Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do people feel about sniping services?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How do people feel about sniping services?

To me it seems kind of shady to use them. It kind of seems like it screws sellers over from getting the best price too. Just wondering how other people feel about these services too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's shady but it's the second best.
    In a world were almost everyone uses it, if you don't, that's a third best.

If nobody uses it, then first best for everyone, seller included.
    search engine @

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have nothing against snipers as I feel it's just part of the strategy of bidding. As for sniping services (programs)...it seems a little more shady.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:27 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DefaultGen View Post
    However trusted some of these sites are, i'm too iffy about giving my Ebay pass to a site, even if it just goes to some server somewhere. I snipe the old fashioned way, good ol' alarm clocks.
    i hate them, you lazy bastards, set your clock
    Join the 3DO Chat here -- http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, the age-old debate.

If a seller is that obsessed about getting the "best" price for their item, then they'll put a reserve or BIN.

When you say it "screws the seller over from getting the best price" I wonder if you've missed the point. People snipe because they're not prepared to pay more than a certain amount. Your assumption is that the seller is losing out because the alternative scenario is that the sniper places their bid earlier, and gives someone else the opportunity to come back and bid more. This is a misconception - the alternative scenario is that the sniper doesn't bother to bid at all, and the seller actually gets less than they would had they bid.

Someone who bids with a snipe is, in general, someone who wouldn't otherwise have bothered to bid - but they'll take a chance with a snipe on the off-chance that they could win something. I'd say at least 50% of my snipes don't win (probably even 75% or above) - thus the seller loses nothing there. The ones that I win, the seller gets more money than they would have done had I not bid - so how exactly do they lose out from that?

At the end of the day, a snipe is just a bid. It will lose to someone who has placed a higher bid - and it will win against someone who has placed a lower bid. That's how these auctions work.

Trust me, if eBay thought they could bump final prices up much by eliminating sniping, they would (it's not too hard - just do what Yahoo did, and give the option to automatically extend the auction by 5mins if someone bids in the last 5mins!). The fact is, this would lead to less bids being placed - and probably to lower final prices overall.
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dont mind them.. mater o' fact that's the only way I bid on Ebay. I dont use a service, but rather a program (Auction Sentry).

I figure, why bother putting in a bid early.. might as well just wait until the last minute before I show my hand. If I don't win it, oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I asked this in another current thread but this appears to be a better place for it.

When you use a sniping service it sounds like the program or service makes the bid on your behalf in the very last seconds. If this is the case wouldn't you have to provide your eBay user name and password to this company and if so why in the hell would anyone be willing to do this?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you download a sniping program that operates from your own PC then there's no need to give your password to anyone.

As for the online ones where you do have to provide your password, no I wouldn't just give it to any old place. But if it's a well established and reputable site like Goofbay, why on earth would I assume that they would do anything untoward with my details? They'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

Down to personal perspective I guess.
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I am surprised ebay doesn't add an extra minute to an auction if someone bids in the last minute or so. That way, it would be like a real auction. I have been waiting for this to happen for awhile, guess I am wrong.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

eSnipe has saved me thousands of dollars and headaches, which is truly priceless to me. The service costs pennies per auction. What the hell in this world has ever been a better deal than that?

I know some folks are opposed to them but, I say sour grapes to them. You like spending shitloads of extra money? Fine, but that's dumb, imo.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Sniping makes baby Jesus cry.

Also pisses those of us who are using eBay the old fashioned way off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfunkel View Post
    If you download a sniping program that operates from your own PC then there's no need to give your password to anyone.
    Not directly you're not but your entering your user name and password into a program that obviously communicates over the internet. At this point there's absolutely nothing stopping the software manufacturer from gaining access to this info if they wanted it.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    Not directly you're not but your entering your user name and password into a program that obviously communicates over the internet. At this point there's absolutely nothing stopping the software manufacturer from gaining access to this info if they wanted it.
    I'm surprised that you take the risk of connecting to the internet at all ...

Like I say, it's a personal choice. If you're not happy to do it, I am by no means going to try to brow-beat you into it. As for myself, it's not as if it's my Paypal account, or my bank details - there's a fairly limited amount a person could do if they had access to my eBay account anyway - and practically nothing that I wouldn't notice and be able to halt pronto.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post

You shouldn't put half-hearted bids in then. If you get outbid by a sniper, then it is either because (a) you didn't bid the maximum that you were willing to pay, or (b) because the sniper bid more than the maximum you were willing to pay.

If the latter, you were never going to win the auction anyway and you just need to learn to live with that fact - if you can't cope with the existence of people willing to pay more than you, eBay is really not for you ...

If the former, you only have yourself to blame - next time, place your maximum bid rather than some half-way figure.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post

The old fashioned way to fight wars was to march lines at each other, but times (and technologies) change. If one wants to be competitive, though, then he needs to change with the rest of us.
    Completed 60+ trades here on digital press.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitnes View Post
    The old fashioned way to fight wars was to march lines at each other, but times (and technologies) change. If one wants to be competitive, though, then he needs to change with the rest of us.
    Easier to hate you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no problems with sniping, but I do it by my lonesome and without a program

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I snipe manually, but when I can't, I use auctionstealer.com

it's free, you get 3 snipes a week and it places a bid with approx. 11 seconds to go. Although recently, I used it and it bidded with 20 to go. Maybe they increased the time?

I have no problem I guess with people who snipe via machine. I can't tell you how many auctions AS has helped me to win. Many while I was at school.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 09:13 PM.