Thread: Fixing sticky controller buttons

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Fixing sticky controller buttons

I just got a Logitech Wireless Precision controller in a trade today but the buttons stick pretty badly on it. I took it apart and cleaned everything but they are still sticking for some reason. Anyone got some tips?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe the buttons are a tad to big for the holes? I had that problem with a NES advantage (official NES arcade joystick), the buttons would sorta stick/get stuck sometimes when i pressed them. I had to grind around the button holes and after that it worked without a problem

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you figure it out tell me I have 2 PS2 wireless logitec's with the same problem on the D-Pad....I think they're actually worn out, as I bought them new and used them till the pad started sticking. I tried cleaning them too, but I think it's the plactic pieces or springs in the actual workings that are worn and causing the problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I know what the problem is but I'm not quite sure on how to fix it.

After taking the controller apart, it looks like the little nub on the rubber pad that's underneath the buttons is worn down. Specifically, the part that makes contact with the circuit board. It should have a dull texture like the other buttons but this one is smooth & glossy, so it wants to stick to the contacts on the board whenever it's pressed down.

What would be the best way to fix this? I gotta try and make this nub not smooth and glossy anymore, but I'm not sure how.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    What would be the best way to fix this? I gotta try and make this nub not smooth and glossy anymore, but I'm not sure how.
    Try a little dab of hot glue. That should stick nicely with the worn rubber button and not cause any damage with the sensor. A hot glue gun can work wonders. You could pick a small one up with some glue sticks at Walmart for $4-5.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the tip. Have you tried this yourself though? I'm just worried that I can do irreversible damage to the controller if I screw it up with a glue gun.

I just tried putting little squares of electrical tape on the contact nubs but that just made things worse because the buttons wouldn't work at all after that unless I pressed REALY hard on the button.

I don't understand how the button contacts on the board work. I thought that as long as any kind of pressure is put on them, it'll register. That's obviously not the case though.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i had this problem with the xbox360 controller today. I dont know how the buttons got sticky, but there was some residue on the sides of the button shafts that was making the buttons slow coming back up.

was a total pain in the ass getting that thing open. spent 12 bucks on a set of torx screw drivers that weren't even the right ones. had to improvise because of the special security type screws they use in the wireless controllers. but i got it cleaned. sure beats spending 50 on a new controller.