Thread: "Wii is a piece of shit"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Quote Originally Posted by Hep038 View Post
    Replace "Wii" with "PS3" and he would be a hero on this board.
    Not just this board, the entire internet.

Why? Because Xbox 360 and PS3 owners are too busy playing video games to constantly argue on the internet.

Wii owners have run out of games to play, so they have to kill time by arguing on the internet.

M-M-M-MEGA BURRRRRRRRN

(note: I only own a Wii. Have not touched it in weeks.)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Imstarryeyed's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is an old saying...

"It's a sorry musician that blames his instrument."

Meaning if you don't have the skill to play an instrument correctly then don't blame the instrument.

It is sad that piss poor developers are so used to slapping games together with top heavy tools that they forgot how to make games great.

I say Heckler should move his code to Assembly and stop whining about having problems putting his bloated code on a console.

One day we will realize that throwing hardware at software problems is not the way.. training programmers to do their job better is the way!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Imstarryeyed View Post
    There is an old saying...

"It's a sorry musician that blames his instrument."

Meaning if you don't have the skill to play an instrument correctly then don't blame the instrument.
    True enough, but its not quite the same. If you play a guitar the only limitation is how skilled the player is. When it comes to making games you have limitation to the hardware. You cant practice and practice coding and in the end be able to make like a GoW game for the Wii, its simply not possible. You can only optimize the code so much and push so much out of the hardware until it says stop.

I think thats the whole issue here, this Spore guy wants to make some stuff thats not possible on the Wii due to the hardware limitation, which pisses him off for some reason. Altho most of what he say is true, its the way he say it thats unproffesional.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

He has a point.

Wii games are fairly gimmicky and trivial, with little in the way of meaning or depth to them.

But then again:

This is coming from a guy who works for the evil empire that churns out Madden MCLXVI + 1 every year.

The stones and glass houses phrase comes to mind.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnFan View Post
    People always rag that the PS3 is over expensive there for making it a POS, but you Wii fans go out and buy a Wii with a couple extra wiimotes and nunchucks and end up spending more than what a PS3 cost.
    Where the fuck you learn to add? Lol, j/k

But seriously, A wiimote+ Nunchuck=$60, so $249+$60+$60=$369

$599 for a PS3, minus $369=$230. With another $19, I can get another Wii!

Hell, we could still play the old "Well, if you bought two more controllers for the PS3, it's be X dollars more" card too.

I'm gonna wait until PS3s are $75 like 3DOs were after a while, heh heh (wish I bought one of them then too).

-Rob
    Last edited by rbudrick; 03-08-2007 at 05:06 PM.
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    I find it completely insane that a person(or people) would immediately decide they don't want a game because a member of said title's dev team talked shit about a particular gaming console.
    Some people still haven't forgiven Itagaki for his Tekken comments

AND FOR RAPE OL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Man some of these people that have posted seem very stupid. Most of them don't seem to have thought deep into what they are going to say before they post it.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

For Maxis games I've played - Sim City, Sim City 2000, Sim Earth, Sim Ant.

Sim City was fun. Sim City 2000 was a nice idea with the expansion of the basic concept from the original game.

Sim Earth, well the game plays in real time, as in I never got anything done in the game.

Sim Ant-didn't spent enough time in the game, though it has potential.

I am not a Nintendo fan boy. Had he bashed the PS3 I would have said the same thing.

The general idea is that games are a form of entertainment that is to be played. The most important feature in a game should be GAME PLAY! Sound, graphics, special effects, etc. are there only to enhance the game play experience.

Games as art? I believe that art can be contained in games. Its another one of those things that enhance the game play experience.

I enjoy my PS3, Wii, and 360. I PLAY games.

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    I am not a Nintendo fan boy.

