Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is It Hard To Get Into Newer Games?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is It Hard To Get Into Newer Games?

I'm just curious because I only have a few gaming friends I talk with on a fairly regular basis.

Do any of you struggle with getting into "newer" video games? When I say "newer" I mean titles coming out for the PS3/360/Wii/DS/PSP.

I even had a hard time getting excited about any titles in the last generation of systems --- to me, as a gamer who had his most in-depth gaming time in the early to late 90s, I feel like I've seen all there is gameplay wise. Newer games may be prettier...and some may have somewhat "new" concepts (The Wiimote is a novel idea in my opinion but games have been using motion-type control for years just in maybe limited form - Samba De Amigo, DC Fishing Controller, DK Bongo Set, etc.) but in all honesty, I don't really get excited by these newer games.

I'm feeling like maybe this is why I find more pleasure in collecting now than actual game playing. It's hard for me to sit down and play hours with a Wii or stay glued to Elder Scrolls Oblivian.

Maybe I'm just weird

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not wierd to me...I've been feeling the same way. I think it's mostly because anything that comes out now is either a FPS or a sandbox game. Not saying that FPS's or sandbox games can't be fun, but if you don't want to play one of those 2, you don't have a lot of options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^
    tell me about it
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i really get into new games & older games . most of the games ive been playing lately are either on the 360 or the ps3 . mostly everything is the same just different scenarios . but to me as a gamer i love all games new & old .

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sometimes i get discouraged from a lot of newer games. I miss the run and jump, one path type of platform/adventure games that never come out anymore. It seems like every game these days, there is an area with locked doors, you have to figure a way out, and you move to the next area with locked doors, and figure out the puzzle to get to the next room. Everything seems to play out in small sections,which is not very adventurous to me.

Crackdown has been a lot of fun for me lately because of the jumping aspect of the game, but really, you can't die from falling so much.

I just miss the old days sometimes, but I wouldn't trade some of my newer games for the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan View Post

I'm feeling like maybe this is why I find more pleasure in collecting now than actual game playing. It's hard for me to sit down and play hours with a Wii or stay glued to Elder Scrolls Oblivian.

Maybe I'm just weird
    I am exactly the same. I was so excited about oblivion, but just couldnt get into it like I use to with games. Even with the PS2, I picked up madden and burnout revenge, but havent even played those in a month or so.

I bought Prey this winter for my PC. Its the first game I have played all the way through in I dont remember how many years.

I spent hundreds of hours playing Diablo 2, asherons call and world of warcraft. At least with gaming I have something to show for the effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I don't have any problems getting into the newer games, but I find myself playing the classics fairly often as well. Never underestimate the powers of nostalgia...

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a slight problem getting into some newer games, but I really have to look at it like this:

If i were to limit myself to just "classic" games, video gaming for me would eventually become stagnant. There are only a finite number of older games and not all of them are good games. I admit that getting excited about newer games is a tad more difficult, but I have found games that I like just as much as some of my older favorites.

I would rather try out newer games and continue enjoying new experiences/challenges with this hobby than sit around playing only Genesis games & complaining that gaming isn't as fun as it used to be.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find it near impossible to get into new games. They're so far away from what I've always known as "video games", and they simply don't interest me. I find many of them boring (Do the same repetetive walking around for 40 hours) and they take too damn long. I've always been excited about new developments in video games, up until the Playstation came out. I knew I didn't like all that 3D polygon crap, and it looked like that's where everything was headed. I feel like the gaming industry has left me behind; I want to be involved, but not with this stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Actually I've been fairly impressed with the gaming experience of new titles. I picked up a 360 last year and have been VERY impressed with games like Burnout Revenge and Gears of War. That said one aspect of many modern games that I don't care for is that some of them aren't made to be picked up and played for a short time...say 10 minutes. This is why I liked the SFII series or say Ms. Pacman for instance...you can pick it up and play a quick round or two and get instant action.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Honestly, I have not played a "new" game since 2004, maybe 2005. Games from today's era have basically zero impact on me and I'm not interested in them whatsoever. That's just how I am, and I completely understand I'm limiting myself by playing largely only Saturn/SNES. But I look at it this way: there are only so many games you can play. I find it very satisfying to focus on one system you truly love, and squeezing the most out of it.

so topic creator, you certainly are not alone.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

I've been a member here since early 2001. (used to be on EZBoard, the July 2002 date reflects the switch to vBulletin)

I can faintly recall reading this exact same topic, only it was about PS2/Xbox/Gamecube. And the Game Boy Advance ("Oh yet another Game Boy to buy, whoop dee doo Nintendo")

Keep in mind, the Wii and PS3 are pretty damn new. Look at Gamecube: What was there when the thing was new? A bunch of average/quirky titles (Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Wave Race) and 1 all-time classic (Smash Bruthas Melee) Look at PS2: that launch had Madden 2001, SSX, and Tekken Tag, and that was about it.

