Thread: "Wii is a piece of shit"

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default "Wii is a piece of shit"

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=10161

According to the Spore developer the Wii is a piece of shit hehe. This is the first time i hear someone in the gaming industry saying negative things about the Wii, only thing i've seen is praising and how great it is. I think POS is abit overboard tho. Hes onto something about the AI. AI and physics requires alot of CPU power, here Wii comes short unfortunatly, comparing to the competitors and whats today "standard". This doesnt mean you can make fun and great games of course

Also check the fanboy comments at the bottom of the article haha
    Last edited by jajaja; 03-07-2007 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the wording in the article, "trying to make a name for himself" is apt.

I'm not going to say that the Wii has superior processing power compared to the PS3 or 360, because clearly it doesn't, but he is exaggerating just a tad, especially on the notion that Nintendo doesn't treat gaming as art like Sony or Microsoft does.

Still, pretty amusing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just somebody shooting their mouth off to get attention

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i have a wii. and 360. and i agree. its a sad day when the best game on a nintendo console is a collection of lame freaking flash games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I think 'Spore' is piece of shit. Along with the rest of Maxis and EA crap. (Last good thing from Maxis was Sim City.)

I'm sorry I like my games to be fun. If I want "art", I'll go to a museum. I don't play my games on Pause.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    I'm sorry I like my games to be fun. If I want "art", I'll go to a museum. I don't play my games on Pause.
    Art isnt just pictures and things that stands still. But why not have both things? Artistic and fun games, why choose? On the other side, "art" is a pretty broad word, theres no real answer to whats art and not. Depends on the creator. So you dont need raw power to make games artisticly. Many consider games like Zelda:TP and Okami as very artistic games.
    Last edited by jajaja; 03-07-2007 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The whole "art" thing is tricky. If I say that any particular thing is art, then it is .... to me. Since what is or isnt art differs from person to person, there can be no definitive answer as to what is or isnt capable of it. On the other hand the same thing can be said about "fun." So it really can never be argued. I like my Wii. My wife LOVES it to pieces, and this guy thinks it sucks. None of us are wrong.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think 'Spore' is piece of shit. Along with the rest of Maxis and EA crap. (Last good thing from Maxis was Sim City.)
    Oh man, you are so dead to me I love Maxis to bits and pieces and I hate how EA has turned them into essentially a Sims expansion puppet company, but that doesn't change the fact that Will Wright is fucking awesome and everything he touches turns to gold. Hell, he's right up there with Sid Meier.

So what if one of the devs on the project doesn't like the Wii? That's nothing new. A lot of people have been complaining for a while that the Wii doesn't have the juice to do high end stuff (such as a console port of Spore), but those aren't really the games that are targeted for the platform (except from those bottom-tier sweatshop dev houses that get hired to do second-rate ports of games just to increase cross-platform clout).

There's probably something deeper going on here, such as this guy recently being thrown into the mix of trying to do a console port of the engine or something. Man, would that suck.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I'm just in a foul mood today, but the only piece of shit here is Chris Hecker IMO. Nintendo has been making games in one form or another since 1889, and has shipped 2 billion units of software. For someone who doesn't appear to have shipped a single commercial title to call them on the carpet seems a bit disingenuous at best.

So the Wii doesn't have the number crunching capabilities of the 360 and PS3... big whoop. So it's a glorified GameCube.... that's great, because I enjoyed Resident Evil 4 on my 'Cube a heck of a lot more than Dead Rising or GoW on my 360.

As for Sony and Microsoft paying lip service to "games as art" on their Web sites, that's just laughable. They're in this to make money, just like everyone else. If you look at the launch lineups for both systems it's pretty clear that they're targetting the lowest common denominator -- lots of sports and lots of FPS. (on the PC, replace sports with RTS and MMOs)

Sure, the rare gem will creep through like ICO or Okami, but they will be the exception as opposed to the rule. Just look at the most anticipated 360 game for this year -- Halo 3, a sequel to a sequel. And for Sony, it's MGS4 -- a sequel to a sequel to a sequel to a game that rebooted an old franchise. Neither company is exactly blazing new trails when it comes to gaming as high art.

