Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ninja Gaiden Sigma for PS3 runs in 1080p and 60FPS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    I looked at the screenshots. Even though they are high resolution, the aren't that impressive. The high resolution just makes it easier to see the jaggies. For instance:

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/856/8...g_4416897.html

Look at the Ryu's arms. And the swords. And the cracks between the floorboards. It would take more than graphics to sell me this game, because it doesn't look that great.
    I'm almost positive that "high resolution" screenshot is not in HD. Do yourself a favor and watch the newest HD gameplay footage from www.gamevideos.com. It's really impressive when you watch it full screen. They also have a video that compares the XB version to this new one.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It has to be 1080p. If you look at any of the fine details, you can see that it is too detailed to be 1080i.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...injagaiden.jpg

Jaggies indeed! Hahaha!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan View Post
    So what do you want to people to say Jajaja?

"Great! PS3 is awesome now because Tecmo says a port of an Xbox game is gonna be optimized for 1080p and 60fps visuals!"
    Why would you say that if you dont mean it? You dont get it. This isnt about that you have to agree to anything. I dont care shit if you dont agree with this being great news, but keep it to yourself or speak in another way. Its fully possible to discuss and disagree without having a negative and "who cares" attitude. Its a saying that goes "if you dont have anything positive to say, dont say it". It is also possible to sftu. You dont have to speak ur mind just because you disagree.
    Last edited by jajaja; 03-24-2007 at 08:50 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I never said 720p or 1080i didn't look good. They do. They look wonderful, especially if you have a name brand monitor that really is a quality piece of technology. But playing Gears of War in 720p vs. 1080i isn't going to radically change your gameplay experience the way it might ground from standard definition to even 720p. My point was that 1080p isn't a big enough leap from 1080i or 720p to get all excited about.

I guess everyone on Digital Press's forums must've been at that UK PS3 launch and grabbed a TV then...that's my only explanation for MOST people to have 1080p tvs. Are you even living in the real world? Do you KNOW how much a difference in cost there is between 1080p and 1080i HDTV's????
    Not much at all. I just bought a '37 inch 1080p LCD for under a grand. My mom splurged and got the 42 incher for only $200 more. That's not a major cost difference.

And resolution does make a difference, especially in FPS titles where you need the extra resolution to distinguish a box from an enemy. Makes a huge difference, and playing Ghost Recon on the 360 was incredible. The higher the res, the easier it is to spot potential threats.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    Not much at all. I just bought a '37 inch 1080p LCD for under a grand. My mom splurged and got the 42 incher for only $200 more. That's not a major cost difference.

And resolution does make a difference, especially in FPS titles where you need the extra resolution to distinguish a box from an enemy. Makes a huge difference, and playing Ghost Recon on the 360 was incredible. The higher the res, the easier it is to spot potential threats.
    I already said resolution makes a difference in FPS games. That's the only genre where it truly helps...but again, like I said, if the game doesn't have super accurate hit detection or draw distance or whatever, increased res. isn't going to do THAT much for you.

Also, what brands of TVs did you buy? What's the refresh rate? Where did you get those? Were they limited time offers? Did you include the necessary extended warranty plans anyone with two brain cells will buy for "pretty likely to die soon" LCD and Plasma TVs? Whereever you got your TVs, it wasn't in a store any normal person will likely be able to walk into and buy without problem. You either got a big discount, a refurbished model or, in more likelihood, a 1080i TV that you think and say is 1080p.

Plus, keep in mind that CLOSE to $1,000 is still wayyyyyyyyy mor ethan the majority of consumers will pay for a TV. Ask a friend, a neighbor, a person you work with, whoever - I guarantee you (unless you live in a rich man's world or are surrounded by techie people 24/7) that no one really wants to spend more than $500 for a TV.
    Last edited by ShenmueFan; 03-24-2007 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Also, what brands of TVs did you buy? What's the refresh rate? Where did you get those? Were they limited time offers? Did you include the necessary extended warranty plans anyone with two brain cells will buy for "pretty likely to die soon" LCD and Plasma TVs? Whereever you got your TVs, it wasn't in a store any normal person will likely be able to walk into and buy without problem. You either got a big discount, a refurbished model or, in more likelihood, a 1080i TV that you think and say is 1080p.

Not, it's a brand new set. Warranties are overpriced and risky unless they come from the manufacturer. I have a year and if anything goes wrong, it will happen in that period. LCDs don't die and have a life of around 10 years, and that's assuming you'll use it a ton.

And no, this is a native 1080p Westinghouse LCD with a solid 8ms refresh rate. The only thing it doesn't have is a HD Tuner built in, which is almost unneccesary at this point. I know what I bought because it's critical for me as a DVD critic.