I PLAY games.
    I hear you dood! I'm all about gameplay>graphics. One of the reasons I support the Wii over the ps3 and 360 is because of that. And it is the reason I enjoyed the ps2 so much.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chicnstu View Post
    Good AI and physics (Destroy all Humans) existed last generation. The Wii is supposed to be a little better than last generation (it just hasn't shown because developers are used to PS2 development).

Exactly what I was thinking. Anyone who played "Halo 2" on Legendary mode knows the AI was ruthless on that game. Wii is more powerfull than that, so I guess I don't understand what more you need.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The apology

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

aka "I already said what I wanted to. Lol pwnt!!!1" Yeah, I bet he's going to be thinking about other people a bit more from now on, heh. There was a core of truth to his statements, but maybe he could have come up with a better way of putting it together.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    Well, you took the time to post 2 times and do some arguing + you probly read the whole article so it looks to me that you do care hehe
    Like I said, I didn't mess with the article because the word 'shit' indicated a total lack of depth, was in probability written by a fanboy, and therefore a waste of my time, which is better spent posting multiple times in the same thread, hehe. !

Mark

P.S. And I stand by my comment on Myst. It may be art, but it ain't a game, hehe. It bored me to tears. Years ago I saw a copy of a spoof on Myst called Pyst. I wish I had bought a copy. Hehe.
    "We've come for your daughter Chuck"

-Beetlejuice

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by marvelus10 View Post
    No more sitting on your ass all night while your significant other is lonely in thier room reading a book.
    What, you mean you've finally tired of the Wii and now you're spending some quality time together instead? No wait, that couldn't be right. You're no longer *sitting* while playing your Wii, and your girlfriend couldn't read with all the ruckus going on so she went out with friends?

(Dude, you know you could set down whatever controller you want to use and spend some quality time with the girlfriend instead. You know, like maybe engaging her in something that interests her, as opposed to buying the perfect console that she'll love too!)
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Imstarryeyed View Post
    One day we will realize that throwing hardware at software problems is not the way.. training programmers to do their job better is the way!
    Will Wright realized that years ago, good sir. I think you need to realize that it's possible for games to require substantially more hardware than the Wii provides to fulfill the designer's vision.

For instance, it's great that people still do Amiga demos, but they just don't compare to PC equivalents (regardless of how well Starstruck scored overall based on hype). Look at Chaos Theory and Dead Ringer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by cessnaace View Post
    Like I said, I didn't mess with the article because the word 'shit' indicated a total lack of depth, was in probability written by a fanboy, and therefore a waste of my time, which is better spent posting multiple times in the same thread, hehe. !

Mark

P.S. And I stand by my comment on Myst. It may be art, but it ain't a game, hehe. It bored me to tears. Years ago I saw a copy of a spoof on Myst called Pyst. I wish I had bought a copy. Hehe.
    Awesome.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cessnaace View Post
    I agree there, he wasnt very proffesional when he said it. But its also hard for us to know what tone he had when he said it. Maybe he was just joking around. The article makes it looks like hes dead serious when he says it, atleast thats one way you can understand the article.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've played the Wii a bit and honestly, it's REALLY overrated.

The only thing the system has going for it is the Wiimote and the downloadable classics games.

Unfortunately, the classics games list is severely lacking, will not be 100% until maybe 5 years from now (they'll be released in trickles, no doubt to make people buy every version of Donkey Kong Country and Mario at various times) and the Wiimote is NOT that accurate. You can bowl or swing a bat by moving your hand fractions of an inch. And even if it can measure motion, it doesn't seem to do a good job measuring speed of motion (try throwing a ball really hard in baseball and see if the speed doesn't randomly fluctuate even if you throw it REALLY hard or REALLY slow).

In fact, the Wiimote is being used WAY too much to promote the system. I played Zelda Twilight Princess on the Wii and the control setup is RETARDED. Moving my hand to swing a sword? WTF? Using the awkwardly placed D-pad simultaneously w/ the B button and nunchuck to do simple actions? No, thank you. A perfect example of a game that needlessly was given Wiimote attributes just for the hell of it.