But now, 6 years later, you could probably make a list of 100 great PS2 games.

I try not to limit myself; I recently traded off my Xbox 360 because I couldn't stand any of the games I bought...but I'll probably pick one up again after a price drop or 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I.. sort of agree.

An awful lot of new games have been using the same old gameplay mechanics over and over again and sticking a new coat of paint on things to the point where they've become really really boring. My usual example here is Resident Evil 4. Going back and playing RE: Survivor the other day with the pad it struck me just how much these two games have in common. RE4 offered pretty graphics, but when it came to actually playing the game there were hardly any revolutionary leaps forward.

But then, it all depends on what you like. I'm actually fairly excited about quite a few games at the moment, first and foremost Bioshock and then Alan Wake, Heavy Rain and games of that ilk. I have a big soft spot for story driven / adventurey type games. Chances are that with time there'll be something you like out, even if it is just a refinement of a genre you love. Until then, sit back and wait for the prices to drop!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan View Post
    I'm just curious because I only have a few gaming friends I talk with on a fairly regular basis.

Do any of you struggle with getting into "newer" video games? When I say "newer" I mean titles coming out for the PS3/360/Wii/DS/PSP.
    Sounds like a case of nostalgia. Sure times change, but there are plenty of great games out there. If you're a fan of Marvel Comics, for example, you need to try Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. And the DS has tons of great stuff, including some games that would appeal to those who yearn for genres past like the adventure game. (Phoenix Wright series, Hotel Dusk, etc)

The Wii wasn't designed to be played for hours on end, it's aimed at casual gamers and group play. As for Oblivion, Morrowind bored me to tears so I never tried it. Sandbox games to me are exceedingly dull -- there are probably some good ones out there, but I prefer to have set objectives that lead the player on a coherent path toward an ultimate goal.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    I.. sort of agree.

An awful lot of new games have been using the same old gameplay mechanics over and over again and sticking a new coat of paint on things to the point where they've become really really boring.
    Yes to an extent the old days offered more in the way of innovation, but that's usually the case when a new medium emerges -- and for every Pac-man, a dozen clones popped up, so things haven't changed all that much.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    I find it near impossible to get into new games. They're so far away from what I've always known as "video games", and they simply don't interest me. I find many of them boring (Do the same repetetive walking around for 40 hours) and they take too damn long.
    I know what you mean about many of today's games requiring a significant investment of time -- that's why I like the DS, its designed with casual gaming in mind. Want to pause, just shut the case the game goes into sleep mode.

But games where you walked around for 40 hours were available in the 80s too -- Wizardry, Ultima, The Bard's Tale, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GillianSeed View Post
    Yes to an extent the old days offered more in the way of innovation, but that's usually the case when a new medium emerges -- and for every Pac-man, a dozen clones popped up, so things haven't changed all that much.
    I didn't mean to suggest that things had changed, nor did I mean to sing the praises of 'the good old days' when everything was shiny and happy and great because as far as I can work out that period of time never actually existed.

Simply trying to say that to me things were starting to feel a big stagnant. The jump from 2D to 3D changed gaming, but I feel like I've been re-playing an awful lot of the same 3D games since the dawn of the PS1 (seriously, it took how long to get the controls in Tomb Raider right?) As things stand, there's sort of a light at the end of the tunnel. Well, if you like the same sort of things as me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the pick-up-and-play aspect of gaming is all but gone anymore. you have to sit through cut scenes, storylines, and tutorials for at least 20 minutes on pretty much any modern game and i frankly cannot commit that kindof time to get into something every day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    the pick-up-and-play aspect of gaming is all but gone anymore. you have to sit through cut scenes, storylines, and tutorials for at least 20 minutes on pretty much any modern game and i frankly cannot commit that kindof time to get into something every day.
    The worst I've seen recently is the game Okami on the PS2. At least 20 minutes of the most verbose anime "back and forth" conversations. Thankfully I could save it afterwards

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

I feel a lot like the OP. I just really dig the older consoles better. Of the new stuff, I like the Wii and LOVE my DS. I play the new stuff more casually and so those 2 systems fit well.

On the other side of new games, though, there are several really great PC games that are out now. I love playing WoW, Titan Quest, Company of Heroes and Battlefield 2. Supreme Commander is also awesome though I haven't played it much yet. I also play a lot of the older PC games like Quake 1, Diablo 2 and any of the old lucasarts games.

So, as far as consoles go, I like the older stuff better but I love old and new PC games. I hope that the next gen of consoles will actually be fun to play and not focus strictly on graphics. I'm all for graphics but just look at the PS2 to see a lot of pretty games that absolutely blow. When I had my 360, I bought about 13 games and only really played 2. Same difference for me.