Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Where Should the Next DP Videogames Store Be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

As much as I would like to see a DP store here in Charlotte, I would have to say the retro-gaming community isn't that strong in this area (at least from what I have seen in the past). Maybe the ATL or around Baltimore, or more specifically Aberdeen Maryland

PSN: SouthRox

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dan: Dominick's is owned by Safeway now, but that is besides the point. I see where you are going with it...You can not compare two completely different industries, one, which involves groceries at only a 2.5% margin, and uber niche classic game stores. I'm glad he is asking, because we are part of the market, and he is just getting a wide variety of ideas. I lived in IL once myself (Chicago) and before Sean's store, Windy City Game Exchange was the best classic store to go to, but the prices were OUT OF CONTROL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto19XX View Post
    There is a small independant chain around here called Power Gamer, they deal mainly in current imports, but have a decent chunk of classic games as well.
    This shouldn't be a concern as they are highly overpriced and I am sure Joe's prices would put them out of business. Last time I walked into one of those they had a FF2 SNES cart for $60 and a SMB/DH cart for $12.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

You say you want to be near the Gamestop / EBs of the world? Come to Columbus Ohio. There are 26 (roughly) of them here within 30 miles. 2 in the same mall even... can't get much closer than that

I will also say that all my favorite classic gaming sources have either gone under, or abandoned the classics. Plus there are lots of chances to make perverted ads using Ohio States giant block O logo.

Good luck with the expansion / worldwide domination tour.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    Dan: Dominick's is owned by Safeway now, but that is besides the point. I see where you are going with it...You can not compare two completely different industries, one, which involves groceries at only a 2.5% margin, and uber niche classic game stores. I'm glad he is asking, because we are part of the market, and he is just getting a wide variety of ideas. I lived in IL once myself (Chicago) and before Sean's store, Windy City Game Exchange was the best classic store to go to, but the prices were OUT OF CONTROL.
    uh, I work for the chain, started in melrose park,il lake and manhein (right by the bridge)went to Oak park when they closed melrose park down( I know windy city exchange right down the sterrt from the oak park dominicks I stoped there a couple time waiting for the bus,then they moved to the swap- a-rama flea market in melrose park,il.) now I'm in the westchester store.
    So I know all about the dominicks chain,met mr Dimato in person when he came to our store(nice guy), was there when they sold the chain to yupicca
    and was there during the big contact disbute few years back. so don't get in my face about the chain.
    back on subject:
    asking us is ok as we are the gaming public,but the choice has to be joe's he take our opions and do more research on the areas we suguseted.
    that is all I'm saying Do more research.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about just outside of Boston, like Cambridge MA? Many, many college students in the area and the rent prices are fair depending on where you were looking to locate. Also, its fairly close to your first store but far enough away that it would not overlap with traffic from that store.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

If you want to put your store where people have a disposable income, why not try las vegas nevada?

tons of people who need money quick will sell off thier game stuff for booze/gambling/whore money on a regular basis, theres also two college campuses in the area (henderson as well) lots of well off rich people with money to burn and you know..its vegas.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Iacovelli View Post
    uh, I work for the chain, started in melrose park,il lake and manhein (right by the bridge)went to Oak park when they closed melrose park down( I know windy city exchange right down the sterrt from the oak park dominicks I stoped there a couple time waiting for the bus,then they moved to the swap- a-rama flea market in melrose park,il.) now I'm in the westchester store.
    So I know all about the dominicks chain,met mr Dimato in person when he came to our store(nice guy), was there when they sold the chain to yupicca
    and was there during the big contact disbute few years back. so don't get in my face about the chain.
    back on subject:
    asking us is ok as we are the gaming public,but the choice has to be joe's he take our opions and do more research on the areas we suguseted.
    that is all I'm saying Do more research.
    Dan, the Windy City one I referred to was in the North Side of Chicago. I'm not getting in your face about the chain, I am just stating you can't compare the two industries, and I am sure Joe is going to do plenty of research.

Blitzwing: as much as Vegas has grown, they have at least 4-5 classic game stores in the city.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say Augusta, GA there's 5 Gamestops/EB/Rhino stores and 1 play n trade. Also, if a game store was put closer to Fort Gordon, sales should be good as being closer to the Military gamers.

Should note that PnT is the only classic store, but its really weak on inventory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perhaps you could expand slowly toward the west (and south), one region at a time (i.e. Midwest, Southeast, South Central, etc.), finding a strategic and central location in each region. I'd suggest the Midwest next, and since you're (understandably) not going to go to Illinois, how about Indiana? I would think Indianapolis would be a strategic location, though I admit I don't know anything about it. But I will second Captain Wrong's suggestion.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scrimble
    PSN
    Scrimble

Congratulations on your sucess Joe. How about a store in Fishkill NY? Yeah... I know nobodys heard of it. About an hour and 20 minutes from Clifton NJ. Theres a few hotels(one being built at the moment) and I-84 runs right through town so there's always people passing through. I'm not sure what the demand for games around here would be since there's no stores until you get to the Poughkeepsie area.

Theres a Gamestop and an EB in the local mall, and another Gamestop litterally 2 minutes away. The only store to grab classics is a store that also sells paintball, comics,arisoft, and other hobbies. They don't really pay attention to the classic gaming except to charge alot of money, and to give you pennies for your trade-ins.

