Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gargoyle's Quest/Gargoyle's Quest II/Demon's Crest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gargoyle's Quest/Gargoyle's Quest II/Demon's Crest

I'd actually heard of the first two games in the series before Demon's Crest was released on the SNES. Interestingly enough, the series started on the original Game Boy with Gargoyle's Quest. Gargoyle's Quest II got released on the NES.

I was wondering if anyone was into this series. I think my friend owns all three games. He let me borrow his copy of Demon's Crest some time ago and I really enjoyed it. Good action/platformer with RPG elements. Been trying to find a copy ever since but no luck. Demon's Crest is the only game in the series I've played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like Demon's Crest, though I've never finished it, but I plan to someday. I just got Gargoyle's Quest for the Game Boy about two weeks ago, and I'll get the NES one whenever I can find it at a reasonable price.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post
    I like Demon's Crest, though I've never finished it, but I plan to someday. I just got Gargoyle's Quest for the Game Boy about two weeks ago, and I'll get the NES one whenever I can find it at a reasonable price.
    You scored a copy of Gargoyle's Quest? Nice find, dude. Game Informer gave that game a 9 in Classic GI.

Does Gargoyle's Quest II fetch a high price? I saw a copy at a store I go to for old games for $8. Of course I'm sure it can be bought for lower if I look around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RegSNES View Post
    You scored a copy of Gargoyle's Quest? Nice find, dude. Game Informer gave that game a 9 in Classic GI.

Does Gargoyle's Quest II fetch a high price? I saw a copy at a store I go to for old games for $8. Of course I'm sure it can be bought for lower if I look around.
    Thanks! I got my copy for $5.99 at GameStop, and it's not hard to track down around here.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A complete copy of gargoyle's Quest II for the NES can fetch upwards of $30 on evilBay.. on a good day.. it's actually finding one that's a hassle though.

I have an excellent complete copy minus the styro insert. Searched almost a year on eB for it and I think I paid around $20 (plus S&H) for it on eB about two years ago. I was happy.

If it weren't for Demon's Crest (one of the first SNES games I wanted in my collection) and the fact that I noticed someone mention there was a prequel game.. I'd never have known. When I sold all of my NES games awhile back.. I held out about 6 of them.. GQ II was one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56 View Post
    A complete copy of gargoyle's Quest II for the NES can fetch upwards of $30 on evilBay.. on a good day.. it's actually finding one that's a hassle though.

I have an excellent complete copy minus the styro insert. Searched almost a year on eB for it and I think I paid around $20 (plus S&H) for it on eB about two years ago. I was happy.

If it weren't for Demon's Crest (one of the first SNES games I wanted in my collection) and the fact that I noticed someone mention there was a prequel game.. I'd never have known. When I sold all of my NES games awhile back.. I held out about 6 of them.. GQ II was one of them.
    $30 for a complete copy of GQII? Man. I had no idea. Guess I should be happy I can get a loose copy for $8. Matter of fact, I'm gonna cop that $8 copy after work tomorrow.

Also sinc Firebrand appears in his own series and in the Ghost 'N Goblins games, is he both a hero and a villain?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gargoyle's Quest for the Game Boy is one of my favorite original Game Boy games. The NES one doesn't quite have the charm of the original, but is still fun. I have yet to play Demon's Crest.
    "Dost thou love me?" "No" "But thou must!"

My Video Game Journal

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I'd actually heard of the first two games in the series before Demon's Crest was released on the SNES. Interestingly enough, the series started on the original Game Boy with Gargoyle's Quest. Gargoyle's Quest II got released on the NES.

I was wondering if anyone was into this series. I think my friend owns all three games. He let me borrow his copy of Demon's Crest some time ago and I really enjoyed it. Good action/platformer with RPG elements. Been trying to find a copy ever since but no luck. Demon's Crest is the only game in the series I've played.
    I used to run a website devoted to the GNG and GQ/DC series, so I guess you can say that I'm into them.

I owned all three of them for a time, but the only one I still have is Demon's Crest. I recommend tracking down GQ 1 & 2, as they're both excellent.

Also sinc Firebrand appears in his own series and in the Ghost 'N Goblins games, is he both a hero and a villain?
    Based on what I recall from the GQ/DC games, Firebrand is indeed a villain through and through. He's only interested in power, at least as of DC.

He wasn't in the GNG games, though. Those were all random Red Arremers.
    Last edited by Dire 51; 03-06-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember borrowing Gargoyle's Quest 2 from a friendd when i was a kid. I loved that game, beaten it too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Huh. Guess you can't always trust wiki for accurate info. It said Firebrand appeared in the Ghost 'N Goblins games. Though it does seem like he is always on the covers of the GNG games. At least that red demon looks an awful lot like him.

BTW, I think Firebrand is the coolest name.

Another BTW, I picked up GQII.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Huh. Guess you can't always trust wiki for accurate info. It said Firebrand appeared in the Ghost 'N Goblins games. Though it does seem like he is always on the covers of the GNG games. At least that red demon looks an awful lot like him.
    Same species. To my knowledge, Firebrand is the only Red Arremer to ever be given a name, story and personality. The Red Arremers in the G'NG games are just nameless drones.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am actually selling GQ II, CIB with all inserts, i might have part 1 as well, drop me a pm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

And speaking of my old G'NG site, the archive has resurfaced. I might be putting it on West Mansion at some point, but here it is currently:

http://mancubus.net/~cheapy/ghoulrealm/old

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I gather no one every found the Game Boy version of GQII ? I know it got a big spread in Nintendo Power back in the day.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I believe it only got a Japanese release. I've got pics of it here: http://mancubus.net/~cheapy/ghoulrealm/old/gnggq2.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Indeed. The English proto is probably still out there somewhere.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51 View Post
    And speaking of my old G'NG site, the archive has resurfaced. I might be putting it on West Mansion at some point, but here it is currently:

http://mancubus.net/~cheapy/ghoulrealm/old
    Nice site!

I played some Gargoyle's Quest II yesterday. Man, what a fun game. I'm glad it has RPG elements like Demon's Crest. Level design is nice and some of the music is already stuck in my head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Nice site!

I played some Gargoyle's Quest II yesterday. Man, what a fun game. I'm glad it has RPG elements like Demon's Crest. Level design is nice and some of the music is already stuck in my head.
    Thanks! If I do stick the archive on West Mansion, I'm going to update it with some new info.

And if you're liking GQ2 this much, you'll most likely enjoy 1 as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Ignore the old link: this one is the one you want.

http://splatterhouse.classicgaming.gamespy.com/gng/

Now freshly updated!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Necro bump because my friends and I had a Gargoyle-themed game night last month. It included watching the Disney cartoon, playing just a wee bit of Ghosts n Goblins and Super Ghouls n Ghosts (just to relive the first appearance of Firebrand), and then running simultaneous playthroughs of all three Gargoyle's Quest games. GQ2 was the first to go down, followed by GQ on Game Boy, and Demon's Crest was so long that it didn't get finished until the next morning. I was in charge of that run, and decided to go for 100% completion and fight the true final boss. It took me almost the entire next week, but after much frustration (and a little GameFaq-ing) I achieved the feat and felt very satisfied. Having done that, I felt I knew the game inside and out, and did a review on it since it's something of a sleeper hit (as mentioned in another DP thread). The review is here:

http://good-evil.net/reviews/demons-crest

Anybody who hasn't played a Gargoyle's Quest game should pick one up. Any of them will do, although I feel the SNES game is the one with the fullest quest. A somewhat unique platformer series with adventure-ish elements that offer up a very enjoyable playing experience.