You can check out this massive thread on AVS forum about their sets:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&page=1&pp=30

Also, as you can see here, the price is actually a little lower than when I bought it:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Westi...h=westinghouse

Seriously, do the research before going crazy about the cost. 1080p simply isn't as expensive as you think it is, and in some cases, cheaper than 720p sets already.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For starters, warranties are NOT risky - the only risky part is wher eyou get your warranty from. If you get a warranty from Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, Sears, etc. you're okay because you can bring them into any store or in some cases a technician will come to your house (Sears).

LCDs won't die completely but LCDs are generally known for getting many dead pixels if they are low quality to begin with and used more than expected. Plasmas are tricky because they have more parts that need replacing often.

I did some research on your 37" TV...
    Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1140394400806
    $1,500.

That's hardly "under $1,000"...not EVEN close.

Then I looked at the other places you listed...
    The lowest price one ($970) is from Digital1234...and I would NEVER give my credit card to a business with a site that looked like that, let alone $1,000!

The other sites for the lowest priced models generally look pretty crappy too, which means I would be VERY leery of doing business with any of these, just on the off-chance something were to go wrong in shipping or with the packaging of goods, etc. Plus, keep in mind that you generally pay around $50 for S&H and then tax on top of the item cost.

And like I said, you can't walk into a store and get a 37" 1080p TV brand new for under a $1,000, no way.

Oh, and it's Westinghouse...not a "good" name brand most people would go with. Westinghouse has a long history of being known as a fairly low-end TV manufacturer, sorta like Dell in the computer world and Kia in the auto business.

OH, and your 37" TV doesn't have a tuner so (this is from Best Buy's product page) "Note: HD-ready TV monitor only; external tuner required for HD and conventional TV viewing"....so add another $150-$250 for that on your product price bucko!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

No, you don't need the tuner unless you plan on getting OTA broadcasts. Any cable company has HD boxes if they have HD service.

Westinghouse has picked up their sets immensely. Samsung was unknown at one point too. Name brand doesn't always mean better.

I ordered mine from MWave, the one that has the set for $999. Not a single problem. You don't know anything about the company you mentioned either. They're likely perfectly reliable for all you and I know.

NewEgg had it about a week ago for a little less than that. Just because you can't get it in a store doesn't change the fact that they can't be had for under a grand. You're grasping here. Of course Best Buy has a huge mark up.

As for the warranty, that's not how they work all the time. Best Buy used to deal with a third party warranty company which eventually went under. Regardless of when or how much you paid, you lost it.

No dead pixels on my set either, and if you search the thread at AVS or at Home Theater forum, you'll see very few have any issues. These are well made sets.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Regardless of price wars back and forth between websites neither of us know a whole lot about, the point of the talk of price is this:

**MOST** CONSUMERS will not pay over $500 for a TV, much less $1,000. **MOST** CONSUMERS are not savvy on HD standards, mostly because even HD people can't agreen amonst each other on a standard format (480p? 720p? 720i? 1080i? 1080p?), so unless they are tech-heads, they won't know the difference between a 1080i model and a 1080p unles sthey see it side by side...which brings me to my next point...

**MOST** CONSUMERS will not buy a TV they cannot see in person. How many times have you went in a Best Buy and said, "The specs looks great, and almost identical to that set over there...but man, this picture sucks!" Well, buying an HDTV isn't like buying cereal. Just because you've bought one brand before does NOT mean their stuff will be the same quality, especially with new technology. CRT TVs have been around for decades with years and years to improve the technology and decrease the prices. You can get an excellent CRT TV for $100 even if its made by a no-name company. The same cannot be said with HDTVs.

And trust me, if you're trying to talk a non-tech person into spending $200+ more for a TV because it's 1080i and not 720p or 1080p instead of 1080i, they'll listen, nod, and then buy the cheaper of the two. It's that simple and I hate that Sony and all these game developers think by shoving "HD CONTENT!" in our face constantly that's going to make the technology catch on any faster. Instead of spending all that time making Ninja Gaiden optimized for 1080p screens Tecmo should have been adding new levels or content.

But they ddidn't, because most of the new games on this generation of systems rely on gimmicks and crappy upgrades such as HD-support to justify their bloated prices and unoriginality in game design. I'm sick of it.

In how this relates to Ninja Gaiden, I'm simply pointing out that because HD is not readily available or accepted by the majority of consumers out there, insignificant news about tiny changes to visuals mean EVEN less.
    Last edited by ShenmueFan; 03-24-2007 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

That doesn't change the fact that there are people who care. No, the majority won't know, but for the die hard videophiles, this is important information.

HDTV sales have skyrocketed in the past year, so much so that widescreen DVDs finally outsell pan and scan crap. While I don't have any stats in front of me, I'd be willing to say someone in the HDTV market is probably expecting the cost of a $1000 on average.

