Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How hard is it to get a job at EB?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by shadowforte View Post
    lol ok thanks. Well unless some in kent, ohio or evansville,indiana (or around these places) wants to hire me, I have to start thinking about jobs. This just happens to be one of them.
    Kent!?! Dude, just roll into the Exchange there on the corner of Route 59 and South Lincoln. They hire decent people and the ('"retro") game inventory pisses on anything Gamestop and the like have to offer. I would say that I built at least 50% of my collection on the Exchanges in the Cleveland/Akron area. I know a few people down there as well (mostly at the Chapel Hill and Fairlawn stores), not that I could get you a job but I could definitely talk to some people and let you know if/when they need someone. How old are you by the way? Do you have day availabilty?

Even though I have a decent career type job, I still think of working holiday hours during the Christmas season just to snag all of the $10 Valkyrie Profile's, Crono Trigger's, and whatnot that roll through there every year for those trading stuff in for extra Christmas money
    http://www.maximumcrowe.net/maximumc...outhpark3.jpeg

I bet Tugger wants to hear a song off me new album!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by drewbrim View Post
    Kent!?! Dude, just roll into the Exchange there on the corner of Route 59 and South Lincoln. They hire decent people and the ('"retro") game inventory pisses on anything Gamestop and the like have to offer. I would say that I built at least 50% of my collection on the Exchanges in the Cleveland/Akron area. I know a few people down there as well (mostly at the Chapel Hill and Fairlawn stores), not that I could get you a job but I could definitely talk to some people and let you know if/when they need someone. How old are you by the way? Do you have day availabilty?

Even though I have a decent career type job, I still think of working holiday hours during the Christmas season just to snag all of the $10 Valkyrie Profile's, Crono Trigger's, and whatnot that roll through there every year for those trading stuff in for extra Christmas money
    If your Exchange is like the ones near me, you can't work there without at least 5 visible piercings and three visible tattoos. Girls get a pass on the tattoos as long as their hair is pink, purple, or green. I love the store, I just don't understand the "uniform."
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Strawberry (Level 2) MonoTekETeA's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, my personal experience added up to working at the ole Devil Corp.

Q: Why do they always ask me about Subscriptions?
    A: Because the employee sitting behind the counter needs the numbers. Generally they have to get at least a subcription a shift in order to be on par with everyone else.

Q: Well then why do they bother me with a reservation, I mean, I can just give them the five dollers when the game comes out eaither way!?
    A: Because that is also something the employee is rated on, again, they should get at least a reserve a shift also.

Q: Why do they pester you about it though?
    A: Well a number of reasons, one, there manager could be the hard ass working right next to them, and they have to look good, two, they are trying to meet the quota, or three, if you are like my store, you just want the store to look good to the 5 mile higher ups.

Q: Why are the workers so stupid!? I mean I know most of these release dates off of the top of my head!
    A: Why?! Well let me tell you, between school and working, I on one hand, have little time to play games. I have a decent collection, but with games I haven't even put an hour on. Plus, the job its self is a buzz killer, and you just get tired of scum bags. I had a guy trade in games today, and there were dead bugs in the case. Though, I'll tell you right now, if the store had an internet connection, me and all my co-workers would all be on our A-Game, but we don't, and I just look like an idiot when I don't even know the correct title to Take Two's 2K8 Football game.

Q: So how can I make my self stand out?
    A: Well, I know a good way is just be a "Cool" customer, be open to different gaming ideas when talking to employees if you do get into a converstation. Give us reserves every once in a while. Treat us like people who don't want to be there an service you, even though it is our job, to be handling used systems that their owner didn't give a crap about, with them full of weed riddled dust just sucks. Don't come running in 15 minutes be for the closing time, and think "Thank god I made it on time to trading in my 50+ games."
    Oh, and don't be a guy to chill out waiting for us to open...we know what it is like, to wait for a store to open for a game you really want, but when we just woke up are are the ones selling stuff to you, it sucks. At that point of time, we aren't open to jokes or ideas or anything of the sort. Don't play the demo units for 30 mins. Ask if they want you to place new game's case you brought up to purchase, to place the gut cased back on the wall, we like that. And that is it...long list, but it is true, alot of the things that can place you on a good side of things.

Q: Hey man, can I trade these things in for cash?
    A: No you weed smoking crackhead! Leave us alone and take your stolen games someplace else, leave me out of it. They are most likely scratched beyond recongnition, and yes, you need a drivers licence, no a county ID won't work! No not your car registration, how the hell did you get here in the first place!?

Bleh, well that was a rant/inside look to a store or what not. And don't use stupid shortenings for games for systems, like the P2 or the P3 or Ma'en 08 or The Boxing(Fight Night Round 3) or P2P or anything else stupid like that. I may expand this list later.
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay
    I am really bad at spelling...no really.
    v A gift from Drexel923, Thanks homie! v

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Screw EB.

Get a job at Best Buy. You still have to put up with meeting numbers and shit, but you at least get a discount that (mostly) makes up for it.

Discount isn't much on games/movies/CD's, but a lot of other departments have awesome discounts.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shadowforte View Post
    I just need a job to fund my game collection.
    You'd be better off choosing a part time job that pays well, then.

Working at a game store is not a dream job, or even a good job. It's tolerable only if you enjoy the people you work with day in and day out. Just keep that in mind.

If you do decide to interview there, however, keep the following in mind.

-Dress well. Most gamers are clueless in this department, but it is important. Chances are you have no resume to speak of, so what else do you have to show for yourself?

