Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I was in the only arcade...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So I was in the only arcade...

...up here near where I live and to be honest I haven't stepped foot in an arcade in probably 6 or 7 years. It's probably been nearly a decade since I dumped a lot of money into them.

Point is, I went into this arcade which used to have tons of great games like Tekken 2, VF (original), Galaga 88, Neo Geo (tons of different titles), Daytona USA, Alpine Racer, etc.

Now, all they have is like 3 Dance Dance Revolution games, an old Sega Jurassic Park booth game and crappy little unkown titles everywhere. Half of the cabinets must be gone altogether.

Oh, and goth/emo kids are everywhere and must use it as a hangout/spawning ground!!!

What has happened to the arcade scene? Anybody have a GOOD arcade near them anymore???

Cherry (Level 1) The_4th_Survivor's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As much as I don't like to admit it, the video game arcade scene is pretty much *dead* in most parts of the USA that even have an inkling of people who are at least a bit knowledgeable about usage of the internet or how to buy stuff at electronic stores.

Additionally, with such powerful home video game consoles, a lot of people can simply opt to wait for the games to come out for whatever system they have.

Unfortunately, the time of the video game arcade seems to have gone to ride down the sunset.

The only way that arcades of yesteryear can come back would be if there was someone was willing to dedicate space, time and funding in order to run it.
    ©2008 Umbrella Corporation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Portland has an awesome place called Ground Kontrol. I last went there in mid-february. A great selection of games and pinball machines.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is this awesome Aliens shooter game in the arcade near me.

Too bad I'm hesitant to drop a whole dollar to play it.

I'm a huge "Aliens" fan, why must it be a buck per play???

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

No Daytona USA in that arcade? That's odd -- here in Montreal, it's actually the most commonly found arcade game...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    No Daytona USA in that arcade? That's odd -- here in Montreal, it's actually the most commonly found arcade game...
    Daytona - GONE! I know! WTF?

What's worse is that there wasn't ONE NeoGeo cabinet. Not ONE!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just in a hella sweet arcade this last weekend, maybe 100 cabs, lots of good, recent stuff and some old stuff, too. Few shooters (Senko no Ronde was there, plus Blazing Star, and the ubiquitous Raiden Fighters Jet), tons of fighters of all stripes, lots of racing cabs (Sadly no Outrun 2). I'm overseas, tho.

Houston (where I am originally from) has a few decent arcades left, but they require some digging. Most of them have only older consoles, which is right up my alley anyway.

But yeah, I think in the US the big issue with arcades is the super powerful consoles present in most people's homes, at least most people who care about gaming. It's certainly no longer 1983, or even 1993.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by ShenmueFan View Post
    ...up here near where I live and to be honest I haven't stepped foot in an arcade in probably 6 or 7 years. It's probably been nearly a decade since I dumped a lot of money into them.

Point is, I went into this arcade which used to have tons of great games like Tekken 2, VF (original), Galaga 88, Neo Geo (tons of different titles), Daytona USA, Alpine Racer, etc.

Now, all they have is like 3 Dance Dance Revolution games, an old Sega Jurassic Park booth game and crappy little unkown titles everywhere. Half of the cabinets must be gone altogether.

Oh, and goth/emo kids are everywhere and must use it as a hangout/spawning ground!!!

What has happened to the arcade scene? Anybody have a GOOD arcade near them anymore???
    Where is this arcade you speak of?

What kind of games are you looking for? There is a Raiden Fighters at Livonia Mall. Pinball Pete's (Ann Arbor) has some cool stuff. My wife used to work for Alpha but she lost her job when they closed down the arcade at Westland mall they used to have Strikers 1945 2 there.

A game I personally like, Derby Owner's Club, can be found at TC Gators in Canton but then it IS a bar with loud music and drunk fools, not that there is anything wrong with that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seaside Heights, NJ boardwalk has a bunch of arcades, but the one on the South Pier I believe has a retro room, where they have every classic game from the 80s and early 90s. You feel like you were transported back to 1992.

Its a great time, and all the games are a quarter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post
    Portland has an awesome place called Ground Kontrol. I last went there in mid-february. A great selection of games and pinball machines.
    Dead link.

Never forget one of the best features of GameSpy:
    http://arcadelocations.classicgaming.gamespy.com/
    Great for spotting those arcades in the wall!

