Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorstorm Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Motorstorm Thread

I have been chomping at the bit for this one since I played a demo at a Game Stop. Now that I'm reading the reviews, I'm thinking that it's more like a $40 title. For $60, I had better be playing a game inside and out. Seems like online would be critical to get your money's worth.

I just don't do alot of online multiplayer. If I have to wait and carve out a good game, fuggetaboutit. I just want to link up and play. Seems Xbox Live is still 2 up on PS3 Online. And without multiplayer local/splitscreen, my interest level drastically drops.

I'll be waiting until I find it at the flea market or used for $40 or less.

Anyone pick this one up and have comments? Change my opinion maybe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

I was actual lucky enough to get it for $38. CompUSA was going out of business near me and had 40% off the entire store. They had one last copy of Genji that I was able to grab for $38 after the price slash. I went in to my local EB yesterday and got an even exchange for Motorstorm.

So far, I'm loving it. Great controls, great course design. I'll probably try online tonight--and I'll let you know what its like Anyone else wanna race this evening?
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also played the demo and didn't see what the big deal was about. This was a while ago too and before all the Motorstorm hype started. Reminded me exactly of SSX & Smugglers Run....2 other near-lauch Playstation games with over-the-top action and shallow gameplay basically made to show off what the system can do.

Not saying I thought it was a bad game, just nothing special that I haven't already played a hundred times before on other consoles.
    Last edited by norkusa; 03-12-2007 at 10:07 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I play it a lot at work and have noticed some problems with it. Sometimes when landing from a jump the game would glitch and my bike would go through and under the ground and explode(this happened a few times). One other thing that happened was when I started the match...the title screen song was still playing and there was none of the gameplay sound. I don't know what caused the glitches...either the game or the PS3...or maybe it was just because it was demo. I'm not sure.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Habeeb Hamusta View Post
    I play it a lot at work and have noticed some problems with it. Sometimes when landing from a jump the game would glitch and my bike would go through and under the ground and explode(this happened a few times). One other thing that happened was when I started the match...the title screen song was still playing and there was none of the gameplay sound. I don't know what caused the glitches...either the game or the PS3...or maybe it was just because it was demo. I'm not sure.
    The demo was released before the game (EU/US version atleast) was done. All games do have some bugs tho
    Last edited by jajaja; 03-12-2007 at 03:44 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    I also played the demo and didn't see what the big deal was about. This was a while ago too and before all the Motorstorm hype started. Reminded me exactly of SSX & Smugglers Run....2 other near-lauch Playstation games with over-the-top action and shallow gameplay basically made to show off what the system can do.

Not saying I thought it was a bad game, just nothing special that I haven't already played a hundred times before on other consoles.
    You should wipe the crud off your glasses. The graphics make the game. The mud effects, the way you leave tire tracks in the course, the draw-dstance(did you ever look behind u during a race and see the other racers way back?)All those things make the experience.

Your like my brother, who has no appreciation for graphics. He just looked at Motorstrom and said, "okay, it's an off road racer, which i've played a dozen times before" He doesn't actually look at what is going on in the game, he just looks at it for what it is , a racer.
    Last edited by SaturnFan; 03-12-2007 at 04:47 PM.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

And here I always thought that gameplay made the game. What a fool I've been.

Ok, shiny graphics and online play. What else does the game have going for it? SELL ME ON MOTORSTORM!!!!!!
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post

Ok, shiny graphics and online play. What else does the game have going for it? SELL ME ON MOTORSTORM!!!!!!
    You can punch people off bikes and atv's. It's a very stait forward off road racer, very redneckish. No souping up cars an shit, just muddy off road carnage. What else do you want? If thats not enough, play Need for Speed and don't look back.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Without gfx there wouldnt be any gameplay. Gfx and sound enhance the gameplay, otherwise it would be no point in improving it.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

No thanks on Need for Speed, I'm a Project Gotham 3 kind of guy.

Thanks for the extra info. It seems to fall short of what I was hoping for, but if it makes you happy then more power to you.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't like the Motorstorm demo, then don't buy the game. Personally, I loved the demo, right from jumpstreet. If you think the demo is mediocre, then you're going to think the full game is a dud too. There are only 8 tracks to race on, and no special modes. The game is extremely basic. If you don't find it to be balls out fun from the start, then you're probably going to think the final retail package is a bit weak. Especially if you don't play online.

I absolutely love Motorstorm. To me, it's the best case for validating the existence of the PS3, at the current time. No disrespect to VF5 or Resistance intended, but Motorstom is the first game I would put on if a buddy came over to my house and wanted to see what the PS3 is all about. Graphics aren't everything, but Motorstorm does have some amazing graphics. The scope of the tracks that you are racing on is very impressive. Of course, alot of this has to do with the size and quality of your TV. Motorstorm is a completely different experience on a small non-HD television. But you get it on a big arse 720p capable HDTV, and it's a technological wonder. The game pretty much boils down to choosing a particular vehicle type, either motorcycle, atv, buggy, racing car, racing truck or mini Semi type truck. Once you choose your vehicle type for the particular track, then you have to navigate the track accordingly. Choose the high ground if on a motorcyle or atv. Choose the low ground if in a Semi or racing truck. Then even if you choose the high ground or low ground, there are still multiple pathways through a track. You really have to memorize the tracks to get really good at the game because sometimes you have a large rock located in a certain location and if you don't know it's there and you hit it, your vehicle explodes, and it takes about 7 seconds to respawn and that can be the difference between a first place finish and a 7th place finish.