-Don't be shy. Your job is to sell magazine subscriptions, talk people into reserving games, and helping people spend money. Nobody cares about your game knowledge, but they do care that you're confident, sociable, and willing to tow the company line.

-Be flexible. The more shifts you can work, the better... and the less hours you require to be happy, the better. Stores have limited hours to dole out, and will likely only need you for specific oddball shifts. In other words, unless you're on fulltime, you won't be working many hours, but you will be working many shifts.

Really though, unless you're buddy-buddy with the staff already working there, don't bother. If you don't enjoy the people, you won't enjoy the job... and you can make a lot more money for a lot less grief checking people out at Walmart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

There has been lots of good info/advice so far, but one thing that needs reiterating is this: try your absolute best to get a job at an independent retailer if possible. These aren't the kinds of jobs where you'll be making great money anyway, so you might as well enjoy it, right? A good independent is vastly more fun to work at than the best chain store because you won't have to deal with "corporate" bullshit, sales numbers and a tacky uniform. The problem here lies in the fact that you will often need to know someone or be known by the staff to get a job at one of these places. I've been at an independent record store for over a year and a half, and I don't miss the old job at Circuit Shitty one bit.

Of course, do your best to get out of retail as quick as you can as soon as your credentials can net you a better job. Many (not all) of the 'lifers' at CC were sad, self-loathing, hateful people, and no one should have to live like that.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

The local Gamestop is run by arrogant morons. I just know they looked at me funny when I told them I loved my Dreamcast.

On the other hand, the one a few miles away? That one rocked. Half the size, twice the games, and a really awesome guy working there.

I wouldn't get a job there, though. It's not worth losing your own integrity over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know people at both EB Games I go to frequently....guys at both places would say the job's not really worth it. One of the store has GREAT selection but they seem to be run by arrogant idiots. They would have Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on the PS2 for instance. The other one has really great people but crappy selection.

It's minimum wage like someone said earlier.....and be prepared to say a long spiel for a 1 minute or so when answering the phone. I called over there one time and one guy was giving them their "Welcome to EB Games-we-sell-new-used-game-systems-etc-etc" for at least a minute and a half.

Hopefully, the store doesn't have Guitar Hero set up ANYWHERE. I get annoyed when I walk into a store (Best Buy, CC, etc) and see these douche-baggy kids playing GH, finishing, then walking out without buying anything. I don't know if they looked around or not.

And the prices at EB Games are really outrageous.....unless you've done your homework on them, you occasionally get a steal. I don't know how it was pre-merger (signs point to the prices being better), but it sucks now. Like I picked up Escape from Monkey Island from them for $9.99 when the average price for it online was $17 - 25.
    Last edited by GuyinGA; 03-15-2007 at 06:27 AM.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Haven't we had this topic about a million times?

I can pretty much sum up all the past discussion:

1) All the typical rules for applying for a retail job apply.
    2) Being a hardcore gamer isn't necessarly a leg up and could even be a minus.
    3) You're going to hate working there, so why bother?
    4) OMG THEY THROW AWAY BOXES AND GIVE NOTHING FOR TRADE!!!111!!#!*(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    N30V3N0M
    Steam
    N30V3N0M

No wonder half of these EBGames workers don't know JACK about video games... I was thinking about working there but nevermind. I, for one, thought that you had to know about video games to be hired but how absurd is that...knowing about games in a video game store. However, I did met some employers that DO know about games and are gamers, not just recent but old school as well.
    Last edited by NeoVenom; 03-15-2007 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

one thing that has not been mentioned for any retail job

Bring all your information with you.

Most places make you fill out an application and things like your high school address and references can be on there, bring them with you there is no rule against that and as a manager it shows this person is prepared. Also take your time and fill out the form neatly, once you leave that is all they have.

Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to put in an application there tomorrow. My friend works there and might be able to get me in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i worked at a funco for six months,i liked being around the games and answearing questions but i HATED everything else about the job .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I worked there for 4 years off and on and quit during the merger.

Honestly, don't bother. Unless you know people that work there and have a lot of retail experience you probably wont get the job.

Even if you do, you will be doing the bitch work for the first 6 months and will hate it anyways. I lucked out working there because

1) I got hired from a friend
    2) I know how to sell shit

Once they took away all the extra money you could make I quit, because honestly I was making more from the extra warranty, subs, cards etc then what I was getting paid.

Don't be lazy and look somewhere else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I cant stand shopping inside of a gamestop, those annoying ass beeping things on the doors are so stupid. Not to mention the employees are pretty busy or have nothing to do at all. One or the other.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive tried getting jobs there at various locations in 2 different cities since I was 17, I'm 22 now and tried last year to get a job at one near campus and no luck. Theres always a shit ton of people trying to work at those places, and chances are some of them know people "on the inside."

Unless you live in a pretty dead city with 3,000 people, you probably won't get a job there.

Strawberry (Level 2) MonoTekETeA's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am in a pretty slow store that only uses applications to fill for the winter seasonal help. Truefully, that is the only time they are looked at, and have have to have about at least 75 applications upwards to 200. And we are a slow store.
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay
    I am really bad at spelling...no really.
    v A gift from Drexel923, Thanks homie! v

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I work at GameStop and it was easy as shit for me to get in. All you have to do is make yourself look good. And talk a bunch of crap to make you seem like you can be a good salesman. They don't care what you know about games...they just want you to selll pre-orders and subscriptions. That's all they care about. so when you get interviewd...just talk about how it's important to sell used merc, reserves, and subs and they should let you in.