Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Konami Classics Collection: Arcade Hits (DS)

Cherry (Level 1) DaBargainHunta's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I unwrapped Konami Classics Series: Arcade Hits for the DS the other night and played for about an hour, and I just finished spending another hour or two with it.

Before I get into the games themselves, I'll briefly mention the options:

You can change standard attributes such as amount of lives, difficulty level, whether to use rapid-fire or not, etc. There are apparently more complex changes you can make by going into the dip-switches, but I haven't really played around with any of that yet.

Most of these games had a vertical display in the arcade (but not all - Gradius, Track & Field, and a couple of others are the exception). So, uh-oh, how do they translate to the DS? Well, if you opt to turn on TATE mode, perfectly. Yes, you can turn the DS to its side and play these games in their original aspect ratio, using one of the two screens. I am still trying to get used to holding the DS this way. It still feels a bit clunky, but that could be because I'm using an older DS "Phat." In any case, you can hold the DS any way you want, and you can use whichever of the two screens you prefer. The designers went all out to let you customize the viewing options to your exact liking.

Of course, if that doesn't work for you at all, you can hold the DS normally and have the game fill the DS screen horizontally. Even though that isn't faithful to the original aspect ratio, it still looks great.

The one thing you can't do is split the game over both screens - but that might've just made everything awkward and messy anyway.

Here are the games in this collection:

- Contra
    - Gradius
    - Time Pilot
    - Scramble
    - Rush'N Attack
    - Horror Maze (Tutankham)
    - Pooyan
    - Roc'N Rope
    - Track & Field
    - Circus Charlie
    - Basketball (Super Basketball)
    - Road Fighter
    - Yie Ar Kung Fu
    - RainbowBell (Twinbee)
    - Shao-lin's Road

Here's what I've tried out so far:

Contra: This was the first game I fired up, and I still love it. NOTE: This is the ARCADE version, NOT the NES port. Yes, there are differences! No 30-man Konami code, for one. Still, it's an absolute blast to play, and it's neat seeing some of the graphical enhancements that couldn't make it over to the NES.

Gradius: Again, this is the arcade game - not the NES port. Whereas some might prefer having the NES version of Contra, I don't think anyone will argue against having the arcade version of Gradius in this collection. For one thing, it's absolutely gorgeous. Aesthetics aside, this is still the same great gameplay you've always loved. And, yes, it's still every bit as difficult as you remember it being.

Rush'N Attack: One of my all-time favorites. It could be my imagination, but this version feels much different than the one on the Konami GBA collection? Maybe that one was an NES port? Who knows. In any case, this is still every bit as much a classic as it was when I first played it at an ice cream shop in 1986.

Track & Field: Definitely one of the highlights of this compilation. As with every game here, this is the arcade version - not the NES port you're probably more familiar with. But truth be told, it's been so long since I've played the NES game that I can't point out what differences there are, if any. So far, I've only experienced two events: the 100-yard dash and the long jump. I still haven't gotten past the latter. I used to love these types of games as a kid, and I still love them even now. As per usual with this genre, you'll be pushing buttons like a madman. You can turn on auto-fire though, but I haven't tried that yet.

Circus Charlie: WOW! Talk about a MAJOR surprise. Think a weird combination of Pitfall and Jungle Hunt, but in a circus setting. You play a stuntman who has to jump through obstacles (such as rings of fire). Simple but highly addictive. I love it!

I briefly tried out Twin Bee, Tutankham, and Super Basketball, but only for a couple of minutes each, so I don't really have strong impressions to give of those yet. Yi Ar Kung-Fu was on the previous GBA collection, but I bought that mainly for Rush'N Attack and barely played any of the other games, so I'll have to refresh my memory of it here.

I have a feeling I've played the cream of the crop from this compilation already, but who knows, more surprises along the lines of Circus Charlie could be just around the corner? I'll keep you updated.

Definitely a must-buy.
    Last edited by DaBargainHunta; 04-06-2007 at 08:52 PM.
    Formerly the poster known as Retro Pro

My review of Road Trip for PS2: http://digitpress.com/reviews/roadtrip.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely worth the 30 bones. Also, I'm using a DS fatty too DaBargainHunta, and TATE feels natural now. I'm rotating to the left and keeping the top screen as the viewing one. I also mapped all the action buttons for these vertical monitor games to X & A. With my left hand in the lower position, I kind of rest the area between my thumb and index finger on the top screen and grip the back of the DS with the other fingers. No tactics with my other hand, I just grip like normal while pressing the face buttons. It's pretty comfortable now actually.

Time Pilot and Shao-lin's Road get most of my time, followed by Gradius, Contra, Pooyan, and RainbowBell. I really like the time & effort the developers put into this compilation. Most of the games are good titles to boot. I really hope we get a follow up. I'd like to see some more arcade ports like Super Contra, Life Force, Haunted Castle, Iron Horse, Ajax, Thunder Cross, Crime Fighters, Blades of Steel, and many, many more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaBargainHunta View Post
    Well, if you opt to turn on TATE mode, perfectly. Yes, you can turn the DS to its side and play these games in their original aspect ratio, using one of the two screens. I am still trying to get used to holding the DS this way.
    Don't forget the remote control playing with a 2nd DS! I think that's an awesome option in this collection.

