Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

PS3 best selling console in the UK, I would believe it. The Brits live of borrowed money, big time. CCs at the ready, they spend like there is no tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    Wow, this thread here was spun to something negative faster than over at NeoGAF. Out of 10 posts, 7 are negative. And belive me, that is almost unbelivable considering all the negative stuff there is over there and all the members thats active. Sure is popular to hate Sony and PS3 now a days. When will it end?
    Nintendo fanboys are jealous since PSX stole Nintendos lead (and the FF franchise)
    Last edited by tom; 03-27-2007 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by playgeneration View Post

PS3 is too expensive, .
    I guess the British don't see it that way

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    They all do, even Nintendo and MS (no company would do any different)

(Madonna's record company claims, she's the best selling female artist in the world. Just go into any record shop and see all those Madonna CDs stacked on the shelfs. By the hundreds. But for the record company, they count as sold)
    No they don't...Sony is the only one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darren870 View Post
    No they don't...Sony is the only one.
    Well, Nintendo been doing it for years....

(I used to work for a book company in the UK, when we shipped the books to the shops, my boss told me 'these are now considered sold, that's practice of many companies'.)
    Last edited by tom; 03-27-2007 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    Well.. true about the propaganda, but this started as a good news, instead people post stuff about how many consoles there were left (the pre-order picture) and how short the queues was i Poland etc. These are negative things so the thread spun from something postive to something negative.
    The reason that the conversation kind of switched from positive to negative was because there really wasn't a positive to report. It's been said again and again, Sony reports the amount of units shipped, not the amount sold to consumers therefore the numbers really don't mean a thing. And other than numbers the only other real fact from the original post was that the PS3 is now available in Europe.
    Last edited by Griking; 03-27-2007 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    The reason that the conversation kind of switched from positive to negative was because there really wasn't a positive to report. It's been said again and again, Sony reports the amount of units shipped, not the amount sold to consumers therefore the numbers really don't mean a thing. And other than numbers the only other real fact from the original post was that the PS3 is now available in Europe.
    so basically you are saying, Microsofts and Nintendos figures are wrong too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

trouble is, who do we believe? Knowledgeable industry people like Chartrack or some forum fanboys?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

This is good news for anyone who owns a PS3. It's also significant that units are on the shelves. It means Sony is over it's production hurdles and that there may now be enough systems around worldwide for developers to start releasing games---now that they can sell enough to pay for developement.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, thats not the case. Read the first post:

Sony sold 165,000 units of their total 220,000 units in the United Kingdom, so there are still units in stock in the UK. This was an actual part of Sony's strategy.
    Then again, people also spun this into something negative because Sony didnt sell out all the consoles avalible. I remember people where complaining about the numbers for US/JAP launch. They sold out at day one, but of course people turned this into something negative too. Its so very popular to hate, hate and hate Sony and PS3, its nothing to do with facts. Even if there were some super great news about PS3 atleast one person would find something negative about its, its simply crazy. Positive things arent excited, only negative things, wierd how many people are.
    Last edited by jajaja; 03-27-2007 at 05:45 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

tom, I used to work at KMart in the electronics department and every week a person from the music distribution company would come in and check quantities of CDs on shelves versus our sales list and then add and take away albums appropriately to accomodate shifts in purchasing and all that stuff. They don't count the CDs "sold" until they are actually "sold". They don't count the CDs stolen as "sold" either. They also didn't take sales away from an artist if they yanked a CD of theirs of the shelves.

Maybe Mom & Pop stores do have to buy all their inventory outright becaus ethey don't have distribution companies supplying their stores with product - but generally, big chains do have outside companies coming in and stocking/tracking sales of items.

Plus, if you think about it, if Sony (or any company) wanted to break all records for anything, they'd simply manufacture a billion quantity of whatever and ship it to retailers for nuthin'...in your perspective, they'd have just sold a billion products while maybe only 10 of them get bought.

Also remember that stolen/unsold products can sometimes be written off taxes so companies pay close attention to product quantities on shelves, in homes and in the manufacturing plants. It's complicated and 165,000 PS3s in UK is okay, but hardly anything breathtaking.

Even if a publisher made $10 profit off each copy of a certain title and everyone their bought it launch day, they'd only make around 1.6 million profit off a PS3 game that took millions and millions to produce. That's not a big margin nowadays...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

In the automotive industry (DCX) we consider a vehicle "sold" when it is off the ground in our yard and on the rail car. At the end of every month we make haste to get everything off the ground to get more units "sold" for that month.

Back on topic - I like PlayStation 3. It is very disturbing every time to go onto a forum and see all the PlayStation bashing. I guess its cool to hate Sony. Honestly I think PlayStation will offer better games through out the duration over the Xbox 360. Only thing Xbox 360 has 100% better IMO is online interface. The style of games I like will likely appear on Sony hardware long before it makes way onto western hardware. Its just going to take some years. PS2 didn't gain ground (with me) until 2002. Go PlayStation 3!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    In the automotive industry (DCX) we consider a vehicle "sold" when it is off the ground in our yard and on the rail car. At the end of every month we make haste to get everything off the ground to get more units "sold" for that month.