And you can see my set at Best Buy. That's what sold me on it, but I sure as hell wasn't about to pay their price.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ninja Gaiden doest only run in 1080p. You dont have to own a 1080p compatible TV to be able to play it, hell, you can even run it on a 480i TV. But it has support for it, which is very nice for the people who actually owns a 1080p compatible TV.

Its like Crysis for PC, it got full DX10 support, but not many got a DX10 card today so it also supports DX9. That it supports DX10 is a nice feature for all the DX10 card owners out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

...not directed at Jajaja.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That doesn't change the fact that there are people who care. No, the majority won't know, but for the die hard videophiles, this is important information.
    It's information alright, but hardly important. I just don't understand why the original poster isn't pissed this is all they're getting in a PS3 Ninja Gaiden istead of new, worthwhile content.

HDTV sales have skyrocketed in the past year, so much so that widescreen DVDs finally outsell pan and scan crap. While I don't have any stats in front of me, I'd be willing to say someone in the HDTV market is probably expecting the cost of a $1000 on average.
    Widescreen could be outselling Pan & Scan because of many factors and may have NOTHING to do HDTV adoption. Pan & Scan transfers cost more than Widescreen transfer because another editing process is involved. DVDs are cheaper than they used to be and the profit margins are smaller. Also, most DVD players nowadays have a Zoom feature that people with older TVs can use if they want a 16:9 image to fill up a 4:3 screen. Also, keep in mind that film studios could be trying to get people used to widescreen viewing so they get interested in widescreen TVs.

A better plan would've been to NEVER release widescreen DVD movies (just make them crystal clear 4:3 pan and scan versions) and THEN make the widescreen crystal clear version the HD version. Hahaha...stupid film companies! They're gonna be stuck using the DVD format mostly for the next 10-15 years!

And you can see my set at Best Buy. That's what sold me on it, but I sure as hell wasn't about to pay their price.
    But YOU are the minority. Most people do NOT buy things off the internet, especially big ticket items like TVs. Gamers may buy more techie stuff than your average consumer but you forget MOST gamers are CASUAL gamers, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    Ninja Gaiden doest only run in 1080p. You dont have to own a 1080p compatible TV to be able to play it, hell, you can even run it on a 480i TV. But it has support for it, which is very nice for the people who actually owns a 1080p compatible TV.

Its like Crysis for PC, it got full DX10 support, but not many got a DX10 card today so it also supports DX9. That it supports DX10 is a nice feature for all the DX10 card owners out there.
    If you have a PS3 hooked up to a non-HDTV, aren't you the demographic Sony and Sony fanboys say are useless? I wouldn't even bother buying a PS3 or any of its games if I had to play with something other the ideal TV because I'd feel ripped off enough as it is and knowing that I'm getting the "crappy" value of a PS3 after paying $500+ because I have a "crappy" TV makes me not want it even moreso.

PC games are different and always have been. Usually computer games all have different setups and no two users usually have the same experience. The 'Miminum Specs' usually mean you can play the game exactly the way it was designed and get what the developers wanted you to get from it. The 'Recommedned specs' usually mean you'll see and hear better but the game is generally the same.

The point of a CONSOLE system is to NOT be like PC Games which constantly require upgrading of tech to always have the latest and greatest. If 3 people who own a PS3, one owns a traditional non-HD CRT, one owns a 1080i tv and on owns a 1080p tv...and all three have radically different experiences and only the 1080p one is getting the best value and fun out of this games, then that means Sony is giving all but the richest gamers a big middle finger and saying poor gamers aren't allowed to enjoy their products.

I say "Screw You" to Sony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Good stuff btbm.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post

See that's just a logical move. You don't screw yourself out of any market share and you offer something for the people who can take advantage of it. In the case of Ninja Gaiden it just makes the game incredibly stunning and while that may not have a direct effect on gameplay (it may have one too), it still makes for a stunning experience and really as gamer's isn't that's what we're after?

We don't want part of it, we want it all. Good graphics, good gameplay, good sound and all at a good price. Right now Sigma is look to deliver all of the above.

ShenmueFan: And yes i'm specifically not responding to you. Not because i don't have a good reponse, but because Jajaja and Gamereviewgod have already done more then enough arguing.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    lol, dunno if that was sarastic or not, but i only have a 480i TV so that image wouldnt fit me at all I wont get a HDTV before in 1 year, and thats the earliest.

If you have a PS3 hooked up to a non-HDTV, aren't you the demographic Sony and Sony fanboys say are useless?
    I dont know what fanboys say, but my point was that 1080p TV is optional, not required to play NG.