Plus, the system is $249.99!

It's already been established that the system is only a tad more powerful than a Gamecube and Nintendo's admitted they're getting a profit on every unit sold...so WHY on Earth should I have to spend $250 on a piece of technology 5 years old!?!?!?

Just watch folks - you'll see by next Christmas - Wii's steam will begin to run out and when people have their fill of crappy visuals (for the price and what other systems are capable of) and misleading downloadable content, you'll see a big drop-off in consumer interest.

Wiilovers, you can hate me for my post, but it's the truth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan View Post
    Moving my hand to swing a sword? WTF?
    Yeah, where's the analogy in that?

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan View Post
    I've played the Wii a bit and honestly, it's REALLY overrated.

The only thing the system has going for it is the Wiimote and the downloadable classics games.
    Well I guess that's enough for consumers -- it took Microsoft a year to sell 10 million units, whereas the Wii is already up around 5 million+.

Unfortunately, the classics games list is severely lacking, will not be 100% until maybe 5 years from now (they'll be released in trickles, no doubt to make people buy every version of Donkey Kong Country and Mario at various times)
    Why does it have to be 100% right out of the gate? I've been pretty pleased with the pace and selection of releases -- it far outstrips that of Xbox Live Arcade, they've gone weeks without a single release. Splatterhouse for the TG-16 is coming this month for crying out loud, how can that not be cool?

and the Wiimote is NOT that accurate. You can bowl or swing a bat by moving your hand fractions of an inch. And even if it can measure motion, it doesn't seem to do a good job measuring speed of motion (try throwing a ball really hard in baseball and see if the speed doesn't randomly fluctuate even if you throw it REALLY hard or REALLY slow).
    Well see, most folks aren't capable of throwing 90mph fastballs -- so yeah, it would be a pretty lame game if it only allowed you to throw pitches that you were capable of throwing in real life.

Also bear in mind that Wii Sports is a launch title, you make it sound like there will be no refinement of the controls.

In fact, the Wiimote is being used WAY too much to promote the system. I played Zelda Twilight Princess on the Wii and the control setup is RETARDED. Moving my hand to swing a sword? WTF? Using the awkwardly placed D-pad simultaneously w/ the B button and nunchuck to do simple actions? No, thank you. A perfect example of a game that needlessly was given Wiimote attributes just for the hell of it.
    Well, yes -- it started out life as a GameCube game, so of course it doesn't make the most of the Wiimote.

It's already been established that the system is only a tad more powerful than a Gamecube and Nintendo's admitted they're getting a profit on every unit sold...so WHY on Earth should I have to spend $250 on a piece of technology 5 years old!?!?!?
    So if you were running a company you'd happily sell your product at a loss, is that it? That's why Nintendo is still around, they're profitable. If a product is overpriced it tends to sit on the shelf collecting dust -- see the PS3. And it's still cheaper than the competition, and it comes with a game and built-in WiFi.

Just watch folks - you'll see by next Christmas - Wii's steam will begin to run out and when people have their fill of crappy visuals (for the price and what other systems are capable of) and misleading downloadable content, you'll see a big drop-off in consumer interest.
    Well, people were saying that it would be easy to find last Christmas too, didn't exactly work out that way. Then people were saying that interest would drop off in January, hasn't happened yet. And remember that most of their big guns are coming out later in the year, like Metroid and Mario. The real question is, will they catch Microsoft by 2008?

As for being "underpowered" -- the Wii is clearly aimed at the casual gamer, they don't care about polygon counts and pixel shading, they're confused by controllers with two sticks, a d-pad and 12 buttons. They just want something that's simple and fun for the whole family, and Wii Sports delivered that in spades.

And how is the downloadable content misleading? They sold 1.5 million games by the end of of January, so they must be doing something right.

Wiilovers, you can hate me for my post, but it's the truth.
    No, it's an opinion.
    Last edited by GillianSeed; 03-10-2007 at 07:21 AM.