Back on topic - I like PlayStation 3. It is very disturbing every time to go onto a forum and see all the PlayStation bashing. I guess its cool to hate Sony. Honestly I think PlayStation will offer better games through out the duration over the Xbox 360. Only thing Xbox 360 has 100% better IMO is online interface. The style of games I like will likely appear on Sony hardware long before it makes way onto western hardware. Its just going to take some years. PS2 didn't gain ground (with me) until 2002. Go PlayStation 3!
    PS2 gained ground immediatly after release in all areas because of its DVD playback and people were crazy for the Playstation brand. I don't find it disturbing at all for all the PS bashing on any site - people aren't just mad about how things have turned out, they're mad and vocal that Sony is doing verry little to make up for all their broken promises and lackluster launches of products. There's almost unanimous praise for the Wii, however, and I rarely hear anyone complaining about that. People are just fickle I suppose.

Oh, and about large ticket items such as cars - of course those are "sold" once they leave the factory! Dealerships can't return cars, that's why they don't have every variation of every model on lot! Also keep in mind that brand new cars don't go down in value, or, if they do, it's very little. A brand new 2000 car still costs & is worth more than the same model from 2007 that has only had one owner and just 10 miles on it. The auto industry is weird the way it works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    PS2 didn't gain ground (with me) until 2002.
    see bold text

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan View Post
    PS2 gained ground immediatly after release in all areas because of its DVD playback and people were crazy for the Playstation brand. I don't find it disturbing at all for all the PS bashing on any site - people aren't just mad about how things have turned out, they're mad and vocal that Sony is doing verry little to make up for all their broken promises and lackluster launches of products. There's almost unanimous praise for the Wii, however, and I rarely hear anyone complaining about that. People are just fickle I suppose.
    I don't really care about how Sony talks all its trash. They can talk all the junk they want and put their foot in mouth, I look at what games are on the shelves (none) and whats on the horizon (lots of potental). Xbox 360 is to "western" for me and Wii has potental as well but only time will tell if and when it will hit full stride. PlayStation 3 has high potental for software applications that may interest me in in the duration, I need patience and I sit and wait while I offer support to all 3 major players. As always, its the software applications that makes and breaks consoles. Been that way pretty much from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan View Post
    Oh, and about large ticket items such as cars - of course those are "sold" once they leave the factory! Dealerships can't return cars, that's why they don't have every variation of every model on lot! Also keep in mind that brand new cars don't go down in value, or, if they do, it's very little. A brand new 2000 car still costs & is worth more than the same model from 2007 that has only had one owner and just 10 miles on it. The auto industry is weird the way it works.
    Cars depreciate the second it drives off the lot. A model year 2000 vehicle is worthless compaired to a model year 2007 vehicle. You posted it backwards. Heck a model year 2006 vehicle is worth less than a current model year vehicle. Dealerships push previous model year vehicles with cash savings, incentives, rebates, and discounts to make way for new model year. Thats why there are great deals on new vehicles during the summer and fall months. This summer/fall you will be able to snag a "great" deal on a model year 2007 vehicle.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, he's saying that you're flat wrong and that sony is the only one that counts units 'shipped' as sold. I'm sorry but you don't know what you're talking about on this one. I've seen references made to this diff. between sony and nintendo sales #s all over the place including in major games mags.

Furthermore, I'm an accountant (in canada, not in the US so I don't claim to be an expert on US standards) but from what I do know of American accounting pronouncements it would be highly unlikely for microsoft to even be allowed to record revenue in that manner. And from what I've been led to believe nintendo doesn't record in that manner either.
    Last edited by Bronty-2; 03-27-2007 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2 View Post
    No, he's saying that you're flat wrong and that sony is the only one that counts units 'shipped' as sold. I'm sorry but you don't know what you're talking about on this one. I've seen references made to this diff. between sony and nintendo sales #s all over the place including in major games mags.

Furthermore, I'm an accountant (in canada, not in the US so I don't claim to be an expert on US standards) but from what I do know of American accounting pronouncements it would be highly unlikely for microsoft to even be allowed to record revenue in that manner. And from what I've been led to believe nintendo doesn't record in that manner either.
    Well, I know for a fact that Nintendo did that with GC for UK. Maybe you're no expert on Euro standards either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, I'm saying that Microsoft and Nintendo report the number of consoles sold to CONSUMERS while Sony reports the number of consoles sold to retailers.

Quoting the immortal Lewis Black

Big. Fuck. Difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I know for a fact that Nintendo did that with GC for UK. Maybe you're no expert on Euro standards either.
    Would you mind providing a link to this "proof"

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And maybe you don't know your ass from your elbow.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would you mind providing a link to this "proof"
    Didn't you read his earlier post? "His boss told him so". LO-frickin-L.