Marist and Dutchess colleges are within a 30 minute drive so that may be a good thing.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    Dan, the Windy City one I referred to was in the North Side of Chicago. I'm not getting in your face about the chain, I am just stating you can't compare the two industries, and I am sure Joe is going to do plenty of research.

Blitzwing: as much as Vegas has grown, they have at least 4-5 classic game stores in the city.
    ok, but I do remembera game store in oak park when Iworked at the dominicks
    (which right down the street from Austin city limits btw,I know because they sent down there to pick up loose carts) back them you can't compare the grocery stores to game stores, now grocery chains are selling videos and dvds
    and prob other items. Oak park is as close to chicago you can get with out getting to the city. sounds like your deciding for joe where it should be.
    what ever joe decieds I'm sure he will do ok, look at what he did with his first store. another idea is to expand his current store instead of just looking for another store.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Somewhere in the Hudson Valley in NY would be great, like Wappingers Falls, or Poughkeepsie, as long as your located on, or near Rt 9. Theres two Gamestops in Wappingers that hire anybody and have no knowledge of there products besides Halo, and theres only one store that sells vintage games around here called the Dragons Den, but its not really there specialty, and don't have a very big selection, but they sell a lot of what they do have, so theres already a big market here. The area is growing really fast, a lot of people are moving in and there are housing developments everywhere now. The other nice thing about the location is that its right near i84, so its easy to get to from anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

Now that I think of it, maybe Mooresville or Huntersville NC (about 30 miles north of Charlotte). Both of these areas are growing at an exponential rate. They are both right on the lake, where all the rich people live. Its a very nice area. Competition wise there is an EB and a Gamestop in Huntersville and an EB in Moorsville, but none of them sell anyting pre PS2 now Interstate 77 runs directly through both of the towns, plus I-85 isn't too far away. It is definitely the "happening" place to be. Not to mention Moorsville/Cornelius is the NASCAR capital of the world (many NASCAR teams make there home here, include DEI)

Of course with current gen stuff, it might be a little tougher, but with pre PS2, as far as I know there is nobody around that sells it
    Last edited by Mattiekrome; 03-11-2007 at 10:29 PM.

PSN: SouthRox

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didnt see Scrimble's post probably because i was typing it when he posted, but it just goes to show that there are a lot of people intrested in classic games around here. Wappingers is right in the middle of Poughkeepsie and Fishkill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scrimble
    PSN
    Scrimble

Quote Originally Posted by xsegatasanshirox View Post
    I didnt see Scrimble's post probably because i was typing it when he posted, but it just goes to show that there are a lot of people intrested in classic games around here. Wappingers is right in the middle of Poughkeepsie and Fishkill.

Heh well let's just say I know a few people who would be willing to help out...

Strawberry (Level 2) Drag0nsfyre's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Washington state. Spokane to be exact.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Silljo View Post
    My suggestion is obviously biased, but here in Washington Pa it would be great. We have EB and CD Warehouse for used games, but only in the current gen. There is no shop here to trade or buy carts. The EB in McMurray used to before EB stopped doing that and a lot of people here in Washington made a special trip there because the nearest place after that would be 40 minutes to an hour from Washington as opposed to 20 from McMurray. A lot of new stores have been opening here and we've a burst of economic activity, but nothing in this genre. The need certainly exist here.
    ha, acually i'll second washington PA to, even closer for me. you mean the EB at donaldsons crossroads? its was a godsend when they put that there for me since i work next door to it. driveing to robinson was tireing. as for classic gameing though your right. theres not much in the way of it in the tri-state area except maybe in Pittsburgh or Trader Jacks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    IT4CH1 UCH1HA
    PSN
    kaleidescope

i agree with scrimble and segatasanshiro, the wappingers,poughkeepsie area has the usual gamestop and EB where they only have current titles and employees who are basically trained to con you into pre-ordering a game you don't even want, so a digitpress around here might fare well , as far as the local store to get vintage games from , they base their pricing according to ebay and give less than yard sale value for trade in's ,plus the stock of classic gaming is extemely low , perhaps the variety than digitpress can provide would reel in more costumers, segatasanshiro, scrimble, lucid defender, and myself all live locally so we would be more than glad to lend a hand if needed.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey if you want an a nice area in desperate need a good games store, you gotten bring it to CT. Trust me, this place is a baron wasteland for old games. Sure, we have our EBGames and GameStops here and there, but nothing that sells anything older than PS2 games. You would virtually be running a monopoly out here. The only place to get games right now is eBay and MIRACLE finds at thrift shops. Either they never sold video games in CT until the late 90's, or no one's giving up their old stuff.

I'm from the Norwich/New London area, but even I can be honest and tell you that that's no place for a game store like yours. That best spot is to New Haven area-- you have huge commercial locations throughout the area; just check out Route 1 through West Haven, Milford, etc. (You definitely don't want it in New Haven; but the towns surrounding it are perfect.) It's fairly close to where you are now without being too close. (Until you're running a huge multi-store business, you definitely don't to own a store that you're 3000 miles away from). The closest classic game store is ridiculously far from that area. There are only one or two GameStops in the area too, and they suck.

You got plenty of people from all demographics; and it's one of the biggest New England college towns outside of Boston. Like Jersey, it is also densely populated so you have a huge customer base. Unlike a lot of the people on here saying to come to "My Hometown", I'll telling you a place that's way over an hour from where a live (despite that fact that i probably sound like the mayor right now). Just think it'd be a brilliant place for a store if someone would finally give it a try.