatever, got my name up, and left the crowd in awe!

When I was a senior in high school we would cut class and go to this arcade. I used to laugh at the guys in suits beating on the machines during their lunch hour. Now I'm the guy in the suit, getting out my agravation instead of eating.
    I'm just trying to keep from losing my mind!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some surprising responses here. I haven't been to an arcade for nearly 5 years! Not because I don't want to but more because I can't find them anymore!

The last time I was in arcade I just dropped by the old local arcade where I used to live and had been frequenting off and on since the early 90s since it was an Aladdin's Castle. I hadn't been in there for quite awhile before that but they probably had about 20 games and several more of those ticket machines and I made an interesting observation.. Out of all those games not a single one used a joystick. All guns and wheels. There was a lone pinball game though.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Does Disney World/Epcot count? If it does, than it'd be less than 4 days ago. We made a point to visit all the arcades in the parks. The missus played Disney DDR. The Electrical Light Parade remix is balls hard! (Oddly it was a Japanese board with the Euro Dancing Stage title. Any DDR experts wanna explain that to me?)

Didn't play anything else tho, just because there wasn't a lot we didn't have back at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Technosis View Post
    Is it mostly just "redemption" or novelty games? Sorry bout the food poisoning.
    It was mostly stuff that gave you tickets, like the little basketball game or skee-ball. They did have some video games, but you could count them on one hand. They didn't even have a Golden Tee or DDR.

I probably would have played some of them, but like I said it was just over-run with kids (there was a 2-hour wait to get a table to eat) - this was at 10 PM. The local gameworks bans anyone under 21 after 8PM, which is a lot nicer.
    Last edited by Neil Koch; 03-07-2007 at 08:51 AM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every Fri I go during lunch break to 2 arcades near my work to play DDR [and maybe something else that strikes my fancy]. That's about it.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

Last christmas party was at dave and busters..It was cool. Played mad games and won alot of fake jewlery lol