Not saying Nintendo is any better, but at least they're trying something new with the wiimote control scheme. No there aren't any games that really take full advantage of it -- but the system has been out for less than half a year, and I think a lot of developers are playing catch-up, surprised by the staggering success of a console that was seen as a gimmicky joke by just about everyone.

As for what makes a game artful, is it simply a striking visual style or whacked out indie vibe? Is it a pretentious game developer labelling his work as such? Is it lots of swearing?

To my mind, an artful game should feature artful game play. Tetris to me is art, even though I'm not a big fan of the game. Staggeringly simple in theory, insidiously addictive in practice... oh, and it's fun.
    Last edited by GillianSeed; 03-07-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

AI and physics requires alot of CPU power, here Wii comes short unfortunatly, comparing to the competitors and whats today "standard".
    Good AI and physics (Destroy all Humans) existed last generation. The Wii is supposed to be a little better than last generation (it just hasn't shown because developers are used to PS2 development).
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

And thus ends the very first review of "Spore", a game that isn't even close to being released.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

i think some one just lost a customer that was going to buy spore.

oh well more wii games for me

Insert Coin (Level 0) marvelus10's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wii is a video game system not a suped up computer in a slim sexy case, not to mention a very smart move by Nintendo. No more sitting on your ass all night while your significant other is lonely in thier room reading a book. Put it this way how many of you get crap from thier GF's/BF's for playing to many video games on thier hyped up super computer systems (you know the 2) dont you wish they would just join you. Well get a Wii! I bet they try it once and you will be out of the shit books after the first try. You know what, shes losing weight doing it too but dont tell anyone I said so.

Dont tell me its a piece of shit.

P.S. I love my XBOX, DC, GBA, SNES and NES dont get me wrong, they are all sitting there right beside the Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And thus ends the very first review of "Spore", a game that isn't even close to being released.

I think there's another meaning in that post. Just like the poster didn't give Spore a chance, apparently the Spore developer hasn't given the Wii enough time to show what it can do.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Replace "Wii" with "PS3" and he would be a hero on this board.

I do not think it is a POS, but then again I do not think the PS3 is either.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vinnysdad
    PSN
    Vinnysdad

[QUOTE=Hep038;1144096]Replace "Wii" with "PS3" and he would be a hero on this board.

Very true.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People always rag that the PS3 is over expensive there for making it a POS, but you Wii fans go out and buy a Wii with a couple extra wiimotes and nunchucks and end up spending more than what a PS3 cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know what his definition of art is, but I can come up with plenty of examples of what I'd consider "good art" on Nintendo systems, and plenty of examples of "quick cash-ins with no attempt at artistic value" on Microsoft and Sony systems. So I really don't know where this guy is coming from. Not that the reverses can't be true as well, in that there are bad games on Nintendo systems and good games on Sony/Microsoft systems, but this stereotype he's trying to establish makes no sense at all.

Maybe he thinks art means gritty war games or other FPSes.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    I don't know what his definition of art is, but I can come up with plenty of examples of what I'd consider "good art" on Nintendo systems, and plenty of examples of "quick cash-ins with no attempt at artistic value" on Microsoft and Sony systems. So I really don't know where this guy is coming from. Not that the reverses can't be true as well, in that there are bad games on Nintendo systems and good games on Sony/Microsoft systems, but this stereotype he's trying to establish makes no sense at all.

Maybe he thinks art means gritty war games or other FPSes.
    Quick cash in's are Nintendo not Sony or MS. How many RE's/Marios/Zelda's can Nintendo cash in on? They can't even come up with new ideas, they have to keep rereleasing the same fucking crap over an over. Thats quick cash ins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

The wii is an under-powered waste of money. How it's so popular, I have NO idea. I mean, it's "cool" concept wise, but I don't know why everyone is going nuts over it when there are no exclusive games worth playing. The best game can be found and played on the cube, and... what else is there that you cant find somewhere else?

On the other hand, the ps3 and xbox360 are very similar but I enjoy both of them. My wii, the only reason I'm keeping it is because I spent $30 on virtual console games , and am hoping smash brothers and mario end up being good.

Guess I shouldn't have bought a wii since people obviously like it.