If 3 people who own a PS3, one owns a traditional non-HD CRT, one owns a 1080i tv and on owns a 1080p tv...and all three have radically different experiences and only the 1080p one is getting the best value and fun out of this games, then that means Sony is giving all but the richest gamers a big middle finger and saying poor gamers aren't allowed to enjoy their products.
    That would be like saying that Crytek (makers of Crysis) would give the middle finger to all users who doesnt have a brand new PC with a GF8800 card. Crysis look amazing visually and it requires alot of juice to run like its suppose to, but you can also run it on an older system, but it would look far from as good as if you have a top notch PC. The same goes for PS3 or 360. If you have an old CRT TV you wont be able to get the most out of it.
    Last edited by jajaja; 03-24-2007 at 09:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

It's information alright, but hardly important. I just don't understand why the original poster isn't pissed this is all they're getting in a PS3 Ninja Gaiden istead of new, worthwhile content.
    Maybe they never played the Xbox version.

[quote[Widescreen could be outselling Pan & Scan because of many factors and may have NOTHING to do HDTV adoption. [/quote]

According to Nielsen who did the research on movies that were released in BOTH widescreen/pan and scan, this was one of the key reasons for adoption. Even still, what else would it be? It's certainly not education on part of the movie companies.

But YOU are the minority. Most people do NOT buy things off the internet, especially big ticket items like TVs. Gamers may buy more techie stuff than your average consumer but you forget MOST gamers are CASUAL gamers, unfortunately.
    And Amazon.com is a multi million dollar company why? When you spend that much money, you do the research. Maybe not as much as I would, but certainly on pricing and features.

If 3 people who own a PS3, one owns a traditional non-HD CRT, one owns a 1080i tv and on owns a 1080p tv...and all three have radically different experiences and only the 1080p one is getting the best value and fun out of this games, then that means Sony is giving all but the richest gamers a big middle finger and saying poor gamers aren't allowed to enjoy their products.
    Isn't that the case for any technology? Wouldn't the person with a high end computer be able to do more than someone with a low end? And seriously, Sony's system is $600. That a huge middle finger right there.

Is 1080p a radical difference? No, of course not. However, it is a difference. You can choose to take it or not. Either way, you'll be enjoying a great game. It's not like 1080p support costs a few extra millions to implement. It's there for those who want it and will likely lead to extra sales. It made me want to play NBA Street Homecourt a hell of a lot more.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe they never played the Xbox version.

Widescreen could be outselling Pan & Scan because of many factors and may have NOTHING to do HDTV adoption.
    According to Nielsen who did the research on movies that were released in BOTH widescreen/pan and scan, this was one of the key reasons for adoption. Even still, what else would it be? It's certainly not education on part of the movie companies.
    Also keep in mind that companies look at certain areas of the country and demographics when deciding where to release certain versions of products. Video rental stores are great representations of this in the film world because they intentionally supply Fullscreen DVDs to towns where incomes are lower (and most likely won't have widescreen TVs or be as intelligent to know they're missing out) and more Widescreen versions to areas where the potential user base is smarter and more likely to have the equipment and know-how to appreciate them. DVD manufacturers simply think that by 2007, most consumers who buy DVDs want more Widescreen versions then Fullscreen and are adjusting processing quantities appropriately in the same way VHS titles became few and fewer after 2000.

Same thing in the retail world. DVDs, DVD players and such are to the point where even old people know the difference between a 4:3 image and a 16:9 image. They might not know specifics but they know you get the "bars" on the widescreen titles but also get to see the whole picture.

I remembers around 1999/2000 when Walmart actually had printed out flyers showing how much of the screen image you lost compared to pan and scan on traditional VHS/non-widescreen titles. They did this because they knew consumers wouldn't appreciate the difference if they didn't understand it.

Nowadays, people have educated themself enough to know that widescreen DVDs are generally more preferable than fullscreen versions. In another 10 years, I think most consumers will understand that High Definition is much, much better than standard definition. But that won't be for years and between now and then, all Sony and other HD-obsessed companies are doing is wasting everyone's time and money with this nonsense because 10 years from now there could very well be a whole new format for videos and screen resolution.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you read the article on the first page instead of arguing on every little thing you would know there is new content in the PS3 version. As Gamereviewgod says, many people havnt played the Xbox version, i'm one of them. Alot of people are big NG fans (im also one of them, but only for the NES versions since those are the once i've played the most) and are really looking forward to the remake.

It doesnt really matter to me because i dont have a PS3 and i wont get one before atleast a year when its cheaper. I just wanted to spread the good news to people who care about Ninja Gaiden.
    Last edited by jajaja; 03-24-2007 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Let me be the first to say...

This conversation has become INSANE!!!!!
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com