Set a game like Contra in it's correct vertical aspect ratio, stand the DS upright, then control the action with a 2nd DS.

Strawberry (Level 2) Drag0nsfyre's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice Review DaBargain Hunta.
    Now if I could only find the damn game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz View Post
    Also, I'm using a DS fatty too DaBargainHunta, and TATE feels natural now. I'm rotating to the left and keeping the top screen as the viewing one. I also mapped all the action buttons for these vertical monitor games to X & A.
    I decided to give this an extended try, and I'll be damned, it works out awesomely for me. Now I can play TATE games in peace and comfort! Thanks, Xexyz.

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    Don't forget the remote control playing with a 2nd DS! I think that's an awesome option in this collection.

Set a game like Contra in it's correct vertical aspect ratio, stand the DS upright, then control the action with a 2nd DS.
    Ooooh, I didn't even know such a feature existed. That sounds awesome! Makes me wish I had a second DS. I suppose it's a good excuse to invest in a Lite.

Quote Originally Posted by Drag0nsfyre View Post
    Nice Review DaBargain Hunta.
    Now if I could only find the damn game!
    I know we're retro gamers, but you can't always rely on brick and mortar shops anymore. The '80s are dead, and they ain't ever coming back. Do what I did and get it online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Are high scores saved after you turn the game off?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arasoi View Post
    No Haunted Castle?

Well.. only I would ask for that anyway. =)
    Not necessarily. If they had the Japanese version, that'd be alright, but I've heard horror stories about the English version's insane difficulty.
    Gimmie a game, I'll either love it, or pimp-smack it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've fallen in love with more of the games in this set:

Horror Maze (Tutankham): This game is simply brilliant. Imagine a cross between Pac-Man and H.E.R.O. and you kinda have an idea of what Tutankham is about. It's a simple maze game where you have to get the key and move on to the next section, all while zapping any pesky enemies that get in your way. But it's not as easy as it sounds: you can only fire left and right, not up and down. Luckily, a flash bomb can get you out of any truly hairy messes. (I wish they had that in Pac-Man!) Of course, you don't have an unlimited supply of flash bombs, so you need to use them sparingly. This is a very difficult game, but I am completely addicted.

Shao-lin's Road: Fast and furious beat-em-action! But instead of side-scrolling gameplay in the vein of Double Dragon or Kung Fu, you're confined to three planes on the screen - similar to something like Keystone Kapers. It's a unique approach, and it works surprisingly well. You're faced with a seemingly endless barrage of baddies to mow down, so there's no rest for the weary here. The game came out in '85, and the graphics are very nice and eye-catching for that - or any - time period.

This collection has truly been filled with many pleasant surprises. I'm still going through the games, so if anything else truly catches my eye (and I'm sure something will), I'll post another update.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got the game yesterday. WOW, I am very pleased. I would buy every collection that came out if it included this level of love and detail. It has also turned me on to titles that I have over looked in the past.

Yes it saves high scores.
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by 2Dskillz View Post
    Yes it saves high scores.
    Cool. Why so many modern compilations neglect this feature I'll never know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Since Road Fighter hasn't been mentioned, I've fallen in love with that game. I wish people would spend more than 60 seconds with this one since it's a great game. It just unfortunately is easily dismissed at a glance.

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Cool. Why so many modern compilations neglect this feature I'll never know.
    I haven't played an arcade collection that didn't have that feature unless it was on a cartridge where usually they neglect to include a battery backup feature due to the budget nature of these releases. Strangely though, some of the early Digital Eclipse arcade downloads on XBLA neglect to save your high score locally like Time Pilot.

Saving high scores is a simple job to do on the DS due to the medium. This collection definitely saves high scores.

Edit: And my two Jakks Pacific plug and plays even save my high scores.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-20-2014 at 06:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of the Jakks games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Anybody else pick this up? I'll probably be buying it on Monday, unless someone wants to talk me out of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How about a Castlevania Compilation Now..Konami been lazy doing it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

i want 2 play the real contra
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    I haven't played a arcade collection that didn't have that feature unless it was on a cartridge where usually they neglect to have a battery backup feature. Probably a simple job to do on the DS since all DS games have flash memory.
    Guess what SNK Playmore forgot to include in their Metal Slug Anthology for PS2... Oh sure, it has a save feature... but only for unlockable content.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To me this is one of the best arcade compliation games to date. I was a litle nervous at first becasue I already had the gba version of konami and the ds version didn't include gyruss. I am so glad I bought it. These translation go over very well from track and field to gradius just awesome and now the price is 19.99. and the hi score saves is the iceing on the cake.
    A great deal and great game for travel.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone know why the hell Tutankham was renamed Horror
    Maze? HORROR MAZE?!?! Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick! That's the type of name you use for a bootleg Famicom cart!
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post

Holy crap that's an awesome idea! How's it work? Is there any lag?

Also, Can you play multiplayer with a single cart?

Finally, if you've got the GBA version, is this worth picking up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is no lag that I could notice using the dual DS mode in several games. In Contra it was the best. The looks I got from friends were priceless too.

The game also supports single cart multiplayer, so you can co-op through Contra and such.

Anyone who has not picked up this collection is crazy not to have already done so.

So has anyone else fallen asleep to the prerecorded runs through the games. They are great to curl up and watch when you are just too tired to play.
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com