Alot of people who have only played the demo, think that Motorstorm sucks because all they played was that one track, and they didn't pay attention to what they were doing, and they kept flying off the cliff. After their 8th or 9th time flying off a cliff, they thought...."Man, this game freaking sucks...all I do is fly off this damned cliff". But once you learn that level, you realize which pathways to take, and you don't go flying off the cliff very often. It's just a matter of learning the tracks and getting familar with them. I highly recommend playing the single player game over and over and getting a feel for the courses before hopping online. Otherwise, if you just hop online, you will be coming in last place all the time. You have to learn the tracks. Sure the game only has 8 tracks, and it doesn't offer any special modes besides just racing, but I still think the game is outstanding. A year from now, a game with this few tracks and modes would be totally unacceptable, but right now it's perfectly fine. Look at a game like WaveRace 64. Did WaveRace 64 have that many tracks and modes? I don't think so. It was also a launch game that was a technological powerhouse (at the time) and a very enjoyable game to play. One thing that does actually piss me off though, is the lack of link play. I'm pretty sure you can't link 2 PS3's together and just play a 2 player game with each player having their own screen. The only way you can play with more than 1 player is online. People complain about the lack of splitscreen, but with this graphical detail, I can fully understand why they don't have a splitscreen option. The frame rate would become super chunky if they did that.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Apologies for the double post, but I have to add a snarky joke...

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    Gfx and sound enhance the gameplay, otherwise it would be no point in improving it.
    I'm sure some of the gamers on this board would say that Gfx and sound enhancements haven't really improved on things in racers since Pole Position

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

What else does the game have going for it? SELL ME ON MOTORSTORM!!!!!!
    I think that's the main problem. A good game should be able to sell itself. Motorstorm looks like a fun $20 racer. I'll be picking it up when it hits that price.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What's the point have a bare game like this. No 2 Players or Time Trail, What's Sony Thinking

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure some of the gamers on this board would say that Gfx and sound enhancements haven't really improved on things in racers since Pole Position
    lol well, in generally of course =) You cant deny having a game in full surround + a 50" TV wont enhance the gaming experience Its like going to the movies compared to watch the movie on a 14" with mono sound hehe.

Just to point out, im not saying that this would make the game more fun than some old classics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

The irony of people that play and collect classic games complaining about a new game being "bare bones and basic."

Isn't that what makes classic games appealing in the first place? I DON'T GET IT. Sounds like more people justifying their choice of not buying the system. And you know what? That's fine with me--as I have all three consoles and can just be 100% totally brutally honest. I don't think its a coincidence that Anthony and I are in the same position, and both are enjoying Motostorm.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Man! So much hate!

I love the game. Better graphics, and gameplay than anything I have played on 360 or Wii.

The motion sensor and realistic graphics can't be beat by anything else atm, period!

Btw, I Hated the demo.

Get it home and play it. The game is the most innovative racer in years.

I'm starting to thlnk you peeps are losing it. This game is one of the best next gen experiences out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

graphics are a 10 , no doubt . but there are alot of flaws . for 60 dollars i want alot . just think of all the classic stuff you could possibly get for 60 dollars , i know i could get alot . the online sucks , the game loads toooooo long , only 8 tracks , only 21 events . plus its kinda hard to control . overall its ok , but also the best game so far on my dusty PS3 .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My perspective, to clarify, was that I thought I was going to run out and buy it on launch day. I didn't manage that, and having looked at the reviews (8 tracks, one terrain type, no multiplayer offline) I've decided that the game has some shortcomings in general design- none of which I've experience personally as I've just spent some time with the demo download.

As far as the graphics- they make me pee my pants. I love the lack of draw-in, and how you can see the complex terrain way far ahead of what's happening. I like vicious AI. I like the boost design. I like the handling.

It's an early game in the system's lifespan with a limited lifespan itself. I'll be excited to pay $40 (or better $25)instead of $60 new. It's not like that $20 will break me, but it's a philosophical thing. This newgen $60 for a new game thing is pushing the envelope. If you are going to charge $60, you better make it worth $60.

I think that if I knew a bunch of my friends would be getting online to play with me, it would make a difference. However, I must actually play games, oh, 4 hours a week if I'm lucky. And I can barely hook up with my friends on Xbox Live, which is alot easier than the PS3 thing.

Now I played the Gripshift demo after the Motorstorm demo, and I felt like I was driving underwater. Gripshift should handle more like Crazy Taxi. Motorstorm handling is very very good. I guess my only complaint about the handling is that the E-brake slows you down tremendously. It's probably more realistic that way, sure.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid View Post

It's an early game in the system's lifespan with a limited lifespan itself. I'll be excited to pay $40 (or better $25)instead of $60 new. It's not like that $20 will break me, but it's a philosophical thing. This newgen $60 for a new game thing is pushing the envelope. If you are going to charge $60, you better make it worth $60.

I can undestand what you're saying. It's very, very, very hard for me to pay full pop on a game. I mean, lets not mince words here.... $59.99 ends up being nearly 65 snaps when you factor in tax. 65 snaps is alot of cash to pony up for a freaking game. I'm such a cheap ass bastard, it's not in my nature to pay $65 on a game. I actually got this game with a Best Buy gift card that I had, but I consider it the same as cash, because there are always things I need to buy at BestBuy. Crackdown is another game I would love to own right now, but it's just so hard for me to run out and pay $65 for something. Patience is a virtue. If you can wait a few months, and you watch Craigslist closely, you can usually snag a game for $40 or $35, and that's a pretty big savings off the full pop price of $65. Craigslist is nice, cause you just meet the dude near your house, you don't pay any tax or shipping, and you can save $25 to $30 or so. Only thing is, you have to wait a good 60 days after the game first hits, before somebody is willing to sacrifice it at a lower price like that.

With Motorstorm I couldn't wait, because my PS3 needs at least 2 games for me to be able to feed it. Right now it's Resistance and Motorstorm. I like VF5 alot, and will try to pick that up used later on down the line.