It feels as though this topic is brought up every couple of months and things haven't changed around here. We still have little arcades in the food courts at every mall (and we have several) and of course the high schoolers (which annoy me) are always hanging out there; you can always find goths and DDR. My favorite local spot is still good 'ol Flipper McCoys:
    http://emporium.turnpike.net/~ntrave...h/flippers.htm
    And of course their arcade listing:
    http://arcadelocations.classicgaming...?code=vavirfli
    Which is still very accurate (Spider-Man has gone away) but still missing some like MK3, Shinobi, Aerofighters, Crusin' Exotica, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Blocks, Mario, Wave Racer (I might be wrong but it's the big arcade with the seadoo), some skater game with a skate board, bunch of skeeball, and over a dozen pinball machines. Of course the list goes on but my favorites are Aerofighters, Bust-A-Move 2 and Assault.

Oh, and they also have some Neo-Geo MVS systems in there, which they haven't rotated any games out in years but if they sell it I'll be sure to grab that cab.
    Last edited by cyberfluxor; 03-28-2007 at 09:40 AM.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

South Florida is horrible for this stuff. South Broward has this place called Flippers, which incidentally is the only place running RHPS...

Maybe about 50 cabs, mostly shit. Anytime I'm there I drop my .50 cents into Area 51 and take the whole 20 minutes to finish the game...god I love that game.

Then we've got the two Boomers places, formerly Grand Prix Race-o-Rama. The place has gone to shit lately. Lots of cabs, mostly DDR and ticket-redemption stuff. It has this one corner of classics in newer generic cabs, but still not so good.

Not sure about down in the Miami-area proper, been awhile since I've had the urge to slum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't belive ya'lls arcades are so lame! out here in San Antonio There are tons of arcades all of which have at least 2 different Tekken Machines Time Crisis 3 or 4 plus tons of games like galaga that go back to the 80's. I enjoy them whenever I have free time

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's too many bad games and less arcades...
    Making too many DDR's...
    And there's not much love to go round..
    Can't you see?
    This is an arcade of confusion!
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sav127 View Post
    Seaside Heights, NJ boardwalk has a bunch of arcades, but the one on the South Pier I believe has a retro room, where they have every classic game from the 80s and early 90s. You feel like you were transported back to 1992.

Its a great time, and all the games are a quarter.
    I haven't been to Seaside in a long time. The arcades are still worth checking out? I went to high school in Point Pleasant so I'd def. shoot down to "Sleaze-side" in the mid to late 90's to play all the juicy model 2 and model 3 games. Good times. Whenever I visit my folks in Point I check out the arcades at Jenkinsons, they pretty much blow.

There are a few ok arcades in NYC, mostly in Chinatown.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We have the same problem in Orlando. used to be ALOT of arcades up until 5 years ago. and now Disneyquest is closing. But Im trying to help bring them back-

Its a more modist attempt to Ground Kontrol. It's caled the 80's Action Arcade. Im opening them in resturants in Orlando. We only do games from the 80's . this one has a Mario Bros, Pacland, Supercade(48 way) Trog (very early '90 but programmed in '89), Swimmer, plush crane, And a Xybots. And so far the reception has been very positive!

Check it out on my site
    http://www.abrightideaamusements.com
    Last edited by Arcade81; 03-28-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ShenmueFan complaining about something?
    No... couldn't be.

-GoTaS

Insert Coin (Level 0) Wolfgunblood Garopa's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's still a Dave and Busters near me, had an amazing new year's party there and we rocked some serious HotD4. That game is just over the top, but impossible to play for longer than 5 minutes without suffering serious arm & wrist pain/injuries.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

NY, Manhattan, Mott St, Chinatown Fair.

Still has good games, still pretty cheap, still has healthy competition, still pretty dirty. If you're in NYC, you should go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    Where is this arcade you speak of?

What kind of games are you looking for? There is a Raiden Fighters at Livonia Mall. Pinball Pete's (Ann Arbor) has some cool stuff. My wife used to work for Alpha but she lost her job when they closed down the arcade at Westland mall they used to have Strikers 1945 2 there.

A game I personally like, Derby Owner's Club, can be found at TC Gators in Canton but then it IS a bar with loud music and drunk fools, not that there is anything wrong with that
    There's also the Butterfly on Van Dyke, which has a large selection, although the machines aren't always in the best of shape.

Marvins in Farmington is pretty bitchin too.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives